Start by marking “Nearly Broken (Nearly, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nearly Broken (Nearly, #1)

Nearly Broken

(Nearly #1)

We’d both gone missing at one point, but Claire had one thing I didn’t. Someone to notice. So why was I the one still here and she the one still gone?

Nineteen year old Megan Smith has spent the past year working in a small town diner in the middle of nowhere. Life is quiet, simple, safe. Then comes the news that her look-a-like has gone missing.

Claire.

Still damaged bo
Published June 4th 2013

To ask other readers questions about Nearly Broken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nearly Broken

Start your review of Nearly Broken (Nearly, #1)
Alexis *Reality Bites*
SPOILER FREE REVIEW -mature content reader discretion is advised.
4.5 STARS out of 5
Genre: New Adult Romance
WARNING: If you cannot handle reading about rape or reading a rape scene then I highly suggest you move on. This book is not for the faint of heart it contains rape, kidnapping, cutting and sex trafficking.

This book left me SPEECHLESS. Dark romance lovers this one is for you!

This book ripped me apart. I don’t know any other way to put it.
TOTAL BONE CRUSHER.
THROUGH MY CHEST CAVITY.
HEART.
Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
4 stars!!

description

By far one of the best books I’ve read this month!!! Though not perfect, Nearly Broken is a well-written NA romance with plenty of suspense and steam, lighthearted and tender moments, and a side dish of dark (my favorite). I’ll be diving into book 2 ASAP!

The story is about nineteen year old Megan, an introverted and quiet waitress working in a diner. She’s running from her ugly past – a past that includes human trafficking & working as a sex slave – and so she keeps her head down and st
Debra

4.5 nearly broken, roller coaster ride STARS.

This book was such an emotional an unexpectedly surprising read.

This book was nothing like I expected it would be. It was not an easy read at all. Parts of it were downright disturbing and highly twisted. It is a story that includes kidnapping and some other very explicit content. Because of the many twists and turns, this story constantly kept me on the edge of my seat. The author's intriguing and captivating writing style managed to suck me in f
Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie

Frankly I don't know how to write this review without giving away the entire story. So here goes...

This is a book about Megan, someone who has been through a horrifying course of events. We are introduced to her when she has just escaped her prison, she's broken and doesn't let anyone get close to her. When Nick is hired at the diner she works at, she feels drawn to him. She feels comfortable around a man. Something that quite frankly never happens. Nick sees how broken and scared Megan is and h
Farah *Professor Dean's Beauty*
4.5 stars!

"I was nearly broken, my life shattered into so many pieces I wasn’t sure I’d ever get them back in working order again. I was freaking Humpty Dumpty, a shell of my former self, trying desperately to seal the cracks and fill myself back up with what I had lost."

I literally DO NOT know what to write here because anything I say will give away spoilers, so this will be a spoiler free review-

Megan Smith lives a quite life in a small town. Life is simple for Megan working in a diner,
Paula

The cover looks innocent, right? Well, don’t let it fool you. Nearly Broken is DARK and has some very disturbing, controversial situations. You will definitely be taken out of your comfort zone. If you’re a fan of C.J. Roberts’ Captive in the Dark, you may enjoy this book. The storyline is completely different but the plot does include kidnapping, rape, and human sex trafficking.

Now, let me set up the story for you.

Nearly Broken is a dark, suspenseful, and highly emotional story about nineteen
♥Rachel♥
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it

Well, here I said I’d never read another book as dark as The Dark Duet series, and yet I find myself again twisting in swirling emotions from the blow this book dealt. To be fair, most of Nearly Broken wasn’t on the level of The Dark Duet series, only the last 25% sucker punched me. While this didn’t leave off on a cliff, it did leave you reeling from the events that happened. Hopefully there will be some mending of this poor broken girl, because if I went through everything Megan went through,
Didi
UM...OH.MY.GOD....WOW.

That was some crazy, psycho, unbelievable stuff right there! I mean, disturbing, dark, angsty, emotional stuff. I have read a lot of new adult, but never like this.

This book combined some of my favorite things: Kidnapping, romance and suspense. This is the trinity for me, ;-). And because there is so much to say but saying anything would give away too much I'll try and be brief.

It's a story of being forced to escape your past, being wrenched from the ones you love and given
Geri Reads
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
4 stars!!

This book?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Granted, it wasn't nearly as dark as I expected it would be but I felt it's definitely the perfect book for those who are looking into exploring darker themes in their romance books. This book is definitely more on the sweet side but I'm not complaining though. I appreciated how the author managed to slowly unravel the mystery of Megan's past and how her past connects her to Claire and kept me interested.

The introduction of Zander definitely made the story a lot more inte
Vikki ~ *squee* lite ~

This was an interesting story. It certainly surprised me. I had a hard time connecting with Megan and Nick. I guess I didn't feel like they had enough reaction to what was happening. They both talked about how much they were effected, but I never really felt it.

