Start by marking “A Child's Game” as Want to Read:
A Child's Game

A Child's Game

(Karen Sharpe #3)

Friday 31 December 1999. In the early hours of the morning in a luxury central Leeds penthouse, masked intruders douse a terrified victim with petrol, set him alight and throw him burning from the fifteenth floor roof garden; a human torch. DS Pete Bains is night duty CID at Milgarth when the call comes in. The body is quickly identified as Nicholas Hanley, a wealthy local ...more
Published 2007 by Orion (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Child's Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Child's Game

Start your review of A Child's Game
Iwan Santoso
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Kita dibuat ama gemas dengan karakter-karakternya yang selalu melakukan tindakan bodoh. Padahal dikisahkan di awal mereka adalah karakter tangguh. Menyebalkan sih.
LJ
A CHILD’S GAME (Police Procedural-UK-Cont) – DNF
Connor, John – 3rd in series
Orion, 2006- Hardcover
DS Pete Baines is called in on a case where a man has been set afire and fallen/pushed/jumped from a balcony to his death. During the investigation, they cannot locate the man’s fiancée, Anna. Baines doesn’t realize that Anna is DS Karen Sharpe, who took her daughter and walked out on him several months before. Now Anna/Karen and her daughter are in the danger of their lives.
The Cats’ Mother
The third in this series, featuring the most unsympathetic heroine ever, Karen Sharpe, this picks up 18 months after the end of The Playroom. Karen has been living with Pete Bains, but for dubious reasons has gone undercover with her daughter, to infiltrate a crime syndicate. The bad guy is really nasty and there are some sickening scenes, but it was pretty gripping, so the end was a little disappointing - as with the previous books, it just stops and I guess you have to wait for the next one to ...more
Andy
Apr 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
not sure I can mark as read as I only got 50 pages in
first book in many years that I have started but not finished
just seems a mess of characters - or names anyway - can't see any redeeming feature that would cause me to continue.
so after 50 pages, I'm taking the rest of the time I would have spent on this back.
Kirsty
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
A difficult novel to get in to, mainly due to the many different names, most of which are not intrinsic to the storyline. I think there was a decent plot here somewhere, it's just a shame it was marred by bad grammar, annoying info-dumps, and the protagonist referring to herself in the third person.
Ann Tonks
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime, uk
I'd read and rather enjoyed a sequel to this novel and was looking forward to it. I simply became irritated by the violence and the superficality of the characters and it become a book I skimmed rather than read.
Carolyn
Apr 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: given-up
Acts of violence piled so high on top of one another that the whole plot collapsed into a messy heap. The narrative and characterisation was about as credible as a six dollar note. Thank heavens I only borrowed this.
Vincent Eaton
Met this author two or three times in Belgium. Finally had a chance to read one of his books. Made it to not-quite page 50. Television-level imagination without a budget. Ideas, prose and execution second, no, third-hand. I wanted to cheer on someone I barely knew.
Dar
Sep 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Not for the squeamish, a very graphic thriller. Not the usual style of book I would go for, I was intrigued though & wanted to find out the ending.
I realised partway through that it was the 3rd book in the series, & it did make me want to track down the other books. An interesting read.
Alice
Nov 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
Highly implausible thriller. The central character never became sympathetic, and the ending was sadistic.
Kel
Mar 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I started reading this but am giving it up as I am not enjoying it
David
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
This series with Karen Sharpe is a bit different and enjoyable.
Malcolm

• The Reading Group
  • Home: The Story of Everyone Who Ever Lived in Our House
  • Play Dead
  • The Summons
  • Quantum (Captain Chase #1)
  • Postscript (P.S. I Love You, #2)
  • Darkest Fear (Myron Bolitar, #7)
  • The Distant Hours
  • Live Wire (Myron Bolitar, #10)
  • Long Lost  (Myron Bolitar, #9)
  • A Death in the Dales (Kate Shackleton #7)
John Connor is the pen name of Tom Winship. John Connor recently left his job as a barrister to write full time. During the fifteen years of his legal career he prosecuted numerous homicide cases in West Yorkshire and London. He advised the police in numerous proactive drugs and organised crime operations, many involving covert activity. He now lives in Brussels with his wife and two young children.

Libra