Start by marking “The Wildlife-Friendly Vegetable Gardener: How to Grow Food in Harmony with Nature” as Want to Read:

Promoting a holistic ecological view, Tammi Hartung encourages you to invite wildlife into your garden. You’ll be amazed at how a variety of natural pollinators, pest predators, and soil enrichers can promote vibrant and healthy vegetables. Discover how a slug problem disappears once you’ve introduced a pond housing bullfrogs, how wasps can take care of tomato hornworms, a ...more
Published December 31st 2013 by Storey Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Wildlife-Friendly Vegetable Gardener, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wildlife-Friendly Vegetable Gardener

Start your review of The Wildlife-Friendly Vegetable Gardener: How to Grow Food in Harmony with Nature
Chrissy
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I must admit that I'm not at all a gardener -- but I *am* a lover of animals and organic foods, which is what inspired me to pick up THE WILDLIFE FRIENDLY VEGETABLE GARDENER when I had the chance to read it for review purposes. I absolutely LOVE the author's attitude and perspective when it comes to co-existing with nature, and she had loads of fantastic ideas that never would have occurred to me -- like planting certain herbs around a garden to entice certain animals, or to use bright flowers t ...more
Heather
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book may be a guide to helping gardeners coexist with wildlife, but it doesn’t read like a reference manual. It is almost like a memoir of the life of a gardener.

It is full of wonderful ideas for attracting wildlife to your garden, and living cordially with them when you succeed.

The author suggests keeping a “nature journal”. The author will sit in the garden with the journal and jot down her observations-- what she did (fertilizing, trimming, planting), what she saw, problems noted-- so s
Stephanie
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, gardening

An inclusive how-to guide on gardening with nature. As the introduction states "...this book invites you to expand your relationship with nature."

This book delves into making your home a productive animal habitat while providing food crops for yourself. With tried and true methods and advice for everything from preparing your soil to attracting pollinators and welcoming larger animals into your outdoor space. I already employ a lot of the methods discussed in the book, but I found many new thin
Kasey Cocoa
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-requested
The layout is simple and effective with plenty of information in a clearly presented format. The book provides inspiration for a well planned garden without resorting to chemicals that would harm nature. Definitely a good book to have and to read over each year.
Loton
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended

Really enjoyed reading this book with its easy to understand text and charming illustrations. Its focus is more on wildlife and how to garden and choose plants without harming wildlife instead of what vegetables to grow and where to grow them. There are several garden plans that will guide you in choosing and arranging plants that are not your typical row crop arrangements. It also does not provide growing specifics for vegetables. If you are looking for such information, this book is
Theresa Brandenburg
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
An excellent resource I’m sure to be referring to in the future as I continue to extend and edit my garden, which, from the beginning I planned to create with wildlife in mind.
I recommend this book to any gardener who is interested in gardening gently and effectively.
M.Marie.S.
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This lovely little book was nice to sit down to peruse a few evenings after work. The author's anecdotes about wildlife in her garden were adorable, as were the illustrations.
Jo
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
More of an inspiration than a how-to manual, but (or rather therefore) very enjoyable.
Stephanie
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lots of great ideas and out of the box things to try in order to live peaceably with wildlife. I loved the watercolor illustrations, and the garden designs in the back we loads of fun to look at!
Leslie
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Wildlife-Friendly Vegetable Gardener was a fun, easy read with many organic gardening tips and suggestions offering a variety of ways to live in harmony with the environment plus plenty of cute, whimsical illustrations. The author uses her years of gardening experience on her small farm, a certified wildlife and botanical sanctuary in Colorado, as a basis for the book.

The author begins by urging the gardener to observe and understand the wildlife that visit the garden, to rethink our relatio
Hannah
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations and a contagious love of nature made this a very pleasant read. Great for a novice gardener needing some guidance (aka me).
J.S.
Mar 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: gardening
I've always loved having a flower garden, but a few years ago I started growing vegetables and was quickly hooked. The problem is that I'm not the only one attracted to the edibles and I soon saw them disappearing just as they were ready to pick. Between tree rats and caterpillars and who knows what else, my garden sometimes became more frustration than relaxation, so I've been searching for ways to eliminate the pests – preferably in a safe way. And if I can attract the "flying flowers" – birds ...more
Sharon Tyler
Mar 08, 2014 rated it liked it
The Wildlife-Friendly Vegetable Gardener: How to Grow Food in Harmony with Nature by Tammi Hartung is a book that can help nature lovers understand how to make their yard and garden friendly to the wildlife around them while still maintaining a vegetable crop of their own. Co-existence
between man, animals, and the insect world is the goal here, and the book offers some great suggestions for working with nature rather than trying to tame it and trying to force it to fit our vision.

The Wildlife-Fr
Leah
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4 of 5

I knew there had to be a way to garden WITH bugs, birds, rabbits, etc. WITHOUT going medieval on said wildlife OR losing one's sanity, and this book offered great ways to do just that.

