Start by marking “Gobbolino The Witch's Cat” as Want to Read:
Gobbolino The Witch's Cat

Gobbolino The Witch's Cat

(Gobbolino #1)

With his bright blue eyes and sparky magical whiskers, no one could mistake Gobbolino for a kitchen cat, but that's exactly what he longs to be. So, while his sister Sootica learns to turn mice into toads, Gobbolino sets off on a grand adventure to find a nice warm fire and a family to care for him.
Hardcover
Published October 22nd 2001 by Kingfisher Books Ltd (first published 1942)

Rose  Heartfilia
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
This book has a bright orange cover that caught my eye and was about a cat with the most amazing name. So I bought it and started to read it in the evenings during my London holiday.

Gobbolino is such a cute little thing that every setback in his adventure to find a kitchen was really sad and you wished him all the best. I am sure I would read this story again some time. Mainly because it is easy, short and funny.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I love this story of a little cat who, though born to a witch's cat, just isn't cut out to be a witch's cat like his mother and sister. All he wants is to be a kitchen cat, but Gobbolino has many adventures in his journey before he finds the place where he belongs. I like the circular nature of the tale, as Gobbolino begins his journey with the river and ends at the river. The illustrations by Paul Howard are soft pencil sketches, giving the tale an old-fashioned quality that suits it very well. ...more
Sarah Churchill
Poor little Gobbolino! A witch's kitten who wants to be good and be a nice family's kitchen cat, but never quite gets it right. This is a lovely little kid's book about fitting in and being who you want to be. I'd give Gobbolino a home any day, even if he is the most naive cat ever!
Katy Noyes
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic author, classic tale of a magic cat trying to find his place

Born to a witch's cat, Gobbolino wants nothing more than to find a home amongst the warmth and bustle of a kitchen. His heritage gives almost everyone around him reason to move him on, and his life becomes one adventure after another as yet another home becomes unwelcoming and rebuffs the kitten.

Blessed with some magic, Gobbolino is able to use this to his advantage at times, but superstition follows him
Tweedledum
I can recall little about this story, read around the age of 7, except that it was a fun read. I was a voracious reader then as now and books raced through my brain like water to the thirsty. Sadly have little excuse to re-read with no grandchildren on the horizon yet but hey, who needed an excuse ?

Ursula Moray Williams no doubt inspired many of our more well known children's authors to write about cats and magic etc etc. One could easily draw a line from Gobbolino to The Worst Witch to Harry P
Penni Russon
This was a favourite of mine as a kid. I think I tried reading this to Fred once but she wasn't interested. Una however loved it and summed up the plot to Martin "It's about a cat and he just wants to be a kitchen cat but it isn't fair because nobody understands him." A great deal of the dramatic tension of the book filters through "unfairness" which particularly resonates in a 7 year old's heart and perhaps as second-borns we could both relate to the idea of being the one who can't conform to t ...more
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Maybe if I had read this as a child I would have liked it more. Maybe. Coming to it at the age I am now, I found it repetitive and rather exasperating--the cat does nothing but cry all the time. It never occurs to him to strike out on his own, rather than letting circumstances just carry him along. He wants to be a kitchen cat, and yet he goes through town after town without actively looking for a kitchen that wants a cat. All his troubles are blamed on his birth: "Why oh why was I born a witche ...more
janetandjohn
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely children's book suitable for early readers and of course for read-aloud. This little kitten, born to a witch's cat, never quite "gets it". He doesn't want to be a witch's cat, but fate has dealt him a hand he can't quite shake off, whatever he tries. and he just wants to be an ordinary kitchen cat, with a warm place by the fire and a family to love him that he can love back. Each adventures sees him on the road again when things go wrong - so will he ever find his dream? What do you think ...more
Dan
A nice revisit to a very sweet children's book that was read to me as a child.

A lovely story that reminds us there is no harm in wanting a simple life!

