Start by marking “Zwielicht (Mission Gamma, #1) (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #8.05)” as Want to Read:
Zwielicht (Mission Gamma, #1) (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #8.05)

Zwielicht (Mission Gamma, #1)

(Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma #1)

Der Beginn der Mission Gamma!

Es ist die Zeit...für eine neue Ära der Forschung. Der Dominion-Krieg ist Geschichte, und so macht sich die Besatzung der U.S.S. Defiant auf eine Reise durch das Wurmloch. Commander Elias Vaughn und sein "Korps der Entdecker" wagen sich in die unerforschten Regionen des Gamma-Quadranten.

Es ist die Zeit,...in der eine Zivilisation am Scheideweg
Published November 2010 by Amigo Grafik (cross cult) (first published September 2002)

Start your review of Zwielicht (Mission Gamma, #1) (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #8.05)
Jessica
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre-star-trek
The start of this book was a slow interminable slog where nothing happened except pages of unnecessary exposition. Indeed, with some sharp editing at least two hundred pages could be cut out without sacrificing plot or character moments just by deleting unnecessary explanation at every turn. The last third, when the plot finally started picking up some momentum, however was excellent and left me eager to start the next book, capturing what I love most about DS9.

There was way too much effort to t
Crystal Bensley
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Its very long but the characters just get so many great moments its worth it!
Adam
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twilight is the first in the four-book Mission Gamma series, forming part of Deep Space Nine's literary relaunch. Coming in at over 500 pages, the opus is a hefty read which chart's Starfleet's tentative first steps back to the Gamma Quadrant.

Given the green light by Starfleet Command, the Defiant embarks on a three-month exploratory mission to the Gamma Quadrant. Commander Vaughn soon encounters the Vahni Vahltupali, a mute species who communicate visually. With the new species' homeworld threa
Erica
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The universe is filled with unimagined wonders.

I really like the prospect of exploration that this novel brings. The Gamma quadrant still being unexplored to a great extent could, and does, bring new worlds and new species into the Trek universe.

The new race we get to know here is called the Vahni Vahltupali and their uniqueness is intriguing. Especially their way of communication which doesn't involve language in any way that I've heard of before. They speak through colors in their skin tha
Jun 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DS9 was the richest and most textured of any of the modern Trek shows, so the idea that it could continue long beyond our television screens and in a series of novels wasn't exactly a huge stretch. But the fact that it would continue and continue as well as it has is nothing short of a miracle. The DS9 saga continues on the printed page and if you're a fan of DS9 or just looking for a good Trek saga, you can't really go wrong with Twilight.
Twilight is the first of a four-book arc that delves in
Jill Carroll
The worst of the DS9 books so far. Not horrible, but not good.
Cons: prose ranges from cringeworthy to merely adequate, jarring bits of sexism/racism that would be out of place today let alone in a Trek future
Pros: good characterization and dialogue with Kira, Kasidy, Quark and Ro.
sunnygecko
The overall story was decent. The author's style is overly wordy and dramatic for me, but it got there eventually.
Breeanna
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little slow to get started, but ultimately a very enjoyable read. I could have done with a little less of Vaughn's manpain re: his daughter, but the Bajoran/Federation politics were interesting, and basically all of the aliens were incredibly well done. Star Trek has a reputation for having mostly only aliens that are basically humans with face wrinkles, but not so in this book -- all of the aliens are actually *alien*. The plot on the planet was a little dragged out and the resolution was a l ...more
Madeline
I just need to know that Nog is going to be happy.

(Twilight was totally okay - it was a bit over-written in some parts [this dude has some definite ticks - extending beyond the way words are arranged, actually - and they don't all work], and needed streamlining, and I also want to break up Julian and Ezri [not cause I don't like Ezri, I like Ezri, but would you want to look over your shoulder all your life for your bf's arch Cardassian ex??? no] but I wish they weren't doing it quite this way yo
William Sariego
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Set six months after the end of the series, this was a surprisingly good read. Much better than the usual serializations. Some old characters remain, and new ones are introduced, bringing a freshness to the narrative.
Yvette
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Boring but you have to read it to get to the good books.
Greg
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be brutally honest, despite the epic length of this opening volume of an equally epically long series, MISSION GAMMA BOOK ONE never really manages to scale the heights of the classic trek lore it attempts to mimic. Veteran fans of DS9 will no doubt devour it in a handful of sittings, but it must be said that Star Trek literature is meant to be a journey for the soul of the reader, as well as the brain, and thats where this book falls short.

There are no classic moments that provide the cheris
Matthew
Out of all of the DS9 relaunch novels so far, this one feels to me like the closest thing to watching the actual show. While some of the previous stories have certainly been more fun and more exciting, this is extremely character-focused. It's also extremely verbose and needlessly long, but that helps to provide a lot of depth.

