Start by marking “Water Baby” as Want to Read:
Water Baby

Water Baby

Brody is an unstoppable surfer girl who gets her leg bitten off by a shark and is forced to deal with her new disability--not to mention a strange, shark-like transformation that may or may not be happening to her.
Published July 8th 2008 by Minx (first published May 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Water Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Water Baby

Start your review of Water Baby
Marissa
Jun 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comix
Hmm. The weird thing about Sophia Campbell is that she's totally white and her main characters always seem to be vaguely asian-looking, black punk rock girls. While I definitely like seeing some strong black female characters in comics, she does draw them in a ludicrously sexualized way. They all have these pouty lips and big breasts and wear next to nothing. Also, while I know the whole Minx brand is intended to cater to teenage girls, the characters rendered here do not strike me as being at a ...more
jess
Mar 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
Two stars: one of the art, one for the best intentions. Like some other people, I am working my way through the Minx books now that Minx has folded. This is probably one of my least favorite Minx titles to date. I've read a lot of them. I really wanted to love the story of the badass punk one-legged queer woman of color, but honestly, it's kind of dumb. Someone else pointed out how sexualized the WOC's bodies are - they are supposed to be teen girls, with giant breasts, running around in their u ...more
Nicole
Jun 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I loved the art style of this book. The gist of the story was good but too often the characters didn't ring true to me. I wanted to enjoy the story as much as I loved the art, but it just wasn't there for me. Hate to say it, but it read just too much like a guy's fantasy for me.
Diana Welsch
Nov 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Geez, obsessed with large-breasted women much? If this author had put as much loving detail into the story as he did into the drawings of the women's bodies, this would have been much better.
Nikki
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
I picked up Water Baby at the library because I liked the cover art, and the story's premise. I also liked that it was targeted to teenage girls, though I'm not one. Unlike some other reviewers, I don't think the problem is the peeing or the "hypersexualized" graphics. Hell, a lot of young people are very sexual (and sexy).

I think the problem is that the book has very little depth. I would think that it would be easy enough to get some depth out of a story about recovering from an amputation, b
Erika
For a graphic novel meant to appeal to teenage girls, it was pretty obvious that it was written by a dude. Hyper-sexualized illustrations of the female characters who seem to only wear underwear or booty shorts, all the time. The story itself was pointless and even when I tried to suspend my disbelief I didn't buy it. The only thing I enjoyed about this was the cool artwork in the dream sequences.
Philip
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
Very nice art (although sometimes it feels like we are getting too close a look into what turns Campbell on). The writing feels more like an extended anecdote rather than an actual story. It's just a bunch of stuff that happens, but what's the point?
Paul
Jul 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: lit-nongenre
Ross Campbell has established a very distinctive style, not just in how he renders things, but in tone, themes, and those little elements that make a writer's work recognizable. There are hot girls in tiny, punky outfits (often dirty and ragged), but the hot girls have different body types and do unhot things like pick their noses. There are some really creepy visuals. The settings are always kinda rednecky and lowdown. There's a nihilistic vibe. Some of the same bands are referenced that are re ...more
Raina
Mar 21, 2009 rated it did not like it
Didn't even finish this title.
I admire the intent of the Minx line (recently defunct). With a major squint of the eyes. Minx books are supposed to be "cool" comic books with teen girl appeal. Most of the authors/illustrators are male, but that also (supposedly) represents the comics industry. For me though, the majority of the line just doesn't strike true.
This is a prime example. The illustration is sexed up to the point of sexist objectification, this assignment an apparent excuse for the au
Steph
This book bugged me. The art style is very uncomfortable; women always very sexualized, scantily clad with bulging boobs everywhere; and everyone looks like they need a shower. The combination was really gross, and made me eager to put the book down (and take a shower).

But I really enjoyed Brody's surreal shark dreams. Those sequences reminded me of Everything Is Teeth, which is a much more enjoyable shark-themed graphic novel.

(view spoiler)
Andrea LeClair
Feb 28, 2009 rated it did not like it
I hated this, though I didn't stop reading until a few pages from the end, because I liked the art and kept hoping I would like the story. I thought there were too many half-dressed women (and not even superhero-dressed, just....underwear) and some uncomfortable lesbianism-on-display. Also, I feel like you can get away with one peeing scene in a graphic novel, but certainly not more than one.
Kristin
Jan 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fuckery
problematic as fuck.

parts of it were awesome but then it's like sure enough, the straight white dude's fantasy of brown queer women comes right through to affirm his fantasies. ok if you can totally block that out.

ugh. not impressed, ross campbell, wth!
Robert Beveridge
Ross Campbell, Water Baby (Minx, 2008)

Campbell (The Abandoned) temporarily shelves his goth-rock staple Wet Moon and digs into a quick study of post-traumatic stress disorder, dysfunctional relationships, and larceny on the road in Water Baby. Facile? Absolutely, but that doesn't make it any elss worth reading.

Brody is a Florida surfer. Or she was, until she became the first victim in a string of shark attacks along the coast, leaving her with an artificial leg, a bitter outlook on life, and nig
Brittany
I really wish there was more to the story, because it was really interesting and the art was beautiful. Alas, however that is all, I feel so much was unresolved, maybe it was intentional. Life doesn't always give you all the answers and sometimes all it gives you is someone just walking away.

When Brody is attacked by a shark and loses a leg, she knows that life must go on. A year later she's living with her best friend and starting to have shark infested nightmares. Then, her ex-boyfriend rolls
Tim Snell
Sep 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Genre: Concept/Graphic Novel
Copyright: 2008

Brody isn't your typical high school girl. One day while surfing, Brody has an unfortunate encounter with a shark and loses one of her legs. Now, she must struggle with nightmares, walking on a prosthetic, and dealing with her ex-boyfriend who shows up uninvited.