A story book I'll share as it think it's a wonderful story to be read aloud on a dark stormy bedtime!
Nadhira Ramadhani
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gobbolino... A character with so much humility.. Love this story book!!!
Stacey
Sweet story about a witch’s cat who wants to be an ordinary kitchen cat, and all of his adventures on the journey to find a forever home. It’s a good read-aloud book and my kids couldn’t wait to find out where Gobbolino might end up next.
Lisa of LaCreeperie
Bei
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
The story started on a dark and cloudy night, when Gobbolino found himself the odd one out amongst witch's kittens - he had one white paw, blue (not green) eyes, and a hint of tabby on his coat. His appearance disqualified him to be a witch's cat, also his heart was too kind to be one. He wanted to be good, not bad; he wanted to be a kitchen cat. After being rejected by the crowd he was born into, he embarked on a journey to find the home he would belong. Along the way, his magic and kindness br ...more
Ceri
I decided to read this book to my kids after seeing a recommendation on a parenting website that this was a 'classic'. I never read it as a child so I thought I'd give it a go. The book begins with two kittens, born to a witch's cat. One kitten, Scootica, is black with green eyes (as is traditional for a witch's cat) wants to follow in her mother's footsteps and become apprenticed to a witch. The other kitten, Gobbolino wants to be a kitchen cat and live with a family. He doesn't look the part o ...more
Helena Spiteri
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here is my second book review and it’s about the adventures of a very cute and kind-hearted cat called Gobbolino. The story revolves around Gobbolino’s adventures, but Gobbolino is no ordinary cat, he is a witch’s cat! However, the trouble with our cat is that he does not want to be a witch’s cat. Instead, he longs to be an ordinary kitchen cat that spends his time sitting by the fire and catching mice for his mistress. Being so kind-hearted and not keen to perform spells and magic tricks, he ge ...more
Libby
Oct 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Libby by: Mum
Sherry
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a thank you gift from my sister <3.

In this book, talking animals, witchs' curses and real dragons are a common thing. I so wish the world shown in this book, where everybody loves cats (even though they can't stand witchs' cats) was real. I read this book as a child. I loved it!

Being an animal lover(Previous cat owner & current birds owner) and a mother to many of my birds I can sometimes relate about my pets to Gobbolino because I have spent many years with them and can n
T.E. Shepherd
Jul 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has been a childhood favourite of mine for years, but it is also years and years since I last read it. Michelle Harrison, the author of the 13 Treasures series, put the book to mind again when she got a new, special edition of it. I dug out my original Young Puffin edition...

I hadn't remembered much about this book, other than the title: Gobbolino The Witch's Cat, and that I loved it. After re-reading it now, I still love it. It's a gloriously comforting read, and a true fable as Gobbolino, the cat wit
Tania
quotes#585470 from my notebook ...

Night fell, and the loneliness of the forest fell on Gobbolino.
He was an easily pleased and independent little cat, but company meant a great deal to him. He did not ask for much, only the murmur of friendly voices about him, the click of a knitting-needle, the bubble of a kettle, or the hiss of a cooking-pot.
Here, deep in the forest, the trees sighed as if they, too, missed the compansionship of human beings, and Gobbolino, treading its
Mandi Ellsworth
We read this (the kids and I) for Halloween. It reminded me of "Heidi" in that, pretty much everyone encountered is kind, and willing to help out a poor soul. And everything always works out to the good... almost impossibly. So, not terribly realistic, but not bad if you have children who scare easily. It was written in the old style which assumes children, and the parents who read to them, aren't terribly intelligent.
Gentian
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My son read this to me as his bedtime story having been recommended it by a relative. It is a charming, beautiful story. The language was perfect for extending a small child's vocabulary and, although long, the book was a perfect introduction to 'self' reading.
Charlotte
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Georgia Rose Bryant
This book is amazing! I brought it in one week to school (at Infant School) and it then became a regular fixture to read Gobbolino because the teacher liked it so much!

This book IS AMAZING. You have to admit.
Polly
Extremely charming story of a witch's cat who just wants to be an ordinary kitchen cat, and has many adventures before finally getting his wish. This would be a charming family read-aloud if one had children under ten.
Riv
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2nd-of-series
Flew through this one! I'm absolutely in love! Totally recommend this, just like Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse!
Kay
Mar 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, fiction, animals
i loved this book so much when i was a kid and now, having added it to my lists makes me want to go back and read it again! Its a really sweet and lovely story about trying to find your place in the world with some nice twists and ideas.
Ashleigh
Feb 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
reay enjoyed book as i like cats and kittens was great storyline
爱心❤
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aww! I listened to this in audio and it was so cute!
Jo
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovely lovely book.
sue
Jan 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book, great read for all children and adults, I read this when i was 6 and have loved to read it often since. Such a great read.
Rowena
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Read in Primary 4 with Mrs Leslie.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Little Old Mrs. Pepperpot
  • A Bad Spell for the Worst Witch (Worst Witch, #3)
  • The Saga of Erik the Viking
  • Down The Bright Stream
  • Brer Rabbit Book
  • My Naughty Little Sister (Naughty Little Sister, #1)
  • Sophie's Snail (Sophie, #1)
  • Hairy Maclary Scattercat
  • Carbonel: The King of the Cats (Carbonel, #1)
  • Ginger
  • The Midnight Kittens (The Hundred and One Dalmatians, #3)
  • Woody, Hazel and Little Pip
  • The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark
  • Mog and Bunny
  • More Milly Molly Mandy
  • The Colossus of Rhodes (Roman Mysteries, #9)
  • Firestorm (Dinotopia, #7)
  • Cosmo and the Magic Sneeze