For the first time I felt like an author had really got under the skin of the characters and presented them to me properly. This is especially true for the new characters
Jim Fulner
This story could have got to a 4 or 5 star rating, however it didn't due to George's poor use of detail. He sets this in the wrong order. For example he spends two pages telling us how empty the walls in Commander Vaughn's quarters on board DS9 are, and spends the same number of pages describing First Contact with a brand new species unlike anything in Star Trek History. returnreturnThe story was good, going through Bajor possibly joining the federation again, Quark falling in love with Ro, and ...more
Shelby Lynne
A bit of a slog at times, and Vaughn continues to be one of THE most boring characters (view spoiler), but overall, another enjoyable addition to the DS9 Pocket Books canon. The most compelling storyline continues to be Bajor's development as a planet & a people and the existential musings that surround discussions regarding its petition to join the Federation. They're doing a great job stringing along Sisko's abs ...more
Beckerjr
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Vanja Ilić
Not bad, but a bit too long and unfocused.
Would work much better as two sepparate novels.
Still, the characters are well written and the part of the story that takes place on Deep Space 9 feels natural and compelling while the Gamma Quadrant part is pretty uninteresting and kept dragging.
BooksAndFrogs (Mervi)
"The universe is filled with unimagined wonders."

I guess, if it had been less time from watching DS9, I'd have enjoyed this more. I had forgotten surprisingly much but some of it came back while reading. Maybe I should re-watch the series before reading more DS9 novels. :)
Les Hopper
In the 500+ pages of this book there's a good story worth reading and a whole separate one that I could take or leave. Overall it finished on a high note, but what a slog at times!
Curtis J.
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great re-introduction to post-TV series non-canon DS9. Love the new characters, especially the Andorian, even though I still miss Sisko.
Henry
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-bookshelf
Star Trek Twilight:
“The time has come... for a new era of exploration. With the Dominion War behind them, the crew of the USS Defiant journeys through the wormhole as Commander Elias Vaughn leads a "corps of discovery" to blaze new trails into the unexplored reaches of the Gamma Quadrant.” Such begins the first book in the Star Trek Mission Gamma Series. This book was written by David R. George the III and features almost all the cast from Star Trek Deep Space Nine.
With Captain Benjamin Sisko d
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book should have been split into two. There's just no way around that, and the constant switching back and forth between the station and the gamma quadrant is problematic at best, and is the reason it took me so long to get through it. Why 5 stars, then? Because page for page, this ranks among the best Trek books I've yet read. The gamma quadrant plot is everything Star Trek has ever been in its purest form - exploration of the unknown, in order to form a greater understanding of ourselves, ...more
Tammy
This is part of the DS9 relaunch series, that is, it takes place after the series ends, and continues the storyline. The plot has depth, arc-ish, and involves many of canon characters: Kira, Nog, Ezri, Quark, Ro, and some non-canon. Despite this, I had a hard time getting into this book for some reason. The main threads involved crew of the Defiant (Elias Vaughn, Ezri, Bashir, Nog, Thirishar ch'Thane) helping with the evacuation of Europa Nova and then exploring the Gamma quadrant and the DS9 cr ...more
Jose
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
Enjoyed it a lot!
A new adventure exploring new worlds on the Gamma Quadrant.
The several character stories intermingled well, it was like seeing a very good episode of DS9.
The Vaughn character surprise me, since i didn't know him at all, but he came quite easily,
well defined and likable, with the strength were used to in the ST captains.
The love interest of Quark was also a surprise to me, but i found it believable and funny to watch.
All in all, great characters, great story.
The author was very k
Julio
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this has been the longest star trek book I've read. Even though I wasn't ok with a few things I gave it four stars because I was pleased with all the character development. even though sometimes the book seemed to drag on a bit especially since at times there was barely any dialogue which I don't like. But still I was very interested in what was going on with a few of the characters and the mission to the gamma quadrant. Although I thought the book might've been unnecessarily long it was ...more
Dan
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ds9, star-trek
This is not a small book. For some, the high page count combined with the small text may be a little daunting, but for me, the strong writing and great character moments pulled me right in and didn't let me go until I was finished. This is an excellent continuation of the on-going Deep Space Nine saga, and I'm excited to continue my re-read of the DS9 "relaunch."

Full review: http://treklit.blogspot.com/2013/12/t...
Angela
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An important conference is happening on DS9. Meanwhile, the Defiant is sent on an exploratory mission to the Gamma Quadrant. This is a longer than normal Trek book, it does take a while to get into. Read the Gateways series first, as it does keep referring to it. This book feels like the start of a new season of DS9, I suspect it would be the first 6 episodes. There's good twists to the plot and really involving character development. One of the better DS9 novels I've read.
Weavre
Jul 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Weavre by: Michelle Cooper
Shelves: star-trek
I think the Mission Gamma series is one of the best the Star Trek genre has to offer, and I loved this book. I've also had a busy summer, and I'm feeling lazy; since this isn't a Vine book with a required review, I'll just say, "Loved it! Great summer read!" and be done with it. :)
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The entire DS9 relaunch (via novels) was fabulously done - especially the Mission Gamma series of four books. It was as if the beloved series had never ended . . . a real treat for anyone who loved the series and lamented its end. If you loved DS9, read the DS9 relaunch!

• Avatar Book Two of Two (Star Trek Deep Space Nine)
  • Avatar: Book One of Two (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • Abyss (Star Trek: Section 31, #3)
  • Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #1)
  • Rising Son (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Unity (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • A Stitch in Time
  • The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
  • What Lay Beyond (Star Trek: Gateways, #7)
  • The Soul Key (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #66)
  • Twist of Faith
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • Warpath (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Control (Star Trek: Section 31)
  • Zero Sum Game (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #1)
  • The Left Hand of Destiny, Book Two (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma (4 books)
  • This Gray Spirit (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 2)
  • Cathedral (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #3)
  • Lesser Evil (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 4)