Start by marking “Longclaws” as Want to Read:
Longclaws

Longclaws

Their world is crowded with active volcanoes, sulfur and acid rains, permanent thick clouds turn day into deep twilight. It is a violent place: moment-to-moment survival is victory, every creature is constantly predator and prey, sleep is certain death.

This is home to the longclaws, beings of super-human speed, strength and senses. Their predatory skills allow them a only
Kindle Edition, Second edition, 334 pages
Published December 3rd 2007 by Providence Press

To ask other readers questions about Longclaws, please sign up.
Steve Peek The next installment of Long Claws is in progress. I hope to complete it by next year. Thanks for asking.

Lynxie
Sep 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Horror fans, people who like blood and guts
After finishing this book, I don't know exactly how to feel.

I expected to feel horrified, and at certain points I was, perhaps not at the points Steve intended, but generally speaking I felt a little disjointed.

I believe this was because of the choppy way the story went from one place and time to another and then another. I don't have a solution to make it better; I just know that I didn't really get it.

The introduction to the 'world' took a long time. Almost a third of the book! It held useful
Clark Hays
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
A unified theory of hell

Longclaws is an ambitious book that posits a unified theory of terror using alternate dimensions, time travel, ley lines, dowsing, Native American burial mounds, crystals, Stonehenge, the Bermuda Triangle, cattle mutilations and pretty much every other supernatural and occult staple available. The only things seemingly missing are UFO abductions and spontaneous human combustion. (I expect those may be included in future works?)

The setup: Bands of mystic energy link our w
Joe Stamber
May 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, read-2013
First of all I should thank the author of Longclaws, Steve Peek, for gifting me a copy of Longclaws and giving me the opportunity to read it. I did warn Steve that I would give an honest review regardless, and here it is.

I found Longclaws to be a fascinating and imaginative novel, quite different from what I originally envisaged. Steve has created a well thought out storyline in more than one world with a cool cast of characters and creatures. Whilst none of the characters has a great deal of de
Elke
I was immediately drawn by the book's cover. It reminds me of those lurid (meant in a good way!) covers on old horror stories which I love and miss with today's generic appearance of most books. The plot summary sealed the deal: I had to read this one!

Three different story-lines are intricately woven into a compelling story: a clan of vampire-like beings called longclaws living in a parallel, prehistoric-like world, hunting for fresh blood and hiding from other, even more menacing creatures. An
Randy
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Author Steve Peek has created a world that embraces many legends, werewolves, vampires, the like, as beings of an alternate dimension. Gates allow them passage to out world. Ancient humans had learned ways to shut those doors down, building such as Stonehenge, the Indian mounds of the Americas, and other such structures around the world. But as humans spread and built, those impediments were destroyed, weakening those lines connected worldwide.

And a pack of Longclaws have found a way to cross ov
Dianne
Author Steve Peek has managed to straddle two worlds, bring his characters through the veils that separate them and still maintain a shroud of mystery around his tale, Longclaws. Are they from the realm we refer to as Hell? Are they behind the legends of the vampire? Are they going to cause me to sleep with the lights on for a while?
Longclaws are predators with super-human strength, speed and bravery in their world, where survival is a constant battle. Each member of the clan has an important ro
Ionia
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Looking at the cover of this book, I wasn't really sure what I was going to find inside. I was both thrilled with the contents and impressed by this author's ability to transport his reader to another world and make you forget yourself while reading his work. This story is amazing. Steve Peek has a unique talent for building believable characters that you can't help but identify with. This story is very complex and has a lot of elements that I had not seen before, and was not at all what I had e ...more
Charles
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
A very fine book chock full of ideas and action. I liked the characters and the twists and turns. If anything there was a bit too much detail about some aspects of the Longclaws world. But overall it was quite an enjoyable read.
william farnum
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read

What a great adventure! The story line was awesome and this became one of those books that I could not wait to see what happened next at the same time not sure I wanted it to end! If you can get engrossed in what you are reading, put yourself in the world being described. Enjoy!
Susan
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book and 'story' I have read this year! Two worlds that cross with horrible results. Steve Peek brought many genre together and created a fantastic book.

I don't like writing a review of a novel. Others do a much better job than I would and I ask that you read the other reviews. I will be reading this book again and it holds its place in my list of favorite books.

Thank you, Steve Peek, for telling this story.
Katy
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of alternate reality, multiple dimensions
Shelves: i-edited, ebook
I edited this book (again); there was a mixup in the files uploaded in January or something, because there were a lot of errors left that I fixed. So, if you have a copy that you picked up before, be sure to wait for the updated file and download the update before you read it.
Pamela Cunningham
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is about the doorways between our world and other's and what can happen when the ultimate predator finds it's way into ours .

This was a decent read it's was interesting how the author gave you different points of view even from the antagonist who really wasn't evil they just wanted a better place a safer play for their people . Anyway I enjoyed this book although it took a little time for me to get into the plot not a bad story at all . The ending was definitely a twist though .
Beverly Huffman
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
What are they?!!

I enjoyed this book it was an easy read. The beginning of the book seemed a bit disjointed but by the end of the book it was clear. I dont know what the creatures are but i dont want to met one. They are very fast and intelligent. The book is not what you expect. You will be surprised. If you like horror than this book is for you. I am going to buy more of Steve Peek, right now.
Rachel
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good - a different sort of vampire story.

