Start by marking “Above All: He Took the Fall and Thought of Me” as Want to Read:
Above All: He Took the Fall and Thought of Me

Above All: He Took the Fall and Thought of Me

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  109 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The worship song "Above All," performed by Michael W. Smith, went quickly from its #1 spot on radio playlists to a cherished place in hearts, homes, and worship services everywhere. Now the words that millions have been singing will bear fresh fruit as one of Christianity's most insightful and trusted authors personalizes the biblical truths in each phrase of the song.
Published April 18th 2003 by Integrity Publishers (first published March 18th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Above All, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Above All

Oceana
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75/4
A great companion to the song and the Easter season. The sacrifice of Jesus is undeserved and completely free for all of us.
Sue
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, read-2017
The focus of the book is the song of the same title. Sung by Michael W Smith, it moved Brennan Manning deeply, and he wrote this as a devotional study of the words, and the theology behind them.

The writing is inspiring and encouraging, with a few personal anecdotes and much to ponder. It reminds readers what the words of this familiar song mean, and how the love of God is, for each of us, ‘above all’.

It's a beautifully made book which would make a lovely gift, but it's very short. There are on
Thomas Holbrook
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
It is no secret that I enjoy reading Brennan Manning. His writing his clear and concise, penned with an open vulnerability that invites his readers to examine their lives for the places where they are “loved Raggamuffins.” When I found this small book in one of my discount dealers, I was excited – a book by a favorite author which I had yet to read. Reading it proved to be less than I had expected, not because of its content (it speaks to a specific topic with consistency) but because of its br ...more
Devin
May 19, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: christian
When I began this book, I didn't have high hopes for it. Now that I've finished this book, I see there is no hope at all for it. Through the whole thing, Manning toys with the idea that God loves us (and by "us," manning means everyone, not only Christians) and died to show that love, not to satisfy any wrath for sin. Indeed, Manning disqualified himself from my good graces with the following statement:

"Likewise, the god whose moods alternate between graciousness and fierce anger, the god who is
Jay Winters
Oct 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Book Closing: Well, that didn't take long - but that's ok. The 140 pages could be read in a sitting, but could also be used as the basis for a few days of devotion. This quick little read is classic Brennan - forcing you to contemplate that Jesus isn't quite in the box that you might want to put him in, but making you want to go even deeper in understanding the God whom Brennan is trying to point you to.

I would recommend this book for someone who is looking for someone looking for day-long refle
Bill Melo
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: brennan-manning
Jesus Christ, in whom the fullness of divinity dwells, is not to be boxed, tamed, defined, interred or disinterred, made plausible or comprehensible, explained or explained away, reduced to polemic, located within or beyond creation, liberated or captivated, housebroken or temple broken.

A brief that involves bits and pieces of his other works along with new....bits and pieces.
Always a 5 star!!!
Longfellow
Oct 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith-religion
As far as I know, Brennan Manning has one message: we are loved unconditionally. Once again, this is his message in Above All, which contains reflections based on the Michael W. Smith song of the same title. Somehow, for me, it is never the wrong time to be reminded of this truth. Thanks be to God.

This book is also good food for my vain pleasure in checking books off a list. It can be read in 2 hrs or less.

Emily
Apr 17, 2010 rated it it was ok
This was $.25 at McKays. It was worth reading for that, but after working at a publishing company, it was apparent that they wanted to make money off of about 20 pages worth of material, so they tied it in with a popular (at the time) song, and used some "tricks" and a ton of fillers to make it come across as a 120 page book.
Mason Kirksey
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own
I normally really enjoy Brennan Manning's work, but this was mostly a reiteration of parables with pretty pictures. It could be good for some needing encouragement or an introduction to Christ, but it was not one to expand my understanding of who God is.
Lynne
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
This brief book gives lots of food for thought. I'm still thinking about it days after finishing it.
Pat Roseman
Apr 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book takes the lyrics of one of my favorite songs (Above All by MWS) and explores the depth of Christ's love for me. I'm sure the main reason I like it so much is because the song moves me.
Les
Dec 15, 2011
Chris
Jul 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Richard Francis Xavier Manning, known as Brennan Manning (April 27, 1934 – April 12, 2013)was an American author, friar, priest, contemplative and speaker.Born and raised in Depression-era New York City, Manning finished high school, enlisted in the US Marine Corps, and fought in the Korean War. After returning to the United States, he enrolled at Saint Francis University in Loretto, Pennsylvania. ...more
More about Brennan Manning