Start by marking “Daughter of Hassan” as Want to Read:
Daughter of Hassan

Daughter of Hassan

She would not be told to marry anyone!

Much as she loved and respected her Arab stepfather and wanted to please him, Danielle was horrified to learn he was arranging a marriage for her, Arab fashion, to his nephew, Jourdan.

Danielle refused outright. And meeting Jourdan only confirmed her decision.

He was dashing and bold and handsome, and she soon fell in love with him, but
Published October 1st 1982 by Harlequin Books

To ask other readers questions about Daughter of Hassan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daughter of Hassan

StMargarets
I couldn't decide between 2 and 3 stars. The story kept me reading, but there were some problems. We don't meet the hero in the flesh for the first few chapters (we just hear about him) and there is a drugged forced seduction.

The heroine is the English step daughter of a rich sheikh. He has planned an arranged marriage to his nephew since his nephew saw her picture when she was 14. The heroine refuses to even meet him because she heard rumors from a French diplomat's son (OM) about what a woman
Chantal ❤️
Not very PC but it's a good old school story with lots of drama and action. I liked it. Guy was macho the girl was innocent. They married by force but it worked somehow.
Jacqueline J
I think this must have been written by a melodramatic 13 year old and PJ just let her publish under her name. It lept around from unbelievable situation to unbelievable situation. First of all the hero and heroine didn't meet until page 63 which is totally unacceptable in a 189 page romance novel. Even in 1982 that must have been obvious. The heroine was an absolute ignorant ninny. The hero was a mustache twirling insane man child. The first time he meets her in his uncle the sheikh's house, he ...more
Jenny
Oct 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I love a good MOC story and as always PJ delivers. I liked the angst, the evil exes who tried to ruin the protagonists fragile marriage and the final revelation that hero had been in love with heroine since forever. 3.5 stars.
Romance_reader
Sep 21, 2015 rated it liked it
My feelings about this book are complicated. liked the first part and then it all - seemingly- went downhill with the appearance of the OW and the wannabe OM (coz the h was never actually interested in him ); only to pick up again towards the end. The writing itself was interesting and very much reflected the perceptions and preconceived notions of the west about people from the east - it may even qualify as slightly racist by today's standards. But still, not a bad read; although there were som ...more
Sandra IsAMoodyCowWhenSheCan'tRead
If you’re easily offended by arranged marriages and cultural norms exaggeratedly twisted for the sake of drama, I’d suggest to skip this. I read all the reviews and went into it eyes wide open so enjoyed it for the unintentionally hilarious WTF ride that it was.

First, be forewarned that there are drawn-out details of Hassan, the heroine’s stepfather in the beginning; the politics, the magnificent things he did for his country, what a wonderful husband, stepfather blah blah blah. Seriously, I cou
Melanie♥
Hmmm.....
One star or four. It could go either way. I sort of feel like the sorting hat in Harry Potter.
The resolution was too fast and there was a total lack of grovelling. I don't get why she fell so quickly in love with her attacker...errrr....husband.
Still lots of angst and drama that a classic HP provides.
Tia
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
This novel was wrong on so many levels. Especially morally. I disagree with a lot of things stated in the novel and I also felt sick to my stomach at other points. Regardless of if the hero and heroine love each other in the end, what the hero did was drug and rape the heroine. He also wed her without consent and forced her into a place of unhappiness. I wanted to smack him senseless.
Anna
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Have to rate it 5 stars ONLY because it is a classic Harlequin that brings back good memories.
Grace Harwood
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
So, it’s 1982 and this early offering from Penny Jordan is, quite frankly, pretty dire. The premise is as follows: Danielle is the spoiled stepdaughter of ‘Hassan’ of Qu’hari (a fictional tiny oil-rich country wedged in between Kuwait and Saudi Arabia). Hassan owns most of the oil in the country but after his death the company will go back to his conflicted Qu’hari relations. This may well lead to civil unrest in the country as other more powerful countries attempt to move in on the smaller coun ...more
iamGamz
First of all - that book cover! My initial reaction was ... OMG! WTH?!
Then I read the book, and it's actually a decent representation of the story within.

That said, I don't know how I feel about this book. Logically, I understand that it was written in a different time and about a different place buuut -- I am repulsed by the way the H treated the h. The whole wedding fiasco with the tea laced with opium - noooope! Then there was the wedding night - that was another huge no for me.

I kept wonde
Chitra *CJ*
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Daughter of Hassan" is Danielle and Jourdans book.
Danielle is the stepdaughter of Hassan, a Sheikh who married her mother when she was young. As she grows up under their loving care, she never expects her stepfather would want her married to his nephew, the notorious Jourdan!!
When a trip of their kingdom exposes her to his culture, one night of wandering leads her to Jourdan and passion explodes. Soon she's whisked away into an unwilling marriage- and while she vehemently denies her feelings, s
Anuradha
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Penny Jordan , after building up an enigma around the hero for the first few pages, you just let him fizzle into a sex freak. Madly obsessed with the girl since she was 14 , really ! Oh, that dint stop him from having concubines and women friends, but his pristine love is reserved for the heroine...

