Start by marking “Home Is the Sailor (Irish Country #8.5)” as Want to Read:
Home Is the Sailor (Irish Country #8.5)

Home Is the Sailor

(Irish Country #8.5)

Fans of Patrick Taylor's bestselling Irish Country novels know Dr. Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly as the irascible senior partner of a general practice in the colourful Irish village of Ballybucklebo.

But there was a time, shortly after arriving in Ballybucklebo, that Dr. O'Reilly was not widely accepted by the villagers. This touching short story tell of how O'Reilly, with a li
Published March 5th 2013 by Forge Books

Start your review of Home Is the Sailor (Irish Country #8.5)
Jessie Myrriah
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nice and comforting. The more I read of this series the more I notice the repeating phrases and motifs. But rather than become annoyed at the formula it feels instead like putting on a favorite sweater.
Oct 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical-fiction, a
More amusing anecdotes about Dr O'Reilly in this short novella. This story describes his installation after WWII in the small town of Ballybucklebo when he is trying to build up his clientele from scratch.
Bridget
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
I saw this a month or so ago, available only as an e-book on the Nook. Since I truly enjoy this series, I went ahead and got it. The author describes it as a "long short story."

It's actually the tale of Dr. Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly's return to Ballybucklebo after his stint in the Navy during World War II. He has managed to purchase the practice of his mentor, and is anxious to start his medical career, in charge of his own practice. It's very enjoyable, with Kinky Kincaid already being in place
Diana
Re-read 2018

This short story in the Irish Country series looks into the first few months of Dr. O'Reilly's taking over of the practice in Ballybucklebo. He's recently been demobbed, released, from service after the end of the Second World War. The doctor he worked with as an assistant prior to his call-up has since passed, and Dr. O'Reilly has bought the practice from the doctor's estate. It was interesting trying to read about some of the children that you know as new adults in the series. As w
Barbara
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This novella fills in some of the back story that occurred when Dr. O'Reilly returns to Ballybucklebo after serving 6 years during World War II. We are introduced to some of the characters that become mainstays in future books.
Peg
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A nice short story about Dr OReiley's first days in his new position. Fun for anyone who is addicted to this series.
Robin_R
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was fun! I haven't read this Irish Country Doctor series, so I thought I'd start with this novella about the beginning of it all. I chuckled all the way through it.
Annette
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Sweet, light-hearted short story that introduces a community to the reader. Stereotypically rural Irish tropes are here (to a fault) in a story that leaves little to the imagination. If you're politically attuned and sensitive, know that this is in Ulster/northern Ireland, and honours British rule. No republicans were harmed in the telling of the tale, but it did annoy me that it's so very British.
Jina Howell-Forbes
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of Ireland, history, and multiple settings
Typical Irish Country Doctor Story. Funny, poignant, historical, story of small town life with wonderful recurring characters. Series must be read in order, so don't start with this one. If you have read others in the series, this is like the others, so no more needs to be said. The series is great for audio book. Great Irish accents and slang usage.

This book gets 4 stars instead of 5 because it was too short. Patrick Taylor needs to write more, and much faster.
Jim
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
I've heard about this series, so tried this short prequel. It was similar in some ways to James Herriot's books, but without the humor & animals. Well read, but I'm not going to continue listening to the series.

This is the wrong edition. I listened to it as an audio book, but one isn't listed & I'm too lazy to add it.
Dawn Moriarty
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love Patrick Taylor's Irish Country Doctor series. This was a pleasant "long" short story that explains how the main character ends up being the doctor for Ballybucklebo at the end of WWII. It was a fun and quick read, but now I have to wait until Nov. 2013 for the next full length installment to be published.
Bettie
Walking sticks ready

Read by Keating.

