Start by marking “Blood and Magick” as Want to Read:
Blood and Magick

Blood and Magick (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty-Hunter #3)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  387 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
"Taking out hellish creatures-not a problem. Armed with blessed silver hollow-points and the ability to manipulate magick, he's ready for anything-except betrayal he never saw coming..."Deacon Chalk knows the biggest danger in fighting monsters is becoming one. Just another day at the office for your friendly neighborhood occult bounty hunter. If keeping three helpless wer ...more
Published March 5th 2013 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Blood and Magick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood and Magick

Fangs for the Fantasy
Deacon Chalk can’t even enjoy a quiet dinner out with his friends and loved ones without witches swooping in and ruining the meal.

Witches are a pretty new one to face, especially witches as powerful of these, transforming demon witches, witches that raise the dead and witches that can kill with a word. And they have one target in mind – the Trinity, Sophia’s baby triplets. If they get them, they may have power enough to end the world.

And Deacon Chalk faces conflict in his own inner circle as peo
Beth
Decon Chalk has lost his family to monsters and magic. Now he and a mismatched group of believers are fighting for their lives and the lives of everyone around them. Hidden enemies, demons, witches, vampires, all wait in the dark for their chance to let malevolent and wicked powers rule.

This time Decon Chalk is teamed up with a government agency. Unsure who he can call friend, he relies on his core team to watch his back. Three witches have come to take the power of children, children Decon lov
Michelle Leah Olson
Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION's Pack Alpha - Michelle L. Olson:
*ARC received from NetGalley

I've been called 'a guys' girl' on more than one occasion because of my tastes... I'm a sports junkie, the more things that blow up or people that get killed during my movie choices the better, and I am constantly on the prowl for books that disturb me or are dark enough to make me chuckle evilly and mutter a proud "hell yeah!". Well, James's DEACON CHALK series delivers and then some! :)

I have loved th
FV Angela
Review originally posed at http://fictionvixen.com/review-blood-...

I turned, put my hands together, and cracked my knuckles. They popped, releasing tension along the bones of my hands. I closed them into fists just as the magick boiled over and the wall of bullet-ridden seats collapsed.

Hells to the yeah.

Time to rock and roll.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned in my journey into the Deaconverse it’s that anything can happen at anytime and no character is safe. Blood and Magick, the third book in t
Nicole
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2013/03/06/...

I’ve found in the past that I have a hard time getting into urban fantasy series with a male protagonist. I think it probably has something to do with the *usual* lack of a strong romantic sub-plot. However, when I first picked up the Deacon Chalk books, I was pleasantly surprised at just how much I enjoyed the book, the author, and the series overall.

Deacon is no stranger to the monsters that haunt the night. Since the bruta
Marlene
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally published at Reading Reality

James R. Tuck's Deaconverse is an absolutely fascinating version of urban fantasy. And so far, totally different from any other.

It's ironic that I started reading it because I was looking for something to tide me over between Dresden Files books, because Harry Dresden would not be welcome in the Deaconverse. There does not appear to be any such thing as a "good" wizard in this world. Only bad ones and dead ones. Unless later on we find out there is a differ
Julie
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received an e-copy of this book from the publishers on the condition that I write an honest review.

First things first, I haven't read the first two in this series but I'm now on a mission to find them.

I found Deacon to be just the right side of Alpha without coming across as a total Tarzan, "me say you do this, so you do this" type. I found him refreshing and also at times a little vulnerable, especially when he's remembering the family he lost.

I wasn't sure at first as to what was going on, I
Abigail
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I adore ADORE this series and was thrilled to get a review copy of the third. James R. Tuck did not let me down what so ever. I ended up re-reading the second one and though it is not necessary (Tuck does a great quick recap without tons of info dump), it made my experience even more intense.

Lately I have read a bunch of Kim Harrison female-centric UF books and usually male orientated ones leave me bored, but for some reason Tuck manages to balance just the right of compassion, action, snark and
Rachel V.
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great addition to the Deacon Chalk series! I got this as an ARC through Netgalley and Kensington Press, and I'm so glad I did. This is a series that I follow and am always waiting for the next one. Pure action from start to finish just the way I like it. This time Deacon has to save a friends kids from three murderous witches out for blood, literally. With help from his friends and kick ass girlfriend, Deacon is probably on his biggest baddest adventure yet. Lots of action with a little ...more
Shelley
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 4.0

*Full Review Shortly*

This book was gung ho and bloody right from the first page until nearly the last. Packed full of action and villains that are blood thirsty and mean to take Deacon and crew down in their wake. Sad that one of my favorite characters gets written out of the series. Damn you James how could you?!?!? James makes up for it with a very smexy scene betweeen Tiffany and Deacon. This book is a game changer in my opinion. Things are looking to become e
Mary
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mmm-2017
This is probably the last time I visit the Deacon Chalk universe. As another reviewer alluded, the writing has gotten somewhat better, there was a lot of action, but Deacon Chalk is an asshat, and gets more asshatted as the story continues.

