Start by marking “The 80/20 Manager: The Secret to Working Less and Achieving More” as Want to Read:
The 80/20 Manager: The Secret to Working Less and Achieving More

The 80/20 Manager: The Secret to Working Less and Achieving More

Bestselling author Richard Koch shows managers how to apply the 80/20 Principle to achieve exceptional results at work--without stress or long hours.

In his bestselling book The 80/20 Principle, Richard Koch showed readers how to put the 80/20 Principle--the idea that 80 percent of results come from just 20 percent of effort--into practice in their personal lives. Now in TH
Published October 1st 2013 by Little, Brown and Company (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The 80/20 Manager, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 80/20 Manager

Федор Кривов
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Выдающиеся успехи являются плодом соединения сознательной лени с остротой мысли и исключительными амбициями. Быть менеджером 80/20 – значит каждый день думать о том, какой великой цели можно достичь с минимумом усилий. Для плодотворной жизни и работы требуются оба этих компонента: и простота, и амбициозность. Упорно работающие, но не видящие леса за деревьями менеджеры не достигнут крупных успехов. И то же относится к менеджерам, не имеющим высоких целей.
Bro. Dave
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
holy cow!
If there ever was a book that would benefit from the 80/20 rule...

20% is pretty darn good.
Would have loved if it would have focused on the benefits of what is good rather than the anecdotes.
Jennifer Phillips
Oct 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Overall, I found this book valuable, although some of the specific examples and suggestions felt a bit out of touch with how a majority of managers are probably able to function. Koch presents 10 strategies for managers and is clear that some are harder than others, and that he isn't suggesting you'll necessarily be able to pursue them all. He draws heavily from his experience in the consulting world and a view of life at the executive level. This made it hard for me to relate to some of the con ...more
Ali Jawad
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has literally changed my life. While I couldn't apply its greatness to my work until this very moment but when it comes to my personal real life, it's like the miracle that magically, radically, and positively changed me and made me much better and more powerful. Don't waste time and start reading this book!
Wulan Suci Maria
Jul 04, 2018 rated it liked it
One simple word for 80/20 Pareto Principle : “Prioritization”.

Prioritizing on the most important thing to do is the best way to make the most of time we have, and 80/20 principle taught us how to identify what are those important things to prioritize.

I have heard about the principle since long time ago, and if I am not mistaken the book first published was in 1999 (19 years ago), yet it is still relevant and even become more relevant in todays busy and hyper fragmented world.

Good book to read, o
Brandon
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it
In hindsight, I wish I had read the 80/20 Principle instead. I enjoyed this book, but it is geared towards actual managers in fields that aren't as compatible with mine. That does not mean that it is not still a useful book as I found a handful of valuable applications, but most of what I gained was from the basics of the 80/20 principle, rather than the applications to management. For actual managers in most fields, this would probably be an amazingly helpful book.
Stéphanie McGuirt
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Really good nuggets of wisdom in the book... Very helpful in how I view tasks and business. Not a fan of most of the examples, and glazed over or skipped them entirely to get back to the point of the book. So, I really enjoyed the 20% of it that will have an 80% effect.
Lucas
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Didn't get a lot of actionable information out of this. Seemed like a bunch of platitudes and sometimes interesting stories tied together without a coherent explanation of how they related to the 80/20 principle.
Bogdan Sebeni
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Several instruments presented. To fully understand the book's benefits, my recommendation is to apply the prioritization instruments presented as soon as you get the chance. It is a simple guide to do more with less energy. The book is focused on 'how to prepare better'. Enjoy.
Kenny Parnell
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A number of very helpful takeaways. I see myself coming back to this one again in the future as I work to apply each of lessons.
Heather Eakin
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Koch has some very insightful observations about managers. While I don’t think all of his suggestions are viable many are extremely helpful.
Jared Griffiths
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
It was an interesting read but not as useful / practical as I had hoped to my day to day work, life.
Chufeng Li
Under-analyzed

Limited to business perceptions, guessing other book of his would be more general. Good topic, more generality will be appreciated.
Alex Pal.
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book of how to do more things and by more successful/happy be working less and clever than working hard without focusing on the right goals.
Ronald
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Useful in many ways but mostly managers. Some techniques are quite counter-intuitive, nevertheless everyone can learn something from this book.
Mohammad alshawan
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Valuable book it classifies the types of managers and how to accomplish more results with less time
Rob
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-favorites
Pretty good book. I'd say it has a lot in common with Four Hour Work Week by Tim Ferris. Basically it's an application of the Pareto Principle, which says that 80% results come from about 20% of the effort. Basically, you get the biggest results from using your core skills, and the rest of the time is kind of wasted.

This book applies that principle to your role as a manager. There are ten managerial traits that allow you to get your best results and your team's best results without using unnece
Soundview Executive Book Summaries
The 80/20 Manager: The Secret to Working Less and Achieving More by Richard Koch was chosen by Soundview Executive Book Summaries as one of the Top 30 Business Books of 2014.

THE SOUNDVIEW REVIEW:

As far as obvious statements go, Richard Koch penned one of the best in any business book when he wrote, “Work is overwhelming.” Fortunately, he sets the hook he baited for readers by following his statement with the news that work doesn’t have to be so taxing. In The 80/20 Manager: The Secret to Working
James
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, read-again
This book assumes you have a solid understanding of the 80/20 principle. Preferable from Koch's previous work "The 80/20 Principle". This is a collection of 10 habits that great managers have.

