Start by marking “Fortunately, the Milk” as Want to Read:
Fortunately, the Milk

Fortunately, the Milk

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  43,264 ratings  ·  6,774 reviews
"I bought the milk," said my father. "I walked out of the corner shop, and heard a noise like this: t h u m m t h u m m. I looked up and saw a huge silver disc hovering in the air above Marshall Road."

"Hullo," I said to myself. "That's not something you see every day. And then something odd happened."

Find out just how odd things get in this hilarious New York Times bestsel
Published September 17th 2013 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Fortunately, the Milk, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Paul Krueger
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Neverwhere by Neil GaimanAmerican Gods by Neil GaimanThe Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanStardust by Neil GaimanCoraline by Neil Gaiman
Best of Neil Gaiman
113 books — 473 voters
Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg SloanDoll Bones by Holly BlackNavigating Early by Clare VanderpoolEscape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris GrabensteinFlora & Ulysses by Kate DiCamillo
Newbery 2014
119 books — 485 voters

More lists with this book...

·  43,264 ratings  ·  6,774 reviews

Rachel Hamilton
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A review by my 9 y-o son, described by the utterly lovely Neil Gaiman as the 'best review ever':

Today I was sick. My mum doesn’t always believe me when I say I’m sick, but my sister was sick yesterday so Mum said I could stay off school. ‘BUT,’ she said, ‘Don’t think you’re going to be lazing around watching TV and playing on the computer all day.’

That was bad news. That is, indeed, what I was planning on doing. :(

I was bored, so Mum let me borrow her Kindle to read a book that was making her l
Jayson
(A-) 83% | Very Good
Notes: Gaiman, like a chef savant boldly tossing supposedly dissonant ingredients into a pot, makes a heck of a tasty stew.
Brendon Schrodinger
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
It was a rainy morning and I felt like reading Neil's new book 'Fortunately, the Milk'. So I popped on my favourite astronaut t-shirt and caught the bus to my local bookstore, Snuffin and Kooks. I looked high and low for Neil's book, but all that was there were stacks of Paranormal Romance as far as I could see.

"Excuse me," I said to the nearest droopy-eyed sales attendant. "Do you have Neil Gaiman's new book, 'Fortunately, the Milk'?"

She rolled her eyes so far back that I thought for a moment
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
A quirky, weird, and fun book! I wouldn't expect anything less from Neil Gaiman. :P
Alejandro
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fortunately, I read this book!

HOW MUCH FUN AN HOUR CAN BE

Quite funny, entertaining and it's a really quick read.

What else can you ask?

I did it on an hour...

...And for that hour I had such wonderful time.

In an hour I was lost in time, meeting fantastic characters and laughing.

PERFECT COLLABORATIVE TEAM

If you decide to read it, keep in mind that it's a short story oriented for children, so please, don't harm the rating of this sweet book just because you were expecting "Neil Gaiman, the gre
Kenny

Neil Gaiman’s latest book, “Fortunately The Milk” is a boisterous tale of an extraordinary adventure, time travel and milk. Gaiman’s is full of surprises, jokes and an awful lot of just being plain silly. If you can’t tell already, I loved this book.

Gaiman’s tale narrated by a boy whose mother is away on a business trip, and whose father had to go out to the corner store for a pint of milk for the cereal and his tea. Dad takes an unconscionably long time getting the milk, and when he returns, t
Patrick
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
I listened to this on audiobook during a car trip with my oldest boy, (Oot, Age 4.5).

We both really enjoyed it. Though didn't get to see the illustrations, we got to hear Neil himself reading it, and he's a very, very good narrator. If you've never heard him reading his own stuff, you're really missing out.
Miranda Reads
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
Five bucks on Gaiman throwing darts at an idea-board.

Why? Maybe cause of the time traveling dinosaurs, unicorns, wumpires and aliens.

For such a decidedly whimsical book, it was unexpectedly fabulous. Two kids are left home alone with dad for a weekend while scientist-mom is at a conference (unexpectedly great reason for mom to be gone for the week!). Only, when it comes time for breakfast...the kids discover that there's no milk for their cereal.

Their dad bravely ventures forth to pick up some
Hannah Greendale

A quirky tale of time travelling dinosaurs, blood sucking wumpires (yes, wumpires) and enthusiastic pirates, made even more amusing by an abundance of winsome illustrations.

Lisa
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, neil-gaiman
Funny! Silly! Crazy but sweet!

This is an excellent book to read aloud to 4th grade kids who are in the process of developing a sense for the absurdities of life. It is mainly about telling stories and that you can make up a great plot about anything, no matter how boring the so-called truth of every-day life is. Small things give you big ideas - and they don't have to make sense.