It's tiring to read a character that is always right, no matter what, and every time he calls his girlfriend "little girl," as a Deacon ChAlk term of endearment, I want her to shoot him.
Giriniss
Sep 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Badass piece of turd. So cheap it should be printed on toilet paper and sold in rolls. Plot is from some crappy comuic book? or from turning most common wheel of plots? Guns parts are crappy also (well Monster Hunter International Series by Larry Correia did it much better). Original ideas - zero, entertainment - zero, value - below zero.
TONY
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, audio
Another great Deacon Chalk book. Sad this is the last one. It was a great adventure thank you. Hope there is more. First series read by this author. I will move on to other series from the him.
Shannon
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Too over-the-top action without enough character depth. I did like it better than the second book, but not enough to care about any of the characters or what happens next.
Katy
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of darker, male-oriented UF
Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: fans of darker, action-oriented, male-centric Urban Fantasy
Trigger Warnings: mass murder in various, gory ways, children in danger, torture

My Thoughts: So, this is the latest of the Deacon Chalk books. I'm sure there will be more, but I have no information about when or what form they will take.

I keep forgetting to mention how badly I lust over Deacon's car. I had a Ford Maverick in high school, which is essentially the same car
Laura Summers
Reviewed for www.bookchickcity.com

Deacon is back! Blood and Magick is book number 3 in Tuck’s Deacon Chalk series (if you don’t count the additional novellas), and as always within the first page you’re thrown into a serious, edge of your seat action scene. This series gives you very little time to breathe, there are just too many evil, bad guys. Witches it would seem this time.

Deacon is an occult bounty-hunter and ruthless to the point of brutal. After his family were murdered and he was saved
chucklesthescot
Deacon has always known that Sophia's cubs are different and have special magic-having a were-lion dad and were-dog mother, but he hoped that was a secret that would be kept from the wider supernatural community. When reckless actions of a friend bring the kids blood to the attention of three deadly witches, Deacon is going to have the fight of his life just trying to keep his people alive. And finding out that an occult government agency know all about him is making him even more nervous...

ARRG
Viviana Izzo
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GUEST REVIEWER:

Rating: 4.5 Stars

Paul's Review:
Picture this: you get on a roller coaster thinking it is going to be awesome but that it is only going to last for a little bit, and then it will be over. Only problem is, you are wrong on both counts…
Blood and Magick by James R. Tuck is the roller coaster ride that grabs you from minute one, pulls you along at blistering speeds, twists you in all kinds of directions, surprises you whenever you think you aren't in for a surprise, and lasts (in a very
Readsalot81
****Posted as a guest review over at paranormalhaven.com*****

Stephanie  G
As of late, I haven’t had a lot of luck reading many UF’s or PNR’s where you’re able to start midway through the series without being lost at sea when it comes to various elements within those novels. As such, James R. Tuck’s Blood and Magick comes as a welcome relief in this regard. This is book number three within the Deacon Chalk novels and it’s definitely worth checking out if you like your urban fantasy jam packed with lots of action, gore, and bizarre monsters.

The action gets started prett
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Deacon Chalk and his team must face a trio of witches who will hurt anyone who gets in the way of their plans and it is up to Deacon to stop them before they hurt too many people.

Opening Sentence: I should have known.

The Review:

Deacon Chalk has fought the occult ever since his wife and kids were killed by a psycho trying to bring a demon into our world. Now to save were-dog triplets he must face off against a trio of witches who will destroy
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
4.5

Book source ~ Many thanks to Kensington for providing a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Deacon Chalk is an Occult Bounty Hunter taking care of the monsters so they don’t eat people. When a trio of witches comes to town and wants the Blood of the Trinity, the special blood belonging to mixed shapeshifter triplets, all hell breaks loose. The triplets should never have been born with a werelion for a dad and a weredog for a mom, but there they are, weirder than all get out and appar
Ginny Lurcock
���

*opens mouth and raises one finger*

Ahhh���.

*shuts mouth and lowers finger*

���

I���m flummoxed.

Well not really flummoxed, just not quite sure how to review this title.

