Start by marking “Gatherer of Clouds” as Want to Read:
Gatherer of Clouds

Gatherer of Clouds

(Initiate Brother #2)

As spring blooms in the Empire of Wa, Initiate Brother Shuyun, spiritual advisor to Lord Shonto, receives a shocking message. The massive army of the Golden Khan is poised at their border. Forced to retreat south, Lord Shonto is caught between the pursuing barbarian hordes and his own hostile emperor's army. Meanwhile, Lady Nishima becomes involved in dangerous intrigues, ...more
Audio CD
Published April 1st 2013 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published November 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Gatherer of Clouds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gatherer of Clouds

Start your review of Gatherer of Clouds
Spirit-Soul-Body
It is a good read. Book to be recommended ...

early part was not as exciting as even book-I but later part sometimes crosses to novel -" Shōgun".

ohh, I am happy that found and read the book.

this book has so many deep characters gives you joy even long time after.

“I believe, as you have said, that Jaku Tadamoto was an honorable man torn between honor and loyalty and love. In a lifetime of service to the Shonto I have never once felt so torn.”

"we will never know if you fell into their hands
Stevie Kincade
Gatherer of clouds is the sequel to The Initiate Brother a court-intrigue Fantasy set in an unspecified ancient Asian setting. A story of mystic monks, ambitions failed and realised, military strategy and political manouvering, Russell presents a fully realised world and a large cast of characters.

I enjoyed The Initiate Brother quite a bit, but it somehow took me 6 months to get around to Gatherer of Clouds . Given the complex plot machinations and the number of characters involved I expected
Kat  Hooper
Jul 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Gatherer of Clouds is the sequel to Sean Russell’s The Initiate Brother, a story which is not so much about the Initiate Brother Shuyun, spiritual advisor to Lord Shonto, as it is about the entire Shonto household — a household that is seen as a threat by an insecure emperor. And with good reason, for Lord Shonto is an honorable, intelligent, and insightful man who has raised his children to be his equals and who has surrounded himself with a competent and
Metaphorosis

reviews.metaphorosis.com

Sent away from the capital in a nominal propmtion, Shonto Motoru finds the threat from barbarian tribes to be a very real danger to the Empire of Wa. The barbarians have support from unexpected places, and Shonto must decide how to respond, when any course looks like treachery to the suspicious Emperor. Shonto's Spiritual Advisor, the talented monk Shuyun, faces his own dilemmas as he questions aspects of his faith just as others look to him for guidance.

The
Dan
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
2018 reread: A lengthy read but very enjoyable.
Cadeyrn Kearney
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No book has ever struck me emotionally like this. It's a great book. It's a magnificent work of art. But the deaths cut deep. One death very specifically. I did not expect the great man, the father, the son, the teacher, to sacrifice even his life.

I have no closure and that's what pains the most. I have no closure. It was unexpected and happened off screen. Why?

I recommend this book to all those who delight in fantasy.
Tracy
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In many ways, part two of this book is far superior to the first, but I have tried to review them as one story. Because, unlike a serial series, a sequential series hangs on each other. You cannot have the Return of the King without the Fellowship of the Rings.
Here we find resolution, and the answers to all the question Russell has raised, and the happy ending we all secretly have been waiting for.
Kathleen
The story is complete now in part two of the duology: The Cloud Gatherer. I read both books back to back and would recommend them to readers who don't mind a slightly slow pace, some philosophy, and a little poetry.

I read and listened. Narration is fine, but not brilliant.

A medieval Asian tale (Japanese-Chinese mix) with the slightest fantastical bent, set in a mythical land (see maps) with lords and ladies, peasants and emperors, warriors and monks, politics, lies, and conspiracies, murder,
Croc
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was good writing, but the characters were not written. They had so much potential, but it was never realized. We kept hearing what a great general Shonto was but we barely see him in action. He suffered the most anticlimactic death off the stage. I think this book would have been much better if we were shown greatness of the characters rather than told of the aforementioned greatness over and over and over again.
Brit
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the finally to this duology and while it had a lot of change and upheval especially in regards to the characters. It was very middle of the road because of the very opened ending. Almost every string of this story is left untied and it wasn't enough conclusion and info for an ending for me.
gradedog
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sequel to The Intiate Brother. I enjoyed this conclusion to the story of Shuyun and the Shonto and their allies and enemies. I found it got a little muddled in the middle but ended well. I have only read a few fantasies with Asian settings and I think this is my favorite.
Kian
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how i am both happy and sad by the ending.
Robin Tell-Drake
A flawed but beloved old favorite from college, one I worry will pass from the collective memory sooner than it ought. That said, I must confess that I'm giving it stars based, I suppose, on a separate scale from that I might apply to Beowulf, say, or Dubliners. Perhaps--and I am realizing this as I consider the question of how many stars to award here--I use a five-star scale not so much as an absolute range of value applicable across all books, but as a measure of the extent to which a book ...more
Mark
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kamal Syed
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Made DNA
This book, while an interesting, well-thought out, deep tale suffers from a lack of knowledge of Japanese culture (on which it is 90% based) on the part of the writer.

