Start by marking “The Storm Testament” as Want to Read:
The Storm Testament

The Storm Testament

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  669 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Wanted by Missouri law for his revenge on mob leader Dick Boggs in 1839, 15-year-old Dan Storm flees to the Rocky Mountains with his friend, Ike, and escaped slave. Dan settles with the Ute Indians where he courts the beautiful Red Leaf and Ike becomes chief of a band of Gosiutes in Utah's west desert. In an effort to win a dowry for the hand of Red Leaf, Dan teams up with ...more
Published August 1st 1982 by Council Pr

To ask other readers questions about The Storm Testament, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Storm Testament

Jessica
Jul 01, 2009 rated it liked it
This book was on my father-in-law's bookshelf, and since I'm "in the West" I thought this would be a good book to read. It wasn't fabulous literature, but it was entertaining. Very clean - no swearing or sex. It's old, so it's probably going to hard to find, but if you're interested in an easy, quick no-brainer read, this is a good one.
Josiah Randolph
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Julie
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a reread of one of my favorite series I read as a kid. I live the adventure of Dan Storm as he escapes the Missouri mobs and lives with the Ute Indians. Always will be a favorite.
Ridge H
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storm
This is a really good book. It has a lot of action and some love sences. The story line is great and how Ike and him had to get on the steamboat and was attacked by Indians. This was a great book. I would recommend this book to everyone.
Sam Huff
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sam Huff
Mrs. Wyckhuyse
English Language Arts 9
15 December, 2016
Book Review #4
Of all the Old West books that I have ever read, the Storm Testament Series by Lee Nelson was by far my favorite. I loved this book, a descriptive 320 page story of how a young man became a mountain man, a hunter, and an indian in his lifetime. This young man braved savage natives, colossal bears, and the most extreme of conditions. This story has the richest of details and description, and completely takes the reader i
Andrea
Jan 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
My husband loved these books when he was growing up. We go to church with the author's son, so I got him a couple of Lee Nelson autographed books for Christmas, and decided I should see what was so great about them.

Well, the editing is certainly NOT great. The book is riddled with typos. It seriously makes me wonder if anyone bothered to proof it at all. Or, why after all these years when additional copies have been printed that corrections haven't been made.

The story was alright. This kid named
Jason Caldwell
I read this book many times as a child and young adult and loved it. I just finished reading it to my boys ages 8 and 10. They thoroughly enjoyed it as well. I gave them the choice have having me continue reading book two or they could choose something else for me to read to them. They want to continue with the next book. This was the first story they have ever heard (with the exception perhaps of Ender's Game) that had some very disturbing content. The story doesn't end like happy like most sto ...more
Elliot
Nov 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every chapter of this book was exciting and captivating. My wife and I read this book together, the whole thing out loud to each other. Of all the books we have read together, this one was the fastest to read because it was so fun and interesting. In this book you'll read stories about the early Mormon persecution in Missouri, Dan Storm and Ike escaping from several life threatening experiences including being hunted down with hounds chasing after them, Indian and bear attacks, etc.

Usually I rea
Stacy
Sep 16, 2009 rated it liked it
I borrowed this book from my grandmother. It is Mormon fiction, though there is no overt Mormon message in this book. The story uses the beginnings of the Mormon church as its background, but the story is really about a teenage boy's survival as he flees the fighting between Mormons and non Mormons in Missouri. He deals with slave owners and steamboat captains, trappers and fur traders (both the kind ones and the not so kind ones), and unfriendly Native Americans, and even friendly Native Americ ...more
Jackson Tobler
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 10th-grade-books
I thought this story of Dan Storm was awesome, and I could hardly put the book down (even despite the fact that I was reading it for a school assignment). Furthermore, I loved how exciting it was and how it was chalk full of suspenseful moments. One page, the main character is narrowly escaping death by grizzly bear, and the next page, he is saving a Ute Indian from drowning. Awesome.

