Start by marking “Home Is the Sailor (Irish Country #8.5)” as Want to Read:
Home Is the Sailor (Irish Country #8.5)

Home Is the Sailor

(Irish Country #8.5)

Fans of Patrick Taylor's bestselling Irish Country novels know Dr. Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly as the irascible senior partner of a general practice in the colourful Irish village of Ballybucklebo.

But there was a time, shortly after arriving in Ballybucklebo, that Dr. O'Reilly was not widely accepted by the villagers. This touching short story tell of how O'Reilly, with a li
Published March 5th 2013 by Forge Books

Jessie Jacobs
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nice and comforting. The more I read of this series the more I notice the repeating phrases and motifs. But rather than become annoyed at the formula it feels instead like putting on a favorite sweater.
Oct 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: a, historical-fiction
More amusing anecdotes about Dr O'Reilly in this short novella. This story describes his installation after WWII in the small town of Ballybucklebo when he is trying to build up his clientele from scratch.
Bridget
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
I saw this a month or so ago, available only as an e-book on the Nook. Since I truly enjoy this series, I went ahead and got it. The author describes it as a "long short story."

It's actually the tale of Dr. Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly's return to Ballybucklebo after his stint in the Navy during World War II. He has managed to purchase the practice of his mentor, and is anxious to start his medical career, in charge of his own practice. It's very enjoyable, with Kinky Kincaid already being in place
Barbara
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This novella fills in some of the back story that occurred when Dr. O'Reilly returns to Ballybucklebo after serving 6 years during World War II. We are introduced to some of the characters that become mainstays in future books.
Peg
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A nice short story about Dr OReiley's first days in his new position. Fun for anyone who is addicted to this series.
Jina Howell-Forbes
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of Ireland, history, and multiple settings
Typical Irish Country Doctor Story. Funny, poignant, historical, story of small town life with wonderful recurring characters. Series must be read in order, so don't start with this one. If you have read others in the series, this is like the others, so no more needs to be said. The series is great for audio book. Great Irish accents and slang usage.

This book gets 4 stars instead of 5 because it was too short. Patrick Taylor needs to write more, and much faster.
Jim
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
I've heard about this series, so tried this short prequel. It was similar in some ways to James Herriot's books, but without the humor & animals. Well read, but I'm not going to continue listening to the series.

This is the wrong edition. I listened to it as an audio book, but one isn't listed & I'm too lazy to add it.
Dawn Moriarty
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love Patrick Taylor's Irish Country Doctor series. This was a pleasant "long" short story that explains how the main character ends up being the doctor for Ballybucklebo at the end of WWII. It was a fun and quick read, but now I have to wait until Nov. 2013 for the next full length installment to be published.
Bettie☯
Walking sticks ready

Read by Keating.

Lagom, adekvat
Judith Irvine
Jan 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: listened-to
I enjoyed this but it was too short!
Connie
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Patrick Taylor

I came across Patrick Taylor's name through another favorite author Maeve Binchy. Taylor's Irish Country Doctor series is fun and funny.
Diana
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable novella that describes the return of Dr. O'Reilly to his new medical practice just after he leaves his Naval service in WWII. Kinky is strongly represented in this sweet story, and adds to her appeal.
Diane
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
short but satisfying audio book.
Joyce
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable. A fine prequel to the Irish Country Doctor series.
Carolyn
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am not sure how to switch editions on the app. I listened to the audio version on our holiday road trip. It was hysterical! Fun to hear about favorite characters from the series, 20 years earlier. Also, I could listen to John Keating all day.
Margaret Bronson
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Delightful read, reminds me of Herriot.
Catherine
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this short audio book. I love small town stories about quirky characters. The Irish accent was a bonus!
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am not sure where this book should technically fall in the series. It is considered a "prequel" to the series but I feel that while the story does precede the books, it builds upon the flashbacks developed throughout the other novels. It would turn most readers off of the series if this was the first book that they read.

In it's publication order it falls as #7.5 which also does not quite fit in with the two books surrounding it. I am however, a stickler for things being in order and this book
Berdena
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful! Only wish it were longer.