Fortunately, the milk was out - otherwise a couple of children would have missed out on aliens, pirates, Splod and va
Ahmed  Ejaz
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, short-stories
Milk!! I think author has a great love for milk. :)

This book is about a father who buys milk for his children. And after that, he gets trapped in a space-time continuum by aliens who wants to re-model the planet Earth and wants permission from him to do so as he is a representative of planet Earth. Lol! Father is telling his children the story of how he gets back to present-time in the whole book.

FEELINGS WHILE READING
It's a very delightful read. I enjoyed it. Really liked the adventures.
Th
Jadranka

Prava, pravcata dečija knjiga. Ako niste u stanju da se vratite u najbezbrižnije godine svog detinjstva, onda čitajte ovu knjižicu na ličnu odgovornost.
Ilustracije su fantastične, kao i uvek kada Kris Ridl umeša svoje prste u Gejmenove specijalitete.
Nisam pametna da li dam 4 ili 5 zvezdica, a ovaj smotani Goodreads još uvek nam ne da koristimo pola zvezdaje, pa neka bude 4.
*Swaroop*
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Incredible!

Mermaid with legs

Queen of the pirates

This one's a wonderfully fun and enjoyable read! Timeless tale of time!!

Neil Gaiman never disappoints.

***
"It’s important for people to tell you what side they are on and why, and whether they might be biased. A declaration of members’ interests, of a sort. So, I am going to be talking to you about reading. I’m going to tell you that libraries are important. I’m going to suggest that reading fiction, that reading for pleasure, is one of the most i
Ivan
Cooperation between Neil Gaiman and Chris Riddell always results in something special. This is children's book but it's one that brings back child in me (which to be honest isn't that deeply buried). I had wide grin through out whole reading.
Daniel
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Savrsena knjiga za malisane napisana sa puno maste i prelepim crtezima.

Preporuka.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

What happens when Mom is away at a conference and Dad is left in charge? Well, of course they run out of milk. Follow along on Dad’s remarkable expedition to retrieve more milk. His adventure is filled with hot air balloons, dinosaurs, aliens, ponies, vampires and a talking volcano???

Gaiman could write anything – I mean absolutely ANYTHING and I would read it, so when this definitely-written-for-kids children’s novel popped up on a Ga
Lesley
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Thank god for Skottie Young, his expressive and original style was the thing that kept me turning the pages. It's hard for me to say that because I want to like Neil Gaiman. And I am OBSESSED with The Graveyard Book, and I've been trying to find some other work of his to praise, but unfortunately this isn't it.
It's an okay book. The story is kinda cute, in a cutesy rambling sarcastic way. It seems forced and quickly told, like Neil was at a party telling this story and someone wrote it down and
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: ♥Rachel♥

A story can be found in every moment, step, and nook & cranny in life. Even a quick trip out for milk can turn into an adventure. Especially with Neil Gaiman around! The man has once again stolen my heart, giggles, and smile with a nonstop, swashbuckling spin through time and space with pirates, aliens, and wumpires. Come on, let go, and allow your imagination to wander around in Neil Gaiman’s head for a bit.

Our story begins in the kitchen. Two kids, with dashed hopes and dry cereal, stare
Gypsy

اینو با ستایش و بهداد و بهنام خریدم، باغ کتاب تهران. مینویسم که یادم بمونه چه روز خوبی بود کنار این آدما.

من خیلی نیل گیمن رو دوست دارم. از خوشبختانه شیر هم خوشم اومد، اما نه اونقدی که انتظارش رو داشتم! بهنظرم یه جاهایی داستان زیادی ساده گرفته شده بود. درعین اینکه یه جاهایی خندهدار بود. با کارهای دیگۀ گیمن فرق داشت اما بازم نیل گیمنطور بود. :دی من مال نشر پریانش رو خوندم، نه این یکی رو.

یه چیز ساده رو مثل قصههای قدیمی ایرانی پر و بال داده بود و سنجاق شدنش به اتفاقات بانمک و هوشمندانه بود.

چقدرم ا
Melki
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
If Bruce Springsteen had written this book, it would have gone something like this:

Got a wife and kids in Baltimore, Jack.
I went out for a ride some milk,
and I never went back.

Fortunately, he didn't write it.

Neil Gaiman did.

And so, we're treated to a magical little tale of professorial dinosaurs, pirates, piranhas, and ponies. It's a merry old time, greatly enhanced by Skottie Young's illustrations.
description

My favorite part was when it is revealed that Dad, (view spoiler)
Karl Orbell
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Right, well here I am cheating a bit - as I did not physically read this book. Neil Gaiman read it to me, in person! Chris Riddell drew pictures to help illustrate the story in the background on a screen and Lenny Henry even helped out with some of the voices. Other musicians and actresses were involved, quite a big event. (His wife, Amanda Palmer, even turned up to play her ukulele unexpectedly, with a customised version of a song tailored to sell the book. ;-)

What a magnificent evening.