Touted as set in a "magical fantasy Orient" (a word I personally despise), it tells the story of Brother Shuyun (from The Initiate brother), Lord Shonto (governor of the province of Seh) and a large cast of others as they discover and fight off a massive invasion by desert clans who live to the north. Claiming to the be the
Scott Wozniak
This story is profound. And the writing is masterfully done. So why 3 stars? Because while the themes were moving and the paragraphs beautiful, this book spends WAY too much time on non-essential elements, such as side characters (we really didn't need scene after scene with the consort of the Emperor) and poetry (the few tasteful poems of the first book became frequent and long).

The ending leaves me not sure if I'm happy or not. That's not bad in and of itself--it's a complex tale. But it's
Mars
Apr 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(3.5 stars)

(Written while about halfway through, may update later.)

This is a sequel second half of the Initiate Brother.

It's rather similar, but a bit more boring, as there is little new or hidden information coming to light - they just re-hash the same old data, and occasionally change the numbers, but nothing like the first book.

The second half (of the second half) picks up a bit, however.

It's not bad, but only just manages to pull its weight in shelf-space.
Barbara
Sep 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
This book (both books actually) consider loyalty, courage, faith and compassion and more besides. I particularly liked that the last 20% or so of this book dealt with the aftermath of the war. There are consequences even for the winners that can't be ignored.

It isn't perfect. It does drag a little in the middle and I never really bought into the main love story but it is well worth reading all the same.
Outmind
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25/5

A short and well written fantasy series. Some aspects could have been done more aptly, but all in all every loose end is somehow tied together and the reader is left with a sense of both satisfaction at the end as well as a bit of sad bitterness that comes from bidding farewell to "people" whose lives have penetrated your own for a couple of weeks.
Chris
May 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, complex world and story written well. High literature? No. Worth reading? Yes. This book and the previous one (1/2 and 2/2) really feel like a single long book that was just too big to publish in a single volume.
Ronando
May 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Asians. People who love fantasy and asian history.
Recommended to Ronando by: Josh.
Shelves: fantasy_scifi
A wonderful book of an asian land with exquisite formality. The story of a monk, his lord, the brotherhood of monks an emperor and so much, much more. An excellent writer who needs no explosive and grand actions to succeed in his efforts.

Better than the first. Highly recommended.
Beth
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Bill Mead
Jun 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second half of Initiate Brother. This is not a "series" but a continuation of the story which was too long for one novel. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Mark
Jul 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was more exciting than the first book but still not a page turner that I can't put down.
Cynthia Radthorne
Also one of the inspirations for my own series.
Conrad Toft
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book and the characters, but not as much as the first book. Odd that. I'm not really sure why.
LemontreeLime
There were some spectacular scenes in this one, that even ten years later I occasionally think about. Wish this series had continued.
Jon
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly this book tries to go to too many places within the space of the text. It feels like a rushed end.
Cal
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sadness and Beauty. Duty and Honor. Reality and Illusion. Love and Pain. What more can one ask?

• Sang-Pitié
  • Les Royaumes du Nord (Les Royaumes du Nord, #3)
  • Belle de Mort
  • Seventh Son (Tales of Alvin Maker, #1)
  • Guerrier des Lunes
  • L'ange du chaos (L'agent des ombres, #1)
  • Hors-Destin (L'agent des ombres, #4)
  • The Golden Compass Graphic Novel, Volume 1
  • Les Royaumes du Nord (Tome 2 - À la croisée des mondes)
  • Coeur de Loki (L'agent des ombres, #2)
  • Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener's Bones (Alcatraz, #2)
  • A Crucible of Souls (Sorcery Ascendant Sequence, #1)
  • The Black Lung Captain (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #2)
  • The Iron Jackal (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #3)
  • Memories of Glass
  • Taste of Darkness (Healer, #3)
  • A Brightness Long Ago
  • A Plague of Zombies (Lord John Grey #3.5)
Aka Sean Thomas Russell

Sean Russel has co-written, with Ian Dennis, a mystery series called "Memoirs of a Bow Street Runner". The first volume of the series was published by Bantam under their joint pen name, T.F. Banks.

Sean Russell was born 1952 in Toronto. At the age of three his family moved to the outskirts of the city, where they lived in a cottage at the beach of Lake Ontario. At the age of

Initiate Brother (2 books)
  • The Initiate Brother (Initiate Brother, #1)