Good connection between the other books. Glad we could find IG here when we could not find it in print. Thank you.
Diana
Re-read 2018

This short story in the Irish Country series looks into the first few months of Dr. O'Reilly's taking over of the practice in Ballybucklebo. He's recently been demobbed, released, from service after the end of the Second World War. The doctor he worked with as an assistant prior to his call-up has since passed, and Dr. O'Reilly has bought the practice from the doctor's estate. It was interesting trying to read about some of the children that you know as new adults in the series. As w
Linda Kauppi
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
"Home is the Sailor" by Patrick Taylor is a short story giving fans of "The Irish Country Doctor"series a glimpse of Dr. O'Reilly's return to the village of Ballybucklebo, following the war. it is a nice little enticement tiding us over until the next full length novel of the series is published (or hopefully another book in the series will be written). This is an ebook readable in a short time.
Kathy
Fantastic a very good book. He catches you from beginning to end. And makes you want to read more. It is a quaint IRISH town setting about a Dr and his practice and life in Ballybuckleboo. Worth reading you'll get hooked. I have read two other books by Taylor an IRISH country Dr. And an IRISH country village both great.

I look forward to reading more in the future. I hope you find it as interesting as I found. excellent.
Paula
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very, very short story about Dr. O'Reilly coming home from WW II and trying to establish his medical practice. This story has the warmth that all the Irish Country Doctor stories have. As well as presenting the problems of starting a practice, this short story introduces many of the infamous personalities in the town, as well as the beloved Kinky Kincaid, housekeeper and cook extraordinaire for the Dear Doctors.
Alaine
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
My local Library did not have a hard copy of this "Irish Country" story, they only had it on CD. So instead of reading this, I've listened to it. It was a shorter story than usual, but enjoyable none the less. Hearing the words pronounced in a lovely Irish brogue was wonderful. If I find a hard copy, I would be happy to read the story just to say I have.
Jean Marie
In the same realm as the rest of the series but a short story that gives insight into the doctor's transition into his practice after he is demobilized from the WWII Navy.It's fun to see the Irish language that author Taylor liberally sprinkles through all these books.
Chris Porter
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
After the disappointment of The Wily O'Reilly, this one reminded me of why I like Patrick Taylor's books. This was a short story which is not my favorite type of reading, but I really enjoyed it.
Liz Waters
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Breath of Fresh Air

In the spirit of "Doc Martin" and "Ballykissangel", this story is a breath of frsh air with an Irish lilt to its tone. Enjoyed it immensely.
Jennifer Morefield
Nov 30, 2014 rated it liked it
A good short prequel. The dialect writing and vocabulary made it a wee bit difficult to understand.
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
A cute little additional story added to a great series. Wished it was longer!
Betty Strohecker
This short story tells of O'Reilly's return from the war and setting up his practice in Ballybucklebo.
  • The Death of an Irish Politician (Peter McGarr, #1)
  • The Enchanted Isle
  • The Opposite of Art
  • Fairacre Festival (Fairacre, #7)
  • Dubai Wives
  • Shannon
  • The Bathhouse
  • School Days
  • Hope Springs (Hope Springs #2)
  • Afakasi Woman
  • A Cowrie of Hope
  • Brendan
  • Kissing Babies at the Piggly Wiggly (Piggly Wiggly, #2)
  • The Chisellers (Agnes Browne, #2)
  • Sport (Harriet the Spy #3)
  • Tales of the Tikongs
  • Breath of Bones: A Tale of the Golem
There is more than one author with this name

Patrick Taylor, M.D., is the author of the Irish Country books, including An Irish Country Doctor, An Irish Country Village, An Irish Country Christmas, An Irish Country Girl, and An Irish Country Courtship. Taylor was born and raised in Bangor, County Down, in Northern Ireland. After qualifying as a specialist in 1969, he worked in Canada for thirty-one

Irish Country (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • An Irish Country Doctor (Irish Country #1)
  • An Irish Country Village (Irish Country #2)
  • An Irish Country Christmas (Irish Country #3)
  • An Irish Country Girl (Irish Country #4)
  • An Irish Country Courtship (Irish Country #5)
  • A Dublin Student Doctor  (Irish Country #6)
  • An Irish Country Wedding (Irish Country #7)
  • Fingal O'Reilly, Irish Doctor (Irish Country #8)
  • An Irish Doctor in Peace and at War (Irish Country #9)
  • An Irish Doctor in Love and at Sea (Irish Country #10)