The story and artwork are great, yet, some parents may think the artwork is too "sexy" for younger readers. Characters are constantly dressed in skimpy attire and although there are no explicit
Steven R. McEvoy
May 03, 2012 rated it liked it
The short-lived MINX graphic novel line was supposed to feature stories about strong women and girls and be quality graphic novels for young women. I plan on keeping most of the series set aside for my daughters for when they are older, but this is one book I will not be keeping. I found very little that is redeeming about this graphic novel. The main character has lost her leg in a shark attack; we don't know if her sour view of life and the way she treats everyone poorly was habitual before or ...more
Emily
Jun 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-manga
Water Baby is a cute graphic novel about anarchic surfer Brody (whose leg was bitten off by a shark, duh), and her kinda messed-up, kinda rag-tag friends and lovers.

Water Baby has it's moments of imagery genius, particularly in Brody's recurring shark-related nightmare sequences, and Campbell does what he does best of all here; creating a cast of diverse and real characters. Ultimately though, the dialogue lacks polish and lets the book down somewhat.

I'm a huge fan of Ross Campbell's work and w
Abbey
Aug 09, 2009 rated it it was ok
i wanted to love you water baby! you had everything i thought i was looking for: strong, female protagonist with queer and mixed race identities... but come on! i am just echoing what everyone else has been saying: this comic is super sexualized in terms of the artistic merit and literary merit! so unbelievable as well... and the ending? so abrupt and so unfinished. i would have preferred an in-depth exploration of brody's experiences with the shark bite (i.e. the dream sequences were amazing!) ...more
David Corleto-Bales
Jun 10, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2010
A rather pointless and obviously fetish-driven graphic novel about a surfer girl in Florida, who wears very few clothes, who gets her leg bitten off by a shark and hangs out with another girls who wears very few clothes. They meet up with her former boyfriend, a hopeless leech, who proceeds to eat them out of house and home; pissed off at him, they take him back to New York State and along the way meet another girl who wears very few clothes. No surprise that this graphic novel was written by a ...more
Robin
Jul 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who like quirky graphic novels
Recommended to Robin by: reviews?
This is the most impressive graphic novel that I have read from the Minx imprint. This story about a Florida surfer girl who loses her leg to a shark is just the most interesting tale and the illustrations lend so much to the story when she has nightmares about the shark attack. I have not read anything else by Ross Campbell but I am so pleasantly surprised by this book that I had to read it straight through (and not send it to the person who had already put it on hold! Sorry Brandi!)
Brandi Rae Fong
Aug 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I have yet to find a Minx graphic novel I haven't liked. While this one wasn't my favorite (that would be either The Plain Janes or Clubbing), it was defintely a unique book worth reading.
Lexi
Jan 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Story is okay - I like the dreams. The art is really cool and I like seeing queer young women of color represented in books.
Rhica
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Street lit as a graphic novel. It is a weird concoction of drama and mind games due to a missing leg and an ex-boyfriend who just won't leave.
nicole Kitchy
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
I picked this book up at my local library while waiting for my brother top finish his tutoring. The Art style is nice; it doesn't shy away from the sexual aspect of teenagers (though I thought that they were all in their early twenties until I read more about it online), and has a nice juxtaposition between the girls' being sexy, and yet doing unsexy things. I liked how Brody's bisexuality was shown, and I really loved the dream sequences. However, the dream sequences seemed to lead on to someth ...more
Mel
Jan 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Like many others that read this book, I found it to be a bit of a dud. The dream sequences were cool but apart from that there was little that kept me interested. The characters felt mostly flat and not fleshed out, and the girls were drawn so overly sexualised it really threw me out of the story. I thought at least the ending would have some pay off, when they eventually got Jake back home, but it was hugely anticlimactic.

The dream sequences WERE cool though. But not cool enough to save this bo
Eva Mpatshi
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I remember really liking the first time I read it.
Not so much any more.
Sophie's drawings are really good, but as seen in many other comments under this book, very overly sexy for what should be young kids.

I must say, I do like the dream sequences a lot.
And the fact that in Sophie's books there are always multiple ethnicities to be found, as well as many queer characters.
Mostly multiple body shapes as well (big, small, tiny, tall, disabled,...), not so much in this comic though...
Christina Conley
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Sophie Campbell is one of my all time favorite comic artists and writers. The Wet Moon series will always be close to my heart. This book has some Easter egg references to Wet Moon but I wish it was part of it’s own larger story or was placed fully in the Wet Moon storyline. It feels incomplete as it is. I think there was a lot more in the story that was worthy of being further fleshed out. Overall, if you are a huge fan of Campbell it’s worth the read for the art.
dinoserious
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really like the art but the story could have been a bit more substantial. I felt like I went along for a ride with the characters but nothing really happened (no character development...).
Hannah Givens
Lots of barf humor(?), lots of unlikeable underaged characters wanting to have sex with each other, plot never went anywhere.
Jess Twibey
I’m so disappointed, I thought she was gonna turn into like shark girl or something. Failing that I wanted the super cute best friend/lesbian couple trope but nope.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
IDAHO: The water babies of Massacre Rocks 1 1 Oct 10, 2018 10:01AM

• Morning Cold (Wet Moon #7)
  • Garbage Night
  • Patsy Walker: Hellcat
  • Batwoman, Volume 3: World's Finest
  • Batwoman: Elegy
  • Astonishing X-Men, Volume 1: Gifted
  • Hack/Slash Volume 6: In Revenge And In Love (Hack Slash)
  • Captain America: Red Menace