Start by marking “The Girl on the Mountain (Mountain Women, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Girl on the Mountain (Mountain Women, #1)

The Girl on the Mountain

(Mountain Women #1)

Paperback
Published 2013 (first published August 29th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl on the Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl on the Mountain

Kelly
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think Carol wrote this book just for me. Well, maybe not, but it is a beautifully written book that hit the nail right on the head for me. It will grab you and wrap you up in its' characters lives. Don't be surprised if you leave laundry sitting in the washing machine, where it is doomed to become one massive wrinkle, because you can't stop reading the book! Personal experience :)

Joshua Grant
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Carol Ervin captures the triumphs, tribulations, and feel of the late 1800s perfectly in The Girl on the Mountain. Life at this time was real rough for women, and the same holds true as May Rose Long must contend with company hardliners and brothels while caring for herself and a young girl. This novel is heartfelt and powerful and I look forward to seeing where Ervin goes with it next!
Lindy Moone
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captivating, compelling...

...and a whole lot of other "C" words come to mind, like: "Couldn't" put it down. Carol Ervin's writing is subtle and strong, the setting is powerfully portrayed without getting in the way, there's an undercurrent of dread that creeps along...

"The Girl on the Mountain" is one of the best books I've read lately -- the best I've read by an indie author. Seldom have I felt so transported to another time and place, or caught myself yelling at the top of my lungs at a bad g
Sandy
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: southern-fiction
This is usually the kind of book I like - one of those West Virginia mountain stories centered around logging camps and company towns. Young woman who gets a rotten deal from a pretty boy husband has to find her way after he abandons her with no support. But I just couldn't get emotionally involved in May Rose's struggle, her connection with Wanda (her husband's daughter by another woman that May Rose was entirely unaware of til she was forced to leave the mountain and move to town), or any of t ...more
Carol Kean
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
March is Women’s History Month, a good time to read well-researched, well-written historical fiction like Carol Ervin’s “The Girl on the Mountain.” If you ever feel nostalgic for the good old days, if you long for “simpler” times, the kind Ervin evokes with “sounds of leaf whisper and high cricket drone” and hawks making lazy circles in the sky, and if you think this “was the clean time, when the earth did not tremble with far-off crash of trees, and passing trains did not smother the air,” read ...more
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
La ambientación me gustó, nunca había leído novelas en el "Lejano Oeste" pero avanza muy lentamente y ninguno de los personajes es querible.
Lauren Miller
A copy of the book was provided to me as part of the Goodreads Reviewer Program. Thank you to the author for making this available.

I've had a copy of this book sitting on my TBR shelf for months. As a disclaimer, I want to throw out there that I read historical fiction for entertainment, for (mostly) the happy endings and insight into what life was like during another time period. So, when I was entering the giveaways and saw Ervin's book, I thought, "Here we go, something set in West Virginia j
Jeanette Pendergraph
Good book

Good book. The ending is surprising. May read the rest of sequel. Books 2 and 3. Worth reading and decide for yourself.
Megan Williams
Mar 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Nicely detailed historical, but not enough happens!
Shari Ring Wolf
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good old days never were

This review contains spoilers at the end.

I love historical fiction from this era when it is historically accurate as far as I can tell. This book had accuracy of social history like no other book I've ever read! No nostalgia for the good old days when chivalry was not dead. The story was set in a Virginia sawmill town "a place that God forgot" as one side character remarked. It was dangerous to be a woman. Capitalism abounded keeping people poor and under control. Even t
Heather Gilbert
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
A logging mill and the company that owns it, holds the lives of one small West Virginian town, prior to the turn of the century. Built around the sound of saws and falling timber, this town breathes the political strength of lumber - and the scant coins it can provide. Trapped by circumstance and a past love, May Rose has to find her way amongst the hardened populace, carving out her slice of Timber life in a town that unjustly considers her nothing more than a whore.

A quick read, this book is
Barbara Lee Wood
A COMPANY OWNED TOWN

A young bride of two years now living in the mountains of West Virginia her husband works as a blogger. The pay isn't very much, but May Rose supplements food for the table by growing vegetables, she also sells egg and feathers to the local trading post. This is is a company owned town. Rough and tumble the families who work for the logging company live a hard scrabble life. May Rose husband leaves her and she no money or means to support herself. May Rose takes on the respon
Donna Pieron
While the story line would have been interesting, the writing was very choppy. It seemed there were missing parts, like what was life like for Wanda when she lived with Russell, who all of a sudden turned out to be the good guy. No explanation of the change in his temperament, especially after the way he treated May Rose in her cabin. I felt there were just a lot of missing pieces, which is unfortunate because the idea of the story is good. I did download the remaining 4 books in the series, so ...more
Maryanne Mathes
Interesting story. Unusual story teller. Leaves you wanting more...more depth. More of certain characters. The last page left me wondering and feeling a bit empty. I love the setting, the historical timeline, the feels and the emotional ties to a couple of the characters. But. ?? Something misses the mark with the author. The beginning of the second book let me know a little of what this is... You are left hanging too often and too long.
Will I continue to read the rest of book 2 and the series?
Connie S. Jones
The Girl on the Mountain

May Rose is a young new bride. Her and Jamie her husband live on the side of a mountain above a logging town called Winkler. Jamie works for one of the logging camps. May Rose loses her husband and ends up moving to town to try to servive, life is really tuff during these times. She meets a little girl named Wanda and she feels she must help Wanda who is living on the streets. Good Characters and a interesting read.
Jacqueline
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rumors can destroy lives
The story moves fast getting you right into the small town and how made up stories about a beautiful girl can ruin lives. I like historical fiction that weaves facts into the lives of the characters. The author does a good job describing small town lumber communities of the time.