I think maybe I've read too many "dark and twisted" stories, so this one didn't have a whole lot of shock factor. (view spoiler) The endin
Jessica's Book Review
May 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
Read More Reviews | Find Me on Facebook

This is the first review I am writing that I do not know what to say in fear of giving away too much in this amazing book. I want to keep it short and simple, but do know this is a MUST READ book. I spent my entire Sunday reading the book without putting it down because I just had to know the ending for Megan. I needed her to have a happy ending, somehow…

Be warned, Nearly Broken is a deeply emotional, disturbing book that will take your mind to places yo
Rachel Reads Ravenously
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
3.5 stars!

Megan has a motto that she rigorously sticks to: Head down. Stay off the radar. Haunted by her past Megan moved to a small town in Oregon and became a waitress in a small diner, the perfect place for her to hide. One night a girl named Thea comes in with a missing persons flyer with a girl that looks exactly like Megan, but it's not her. Megan doesn't have a family and her past does not match Claire's. Still, the fact that they both were taken and looked alike nags at her subconscious
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
****4 Captivating Stars****

I'm trying to get my feelings in working order over this book since they are all over the place right now.

The book was awesome and hard to put down, but there were times I found myself just thinking...OK - what's gonna happen....JUST LET IT HAPPEN!!

After Megan was found and explained who she really was...(view spoiler)

I was surprised by the ending and was finally
❀ Crystal ✿ -
Nearly Broken has easily become one of my favorite books. If this book was a living breathing thing, I would make babies with it. Or at the least with Nickolas...

Nearly Broken played to every one of my reading desires. There is NOTHING and I mean NOTHING bad I can say about it. I loved every single page and though I felt the end was a bit rushed I was a hairbreadth away from throwing a full blown tantrum and stomping my feet when it ended. Devon Ashley I have this to say to you in regards to Nea
Janell
Jul 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can easily imagine this book divided into three parts. And if it were, I would say...

Part 1: I REALLY liked it!! Definitely got my attention and held my interest. I could see why it was getting so many 5 star reviews. Sometime during the end of "Part 1" I remember wondering what is going to fill up the rest of the book?

Part 2: The middle part started to bore me a little. It didn't seem as interesting and exciting as the first part had been.

Part 3: This part got my attention again, but by now
Elaine
Jul 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
 photo a8d8eda467356eef3f7894a35469542b_zps2a3dac2f.jpg

Megan is a young girl working at a restaurant in a small town. Happy to stay in the background and away from the attention of guys. Hiding under baggy clothes and no make up.
 photo 0213fe25-7f08-4b80-9649-db41362b5dc4_zps863aaa3c.jpg
Megan has good reasons for this.
But when the new cook arrives, Megan is drawn to Nick and they find they have this connection.
Feeling safe with him she tries to get her life back to some normality after experience terrible things that have resulted in her reluctance to stay in one town too long.
 photo f9ad7b66c42021871a89f3dc09891162_zpscd7dcb96.jpg
But is Nick here
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
First I have to say DEVON ASHLEY you have done it again! Lord how I love to read Devon's books. I am captivated every time I pick one of her books up and read it. I mean I just can't out it down and this book is no different. I am so glad it is going to be a series because I need more Nickolas and Megan. This story has everything in it from suspense to action to all the things in between. I mean Devon knows how to write a book that hooks you right in from the very first page and keeps you readin ...more
Kelli C
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5-4 **** I wanted to love this and up until around the 70% mark I truly did, but i was extremely bothered by the 2nd round of torment this girl endured.

Megan is living in small town, hiding from a past and a man so vile. She is existing in a safety net of nothing...staying off the radar. Whe Nick comes to town and to work in the same diner she finally lets her guard down. She exposes her scars, literallly, and confesses her past. Her reality is that of kidnappings, sex trade, female brutality
Tanja ~ T's Book ~ KT Book Reviews
Subject matter triggers if you are sensitive to sexual abuse.

For some reason it all felt a bit off for me. Not enough time spent really getting to know the main character IMHO. I wanted to like it more, but I just didn't. I wasn't really expecting the path this book took either, but that's on me for not reading more reviews.
Brandi
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars!
Nawal
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book took a new turn at the whole ‘trafficking’ theme. For one, the story revolves around how the main character copes with life AFTER getting out of the whole mess. It’s to do with a girl who doesn’t much remember her time with the man who bought her except knowing that she was kept drugged all the time and the details of how she managed to escape his clutches. All Megan knows is how to live in fear, always keeping her eyes out for one of the two men who managed to taint her. Every dark co ...more
P.A. Warren
WHEW.Have you ever had a book move you so much your at a loss of words?Devon Ashley has done that.As I sit here with my head resting in my hands trying to get my head around this book Im wondering how I will be able to put into words how I feel about this Exquisite work of art.  photo tumblr_mnua5t4NA71rhsjzko1_500.gif I feel like I need a stiff drink after reading Nearly Broken.This will take me a few days to get over.Deep Breath.This is the story of Megan Smith.Something bad has happened to Megan.Something horrible.Something happen ...more
J
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-romance
Wow, this book was something else! At first I rated it only 4 stars because it was so disturbing and I was comparing it to other 5 star rated books like "The Tied Man" (or maybe "Captive in the Dark"). But, the subject matter in this book is somewhat different and in a way even more disturbing that those two books. But, now that I've reflected on it, this book does deserve to be right up there with those other 5 star dark and brutal books.