The first-person retelling of the story sounded so historically correct, that I was fooled into thinking that thi
Aiden Lowe
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Not much can get worse than fleeing one danger only to end up in a greater danger. "The Storm Testament", by Lee Nelson, is a state of the art historical fiction book which I enjoyed. The element of setting is what makes this book truly unique, with the story taking place in the late 1800s during the time of exploring the unsettled west. The tone of the book also makes it a loving book, it escalates every chapter with mixes of surprise, sadness, joy, and horror, as read on page 165. "I had just ...more
Briauna Hollingsworth
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Western Lovers
This book is a must read for action readers. The book (not the prologue) starts out with the main character saving an Indian named Neuwafe from a river. The Indian is trapped underneath his horse and tired so he can't hold his head up to keep from drowning. The main character, Dan Storm, is rebellious, fun, and resourceful. He lives in a town and moves on to living in the wild with "Beaver George". From there he joins an Indian tribe and marries Neuwafe's sister. I might not have explained the b ...more
Lesa
Dec 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Greg
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
I read the first of Lee Nelson's books Storm Testament many years ago as a young man. I was visiting my brand new brother-in-law, and it was on his book shelf. Being the bookworm that I am, and on one of the rare occasions I found myself without adequate reading material, I spent my free moments reading this novel. It was, as some other reviewers have noted, riddled with errors, inaccurate in its historical references, and not well-researched at all. Entertaining enough when nothing else was ava ...more
Janetkc7wvy
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this series years ago when it was new. It was especially fun reading again since I met the author this fall and the possibility that some of my grandsons may read the books. The book is full of excitement and lots of adventure. Dan Storm , the main character, runs for his life back in the mid 1800s. He meets many different people who help him along and/or keep him company, then falls in love with an Indian maiden.
Wesley reay
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It a journal in the pilgrim ish time, of a boys life of meeting Indians, slaves, bears and being hunted by a slave oner because he had freed his slave. he and the slave fights in a war at around 16 but loses the fight. so he and the got away and fled to the mountains. the slave later on went to the mountains and joins some tribe. the boy to soon became apart of an indian tribe and fight other tribes and married the indian on the cover of the book. later way later becomes a mormon. :)
Whitney Christen
Oct 15, 2014 rated it liked it
I first read this book when I was a kid and I was absolutely enthralled with it. So much so, I forced my parents to drive me to Provo Utah and meet Lee Nelson. Now that I am reading it as an adult I am sorely disappointed. I forgot how much Mormon stuff Lee forced into this book, and the writing just couldn't keep my attention, I still love Lee's other books but sadly I'll never read the storm testament series ever again.
Terrie
These books (I don't remember how many books in the series, maybe 10 or so) are AWESOME! They are LDS adventure historical fiction, but nothing like Gerald Lund. I would say a much lower reading level. The book is written first person by the main character, a teenage boy, so it is pretty easy to follow. I highly recommend this book to reluctant readers or anyone who just wants a page turner that you don't have to think too much about. You don't have to be LDS to love these books.
Olea
Jun 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
After almost a decade of listening to books on CD because I simply couldn't find the time to sit and read a book with small children and too much to do (or falling asleep within five minutes of sitting down) I began this series and couldn't stop reading. They read very quickly and have a very interesting setting. I like Nelson's writing style and I think I read all the books in this series within two months.
Kristyn
Feb 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all 12+
I really liked this adventurous story. My son will love it. It sounds a lot like the Gary Paulsen books he likes so much. My problem with it was the numerous simple spelling mistakes. Didn't anyone read it before it was printed? I will definitely look for the sequels to hear the continuing story.
Marni
Read this with the kids. I really enjoyed this series when I was young, and I don't think I'll ever forget the opening story in this. I recommended it to Adam because he really loves outdoorsy stories, and he requested that we all read it together a few years later. Includes some church history and Native American info.
Eddy
Mar 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I started reading Storm Testament and was immediately hooked with the prologue of the book. However, I was disappointed to discover that the prologue was actually the best part of the book. I quickly lost interest and never was able to finish. I may revisit the series sometime in the future, to see how it ends.
Aimee
Aug 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this series so many years ago, but as a young teenage girl, I loved them! Maybe someday it would be nice to read at least the first again and see if they have the same hold on me as they did then:)
Elaina
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book. Took me longer than I thought to read this because of keeping up with kids, church callings and other things. Very good book didn't like the ending of this book but it kept you reading it. Now to the second book.
Dawn Getz
I learned much about the West, where I have lived in Utah, Wyoming, Montana and California. There was much of authentic attitude about living in the oft-times harsh wilderness. Good Book, but a little too graphic in places.
Kalee
Jan 20, 2010 rated it liked it
I haven't read these books since junior high, I think. I enjoyed the story and the difference between this historical fiction and the Work and the Glory Series, but I wouldn't say these are great works of literature. :)
Dee Anne
Apr 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
Not my favorite, but maybe it is because I am a girl. All there was one adventure after another. I missed the character development. In fact I felt that his character didn't always remain consistent.
Raymond
Mar 22, 2008 rated it liked it
A pretty good read. The writing style's really elementary so you're not likely to miss anything. A lot of action and interesting parts. It has a long list of books after it so don't expect much closure.
Melissa
Jul 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Grew up seeing this series on my Grandmother's bookshelves. So my first summer married, when we hadn't made any friends yet, I read quite of few of this series and enjoyed the adventure-a good summer time read.
Dahlene
Dec 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read this back in high school and picked it up at Deseret Industries recently along with the 2nd book. I started reading it a couple months back, but put it down to read others. I plan to read the two again soon.
  • Daniel and Nephi
  • The Bishop's Horse Race (The Soderberg Saga, #2)
  • Faith of Our Fathers: To Make Men Free (Volume Two)
  • The Miracle of Miss Willie
  • One in Thine Hand
  • The Writing on the Wall (Hearts of the Children, #1)
  • Prelude to Glory, Vol. 8: A More Perfect Union