Start by marking “The Rosebush Murders (Helen Mirkin #1)” as Want to Read:
The Rosebush Murders (Helen Mirkin #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

The Rosebush Murders

(Helen Mirkin #1)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  42 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
In this first Helen Mirkin novel, Jerusalem-based Detective Inspector Helen MIrkin is challenged with solving the murder of psychologist Dr. Danielle Hall. Before much progress is made, a second murder occurs. Are they related?

The investigation takes DI Mirkin to a state-of-the-art fertility clinic. How does this fit in? Is the killer trying to cover their tracks? Can they
Published October 31st 2012 by Hoopoe Publishing

Megan
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lesbian-mystery
I had little expectations for this one: I got it free in a promotion, it seems to be a self-publishing venture, and the cover is pretty tame. But one of the reasons for reading at all is that sometimes our expectations are exceeded—and then some. The Rosebush Murders as just about as good a police procedural as you will find. DI Helen Mirkin is a believable, no-nonsense, bloodhound. And the book’s Jerusalem setting—this is the first lesbian mystery I have read with a Middle-East background—is a ...more
Raymond Mathiesen
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who like stories of police and detection.
The Thorny World Of Humanity

Danielle Hall is found dead in the peaceful grounds of an inner city park in Jerusalem. She had been shot in the back of the head. Investigation soon reveals that Danielle was a psychologist. Could it be that a client has lost their cool? Danielle was married to Mira Morenica and they have a daughter Shelia. How will the family cope with this sudden and violent death? D.I. Helen Mirkin finds that, despite her cool professionalism and objectivity, she cares for the sur
Shira Glassman
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jewish, femslash
Ruth Shidlo’s The Rosebush Murders is a lesbian thriller/detective mystery set in Israel. A woman is found shot in a park, and the police detective, a lesbian named Helen with a chatty narrative voice, sets to work unraveling whether her wife, psychology/IVF clients, or hospital colleagues could have had anything to do with it. I found it a solid whodunit in which it was easy to imagine the scenes and characters and get invested in the discoveries and solution.

Pluses:

-Well-constructed thriller p
Ronnie
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My name is Ronnie Solan Ph.D. I found the reading of the novel, The Rosebush Murders fascinating and couldn’t stop reading. I was very impressed with how the author, Ruth Shidlo, managed to combine the childhood memories of the detective with her qualities of investigation, while respecting the otherness of her "client", and dealing with problems of fertility and pregnancy, all in such a way that the reader is attracted to read more and more about the case and the book's underlying themes.

Marissa Dadgari
Kathleen
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
“The Rosebush Murders” is a marvelous look into a police investigation with a fascinating twist of being set in Israel—I enriched my enjoyment by googling sites mentioned to get a visual of Jerusalem and Tel Aviv. Ruth Shidlo weaves her character through interviews, crime scene searches, discussions with her colleagues, and while mulling over various suspects, she tries to arrive at a motive worthy of an arrest and conviction. But, it is far from mundane. Ruth adds thoughtful questioning and pla ...more
John C Peiffer
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ruth Shidlo is brilliant. Wonderful.

I loved the main character. So real. I could feel her intensity to solve murders.
The other characters some I wanted to hold and protect.
Well thought out plot.
Description of Israel left me desirous to visit.
Marilyn
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

this book has several murders and it became an investigation to find out how they were related to each other.
Kathleen Ward
Predicable

Started out very promising but it didn't,t take long to figure it out. Lots of boring and necessary filling in too. I personally was not very impressed.
Karen
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well done and interesting characters. A lot of repetition of the clues and questions. Could be a little tighter.
carole hetherington
Noa Shidlo
Jul 06, 2016
garth turnbull
Nov 06, 2016
Born in Portugal, Ruth Shidlo has also lived in Spain, Israel, and the United States. She practices as a psychologist in Tel Aviv, and is the author of the Helen Mirkin series. Her books are available via Amazon and other online sellers.

Print version: To be announced

Goodreads Giveaway:

Helen Mirkin (3 books)
  • Murder in the Choir (Helen Mirkin #2)
  • Preventable Tragedies (Helen Mirkin #3)