Start by marking “Rotten Ralph's Trick or Treat” as Want to Read:
Rotten Ralph's Trick or Treat

Rotten Ralph's Trick or Treat (Rotten Ralph)

3.27  ·  Rating details ·  78 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Sarah's rotten cat, Ralph, goes to a Halloween costume party disguised as Sarah and creates horrible mischief.
Published October 24th 1988 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Rotten Ralph's Trick or Treat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rotten Ralph's Trick or Treat

Amanda
When Sarah and her cat Rotten Ralph go to a Halloween party dressed as each other, Ralph's antics almost ruin their friendship.

I've never read the rest of the Rotten Ralph series, but this one is pretty cute. Sarah and her cat, Rotten Ralph, receive an invitation to a Halloween party with instructions to dress up as whatever they love the most. Sarah decides that they should dress up like each other. But when he misbehaves at the party, everyone thinks it's her! What a rotten cat. But he makes u
Kimberly
Apr 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
I just don't like Rotten Ralph, not at all. I think this was a little better than the last one I read, but I hate how he gets away with always being awful and having his little girl always forgiving him. He made her look bad and nothing was fixed, she just forgave him without him cleaning up his mess. I just find it a bit too close to an abusive relationship, not something I want my kids to learn.
Jackie
Sarah and Rotten Ralph are best friends and they've been invited to a Halloween party! Since Sarah decides they will go dressed as each other, she doesn't quite realize how this will affect the party. When Ralph (dressed as Sarah) starts doing rotten things, all her friends are mad at her. She's upset and wants to go home, which makes the real Ralph happy.

In the end, though, Sarah, forgives Ralph (after a very unrotten thing he does) and they enjoy Halloween together.
Sarah Derosier
Oct 03, 2015 rated it liked it
The story is cute me and my boyfriend both grew up with rotten Ralph but the fact the Ralph dresses as Sarah and ruins the evening for her by making her look bad, and getting them both kicked out of the party. Ralph makes it all better cause he fights off black cat from crossing Sarah's path which is cute. But it would have been nice if they had both gone back and apologized to the other party goers.
Stephanie Skolmoski
Oct 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: halloween-books
Rotten Ralph has a way of leaving a trail of catastrophe behind him. Often time he is naughty, mischievous and down right mean. But in the end, he is loved by all. I’m not a big fan of these stories, although, children love to laugh at Ralph can find too many other books that are more positive and portrays more appropriate behavior. I am not even a fan of the illustration. The cover was cute, however.
Josiah
Oct 06, 2009 rated it did not like it
Jack Gantos certainly has a way with illustrated stories, and Rotten Ralph remains one of the most memorable characters that I have read about in any picture book. I like the way that, no matter what Ralph does or how Rotten he acts, Sarah loves him no less. She loves Ralph just because she does, not because he's perfect (or, for that matter, even good!).
I would give this book one and a half stars.
Mary
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sarah and Ralph go to a Halloween party dressed as each other. Ralph dressed as Sarah is totally rotten and they both get thrown out of the party. Young listeners find Ralph's antics very funny. Although adults may wish Ralph had gotten into trouble instead of Sarah, young readers enjoy how much Sarah loves him.
Beth
Jan 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, halloween
Sarah has been invited to a Halloween costume party and is to dress as what she loves best. It is decided that Sarah will dress as Rotten Ralph and Rotten Ralph will dress like Sarah. Sarah ends up being asked to leave due to Ralph's behavior, but they believe that it is Sarah acting this way since their costumes are so perfect.
Heather
Aug 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s-books
My daughter and I love Halloween books, but this was more about a mean-spirited cat wreaking havoc on a good time. The book is choppy, with scenes being thrown together. The author didn't even feel it necessary to name the "hostess" of the party. And why would the party-goers say "you look nice" to Sarah if she came dressed in regular street clothes?
Dolly
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I didn't really like this book, but our youngest loved it, so I suppose there's something about it that appeals to young children. The narrative was irritating and the illustrations were comparable to other books in the Rotten Ralph series.
Lyn
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 1-picture-books
Rotten Ralph is not likable at all and Sarah is a bit of wimp. Ralph's turn-around with the black cat at the end of the book didn't change my opinion. He's still being rotten, only this time to the cat.
Meredith
Rotten Ralph, a bad red cat the size of an average 3rd grader, is once again up to selfish mean-spirited mischief of the PG variety. This time dressed as his owner Sarah, he behaves so badly at a Halloween party that they are both asked to leave.

I wanted to like this, but I couldn't.
Misti Rainwater-Lites
Mar 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: cats and little girls
Recommended to Misti by: Kirk Cameron or Dr. James Dobson
Rotten Ralph...I love his rotten ass. Love reading this to my son.
Readergirl77
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nathans-shelf
Nathan loves Rotten Ralph.
Kaethe
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud
I think this is my favorite of Ralph's adventures, because I love stories about people switching places. Especially when one of them makes the other one look bad.
Estrella
Nov 16, 2011
Renee Martin
Oct 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Jack Gantos is an American author of children's books renowned for his portrayal of fictional Joey Pigza, a boy with ADHD, and many other well known characters such as Rotten Ralph, Jack Henry, Jack Gantos (memoirs) and others. Gantos has won a number of awards, including the Newbery, the Newbery Honor, the Scott O'Dell Award, the Printz Honor, and the Sibert Honor from the American Library Associ ...more
More about Jack Gantos

Rotten Ralph (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Rotten Ralph
  • The Nine Lives of Rotten Ralph
  • Back to School for Rotten Ralph
  • Worse Than Rotten, Ralph (Rotten Ralph (Paperback))
  • Rotten Ralph Helps Out