Start by marking “The Land That Time Forgot (Caspak, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Land That Time Forgot (Caspak, #1)

The Land That Time Forgot

(Caspak #1)

In the South Pacific is a mountainous island called Caspak. Winged humanoid creatures, dinosaurs, ferocious beasts of prey, Neanderthals, "wild ape-men," and monstrous reptiles terrorize each other, and the mixed crew of WW 1 adventurers who fight across the island and dine on Plesiosaurus steaks in the company of a jungle princess.
Published May 12th 2012 by Public Domain Books (first published 1918)

To ask other readers questions about The Land That Time Forgot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Land That Time Forgot

Evgeny
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
A pulpy adventure at its best. A nameless guy found a thermos with a manuscript inside. The manuscript is the story. It began during the World War I when a young American was on a boat that was torpedoed by a German submarine. Thus began his naval adventure which quite unexpectedly (for those who did not know) became the adventure in the Lost World à la Sir Arthur Conan Doyle or Sir H. Rider Haggard. There is some romance too.
Lost World

Look up Pulp Fiction in a dictionary. I am sure the name of Edgar Ric
Sanjay Gautam
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sanjay by: Pramod
7/10

The Land that Time Forgot is a fantasy novel, based on the similar lines of The Lost World, in which a group of people find themselves in a strange land, that was cut off from the rest of the world since antiquity, where they find flora and fauna of prehistoric ages still surviving (and yes, that includes Dinosaurs and other wild creepy creatures). How they came to be in this wild prehistoric land is actually another adventure, and a different story in itself, which only make it more realist
Trish
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In 1916, an American civilian ship is attacked and sunk by a German U-boat. Some of the survivors and their saviors subsequently get stranded on a strange island; an island that no modern human has set foot upon or even knows about (presumably).
Thus, this thrown-together group tries to survive amidst various dinosaurs, Neanderthals, „ape-men“ and other dangers.

Sound familiar? Yeah. This must be the original story that spawned The Lost World as much as movies such as Jurassic Park and all their s
Bradley
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-shelf, sci-fi
I can honestly say that I had a lot more fun with this than, say, The Island of Doctor Moreau. That is to say, I thought it was a pretty nifty adventure. :)

It came out in 1918 for those of you somewhat familiar with the historical terrain. War was on everyone's minds and pretty much anything that let us escape from our world to some deserted island... or not so deserted... is pretty much the epitome of awesome.

The first half of this short novel was already a top-notch adventure with capturing a
Jim
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As Libervox recordings go, this one is pretty good. The reader, Snelson, has a voice that goes with the story pretty well, although his accents for some characters are just awful. Still, I wanted to read this book with a group & didn't have time for the old paperback on my shelves. The library has an audio edition, but it's out on loan & I'm still waiting for it. (I know why electronic formats are limited in their number of loans, but I don't like it.) This edition was handy & the bo ...more
Philip
Okay but not great, and pales in comparison to Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World, (which was written six years earlier, and to which this clearly owes a debt if not an outright apology). Not really sure what Burroughs' focus was here; the first half of the book is exclusively a World War I submarine story, and only does the second half take place in his nonsensical lost continent. Unlike Doyle, who at least stabbed at scientific plausibility atop his isolated South American tepuis, Burroughs b ...more
Duane
Similar to Arthur Conan Doyles's The Lost World, but with a touch of romance added. Entertaining, but not as good as his A Princess of Mars. I have yet to read his Tarzan novels.
Stephen Gallup
Sep 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In 1995, I sold a large box full of mint-condition Edgar Rice Burroughs books left over from my younger days. A coworker took it off my hands for the princely sum of $10. Looking at what's available today on eBay (where I retrieved a new copy of this title), that box might now fetch $500. Oops.

My recollection of Burroughs is that (possibly aside from the Tarzan series) he had a formula, which he used again and again: a doughty hero ventures into extraordinary circumstances, and along the way res
Kenny Bellew
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This short book was first published in 1918. Worts and all, this book is considered a classic. A group of people are stranded on an island with dinosaurs. To enjoy this book, you must suspend your knowledge of science and evolution. The book may be the source, or, at least, evidence of the beginning of the false idea that humans were the "goal" of evolution, and that some creatures are "more evolved" than others. Also, when homo sapiens were "more evolved" Burroughs describes them as being "less ...more
Madeline K. Worrell
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Audiobook

I enjoyed this (nearly) 100 year old classic adventure.