And how does he go about winning her ? He molests her at first sight. Gets her kidnapped and marries her forcibly. Even drugs her a little. Then stays away from her for inexplicable reasons. Gets an e
Polyj

France
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romances
Lucky me! I have the PJ's classics
when you have read all you kindle's library and you have just awful book in your currently reading shelf go back to classic :)
Booked
She would not be told to marry anyone!

Danielle refused outright. And meeting Jourdan only confirmed her decision.

He was dashing and bold and handsome, and she soon fell in love with him, but he was a man of the East, brought up to think of a woman's place as within palace walls. Marriage to such a man could only ev
Sharn Gill
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
this book was ok for me, not amazing but it didn't totally suck
Despite everything that he did, I liked jourdan I did not like danielle
i felt she was to childish and way to well stupid to live !!!!
she ruined the whole book for me, how she refused to consider a point of view different from hers and regarded the middle east's culture inferior to hers!!
Lede
Sep 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
Wtf!!! Forced into marriage, drugged, rapped, betrayed by everyone. Dying in the desert would of been a kindness for this h, instead of the mindless, abused doll she ends up being.

But I love the M&B cover.
Lu Bielefeld *read.laugh.love*
A heroína é drogada para casar com o herói sem causar problemas... meio idiota a situação toda. Ela é muito infantil e sem experiência alguma.
Anna
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved it! I am such a sucker for these stories by Penny! She is one of my Favourite romance writes. Will miss her deeeply!
Sara
I enjoyed the book enough to finish it. Penny Jordan is a really good author there. However, there was a lot of wtf-ery going on in this book. As another reviewer has said, we really don't get a chance to get to know the hero at all, beyond him trying to seduce, or rather, force the heroine to bend to his will. So he's just kind of...there. And doing a whole lot of objectionable actions, though since this is an older Harlequin, that's not really a surprise.

The heroine, on the other hand, did ha
Phee Sunantarod
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love it. I read it in Thai actually, so thank you for both writer and translator. They made a TV series when I was young and I finally got to read the book. I'm a chick read person, however this one is really worth reading.
Rabbittÿ
Oct 30, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: th-novel
คหสต. ลวนๆ ...มีดีแคหนาปก อานแลวรูสึกเสียดายเงินเสียดายเวลามาก TvT ...more
Tunyatuang
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-novels
สนุกมากๆ อานจบไป 20 กวารอบ ชอบมากๆคะ ภาษาละเมียดละไมสละสลวยสวยงามมาก บทรักไมมากไมนอยจนเกินไปกำลังดีคะ เปนนวนิยายแปลในดวงใจเลยคะ ผานไปกีปีไมมีเรืองไหนแทนเรืองนีไดคะ ...more
Laweng with Her books
เปนนิยายทีหวานลำ ถึงแมในบางตอนทีพระเอกหยาบโลนกับนางเอก แตการกระทำของการิม อับดุลลา กลับทำใหหัวใจกระปรีกระเปราเสียเหลือเกิน สวนนางเอกหรือดาเนียล กตามประสาสาวนอย คิดเอง มโนเองแตกเพราะปัจจัยหลายๆอยาง มันทำใหคิดไง กเลยไมแปลกใจ...พระนางเรืองนี ปากหนักทังคู นีกลุนทุกฉาก ทุกตอนวาเมือไหรจะคุยกันสักที มัวแตฟังคนอืนพูด เดียวกไมทันการณกันพอดี

นีแหละนะ...ความรัก หนักแนนเขาไว
การิม อับดุลลาห ซาอัด อิบบิน อาหเมด
April Brookshire
Feb 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: harlequin
It was one of those uncomfortable Harlequins where the hero fell in love with the heroine with he was twenty-something and she was a young teen.

Entertaining with its kidnapping, drugging and forced marriage.
PeaR L
แตคอโรมานซอาจจะชอบกไดนะ
บทตัวรายละครกทำออกมาไดชัดเจนกวา
Ipshita Ranjana
Oct 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
Sorry I could not read this beyond the 2nd chapter.I abandoned this one the moment Jordan the so called "hero" assaulted the heroine in their first meeting.Not my kind of book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Crime of Passion
  • Loveplay
Penelope Jones Halsall
aka Caroline Courtney, Annie Groves, Lydia Hitchcock, Melinda Wright

Penelope "Penny" Jones was born on November 24, 1946 at about seven pounds in a nursing home in Preston, Lancashire, England. She was the first child of Anthony Winn Jones, an engineer, who died at 85, and his wife Margaret Louise Groves Jones. She has a brother, Anthony, and a sister, Prudence "Pru".

She had
“Freedom is a state of mind, mignonne,' he said against her hair. 'My ancestor found it in this room, studying the constellations, even though physically he was a prisoner of his own infirmity. Other men are prisoners of their own emotions, their hearts given in bondage to a woman as cold and remote as the distant stars.” 1 likes
“You are as timid as the gazelle that grazes by the oases," he mocked softly. "Your eyes are those of a timid, hunted creature. Where is your bravery now, daughter of Hassan? Am I not only a man - only flesh and flesh and blood, whose heart beats even as yours does. Can't you feel it beneath your fingers?” 1 likes