This book was horrifying, scary, romantic and unsettling.
Shari
Just finishing Nearly Broken and I'm hoping that this review will be coherent because right now my thoughts are everywhere. This book is seriously intense and heartbreaking. Knowing that so much of this book really happens to children and women all over the world just infuriates me and makes my heart literally ache.

Nearly Broken while highly disturbing is wonderfully written. Devon Ashley does an amazing job of making you feel. I was instantly drawn into the story because at first you don't kno
Tahsin
I didn't know what I was expecting when I started this book. all I do know is that I wasn't expecting this to be nearly ad good as it turned out be. I only finished Hothouse Flower last night and I had the mentality that I would be not nearly as satisfied with the next book I read as I have been. it was a pleasant surprise.

Megan is a strong protagonist - one of the strongest I must say. the situations she overcomes is astonishing. i don't know how many more in her predicament would come out on
Soshi_fan
This was a hard Bo to read because of the intense content not because the book was bad. Very enjoyable if you are looking for a very dark gritty read. Bring a box of tissues when you start this one. My only compliant was the ending. That's how to decided to end the book. I pray that there will be a sequel to this. I want some closure.
Roses Book Blog
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, favorites
I have to say this before I begin this review. If you are looking for a book about hearts and flowers you are looking for the wrong book. The material in this book is not for kids and not for the faint of heart. With that being said I LOVED this book.

Megan Smith has spent the last year laying low and doesn't want to be heard or noticed. She's happy working her night shift at a small town diner where she ended up one her way to Portland, Oregon. She still has scars both physically and emotionally
Tricia  Santos
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Received copy of ARC. Review to come!

See full review at Falling In Fall http://fallinginfall.blogspot.com/201...

I rated Nearly Broken four leaves! This book seriously should have come with a warning. So, I’ll go ahead and give it to you. I thought this book would be a light summer read, and it was in the beginning. But after the truth comes out, the book becomes twisted, dark, and heart-breaking. It touches upon the themes of human-trafficking and rape. Why was I not warned?! If you’ve ever hear
♥Sharon♥
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I knew this wasn't going to be an easy read for me simply because of the subject matter. Reading about kidnapping, rape and sex trafficking is rather sickening. But weaved into these horrible things is also a story about strength, survival, courage and love. I thought the heroine, Megan, was such a strong person and the hero, Nick, was compassionate.

Megan has done what she has had to do to survive the unthinkable. She is trying to survive each day coping with her past as best she can. She has h
Oana D. H.
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Megan Smith may look like a normal teenage girl,but her secrets ,the reason why she spent the past year working in a small town diner in the middle of nowhere nobody knows.That until she finds out that a girl whom looks exactly like her has gone missing.Who was the girl?How did she look exactly like Megan?Well,that wasn't easy to find out,but when truth is finally discovered Megan's life will change again forever.

Wow.I know that this is not a good way to start a review,especially with wow,but h
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• All the Truths (Lies & Truths Duet, #2)
  • All the Lies (Lies & Truths Duet, #1)
  • Deeper (Caroline & West, #1)
  • The Hurricane (The Hurricane, #1)
  • My Time in the Affair
  • IOU
  • Mine to Take (Mine, #1)
  • Out of Focus (Chosen Paths, #3)
  • Severed Bonds (Devastation Duet #3)
  • Shattered Lies (Devastation Duet #1)
  • Broken Trust (Devastation Duet Book 2)
  • Twisted Truths (Regretful Lies Duet, #2)
  • Where the Blame Lies (Where, #1)
  • Strip Me Bare (Strip You, #2)
  • Siren (Siren, #1)
  • Beautifully Scarred
  • Broken Lies (Regretful Lies Duet, #1)
  • If I Only Knew (Second Time Around, #4)
I'm a mom, a lover and a fighter, a coffee addict, a total smartass, wicked knitster, a Microbiologist, a baker of fine yummy treats, and someone who will fight you to the death for that last Twinkie bag of M&Ms during the zombie-apocalypse. Seriously, my addiction is that important to me. Oh, and I say seriously way too much. Seriously…

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Devon-A...

Ordained awa

Nearly (4 books)
  • Nearly Mended (Nearly, #2)
  • Nearly Undone (Nearly, #3)
  • The Nearly Trilogy (Nearly, #1, 2, 3)