Start by marking “Man 2.0 Engineering the Alpha: A Real World Guide to an Unreal Life” as Want to Read:
Man 2.0 Engineering the Alpha: A Real World Guide to an Unreal Life

Man 2.0 Engineering the Alpha: A Real World Guide to an Unreal Life

Are you a guy who's interested in building rock hard muscle, erasing your belly fat, boosting your testosterone, and having more mind-blowing sex than you thought possible?

If so, then Man 2.0: Engineering the Alpha was written specifically for you...

In his new book, celebrity trainer and Men's Health expert John 'Roman' Romaniello teams up with expert Adam Bornstein, former editor for both M
Audiobook
Published April 16th 2013 by HarperAudio (first published April 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Man 2.0 Engineering the Alpha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man 2.0 Engineering the Alpha

Start your review of Man 2.0 Engineering the Alpha: A Real World Guide to an Unreal Life
Ron
May 10, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked it, but with a few caveats.

I probably wasn't the intended audience. The authors try really hard on their brand to come across as edgy, no nonsense, atypical personal trainers. They have a chapter titles "The Fitness Industry Is Completely Fucked Up." That's what made me check this book out, to see if they'd say something significant, perhaps about how the business model of commercial gyms and other fitness products aren't aligned with client/customer results, or perhaps about how it fee
Chris Ford
Apr 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
Men's Health with more swearing. Rambling pseudo-motivational-speaker style, with awful mangling of the science (see the treatment of insulin or brown fat for starters). If you know anything about diet or training, there is nothing here for you.
gabriel morales
Apr 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
embarrassing. i got lost in the rio grande valley and started the book, forced myself to get through the whole thing in an act of self-hatred. i don't know what i expected.

the first 80% of the book is: fuck fuck hormones fuck awesome awesome hormones tyler durden awesome trust us awesome fuck read this book testosterone awesome sex kierkegaard awesome testosterone trust us read this book awesome hormones joseph campbell awesome star wars hormones trust us awesome amazing awesome fuck hormones h
Rsoeffker
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book left me a bit torn on what to think of it. I honestly am in good shape and needed another fitness/nutrition book like a kick in the balls. I picked it up anyway after I saw his interview with Sean Croxton.

The book offers plenty of insight that a newbie to fitness (or someone set in the old whole grain/killer cardio world) could benefit from. Furthermore, it lays out a very firm set of guidelines and a plan that most books of this nature lack.

The problem I have is the "bro" mentality.
L
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, health, nutrition
I met John a few months ago, and we instantly bonded over our mutual love of steak & philosophy. That is pretty much the only reason I purchased and read this book. I'm going to be honest: I was not expecting to like it very much, especially as a nutritional therapy practitioner & powerlifter. I was expecting more of the same bodybuilding bro-science-calories-in-calories-out BS, just executed with much better writing (John's an excellent writer). I was blown away. It far surpassed any ot ...more
Emilie
May 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am so not the target audience. For starters I lack the Y chromosome ;-)
I also already eat a very healthy diet, lift pretty heavy weights and read up quite a bit about working out, diet and sleep over the years.

That said, I still found this book interesting as it combines a lot of information that is out there in one place and presents it relatively simply. I even picked up a few things that were new to me, especially regarding nutrition and hormones which I will certainly res
Costantine Plassaras
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great book. Romaniello is indeed very informative about things and especially if you are new to change your diet and learning some basics of biology and human physiology, he is a great start. If you're intermediate (like me) it has some great info regarding hormones and why nutrition cycling is important, but the rest is already known at that level. If you're expert you can skip this book.

A great value nevertheless, such a shame that I didn't come across earlier to it if you 're beginner is a
Selim Tlili
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting ideas about weight lifting and the primacy of intermittent Fasting as a tool to get into the best shape of your life. I will give it a try.
A lot of the book was repetitive and the instructions regarding the workouts were very intricate. It’s interesting that they wanted to make a simple eating schedule but a challenging to follow work out schedule.
Overall definitely worth exploring from a philosophical and scientific angle. The bro science was minimal even though it had a
Josh
Feb 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book could have been titled: The Douchebag’s Handbook: 7 motivational speeches for assholes (bonus workout program!)

If I couldn’t have listened to an audiobook on 2x while skipping the cringe-worthy parts (which was most of it), I wouldn’t have finished it.

As for the diet/exercise program, I’m mainly interested in trying intermittent fasting in general (which in my defense, is why I started reading this). The plan outlined in the book is complicated. If you try it, s
Koleś
May 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Mix of "broscience", coaching, motivation and some fitness advices. Maybe it's good for people who like to read the message in this kind of form and know not much about fitness and latest research on health in general, but otherwise it is a waste of time - half of the book was the introduction and repeating again and again what the book will offer me later. They kept repeating that hormones are responsible for everything for this first half of the book...
Troy
Apr 14, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: garbage
Mediocre, Broscientific and Uninsightful

I bought this book even after I knew all the five star reviews (on Amazon) were bogus (written by cronies, friends and family of the authors) and the 1-3 star reviews were justified by objectivity. I'll explain why I did that later, as well as why I'm not disappointed in purchasing this book via Amazon. What I am disappointed in is the complete lack of scientific `secrets' and `revelations' that are supposed to be involved in this book.