Mark
I loved this book. It's like a mix between Indiana Jones, Gulliver's Travels, Jurassic Park and a mutant sort of Planet of the Apes, with some other stuff thrown in.

I don't know that I've seen either of the movies (maybe parts of the first one, when I was a kid), but I recommend reading it first, as it is significantly different, from what I've read about the movies on Wikipedia. The book is rather short (only about 40k words, which is 10k words off being a long short story).

The writing style is
Scott
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book was written in 1918 and takes place during World War I.

We have a u-boat lost at sea that stumbles across an island that is secluded and untouched by mankind and all environmental and evolutionary changes that have taken place over the past millions of years so our heroes are stuck on an island with dinosaurs, saber tooth tigers, primitive man and all kinds of other monsters.

This was not the first time I've read this novel but I didn't remember how slow it was at the start. It took almo
Thom
Feb 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-series
Half submarine adventure story, half unbelievable lost island adventure, all pulp. Probably draws a lot from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World, published four years earlier and given much more acclaim. Both were originally published in magazines.

Judging it as pulp, the rough plot works and is plenty exciting. The tropical "island" is too unbelievable, with 3 or 4 species of early man in addition to scattered dinosaurs, and all just north of Antarctica. Worse, the dinosaurs aren't the menac
John
May 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Surprisingly, this novel works best in its initial chapters, before the characters reach dinosaur island. Once they finally do, things take an abrupt turn for the campy. Charles Darwin certainly didn't do this book any favors, as evolution is the driving force behind what makes much of this story both silly an inherently racist. Burroughs obviously believed that whites were the most evolved people on the planet, while blacks had barely come down from the trees. I normally wouldn't give a book th ...more
Z.S. Diamanti
Oct 02, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book like I have enjoyed many ERB books. His classic style of writing is always pleasant and the adventure for our characters in this one is not short on entertainment value. While not quite as wild as his Barsoom escapades, ERB takes readers on a very satisfying adventure into a lost world of long forgotten creatures and peril.
Carol Storm
Apr 09, 2015 rated it liked it
When I was 12 I happened to read the third book in the series, OUT OF TIME'S ABYSS. This was long before Amazon, Kindle, and the internet, so I was never able to find the first two books, THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT and THE PEOPLE THAT TIME FORGOT.

This is the first book in the series, and it was very, very slow for at least the first half of the book. That's because Burroughs has to explain how a bunch of cowboys, merchant seamen, etc. happen to get hold of a state of the art German U-Boat at the
Jen (Book Den)
Vicky Hunt
Metaphor Never Slaked a Dry Throat

The Land That Time Forgot greatly resembles Doyle's Lost World, in concept, but the execution differs in the details. As much as I enjoyed the story, and love all of ERB's books, it's not for the writing itself that I read him. Even his characters are often a bit one sided and stereotyped. What is most captivating about Burrough's is his creation of worlds and stories, and even his flawed psychology.

His logic is built on theories of social evolution that respec
Chris Johnson
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book of Edgar Rice Burroughs I have read. It's a novella that starts off as a rollicking adventure on the high seas during World War I. The main character whose name we don't know until near the end is travelling with his dog on an American cruise ship. When it's torpedoed by a German submarine, he's catapulted into a series of events that lead him to a remote island in the Pacific Island. The title tells you what to expect. The island's inhabitants are creatures and vegetation ...more
Stuart
Feb 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The book has a strong beginning, mixing a gripping WWI adventure with a land of dinosaurs story. It tells the tale of English and American sailors who take control of a German submarine. The two crews must work together to stop a saboteur who is intent on destroying them all. The adventure then moves to the mysterious land of Caspak where they encounter "the land that time forgot." It is a world inhabited by dinosaurs, primitive men and constant danger.

The author has a great descriptive style.
Markus
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a pretty fun adventure book that starts as a war adventure that ends up on a prehistoric island. Since I was expecting dinosaurs from the get-go, that made it a little weird.

The book picks up when they get to the island and they start battling dinos. Then they discover primitive peoples. The main character meets tribes one by one of various primitive man, each one progressive more advanced than the last.

