Start by marking “Let's Get Visible: How To Get Noticed And Sell More Books (Let's Get Digital, #2)” as Want to Read:

Take your sales to the next level! The author of the award-winning, bestselling Let's Get Digital is back with an advanced guide for more experienced self-publishers.

There are over 1.5 million books in the Kindle Store, with thousands more added every day. How do you get yours noticed? Visibility isn’t a challenge that can be bested once - it requires continual work. But
116 pages
Published May 12th 2013 by Arriba Arriba Books (first published May 8th 2013)

Start your review of Let's Get Visible: How To Get Noticed And Sell More Books (Let's Get Digital, #2)
Michelle Madow
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Extremely informative and interesting book on marketing and advertising strategies for authors. He focuses a lot on Amazon and helps authors understand the mysterious algorithm, and how to get the algorithm to work in your favor. I highly recommend this book to any author -- whether you're experienced or just getting ready to publish your first book!
J.F. Penn
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: entrepreneur
Many books on marketing focus on the platform angle, how an author can distinguish themselves in the market. But at the end of the day, most readers don't care that much about authors - they just want entertainment or information. And Amazon will always sell more books that you can as an individual author - so understanding how to maximize your book's chance to stand out is critical and David's book offers in-depth tips for sorting this out. All authors should read and implement immediately!
Aleatha Romig
Feb 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Good information. Slightly outdated.
T.B. Markinson
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
While the book is targeted towards self-publishers who have more experience, I found the information insightful and encouraging. David doesn’t promise that if you follow a certain formula you’ll make millions. I despise those types of books. In fact he’s rather honest about his own trials and tribulations and how sometimes he gets jealous of other’s success. What he writes, though, makes sense. The first part of the book explains Amazon’s Algorithms. I know, when I first read that I ran for the ...more
Aubrey Hansen
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: outread-aubrey
Shout out to my producer Jordan Smith, who is rapidly becoming quite the ebook guru himself, for loaning this book to me!

If there's one thing this book did, it's restore my hope in my dreams. It is possible for small self-publishers without gargantuan budgets to "get visible" and gain consistent sales, and this book goes a long way in clearing the path to do so. This book doesn't cover all the aspects of book promotion in extensive detail, but rather focuses on the goldmine that is Amazon recomm
Shervin Jamali
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Nothing terribly new here, although authors new to the self-publishing game will find some nuggets of wisdom. What I find consistent in these types of books is concise keys to success that lack clear-cut definition as to making it happen. But then if there was a magic formula we'd all be best-selling authors.
Eldon Farrell
David Gaughran has put together a terrific resource for any author here. Whether you’re new or old to the self-publishing game you will find something of value here. Want to know how launch a new book successfully? Want to know how to resurrect lagging sales? Curious how those mysterious Amazon algorithms really work? If you answered yes to any of these questions than this book is for you.

A fast read that is at once entertaining and informative, Let’s Get Visible is worthy of high praise and 5 s
James Fant
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When someone wants to talk to you about the highlights of their day, they usually want to tell you about the most interesting things that happened to them or the most interesting things that they did on that particular day. The highlights of the day for me litter the pages of David Gaughran’s “Let’s Get Visible: How To Get Noticed And Sell More Books (Let’s Get Publishing).” Over the course of two days, I read this book with the implicit intent of improving my marketing skill-set. I doing so, I ...more
Claude Forthomme
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone with more than one book self-published and thinking of publishing more. It tells you in simple, precise language how to maneuver in the complex Amazon world, for example, clearly explaining the pros and cons of KDP Select and how to maintain your book's visibility in the Amazon rankings - making it clear that's where the real battle for virtual space really takes place. It has a very interesting chapter on e-book launch plus many other exceedingly useful tips.

If you are a
S.J. Pajonas
This was a great book for anyone who has published on Amazon and wondered how the heck it works. There are so many lists on Amazon: best sellers, movers & shakers, recommendations, popularity, etc. It's hard to know what they all mean and why. This book explains them all and then gives you ideas of how to hit the lists in your first month and stay visible to your intended audience. It also had great ideas on sales, doing free and 99c price pulsing, and where to advertise them.

