Start by marking “Life and Death in Pompeii and Herculaneum” as Want to Read:
Life and Death in Pompeii and Herculaneum

Life and Death in Pompeii and Herculaneum

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  52 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
In AD 79, the beautiful Bay of Naples was rocked by the dramatic fiery eruption of Mount Vesuvius. Pompeii and Herculaneum--and countless nearby farms, estates, and villages--were completely buried under pumice and super-heated ash. It was arguably the most widely recognized volcanic eruption in recorded history, and the ruins it left behind are our most valuable archaeolo ...more
Published March 1st 2013 by British Museum Press

To ask other readers questions about Life and Death in Pompeii and Herculaneum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life and Death in Pompeii and Herculaneum

Kate
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Having visited Pompeii and Herculaneum just last week (largely because of the exhibition which this book accompanies), I had to read this book as soon as possible. It gave my own experience at these two incredible sites - places I have longed to visit my entire life - a great deal of context. Likewise, if you have visited the sites (or the exhibition), you will get more from the book.

It is a substantial volume and is far more than a catalogue of this summer's exhibition at the British Museum. C
Robert Tostevin
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blogged
I bought this book after going to the British Museums Pompeii exhibition in 2013, but didn't get around to start reading it until the end of 2016.

The book describes a typical Pompeiian, and by extension Roman, household room by room at the time of the eruption in 79 AD. The book largely follows the layout that was presented in that exhibition, although you don't have to have gone to the exhibition to appreciate what it describes as it gives you a plan at the start of the book.

It was a great read
Caroline Lawrence
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Extremely readable and superbly illustrated account of the last days of the cities destroyed by Vesuvius in AD 79. It's accurate, too. I went on an Andante Tour with Herculaneum expert Prof Andrew-Wallace-Hadrill in January 2013, and Paul Roberts is absolutely up-to-date with the latest theories. I'm giving two free talks for families at the British Museum in May 2013, and it's wonderful to have this fabulous resource.
Mary Warnement
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I finished this book a couple months ago, but only just returned it, not to the library but to work (a library) where I can return it to Joyce who loaned it to me. This book made me regret not visiting the exhibition at the British Museum, even though I've been to Pompeii and Herculaneum.
Mim Mckay
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
As I can't get to the exhibition this is the next best thing. This book brings Pompeii+Herculaneum alive, it serves to personalize and paint the lives of those who perished. A book to treasure, place on a coffee table and immerse oneself periodically. A truly magical hard back!
Rosemary
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I skimmed through this. Informative and beautifully laid out.
Kalliopi
Suvi
Jun 06, 2018
Lor
Apr 14, 2013
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads database.
More about Paul Roberts