Lagom, adekvat
Judith Irvine
Jan 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: listened-to
I enjoyed this but it was too short!
Teri Pre
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
It pays to request books from your library!
Connie
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Patrick Taylor

I came across Patrick Taylor's name through another favorite author Maeve Binchy. Taylor's Irish Country Doctor series is fun and funny.
Diana
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable novella that describes the return of Dr. O'Reilly to his new medical practice just after he leaves his Naval service in WWII. Kinky is strongly represented in this sweet story, and adds to her appeal.
Bianca Orellana
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
For someone who has yet to read this series (but really, really wants to!) this was a great little introduction to Taylor's Irish Country world! I listened to the audiobook, and John Keating's narration made this story come alive for me. Great work.
Judy
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prequel

This is a great insight into how Dr. O’Reilly got started in his practice in Ballybucklebo after he returned from the war. It was interesting to see that some residents of the little town you meet in previous books were living there when Dr. O first opened his practice.
Libby
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
A short story I tried out to see if I thought I’d like the series of books. I like the audiobook because of the Irish accents. The stories may remind you of James Herriot’s village life though this is a human doctor not a vet.
Joyce
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable. A fine prequel to the Irish Country Doctor series.
Diane
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
short but satisfying audio book.
Carolyn
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am not sure how to switch editions on the app. I listened to the audio version on our holiday road trip. It was hysterical! Fun to hear about favorite characters from the series, 20 years earlier. Also, I could listen to John Keating all day.
Margaret Bronson
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Delightful read, reminds me of Herriot.
Anne Heyob
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not long enough

He writes excellent books. I have read the whole series except the newest one. I am looking forward to the new one
John Monaghan
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Taylor continues to spin the story and I am hooked.
Terry
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short little book going back in time to when Fingal returned to Ballybucklebo after the war.
Kris Hoffman
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A real story

Very enjoyable , one of down to earth life and well written, I enjoyed it and

Will look for more written by this auth

Or,
Catherine
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this short audio book. I love small town stories about quirky characters. The Irish accent was a bonus!
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am not sure where this book should technically fall in the series. It is considered a "prequel" to the series but I feel that while the story does precede the books, it builds upon the flashbacks developed throughout the other novels. It would turn most readers off of the series if this was the first book that they read.

In it's publication order it falls as #7.5 which also does not quite fit in with the two books surrounding it. I am however, a stickler for things being in order and this book
Berdena
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful! Only wish it were longer.

Good connection between the other books. Glad we could find IG here when we could not find it in print. Thank you.

• The Young Country Doctor Book 5: Bilbury Village
  • The Young Country Doctor Book 13: Bilbury Tales
  • The Young Country Doctor Book 3: Bilbury Revels
  • The Young Country Doctor Book 14: Bilbury Days
  • The Young Country Doctor Book 8: Bilbury Tonic
  • The Young Country Doctor Book 6: Bilbury Pie (short stories)
  • The Young Country Doctor Book 15: Bilbury Memories
  • The Young Country Doctor Book 7: Bilbury Pudding
  • Constable Across the Moors (Constable #4)
  • The Young Country Doctor Book 10: Bilbury Mixture
  • Mrs Caldicot's Cabbage War
  • The Young Country Doctor Book 11: Bilbury Delights
  • The Young Country Doctor Book 9: Bilbury Relish
  • Yes to Life: In Spite of Everything
There is more than one author with this name

Patrick Taylor, M.D., is the author of the Irish Country books, including An Irish Country Doctor, An Irish Country Village, An Irish Country Christmas, An Irish Country Girl, and An Irish Country Courtship. Taylor was born and raised in Bangor, County Down, in Northern Ireland. After qualifying as a specialist in 1969, he worked in Canada for thirty-one

Irish Country (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • An Irish Country Doctor (Irish Country #1)
  • An Irish Country Village (Irish Country #2)
  • An Irish Country Christmas (Irish Country #3)
  • An Irish Country Girl (Irish Country #4)
  • An Irish Country Courtship (Irish Country #5)
  • A Dublin Student Doctor  (Irish Country #6)
  • An Irish Country Wedding (Irish Country #7)
  • Fingal O'Reilly, Irish Doctor (Irish Country #8)
  • An Irish Doctor in Peace and at War (Irish Country #9)
  • An Irish Doctor in Love and at Sea (Irish Country #10)