Start by marking “The Stranger in the Mirror: A Memoir of Middle Age” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Stranger in the Mi...

Jane Shilling

The Stranger in the Mirror: A Memoir of Middle Age

3.25  ·  Rating details ·  55 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Middle age took Jane Shilling by surprise. She hadn't seen it coming, and she certainly wasn't ready for it. Living a flawed, bittersweet version of the idyll she dreamed of in her twenties, in a tumbledown urban cottage by the Thames, with a son, a cat and a horse in a livery fifty miles away, she wondered whether middle age was the beginning of the end. Or was there one ...more
Published March 31st 2011 by Vintage Digital (first published January 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Stranger in the Mirror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stranger in the Mirror

From BBC Radio 4 - Book of the Week:
Jane Shilling's reflective and enquiring memoir is told from the perspective of mid life. Today she finds similarities between the changes that accompany middle age, and her memories of adolescence.

Read by Samantha Bond.
Abridged by Julian Wilkinson.
Produced by Elizabeth Allard

Jane Shilling's memoir, The Stranger in the Mirror, views life from the perspective of mid life. In exploring her past, Jane discovers similarities between middle age and adolescence. To
Patricia
Apr 14, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Self indulgent piffle. I rarely give up on a book but this one defeated me. Very boring and blandly written. Give this one a body-swerve.
Bettie☯

Blurb from Amazon - ‘I looked in the mirror one morning, and saw the face of a stranger. Who was she, this haggard, bun-faced woman with the softening jawline, the downturned mouth, the world-weary air of a woman who hasn’t had what she wanted from life, and knows she isn’t going to get it now? Why, it was no one else but me, myself and I.’

Middle age took Jane Shilling by surprise. She hadn’t seen it coming, and she certainly wasn’t ready for it. She lives in a tumbledown urban cottage by the T
May 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite intelligent musings on middle age for women. I dip in and out of this book inbetween my preferred ficiton, the honesty is good for me.
Liz Wager
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anecdotal but beautifully written, I thoroughly enjoyed these observations on ageing, many of which resonated with my own experience. I preferred the essays to the autobiography, but overall, I enjoyed this.
Deborah J
Not convinced by this. For me it lacked sincerity, and I'm not sure why. These are after all the reflections of a middle-aged woman coming to terms with her condition and how she is perceived. I found I was getting exasperated by the musings of an Oxbridge-educated person living in a cottage in Greenwich. The development of her relationship with her son was rather touching though. Perhaps I've just had enough of books about getting older!
Joan Harthan
A memoir of middle age. Struggled on to about a third the way through, then gave up. There are some real gems and stuff I can deeply relate to, but she keeps going off at a tangent with garble and gossip, which I find irritating in real life, never mind in a book. I skipped to last page and discovered a happy ending. That decided me to ditch it.
Sarah Dale
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read from a woman grappling with middle-age. Well written, it is an honest look at some of the mixed feelings including no small amount of anger and frustration connected with ageing from a woman (and mother's) perspective.
Michele
Apr 17, 2017
Barbara
Jun 10, 2012
Annchovy
rated it did not like it
Feb 19, 2016