1. Stay Curious. An investigative mind will always uncover the truth of the situation. Remember to be like children and ask "why" 3-7 times.
2. Keep connected. You most common opportunities will come from casual acquaintances. In life there are "hard" lottery tickets (college, jobs, military) and "easy" lott
Elizabeth Schlatter
Well... I think it was a helpful read in terms of being more thoughtful about how I allocate my time. At one point the author says that time management is basically micromanagement of your time and is ultimately wasteful. It's much better to focus on the 20% of things you should do, to reap 80% of the benefits (which I'm paraphrasing, but sometimes this 80/20 proportion gets a bit muddied in his writing.) I think the book will be useful to me in terms of stopping before I jump into a task, to th ...more
John Brackbill
As others have said, this book demonstrates the 80/20 principle. 20% of this book was very insightful, the other 80% seemed to be a mix of repeat, contradictory, and far fetched ideas.

I must admit that I read this book as a pastor trying to glean any principles in management and therefore there were vast areas that this book could not easily mesh with my context.

Things I took away that were helpful:
-Focus in on a few key things to accomplish
-Cut out what is not contributing to the advancemen
George Slade
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Updated 06/22/2018 - Re read this in 24 hours. I think I like it even better the second time around.

Original Review - 2014 - Took me less than a week to finish this one. I couldn't help it. As a manager, or anyone that wants to accomplish more impact in their life, this book gives numerous examples of methods that anyone can use to maximize your results, while cutting your effort by 80 - 90%. I've been leaning towards the principles in this book, ever since I finished the book on Essentialism,
Cris Bergin
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
There was some good advice but it felt more like it was geared towards consulting and marketing and not so much in a standardize working world. There's Specific examples that make it difficult to use in other contexts including your everyday life. Some suggestions seem unrealistic when working with management if the top-down structure doesn't buy into the process. The lazy manager section is unrealistic as well. If a manager doesn't work hard neither will the staff. Business leaders can't live a ...more
Fabrizio Trotti
Feb 06, 2015 rated it liked it
The book is interesting and presents interesting ideas and ways to be a modern manager. The main problem is that many of the examples the author uses to support his theory (80/20) are nothing more than wild guesses to grow the book to about 200 pages. I remember at some point it reads something along these lines: "This is the best example of the 80/20 theory. If we would calculate it, we would probably find out that 20% of the efforts leads to 80% of the results". Not the best of examples if you ...more
Tony Cook
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Richard Koch has a huge amount of experience in management consulting and I really enjoyed how he incorporates stories about actual people that he has worked with over the journey.
Contrasting management styles & approaches from real people added much to the book.

Learning about the "Principle" and the "10 ways" was very interesting and I will definitely be referring back to the book in future.
As a manager myself, I also found the book to be very motivating as it exposes the reader to how some
Alexandria
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
The 80/20 Manager can help anybody whose willing to get things done in a short period of time! The 80/20 method is focusing on the most important tasks (the 20%) for the best outcomes (the 80%). Not only does this book fully explains the 80/20 method but offers ten ways to approach it (like mentoring and strategy). I've put the 80/20 method into practice and it has worked wonders for me. I highly recommend it for people who feel like there's always little time for the most important projects on ...more
Luca
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Am a firm believer in the 80/20 rule, am trying to apply it daily and to teach others its focus and simplicity. This is a bok to read quite a few times, and to continue dealing with its key thoughts all the time. Quite some times you unaware slip out of this rule and get back to maybe the 20/80 rule. Looking back and looking forward it is a super help to effectiveness in everything you do. Very easy read with a few important takeaways!
Kaa
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business

[-Job or deal search: 1 out of 6 successful referrals are from friends; 25% from people you don't know; the rest are from colleagues and acquaintances.
-Superconnector.
-Choose the most important as well as fast tasks -80/20.
-To do list (only one task on the list): start in the morning to do only one the most important task until you finish it.
]
Rachel Parrott
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Even if you are not familair with the 80/20 principle, this book can introduce you as it presents many methods that can be used in a managerial setting. Any workplace looking to release the creative powers of its workers could benefit from "The 80/20 Manager."

I received my copy through Goodreads First Reads program.
James Barr
Mar 24, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm not sure the ideas presented are really "secrets", but some good thought has been put into this book by a guy who has lived through the challenges of a busy manager's life. Thinking before acting and asking, "Why would I do this?" are good starts to gaining more time to focus on the 20% that really makes a difference. The book is thought provoking.
  • Brazen Careerist: The New Rules for Success
  • Mavericks At Work
  • Innovation You: Four Steps to Becoming New and Improved
  • Fail Fast, Fail Often: How Losing Can Help You Win
  • The Executive Functioning Workbook for Teens: Help for Unprepared, Late, and Scattered Teens
  • The Need to Please: Mindfulness Skills to Gain Freedom from People Pleasing and Approval Seeking
  • Brain Changer: How Harnessing Your Brain's Power to Adapt Can Change Your Life
  • Conversations with Millionaires: What Millionaires Do to Get Rich, That You Never Learned about in School!
  • To Do Doing Done: A Creative Approach to Managing Projects and Effectively Finishing What Matters Most
  • The 21 Success Secrets of Self-Made Millionaires: How to Achieve Financial Independence Faster and Easier Than You Ever Thought Possible
  • Confidence: Biblical Truths for Discovering God's Potential for You
  • Write! Stop Waiting, Start Writing. A Step-By-Step Guide to Turn What You Know Into a Book
  • The Crowdfunding Bible: How to Raise Money for Any Startup, Video Game or Project
  • It's All in Your Dreams: How to Interpret Your Sleeping Dreams to Make Your Waking Dreams Come True
  • Autopilot: The Art & Science of Doing Nothing
  • Startup CEO: A Field Guide to Scaling Up Your Business, + Website
  • Paranoia to Possibility: Escape Small Thinking, Listen Like A Master, And Lead With Your Best
  • Mogul, Mom, & Maid: The Balancing Act of the Modern Woman