A must-read for al
S.M. Reine
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I spent most of my first year in publishing floundering, and I would have KILLED for a book like this at the time. It's a no-bullshit, intermediate guide to positioning one's books in the marketplaces. Any author can learn a lot from David Gaughran's Let's Get Visible - it's a fantastic, informative read.

Disclaimer: I am friends with David Gaughran's mustache. I'd like this book even if I weren't, though.
Yesenia Vargas
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Not only will you learn the basics of how the Amazon algorithms work, you'll also gain much insight on how to increase your chance of making the Amazon bestseller list. David Gaughran is the go-to guy on this stuff. Hr definitely knows what he's talking about, explains it well, and shares extremely helpful resources and tips. Check out his other book, Let's Get Digital as well as his blog. Will be referring to this again and again.
Tammie Painter
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
While this book goes into great detail of how the Amazon lists work and the number of sales you need to make to get on and stay on these lists (Hot New Release, Popular, etc), I found the book absolutely overwhelming with little information on how to actually market your book effectively to make it visible. Had the book been titled "Understanding Amazon's Lists" I'd give it five stars. I love David's advice on his blog and in podcasts, but this book just left me feeling absolutely hopeless.
Destine Williams
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A really good book with helpful advice for Indie authors just starting out like me. If it weren't for datedness of this book, I would give it 5 stars, but most of the strategies in here are still worth reading about if you're an indie author struggling with what to do with your releases.
Martin Rinehart
Jul 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-marketing
Five stars for great, in depth information on topics like how Amazon bestseller rankings work (and how you can give your own book a shot). Four stars because the info is so out of date (2013). And two stars because the info may no longer be that important except to a very few, so three stars overall.

Here's the issue. Gaughran explains that the big bucket (Literature & Fiction) has 620k titles. But if you drill down: Lit & Fic > Genre Fic > War you are in the pool with only 5k titles. Far more li
Simon
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
David Gaughran's "Let's Get Digital" was the Bible for many of us who self-published our novels, and I am one of many who owe this author a debt of gratitude. Is the follow-up, "Let's Get Visible", as good? Well, no, but it's clearly written and worth reading for the tips it has on digital book promotion that can only help those of us still struggling to get the word(s) out. As sequels go this may not be Godfather II, but it's not Legally Blonde II either.
Gaughran goes in detail into how the Am
N
May 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Hrmm, not really worth it. For a very short book, it's frustratingly repetitive.

David Gaughran's advice boils down to:

1) Slot your e-book into less competitive categories on Amazon, and recategorize once you've tapped out that particular category.

2) Spread out sales of a new book over a few days, rather than creating one big day of sales.

3) Keep doing promotions to keep your e-book visible (well, duh).

Also, I didn't realize, because the title doesn't make it clear, but this book is ONLY about e-
Nicole Ayers
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought that Gaughran offered relevant advice to self-published authors. Navigating the maze of online publishing is intimidating, and Gaughran shares tips to sell as many books as possible. This book is a great read for authors who already have a couple of novels under their belt, which he states several times. I will be checking out Let's Get Digital to see what advice he shares with new self-published writers. The only drawback that I can see with this book is that Amazon frequently changes ...more
K.M. Weiland
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a great foundation for understanding not just *how* to position your book to sell on Amazon, but, just as importantly, *why* certain techniques work and others don't. Gaughran does a great job breaking down the Amazon algorithms and marketing schemes so that the rest of us can understand how to apply them. Much of this information is available elsewhere, but Gaughran brings it altogether in an extremely handy organized format. Probably, the most valuable aspect is the up-to-date (as of M ...more
Helmut
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book is concise, well-written, and to the point. The author provides up-to-date data, which has helped me to run a successful promotion.