Here I was
Fedogo
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Incredibly entertaining read. The author did a great job of motivating me to get my body in motion. I'm now exercising regularly and watching what I eat. I think the pro's of this book greatly out number the cons so I'm not going to write down any negative criticism. I recommend people give this book a shot.
Jeff
Jun 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Don’t buy this book. The author has limited vocabulary. He must have used f*ck over 300 times in the book. This followed by his obsession of getting laid and how this book will help you to achieve the goal. 6 chapters in to the 12 chapters and all he speaks nothing of how to get stronger, build body mass. Arnold Schwarzenegger was duped into writing the forward or paid a lot of money.
Jonathan Metze
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
good information in the last 2 chapters. the rest of the book is like an infomercial. That kind of writing is really quite tedious. That said I will give the program a shot and see if it does as advertised. Will come back and update review then.
Brusher Social
Sep 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Book for angry incels who need to hype themselves up with stupid bullshit like AAALPHA journey and superhero references to move their ass.
The workout plan is solid but some exercises are overcomplicated.
David
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just OK....mainly for hard core fitness buffs
Frode Sønstebø
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great stuff, clear and in simple details.
Akita
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book about fitness (diet+workouts). A little too much fluff for me. But overall, great resource for anyone starting (or rebooting) his/her fitness journey.
Benjamin
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read the audiobook. It might be edited from the actual book. I am planning on buying a physical copy.
James Welsh
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lot of interesting points and definitely some things to think about. If their claims all work... I'll be superman in no time.
Jeff Ford
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found this book full of useful information about fitness and diet. Introduced me to intermittent fasting and managing hormones.
Dennis Ray
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Good tidbits for fitness beginners. Nothing new.
Upen
Mar 27, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Waste of time
Troy
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Could have done without all the profanity. Cussing isn't alpha.
James Lusher
The first couple of sections of this book is all positioning and suspense build up. The final section with the workouts and meal plans and focus on hormones is excellent.
Joshua Duran
Jul 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
Audible Audiobook. Synopsis: Get more sleep, have more sex, workout, and do intermittent fasting and you become alpha.
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good information on the importance of hormones and how to adjust them.

Notes:

Hormone: BDNF = Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (Reduces Intelligence) creates synapses

GH = Growth Hormone

Autophagy - bodys ability to regenerate better

"The more time you spend eating - as in actual hours during the day eating - the less time you spend in the autophagic process." Pg.20

"Having high testosterone isn't about being an asshole. It's about not bein
Craig Carignan
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not really a topic that I am interested in but I did find some of it interesting.
Donald Guy
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its been 16 weeks at least mostly-doing the program so I'm calling it done and moving on to the next thing.

Overall: I think it was definitely good for me; I don't know if it lived up to its somewhat hyperbolic promises, but I don't know if that's the fault of the instructions, me, or most likely some of both. To be fair, my adherence to the diet and supplementation regimen fell off towards the end, and probably my level of health followed it down -- but to be fair, this was the same
Joe
May 08, 2013 rated it liked it
I did not like the tone of the book, the Americanisms, swearing and "bro-isms", but aside from that it was very interesting. It gave some great scientific background for the diet and regime it was about to propose... However...

Then came the action part of the book. I found errors in the write up of the exercises, for example saying to do a plank for 45 seconds, then later in the next sentence referring to performing a plank for 60 seconds. Also stating that you need 1.25g of protein
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Discipline Equals Freedom: Field Manual
  • Own the Day, Own Your Life: Optimised practices for waking, working, learning, eating, training, playing, sleeping and sex
  • Multipliers: How the Best Leaders Make Everyone Smarter
  • Living with the Monks: What Turning Off My Phone Taught Me about Happiness, Gratitude, and Focus
  • The 4-Hour Chef: The Simple Path to Cooking Like a Pro, Learning Anything, and Living the Good Life
  • The Way of the Superior Man: A Spiritual Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Women, Work, and Sexual Desire
  • The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists
  • No More Mr. Nice Guy
  • The 12 Week Year
  • Living Forward: A Proven Plan to Stop Drifting and Get the Life You Want
  • The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding: The Bible of Bodybuilding, Fully Updated and Revised
  • I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was: How to Discover What You Really Want and How to Get It
  • The 6 Most Important Decisions You'll Ever Make: A Guide for Teens
  • Total Recall: My Unbelievably True Life Story
  • Sleep Smarter: 21 Essential Strategies to Sleep Your Way to A Better Body, Better Health, and Bigger Success
  • The Truth: An Uncomfortable Book About Relationships
  • The Charisma Myth: How Anyone Can Master the Art and Science of Personal Magnetism
  • Time Enough for Love
John Romaniello is an author, angel investor, media personality, and consultant who helps entrepreneurs improve communication skills and increase revenue through writing.

Well-known across multiple industries, Romaniello has written hundreds of articles covering topics from business and marketing to fitness and self-development.

Having gotten his start as a fitness writer and
“There is one rule, above all others, for being a man. Whatever comes, face it on your feet.” —ROBERT JORDAN, THE GREAT HUNT ARIA” 0 likes
“The problem: we fail to realize that we are the hero and that our life should be a tale worth telling. This” 0 likes