Start by marking “Vintage Beer: Discover Specialty Beers That Improve with Age” as Want to Read:
Vintage Beer: Discover Specialty Beers That Improve with Age

Vintage Beer: Discover Specialty Beers That Improve with Age

Published March 11th 2014 by Storey Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Vintage Beer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vintage Beer

Jose
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book for those even remotely interested in cellaring beer. Dawson has written a book that is both easy to read, and extremely informative. I can see myself referring back to this book to recall things he's taught me. I could have done with a few less beer reviews, but it was nice to see.
Stephen Griffith
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very easy to read and very informative about informing you of what happens when you age a beer and why some styles are better than others to age and why some you should always drink as fresh as possible. I will continue to use this as a reference.
Lana Svitankova
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very informative, easily the best book on aging beers ever
Martin
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Covers the basics of aging and aged beers quite well, with the addition of some practical tips, suggestions and tasting notes.
Alicia
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I'll admit, when I first picked up this book I didn't know a thing about aging beer. I'm happy to say that now I know a decent amount. Aging the right kind of beer with the right environment can develop new flavors and create an entirely different experience.

This book is very approachable. I liked that the beginning starts off with a personal story of the first time the author tried an aged beer. The writing is complex enough to get the point across yet simple enough that I understood almost ev
Zachary
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read this sometime last year after picking up in Anderson's bookstore.
Very fun and informative read on beer tasting and aging or 'cellaring'.
With all of the talk within the craft beer community on cellaring beer, it was extremely interesting to note just how very few brews are indeed cellar worthy. Long story short: the vast majority of beers are meant to be enjoyed fresh.

If you are thinking about beginning to cellar your beers, this book is for you. It will ensure you know what you are doing
Tom
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
The thought of aging beer may have never crossed your mind. Dawson creates an easy to read, well thought out explanation of what styles of beer age well and others that do not. There is a guide in the back that takes you though certain beers' flavors over a 14 year period.

This book is great for craft beer drinkers who want to take their hobby to a new level. It's also good for home brewers who may want to start aging their ales (and lagers) to a new level.
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am going to be perfectly honest, before I read this book I had no idea that beer could be aged. However, after reading this book I am really considering trying this out.
This was a really interesting book about beer, and I really enjoyed it. If you are a homebrewer check this one out.

Received copy to review from NetGalley.
Toby
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pretty good read. The author does aim at the American market but refers constantly to European beers. Whilst not alienating, as a Brit, it would have been nice to be directed to beers and vintage beer bars commonly found in the UK. That's my only real criticism. The writing is great and pretty concise (if occasionally cheesy). The pictures are well chosen. Recommend for all beer lovers.
Jim Razinha
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fascinating wealth of knowledge in compact form. Lots of chemistry to retread a few times for it to sink in. A list of cellar able beers, some of which I've been unimpressed with "fresh" as well. I don't know that I'll ever have the patience to sit some beers for as long as he did - ten years! wow! The longest I've aged a beer is 18 months. Still...food for thought. Or, rather, beer for thought.
Brent Furry
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Aging beer? Isn't that the opposite of what you do with it? Well, after picking up this book, I've come to find out that about 1% of beers crafted today actually do better when aged. This is a great book for any beer aficionado!
Jason
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a low threshold must-read for any fan of craft beer with an interest in cellaring. A quick and easy read with a combination of both technical and practical insights. I have to say that I definitely acquired some useful information as a result of reading this book. Well worth your time.
Brian
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Short read but filled with great information for anyone interested in aging beer and the processes that take which make cellaring of beer worthwhile. I imagine I'll be using it as a reference for some time.
Morten
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: oel, kindle
Jeg er ikke alene! Der er heldigvis andre nørder som mig derude. Åh gud, internettet...

God og grundig bog. Nyttig viden og fif. Blev meget tørstig. Må! Have! Ølkælder!
Matt
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's the most comprehensive book on cellaring and aging beer I've ever seen. This is an absolute must read for all beer geeks, nerds, aficionados, and even the snobs among us!
Ted Child
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read my review of this book at Whats Brewing magazine. You can find it here on page 22:
John
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wanted a little more information, but what was there was good
Nicholas Aune
Jun 29, 2015 rated it liked it
A pretty cool guide to high quality aged vintage beers and aging your own beers. Dawson could have been a bit more brief in some areas and a bit more in depth in areas like sourcing and pairing.
Matthew Philips
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this short but information-filled book! Can't wait to search out some classic brews and track how they change. Cheers!
Max