Start by marking “A Scientific Guide to Successful Relationships” as Want to Read:
A Scientific Guide to Successful Relationships

A Scientific Guide to Successful Relationships

A life partnership is a learning experience. We are constantly learning the ways we were wrong, and the ways we can be better, kinder, more patient, more empathetic, more respectful and more appreciative. Indeed, such a partnership is perhaps the most educational and most humbling experience most of us will have in our lives.

The goal of this guide is to provide a practical
Published 2012 by Good in Bed Guides

To ask other readers questions about A Scientific Guide to Successful Relationships, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Scientific Guide to Successful Relationships

Start your review of A Scientific Guide to Successful Relationships
DebsD
Slightly disappointing: I was hoping for something a bit more complex. This is probably worth a read if you haven't read much else on relationships, and probably worth a skim if you have, but it's not of the quality I was expecting, given Nagoski's other writings.
Compty
Apr 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
This is one of the most unscientific book I have read in recent years.
First, the author limit the scope to "healthy" relationship. Why "healthy" couple should read this book is, by itself, an interesting question. What "healthy" means for the author remain an obscure statement.
The author develops some of her thesis around attachment styles. Unfortunately, while attachments style are thought to be an extension of our first attachment (childhood - caregiver), the proof, in the scientific sense, i
Alice
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a short, easy to read book packed with helpful information on how attachment impacts our very most important relationships. Nagoski identifies the most common challenges faced in relationships due to differing attachment styles, and provides practical tools for addressing those challenges.

This book is an e-book, which seems to be lacking in the editing department, and contains swearing, so be aware if either of those things are deal breakers for you.

Little Joshy
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great foundation for having quality relationships, romantic and otherwise. More complex topics like sexuality and specifics about dealing with sticky conflicts are not included, but by applying the principles of this book to those topics, you'd be well on your way to dealing with such complex topics effectively.
Prata Catalin
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good book

I really liked the advices and science behind. Also it is great that we have examples of couples in various scenarios and that helped me understand stuff better. Would definitely recommend it to anyone!
Greg Fair
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great little guide

As a marriage counselor myself, I know much of this information. But the author did an excellent job of applying it to real life situations with examples. It is a short but excellent relationship guide with all one needs. We just have to apply it.
Libby
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing book from Emily Nagoski! I cannot sing her praises highly enough. Clear, concise, empathetic, funny - always an easy read.

Everyone should read this book - it focuses on romantic relationships but it can (and should) be applied to friendships and familial relationships. I see science as us humans seeking order (patterns) in the chaos of our universe, so I find it helpful to learn about patterns researchers have found in human behavior, as well as some neuroscience thrown in there
Krista Buccellato
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I adore Emily Nagoski. I absolutely love the way her writing seamlessly combines anthropological and scientific facts into the humor and levity needed to discuss human behavior without taking yourself too seriously. Highly recommend.
Libby
Oct 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: relationships
Short and sweet, positive, useful, and realistic.
Sharp Edge
simple advice but annoying. nobody picks this up wanting to learn that if you're jealous, it's you problem. buck up and take responsibility
Ashley Manta
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book. Whether you're dating, single, or partnered for life, this guide is a fantastic resource for understanding the science behind healthy relationships.
Emma
Oct 08, 2015
Joli Hamilton
Nov 08, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Utopia of Rules: On Technology, Stupidity, and the Secret Joys of Bureaucracy
  • Scary Close: Dropping the Act and Finding True Intimacy
  • The Mismeasure of Man
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 5
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 6
  • Diary of the War of the Pig
  • Legendary Children: The First Decade of RuPaul’s Drag Race and the Last Century of Queer Life
  • The Last Conversation (Forward collection)
  • The Adventure Zone: Murder on the Rockport Limited!
  • The Age of Bowie
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 4
  • La Disparition de Stephanie Mailer
  • Poco hombre: crónicas reunidas
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 2
  • Lo que quizá no sabías de... Superman
  • Turandot (Libros de Co y Co, #3)
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 3
  • Green Lantern by Geoff Johns: Omnibus, Vol. 1
The official bio is:
"Emily Nagoski has a PhD in Health Behavior with a doctoral concentration in human sexuality from Indiana University (IU), and a master’s degree (also from IU) in Counseling, with a clinical internship at the Kinsey Institute Sexual Health Clinic. She has taught graduate and undergraduate classes in human sexuality, relationships and communication, stress management, and sex ed

News & Interviews