Start by marking “The 80/20 Manager: The Secret to Working Less and Achieving More” as Want to Read:
The 80/20 Manager: The Secret to Working Less and Achieving More

The 80/20 Manager: The Secret to Working Less and Achieving More

Bestselling author Richard Koch shows managers how to apply the 80/20 Principle to achieve exceptional results at work -- without stress or long hours.

In his bestselling book The 80/20 Principle , Richard Koch showed readers how to put the 80/20 Principle -- the idea that 80 percent of results come from just 20 percent of effort -- into practice in their personal lives. N
Published October 1st 2013 by Little, Brown and Company (first published January 1st 2013)

Start your review of The 80/20 Manager: The Secret to Working Less and Achieving More
Bro. Dave
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
holy cow!
If there ever was a book that would benefit from the 80/20 rule...

20% is pretty darn good.
Would have loved if it would have focused on the benefits of what is good rather than the anecdotes.
Jennifer Phillips
Oct 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Overall, I found this book valuable, although some of the specific examples and suggestions felt a bit out of touch with how a majority of managers are probably able to function. Koch presents 10 strategies for managers and is clear that some are harder than others, and that he isn't suggesting you'll necessarily be able to pursue them all. He draws heavily from his experience in the consulting world and a view of life at the executive level. This made it hard for me to relate to some of the con ...more
Tony Bonk
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Think more and toil less; apply the Pareto principal to everything. I enjoyed this book, and as a manager battle getting into this way of thinking everyday.
Ali Jawad
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has literally changed my life. While I couldn't apply its greatness to my work until this very moment but when it comes to my personal real life, it's like the miracle that magically, radically, and positively changed me and made me much better and more powerful. Don't waste time and start reading this book!
Celia Ludwinski
The overall message — to be strategic about how you apply your time and effort, is a good message. I definitely needed that reminder. However, I felt this book had many problems and could have used a much heavier hand at editing and culling. Not only did it end up being quite redundant (which ironically wasted time, an effect at odds with the message of the book), but there were a few problems I had with some of the messaging:

1. The fundamental distribution of effort vs reward seems to astound
James
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: product managers
I listened to this book, so I probably didn't digest as much of it as I would have had I read it.

I've heard of the 80/20 rule (aka Pareto principle) for many years and surely had employed it's benefits unknowingly. I initially thought I had borrowed the original book in this series, but kept with this as it maintained my interest.

This is an easy listen (I'm sure it's an easy read too) that highlights many different aspects to consider when deconstructing problems or applying your time and resour
Wulan Suci Maria
Jul 04, 2018 rated it liked it
One simple word for 80/20 Pareto Principle : “Prioritization”.

Prioritizing on the most important thing to do is the best way to make the most of time we have, and 80/20 principle taught us how to identify what are those important things to prioritize.

I have heard about the principle since long time ago, and if I am not mistaken the book first published was in 1999 (19 years ago), yet it is still relevant and even become more relevant in todays busy and hyper fragmented world.

Good book to read, o
Brandon
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it
In hindsight, I wish I had read the 80/20 Principle instead. I enjoyed this book, but it is geared towards actual managers in fields that aren't as compatible with mine. That does not mean that it is not still a useful book as I found a handful of valuable applications, but most of what I gained was from the basics of the 80/20 principle, rather than the applications to management. For actual managers in most fields, this would probably be an amazingly helpful book.
Guido
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Do the most important stuff first that will have the biggest impact. Simplify everything. Richard Koch was clear in explaining how to think differently and not have many meetings as a manager. The author included many examples of why making fewer decisions and focusing on what works will provide a more profitable company with less stress on everyone.
Danielle Robertson
Seriously, just read the last 20 pages which summarizes each type of manger. You don't really need all the back stories and anecdotal evidence. I also don't think the suggestions are suitable for every industry so take the advice as inspiration more than a set of rules to follow or steps to success.
Bogdan Sebeni
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Several instruments presented. To fully understand the book's benefits, my recommendation is to apply the prioritization instruments presented as soon as you get the chance. It is a simple guide to do more with less energy. The book is focused on 'how to prepare better'. Enjoy.
Stéphanie
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Really good nuggets of wisdom in the book... Very helpful in how I view tasks and business. Not a fan of most of the examples, and glazed over or skipped them entirely to get back to the point of the book. So, I really enjoyed the 20% of it that will have an 80% effect.
Lucas
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Didn't get a lot of actionable information out of this. Seemed like a bunch of platitudes and sometimes interesting stories tied together without a coherent explanation of how they related to the 80/20 principle.
Scott
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: leadership
Could have used its own advise and cut out around 80% of the from the book.
Got more out of the 4 page summary at the end than i did from the book itself.