It continues to be very valuable to me for getting visible. Check out the author - and you'll see he is successful in getting his own books visible as well. He also maintains a helpful blog. This is totally a white-hat book, which I appreciated a lot. I hope the author keeps it updated.
Anna Erishkigal
I had already picked up numerous marketing tips by reading the blogs and tips of my peers, but David Gaughran has collated and documented the mysterious algorithms in such a way as to make sense of the soup. This book is largely Amazon USA centric and only barely touches upon the other platforms and international markets, but it does not purport to be more than that in the book blurb, so I will give it 5 stars.
Anna Burke
A good overview of strategies to enhance visibility and promote book sales. Some interesting information about how the publishing industry works. In particular, how Amazon functions when it comes to categorizing and otherwise helping readers find books. Much of this information can be found elsewhere, for free, but it is helpful to have an overall framework for thinking about marketing and sales--the part of being an author that many of us like the least.
Tammy Salyer
Sep 20, 2014 rated it liked it
A helpful guide to understanding the nuances of Amazon's algorithms and practices for independent authors. It contained less information about specific promotional and marketing strategies than I wanted (i.e., a clear and step-by-step marketing guide), but a great deal of info on how to make the most of KDP Select and Amazon's categories. Useful and informative, definitely recommended reading for any indie author.
Marese Hickey
Jul 13, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is reasonably useful, but the problem with a print version of anything to do with Amazon is how quickly things change. On a scale of 1-10, I would place myself at about 5 on the technology front. Even so, I found my eyes glazing over when reading about algorithims. Really I just want to know what to do, and how to do it. This book points the way but does not give step by step instructions so just be aware of that.
Traci Loudin
This book is awesome. It is a little behind the times in regard to preorders and which paid ads offer links to retailers besides Amazon, but other than that, everything seems pretty sound. I can't wait to apply some of what I've learned.
Linda Acaster
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An indepth look at how to get your new book noticed among the crowd. Well worth the read, if a little daunting.
Krista D.
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book for authors. Required reading.
C.J. Darlington
May 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing-how-to
Delivers what it promises. I ended up with several new ideas to try in my own book marketing efforts. Highly recommended for all self-published authors.
G.G. Silverman
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
An extremely helpful book for authors learning their way around the Amazon system. Highly recommended.
Jitka Egressy
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seroiusly the best book about self-publishing! (Believe me! I read many of them)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Gotta Read It!: Five Simple Steps to a Fiction Pitch that Sells
  • Cats are Weird and More Observations
  • Just Design: Socially Conscious Design for Critical Causes
  • Cherry Blossoms
  • Designing Brand Identity: An Essential Guide for the Entire Branding Team
  • Judge This
  • Toxic Charity: How Churches and Charities Hurt Those They Help (And How to Reverse It)
  • Massive Change
  • Day Hiking Los Angeles: City Parks / Santa Monica Mountains / San Gabriel Mountains
  • Adventure Time: The Art of Ooo
  • Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition - Official Strategy Guide
  • Green Graphic Design
  • Making Connections Intermediate Student's Book: A Strategic Approach to Academic Reading and Vocabulary
  • From Babylon to Timbuktu: A History of the Ancient Black Races Including the Black Hebrews
  • The Apocrypha: King James Version
  • Zondervan Compact Bible Dictionary
  • The Valley of the Dry Bones: The Conditions That Face Black People in America Today
  • Speech Communication Made Simple
David Gaughran was born in Ireland but now lives in a quaint little fishing village in Portugal, although this hasn't increased the amount of time he spends outside the house. He writes historical fiction and science fiction under another name, has helped thousands of authors publish their work through his workshops, blog, and writers' books - Let's Get Digital, Strangers to Superfans, BookBub Ads ...more

News & Interviews

“the majority of readers discovered their favorite author by getting a book for free,” 1 likes
“probably the biggest complaint authors have in this brave new world is not sales (or the lack thereof) but the constant promotion that eats so much into precious writing time.” 0 likes