What I loved most was Tammi's obvious love of nature, gardening and wildlife - it was contagious and inspirational. She definitely walks the walk! (There's nothing worse than reading a how-to or DIY book and realizing its author probably never actually implemented the techniques they're writing about.
Sylvia Walker
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening, nature
I chose to buy this book partly for the lovely, charming illustrations. I've read several books on wildlife-friendly gardening, and was happily surprised to find lots of inspiration in this, yet another, one. I'm planning to plant a fruit-and-nuts hedge, a wall of distracting sunflowers by the veggies, some wild cherry and plum trees, perhaps a nice decoy mulberry tree by a new Montmorency cherry tree...the author's friendly tone and personal antecdotes really sparks some enthusiasm . Since the ...more
Naomi
Sep 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Read my full review: http://bit.ly/17wqYGm

My opinion: This book would probably be more applicable to the novice gardener. As my husband and I have had gardens for numerous years, the better chunk of the information had already been gleaned from numerous other magazines.

The "hand drawn" illustrations in the book were adorable. However, it probably would have been more beneficial to have photographs included of the insects and rodents, so that gardeners would be able to identify them.
Lisa
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Tammi has some great suggestions that I look forward to using in my garden. I especially like the format, with chapters divided into mini-topics. Her plan ideas in the last chapter are presented in pictures which I enjoyed looking at, but also wished for more detailed maps with plant names and sizes. But, then again, I appreciated the simplicity because it leaves the reader to use their own imagination and design based on their own yard.
Jemkagily
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've put this book on my wish list to own so I can revisit it...and I have a LOT of gardening books, so to wedge one more onto the shelf will not be easy. But this is a book worth having. Oodles of helpful hints, absolutely delightful illustrations, and drool-worthy garden design suggestions. I'll be looking for her other books, too!
Cristina Hutchinson
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a very informative book. It was very generalized in the ideas and information presented to incorporate wildlife into your gardens. I would recommend it to anyone interested in creating a more natural space that allows nature's creatures to interact with your plants, flowers, and produce. The drawings in the book were very colorful and a delight to look at.
Laura Gilfillan
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I like the idea of living at peace with the world, even if that means things aren't always as orderly and within control as we humans like. Some nice tips to try to preserve some of the harvest of a garden, and some sane remarks about the value of living with the wildlife that shares our world.
Linda
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yarding
This book got three stars for great information, another star for not being hundreds of pages and the 5th star for being beautiful! The drawings by Holly Ward Bimba are all frame-able.
Kibeth the Walker
The watercolor illustrations are outstanding.
elizabeth
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
Great book on attracting and living with wildlife in your garden. Will revisit this once we have a place with a bigger garden.
Cindy Matthews
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nicely illustrated guide full of useful tips for organic gardens. I particularly like her solution for getting rid of squirrels--hot chili pepper oil! :)
Sandie
Jun 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I appreciated her perspective on being aware of the benefits of wildlife and how to "grow food in harmony with nature". Had a lot of good advice.
Cassie
Mar 15, 2015 added it
Shelves: gardening, 2015
Sampled - check it out again
Joy
Jul 08, 2016 rated it did not like it
635 Hartung 01/2014 Paperback. Found what I needed for my tiny garden. Enjoyed the illustrations reminded me of journal notes..at first thought they were the authors. oops
Rebecca
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Beautiful illustrations, but more for a large acreage property.
Nicoal
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This has beautiful illustrations and some really good ideas.
Colleen
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
Much of what I already knew, but with the brilliant illustrations, I am glad to revisit the information with charmed, new eyes. As serendipity would have it - the Desert Canyon Farm is fairly local (a one hour drive), and just started its farm stand days! I spent two hours ogling and filling my cart with a whole host of specialty plants and two heirloom apples. Woot!

• Epic Tomatoes: How to Select and Grow the Best Varieties of All Time
  • Nature's Best Hope: A New Approach to Conservation that Starts in Your Yard
  • Hideaway
  • Fair Play: A Game-Changing Solution for When You Have Too Much to Do (And More Life to Live)
  • Attracting Beneficial Bugs to Your Garden: A Natural Approach to Pest Control
  • The Bee-Friendly Garden: Designing a Beautiful, Flower-Filled Landscape for the World's Most Prolific Pollinator
  • The Artist's Way Every Day: A Year of Creative Living
  • Pollinator Friendly Gardening: Gardening for Bees, Butterflies, and Other Pollinators
  • Daisy's Decorating Dilemma (Wild Fairies, #1)
  • Lily's Water Woes (Wild Fairies, #2)
  • Sex, Lies and Valentines (Undercover Operatives, #3)
  • You Drive Me Crazy (The Blackwells of Crystal Lake, #2)
  • A Way to Garden: A Hands-On Primer for Every Season
  • Midnight Heat
  • The First Conspiracy: The Secret Plot to Kill George Washington
  • Murder by Magic
  • Dirty Money (Roughneck Billionaires, #1)
  • Five ​Dark Fates (Three Dark Crowns, #4)
Tammi Hartung is an ethnobotanical herbalist and organic farmer with more than 40 years of experience working with plants.

She and her husband, Chris, own Desert Canyon Farm, a certified organic farm since 1996 in southern Colorado, where they grow more than 1800 varieties of plants. They grow all types of herbs, heritage and heirloom food plants, native and wildlife habitat plants, edible flowers

News & Interviews