A few good ideas and tools to implement although most of the examples seemed out of touch for the average manager.
Ronald
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Useful in many ways but mostly managers. Some techniques are quite counter-intuitive, nevertheless everyone can learn something from this book.
Chufeng Li
Under-analyzed

Limited to business perceptions, guessing other book of his would be more general. Good topic, more generality will be appreciated.
Heather Eakin
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Koch has some very insightful observations about managers. While I don’t think all of his suggestions are viable many are extremely helpful.
Alex Pal.
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book of how to do more things and by more successful/happy be working less and clever than working hard without focusing on the right goals.
Kenny Parnell
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A number of very helpful takeaways. I see myself coming back to this one again in the future as I work to apply each of lessons.
Jared Griffiths
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
It was an interesting read but not as useful / practical as I had hoped to my day to day work, life.
Megha Sharma
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
I mean... you could have summed it up in an essay....
Graham Bruns
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-hard-copy
Really liked the applications and examples Koch has in this book. Must read for managers.
Drew
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership, business
Shares a lot in common with Essentialism, one my favorite leadership books.
Spencer Schultze
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars might be a bit high, but I listened to the audiobook and think it unfair to give just 3 as It was easy to follow and in most cases highly practical and helpful.
Mohammad alshawan
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Valuable book it classifies the types of managers and how to accomplish more results with less time
Soundview Executive Book Summaries
The 80/20 Manager: The Secret to Working Less and Achieving More by Richard Koch was chosen by Soundview Executive Book Summaries as one of the Top 30 Business Books of 2014.

THE SOUNDVIEW REVIEW:

As far as obvious statements go, Richard Koch penned one of the best in any business book when he wrote, “Work is overwhelming.” Fortunately, he sets the hook he baited for readers by following his statement with the news that work doesn’t have to be so taxing. In The 80/20 Manager: The Secret to Working
Rob
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-favorites
Pretty good book. I'd say it has a lot in common with Four Hour Work Week by Tim Ferris. Basically it's an application of the Pareto Principle, which says that 80% results come from about 20% of the effort. Basically, you get the biggest results from using your core skills, and the rest of the time is kind of wasted.

This book applies that principle to your role as a manager. There are ten managerial traits that allow you to get your best results and your team's best results without using unnece
James
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-again, business
This book assumes you have a solid understanding of the 80/20 principle. Preferable from Koch's previous work "The 80/20 Principle". This is a collection of 10 habits that great managers have.

1. Stay Curious. An investigative mind will always uncover the truth of the situation. Remember to be like children and ask "why" 3-7 times.
2. Keep connected. You most common opportunities will come from casual acquaintances. In life there are "hard" lottery tickets (college, jobs, military) and "easy" lott
Elizabeth Schlatter
Well... I think it was a helpful read in terms of being more thoughtful about how I allocate my time. At one point the author says that time management is basically micromanagement of your time and is ultimately wasteful. It's much better to focus on the 20% of things you should do, to reap 80% of the benefits (which I'm paraphrasing, but sometimes this 80/20 proportion gets a bit muddied in his writing.) I think the book will be useful to me in terms of stopping before I jump into a task, to th ...more
John Brackbill
As others have said, this book demonstrates the 80/20 principle. 20% of this book was very insightful, the other 80% seemed to be a mix of repeat, contradictory, and far fetched ideas.

I must admit that I read this book as a pastor trying to glean any principles in management and therefore there were vast areas that this book could not easily mesh with my context.

Things I took away that were helpful:
-Focus in on a few key things to accomplish
-Cut out what is not contributing to the advancemen

• Embrace the Struggle: Living Life on Life's Terms
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
  • Draw the Circle: The 40 Day Prayer Challenge
  • The Grave Robber: How Jesus Can Make Your Impossible Possible
  • Burnout (Jessie Black Legal Thrillers, #1)
  • Pegasus in Space (The Talent, #3)
  • Mission of Honor (Honor Harrington, #12)
  • Enchantment
  • The Snow Queen (Five Hundred Kingdoms, #4)
  • الحرب على الكسل
  • Social Engineering: The Art of Human Hacking
  • Seeing What's Next: Using the Theories of Innovation to Predict Industry Change
  • Body Language at Work
  • "سر حياتي  "حكاية العربي
  • Confident Public Speaking: Secrets for Painless Presentations!
  • How to Retire with Enough Money: And How to Know What Enough Is