You can see how racism is subtly weaved into evolutionary ideas. The primitive peopl
Randy
Mar 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been a good many years since I first read this one. I just watched the 1975 version, that starred Doug McClure, and wanted to compare the two. The script was co-written by Michael Moorcock and I thought it might be more literate than other such efforts.

It was.

The ending was considerably different and a few incidents were compressed into one, one subplot eliminated, and cheesy looking dinos.

The tale of a German U-boat, with the survivors of a merchant ship they'd sunk, land on an island tha
Adara
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
It started out strong with a great premise, but then about halfway through the evolutionary biology gets wonky and the whole story starts to get a bit silly and even a tad racist. This guy obviously believed that white people are the most evolved race on the planet. I suppose I can't blame him: he published this story in 1918 and it's clearly a product of its time. Still, it's a fun and imaginative read that'll give you a glimpse of what the average American probably thought of the rest of the w ...more
John Peel
Aug 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Edgar Rice Burroughs was always an imaginative writer, even when his ideas tended to get a bit carried away. This one is a fun romp (with two sequels), though rather unevenly paced. His heroes (who he doesn't even name for about half of the book!) end up on a German U-Boat in World War I (a section that goes on and on) that stumbles across one of Burroughs' lost worlds. Just as the story starts to get interesting, it ends. On to book 2 tomorrow night!
Tasha
I liked the first half, but weirdly started to get pretty bored when they reached Caspak.
Shane
Jul 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
I probably would have liked this as a boy, and boys are probably the intended audience. However, to me, the whole story felt too...silly. Not because of the dinosaurs and cavemen, but because of the awful narration from the protagonist Bowen Tyler, who divides his time between reflecting on his own strength and fighting skill and pining for Lys La Rue and admiring "the graceful curves of her slender body."
Jeff Correll
It was a weird read. Fairly short and some odd sentence structures. I will be reading the other two books in the trilogy. If you want to read Burroughs though, stick to Mars or Tarzan.
Derek
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun little “lost world” story. Not the best of the genre, but still a good read.
Leothefox
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Caspak has cavemen and dinosaurs! It sometimes has WW1 Germans and weird speedy evolution, but I may have to read further for clarity.

Yet another Burroughs series kicks off. This time it's with a message found in a bottle from Bowen J. Tyler Jr. Tyler went on a voyage on an ocean-liner with his dog, Nobs, only to be sunk by a German submarine and to later wind up taking over that submarine with the help of some British sailors and a female survivor destined to be the love interest.

Unlike a lo
Perry Whitford
In 1916 upon the war-torn Atlantic ocean, an American named Santa Monica, his faithful pet Airedale Crown Prince Nobbler ('Nobs' for short) and assorted British fishermen do battle with the 'boche' for control of a German U-boat, then find themselves harried across the seas and led astray by a series of acts of sabotage to the navigating instruments.

The crew remain in conflict until they find themselves without water but in sight of an unknown land mass in the southern hemisphere. The imaginary
  • Bertram Cope's Year
  • A Passion In The Desert
  • For the Love of Letters: A 21st-Century Guide to the Art of Letter Writing
  • How to Tell a Story: The Secrets of Writing Captivating Tales
  • Write It Right: The Celebrated Cynic's Language Peeves Deciphered, Appraised, and Annotated for 21st-Century Readers
  • How to Write Killer Fiction
  • The Complete Hammer's Slammers Volume 3
  • A Book of Remarkable Criminals
  • Mademoiselle Fifi and Other Stories
  • The Defiant Agents (Time Traders/Ross Murdock, #3)
  • The Call of the Canyon
  • Mentor: A Memoir
  • Man, Oh Man!  Writing M/M Fiction for Kinks & Cash
  • Lucy Maud Montgomery Short Stories: 1904
  • E. Godz
  • A Biography of the English Language
  • Fear Cay (Doc Savage, #11)
  • On Writing Romance: How to Craft a Novel That Sells
Edgar Rice Burroughs was an American author, best known for his creation of the jungle hero Tarzan and the heroic John Carter, although he produced works in many genres.

Caspak (3 books)
  • The People That Time Forgot (Caspak, #2)
  • Out of Time's Abyss (Caspak, #3)