And really, that���s all because of gender roles.

Wait, hear me out.

See, UF stories with male leads are not the norm. And because of this every male protagonist will be compared to Dresden. Or Drezzy as I like to call him, much to my husbands eternal annoyance.

The thing is��� while the book has a similar feel to a Dresden novel, it
Darcy
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Deacon took some big hits with this book. He knows his chosen profession is a dangerous one, but for the most part everyone one comes home at the end, even if they are battered, bruised, and maimed. But even with the injuries, his friends stick by him, backing his mission.

I think it is because of those actions that it doesn't occur to Deacon to doubt his friends, he figures they are on the same side as him. He quickly learns that may not be so. Part of me was surprised by the people that potenti
Toni
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kensington-arcs
4.5 Strong Stars

What the heck just happened? Is nothing sacred? Nope, it appears not and you know what…after reading Blood and Magick, I just don’t care! All I can say is DAYUM!

This story rolls on out several months after Blood and Silver ends. In my opinion, you cannot read Blood and Magick and get the same WTH response if you don’t enjoy the two prior novels first. I can’t give an opinion on reading the novellas, but I have a feeling they would only improve the experience.

Life is calm and rela
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

"What can I say? I like guns. I'm a gun guy. Go with it, it's okay."

In Blood and Magick, the third book in James R. Tuck's series, Deacon Chalk is enjoying a quiet dinner with his lover, Tiff and friends, Kat and Larson, when the world goes to hell. The Wrath of Baphomet is in search of the Blood of the Trinity and the three witches will let nothing stand in their way.

This was my first introduction to Deacon Chalk, so I wasn't sure exactly what to expect. Starting mid way in a series isn't ideal
Kirsten
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blood and Magick by James R. Tuck is full of monsters, with a good-sized heaping of gore to round out the plot and action. While it can be difficult to jump into a series midway, the third book in the Deacon Chalk novels is both a strong novel, and can even be a good starting point, that is, if a reader doesn’t care about knowing all the background. Part of this has to do with the fact that Tuck wastes no time when it comes to getting down to the action, and it’s all downhill for Deacon Chalk, w ...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
All Things Urban Fantasy

Kristina
If you think urban fantasy should be more like a big budget action movie with explosions, gore, and a tough as nails hero then the Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter series is for you. BLOOD AND MAGICK continues the fast paced action surrounding the monster filled world Deacon Chalk lives in. As no one is safe in this series I was waiting with dreaded anticipation in every fight for some main character to die or be gruesomely disfigured. The group of witches wreaking havoc are some of the most h ...more
Shasta
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holy Mr. Rogers....the author did it again. I plowed through this book like a fat kid with a cupcake, literally. While more stuff gets blown up and a character looses a life it didn't seem to be as devastating as I had originally cringed about. With a forewarning from the author that someone was going to die, I prepared as any good reader with my trusty box of Kleenex near by. I was okay with it though, saddened, but it fit and I never mind if a character dies in order to build a better story. I ...more
  • How Beauty Loved the Beast (Tales of the Underlight, #3)
  • Hotter Than Helltown (Preternatural Affairs, #3)
  • Souls of the Damned (Kat Redding, #5)
  • The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance (Blud, #1.6)
  • The Stuff of Dreams (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • How to Seduce an Angel in 10 Days (10 Days, #3)
  • Cards & Caravans (Gaslight Chronicles, #5)
  • Claws Bared (Blood of the Pride, #2)
  • The Devil You Know (Nick Englebrecht, #1)
  • The Demon's Daughter (Demon Outlaws, #1)
  • Ghost of a Smile (Ghost Finders, #2)
  • The Chosen (The Legend Chronicles, #3)
  • Keeper of the Shadows (The Keepers: L.A. #3)
  • Under the Gun (Underworld Detection Agency, #4)
  • Sharp (Mindspace Investigations, #2)
  • Saved By The Bride (Wedding Fever, #1)
  • Dark Wolf (Spirit Wild, #1)
  • Lost Soul (Harbinger P.I., #1)
I am the author of the Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter series. Book one, BLOOD AND BULLETS, will be out from Kensington Publishing February 7, 2012.

I write DARK URBAN FANTASY. It is gritty, it is violent, it is bloody, it is DARK. The monsters are monstrous and they do Very Bad Things. The good guys are Big Damn Heroes.
I write the ultimate thrill ride in the form of a book, just for you. I wan
More about James R. Tuck...

Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty-Hunter (3 books)
  • Blood and Bullets (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #1)
  • Blood and Silver (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter, #2)