Excellent story, although a bit slow in the beginning. It explains the origins of the vampire and werewolf myths., and then explodes into action. I stayed up past 2 a.m. to finish the book. If you are a horror story fan, you will enjoy this tale of two worlds colliding and competing for survival
katelyn glenn
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book

I liked this book because it wasn't too predictable, decent amount of action and had a different perspective on vampires and werewolves.
Val
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Original storyline

I liked this book because it has an original plot. I would recommend this to young adults who like fantasy and adventure stories.
Mary Owens
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great story!

Imaginative and we'll written. Mr Peek created three great civilization as well as some terrifying monsters. Really enjoyed it 😊
Wilfred
Jun 24, 2013 rated it liked it
First off, Longclaws has a lot of positives. I love new and creative monsters and Longclaws did not disappoint. The demonic creatures are the stuff of nightmares and provided many tense scenes for the characters and for me.

Next, the story had good character development. The characters were believable and had great backstories. Which brings me to the next thing I liked, the writing. The novel was fast paced and well written. The middle of the story really picks up and I had to know what was going
Sharon
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book up for review is “Longclaws” by Steve Peek.

This novel in the genre of horror and thriller. It’s one of those novels where there are two themes unfolding in alternating chapters. But they tie in together brilliantly.

It starts off with creatures from a distance past. The kind of creatures legends are made out of. But people never take as having an ounce of truth in it. You are introduced to Longclaws a clan of animals that are vicious, bloodthirsty yet protective of their own. But they ar
Ryan Rauber
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This modern update on the legends of vampires, werewolves, and dragons imagines that there is a parallel universe to our own. At times, these creatures are able to cross into our world, and this is where the legends come from. In a quiet rural community of Alabama, a pack of vampires, or longclaws, has done just that. Without any spoilers, I liked how the author incorporated some of the myths about vampires (garlic, stakes, etc) into the story. And also how we got read a POV from the longclaws, ...more
Julie Brown
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It took me all of 5 hours to read this book. That's counting snack breaks! This book is a page turner, once you enter; you do not want to come back out! This author is a fabulous story teller and his story is woven flawlessly with consistency and attention to detail! I felt as if I were standing in the middle of the scenes taking place! Love the Harley character in the beginning; he brought some humor into it with him and his ways. I look forward to reading Alien Agenda! I am seriously consideri ...more
Emma Alston
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to be gifted this book by the author himself.
I must admit, I thoroughly enjoyed Long Claws.
It takes age old doctrines and adds a new twist and or idea as to why they are in place.
It is fast paced and well written. Although, the kindle edition does require some editing.
It is also refreshing to not always just see the world from the perspective of humans alone, and that the "Long Claws" were not just mindless killing machines.
I would recommend this book to any book enthusia
Beth Price-Almeida
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just Awesome!

I loved this book! Mr. Peek has an imagination I'm in love with! I have a nightlight in my room now and we won't be walking in the woods...Or the dark for a while.
Erik Orrantia
Mar 05, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was so confused by this book, the way it bounced from character to character, time period to time period, that I realized after about 20% of it that I had absolutely no idea what was going on. I rarely stop reading a book, hoping that it will come together somehow, but this one I couldn't bear any longer.
william barton
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding

Had me from the very first page I will read it again it's that good I wood love more like it I stopped reading it a lot of times so it wood not end I was really let down when it ended I thought there was more thank u for the book
Bobbie J. Taschler
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Impressive!

A very interesting take on stories of monsters. The characters are well developed and believable. The author gives the reader insight into both humans and monsters. I look forward to reading the next book.
John R. Dailey Jr.
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
A TALE OF TWO WORLDS CONNECTED AND NOT, IT IS....

Hello, this story was very different. The author did a good job of correlating legends of old with his version. Thanks and MERRY CHRISTMAS..
Bobby
Jun 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good but not great! Hope to read the next installment but so far not available!
David
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars rounded up. A busy, innovative and engaging storyline. I'll look for more by this author.
Viktoria A. Vaverka
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Locales..Stone Gates

It was quite different. I love American Indian culture so this fantasy was great for ME! Fun read! Not a literary novel but who cares!!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Jurassic Florida (One Size Eats All #1)
  • They Feed
  • Keep in a Cold, Dark Place
  • The Pied Piper of the Undead
  • Menagerie
  • Hallowed Horror
  • This Plague of Days OMNIBUS EDITION: The Complete Three Seasons of the Zombie Apocalypse Series
  • Night of the Wendigo
  • Strong Blood (Last Moon Rising, #2)
  • Bücherstadt (Die Bibliothek der flüsternden Schatten, #1)
  • Razored Saddles
  • Flesh Worn Stone
  • Taken
  • Feeding Ground
  • Perdition (A Nell McGraw Investigation, #2)
  • The Moor
  • Phantom Traces
  • Specimen 313

edit biographydelete
Biography
First cousins, Steve and Pat Conroy's families often shared their grandmother's big house in Atlanta. Both wanted to be writers. Pat became a literary lion by the time he was thirty. Steve began writing semi-seriously in the 1980's. Now, for better or for worse, he writes full time.
Steve traveled extensively and explored histories and myths of peoples and places all o