It was a good read, and the story continues into the lives of the younger characters, but I have not felt the urge to read the later books yet.
Virginia S Branham
Life is not easy...you need friends

I enjoyed this book about the hard life of people living in West Virginia during the early railroad days. It is hard to believe how hard life was not that many years ago. I was born in West Virginia and have a special place in my heart for the people and it's history. This was a good reminder that everyone needs help, encouragement, love and support from time to time.
Robyn Echols
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leaving the Mountain

What a challenge, one after the other as May Rose decides to leave the mountain. She finds there has been a lot of gossip about her, which added to her realization she made a big mistake, makes for many challenges as she tries to get away to return to family. Great characters and relationships that reveal the depth and nature of her character kept the story interesting to me. A good story.
Tascha
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. A pretty grim (and likely realistic) imagining of the West Virginian lumber camps in the late 19th century from the perspective of a young woman on her own. Very understated drama, style-wise, which both made the horrors more bearable and probably left me a bit colder than another style might have. But the style did fit the backdrop.
Nicole Siemers
I enjoyed the story very much, but the writing was pretty poor. At times there were transitions that sprang out of nowhere making it difficult for a minute to understand what was happening. And the amount of men that threw themselves at May Rose's feet was laughable. She is described as a very pretty young girl and rumors of her showing herself to passing "wood hick" trains maybe added to her appeal, but I've never read a story where the main had to fend off 3 or 4 men at the same time.
T
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was quite interesting and held my attention. However I was quite surprised when I was down to the last few pages and a number of issues were not resolved. I thought since it was the first book in the series that I would have to buy the next book. Lo and behold in the last two pages she solved those issues. It was not very satisfying though.
Brenda Parker
Historic Heroine

I enjoyed learning about how mountain people in company towns thought and carried on. The story was varied and seemed to reflect the vagaries of a young persons far reaching choices.
I also must say that even nowadays if you live in an area with a very large employer you are still pretty much controlled by that company, as is the town, etc.
Angeline
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Girl on the Mountain book 1 was a well written book, the characters were interesting to me and I cared about what happened to them... however, it made me so damn sad. It was just bleak and it depressed me, so much that I didn't care to continue the series. And I tend to like dark reads... this one just seemed to let the main character fizzle out and I didn't like that.
teresa
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Creative historical story

A unique story of logging in the Virginia mountains. Companies paid poorly and the company store charged more than enough for supplies. What happens to widows, children without a mother of the elderly mom who has dementia. It makes for a great story worth reading.
Michele Finnell
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like Strong Women Books! This takes place in the late 1800’s when being without a man in your life is hazardous, and women are more like chattel. May is only 21 at this point, I look forward to seeing where she goes and how she develops. She’s a force to be reckoned with. I gave this a 3.5 originally but decided I enjoyed it enough to be a 4.
Elaine Bain
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Woman

Story of a strong woman. Helping others. Adventures in a mountain town. You loved Mae Rose from the first. Hoping Wanda would come out untouched admiring her strong will and she had learned to care for her self. The bond between the characters. Well written. Never lost interest in the story. Looking forward to reading other books in this series.
Patricia
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed reading this book about the mountains of W Virginia and the logging camps that dotted the area. Rough life for the people and this story told about May Rose, a young wife who has some really tough times, but seems to rise to them. More in this series that I am looking forward to reading.
Amy Skaggs
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book

I loved how the story grows and builds and how vivid the characters are. Strong female characters, and the descriptions made it all so easy to see in my mind. Can’t wait to read the next book!
Eddi
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
The story is set in A small West Virginia mining town, involves a young woman trying to make it, after her husband leaves her. I didn't connect with the characters in a deep way, and was very disappointed in the ending, which didn't seem like a conclusion at all.
Cindy
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love historical fiction and this one is at the top of my list. So much historical detail which makes you feel you are inside of the story living it with the characters. Had to get the next 2 in the series of 8.
Books, Blogs, Aut...: Summer Marketing 1 10 Apr 27, 2013 07:28AM

• 99 to Nowhere
  • The Ming Storytellers
  • A Memory in the Black (The New Aeneid Cycle, #2)
  • Oregon Country: The Story of the 1843 Oregon Trail Migration
  • A Rose for Lancaster
  • Mountain Woman
  • Innocent Deceptions
  • My Japanese Husband STILL Thinks I'm Crazy (Texan & Tokyo, #2)
  • A Year at 32 September Way
  • The Day is a White Tablet
  • But For Grace
  • The Reckoning: Saga of a Civil War Blockade Runner
  • Hounds of Autumn
  • Admissions of Guilt
  • Carolina Rain
  • A Private Affair
  • Lydia's Heart (The Quilter's Son #2)
  • Jane, Actually or Jane Austen's Book Tour
I’ve been lucky. Years ago, I wanted to live on a farm, and my husband said “Let’s do it.” When personal computers were introduced, I wanted to know about them and have one, and lucky me, the school where I taught offered a course in Basic. When we bought our first computer, I discovered the writer’s best friend--word processing. (Before that, I could not write without crossing out most of a typew ...more

Mountain Women (4 books)
  • Cold Comfort (Mountain Women #2)
  • Midwinter Sun: A Love Story (Mountain Women #3)
  • Ridgetop
“She floundered in a fog of his hatreds and desires, his” 1 likes
“when ordinary humans tried to be as good as God? “We all fall short,” she’d said. “I want to be where I’m encouraged to do better.” 0 likes