The sto
Rizwan
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
হা হা হা ভালই মজা পেলাম ভিননধরমী একটা উপনযাসিকা পড়ে । বলা যায় লমবা লমবা চাপাবাজির কষেতরে আমাদের বঙগের কিংবদনতীসম লেখক পরেমেনদর মিতরকে পরায় দৌড় করিয়ে ছেড়েছেন নীল গেইমান ! এক বাবা ছেলেমেয়েদের সকালের নাসতা জনয দুধ কিনতে বের হয়ে অনেক দেরি করে ফিরেন, যদিও ছেলেমেয়ে দুজন ঠিকই আনদাজ করে নিয়েছে বাবা নিশচয়ই তার কোন পরিচিত মানুষের সাথে গলপে মজে যাওয়ায় এই দেরি হয়েছে, কিনতু তাদের বাবা শোনালেন দুধ কিনে ফেরা পথে তাঁর অতযাশচরয ঘটনাবহুল এক অযাডভেঞচারের কাহিনী, যাতে এলিয়েন-ডায়নোসর-জলদসযু-আদিবাসী-ভযামপায়ার-রাকষুসে ...more
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
I listened to the audiobook via my library's BorrowBox service!

Fortunately, The Milk is a quick middle-grade read about a Dad who goes out to buy some milk one morning and arrives back to his children a little later than they would have liked. To entertain them, he tells them a story of his adventure involving the milk. There are dinosaurs, aliens, pirates... yep, lots more strange characters and events are included. It was a fun listen and narrated well by Neil himself. I did find myself laughi
Vanja Šušnjar Čanković
Ovo je moj prvi susret s Gejmenom nakon kojeg mogu sa sigurnošću reći i početak jednog divnog prijateljstva. Moram napomenuti da nisam od onih odraslih koji imaju neutaživu potrebu da naglašavaju ono djetinje u sebi isticanjem da gledaju i uživaju u crtanim filmovima nazivajući ih animiranim. Ja sam, nažalost, bila ozbiljna i sa svojih šest i uvijek mi je nedostajalo mašte. Elem, ovo mi je predloženo od osobe koja me očigledno odlično poznaje iako se dosad nismo srele. Iz već navedenih razloga b ...more
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
This is my son's first book. ♡♡♡

He had to read it for school, and I read it with him. It was also my first Neil Gaiman book, and I wasn't very impressed with it. I cannot say it was bad or anything like that. Just not my cup of tea.

All that said, it will always hold a special place in my heart because of my son.
description
Brent
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Loved this so much.

Proving once again that its never too late to be a kid.
Paul Nelson
Well I'm forty and some loose change years of age and I never, ever thought I'd be reading children's books again. I can't even remember reading them when I was a kid but Neil Gaimans 'are but aren't reeeeaaaally' children's books are an absolute delight, so much so, that I've bought all of them. There's gentle murmurs and mutters of darkness within and Gaiman is a master wordsmith that wraps you up in his stories, and its impossible to get out until the very end.

Fortunately, the Milk sees Fathe
Jason
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We thoroughly enjoyed this, a time travel book for kids. It feels like Neil Gaiman once got himself in a bit of bother with his kids and needed an excuse to get himself out of trouble. The illustrations were wonderful, something to look at on each page, the main character looking like the author really helps. If you like books with dinosaurs, pirates, aliens, human sacrifices and time travel, then this book is for you.

PS: If you like this and want another time travel book for kids then check out
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well, that was short and entertaining :)
Mayra Sigwalt
Ameii isso aqui!! Ri alto com as coisas malucas que ele fala e é uma história que com certeza gostaria com contar pros meus filhos!
O meu é ilustrado pelo Chris Riddel, meu favorito entre os ilustradores do Neil Gaiman. Que leitura deliciosa!
Falei mais sobre esse livro e um pouco das edições Americana e Britânica (e do audiobook narrado pelo Neil) no meu video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zPtC...
Around the Year i...: Fortunately, the Milk, by Neil Gaiman 4 41 Jan 13, 2018 01:40PM
The Bee's Bookshelf: Discussion Thread 37 24 Oct 01, 2017 12:54PM
ACPL Online Book ...: Neil Gaiman! Yay! 1 5 Sep 25, 2017 08:54AM
The Bee's Bookshelf: Favorite Words 7 18 Sep 08, 2017 06:50AM
Just Me or Everyone? 16 252 Sep 11, 2016 07:44PM
Did anybody actually like it? 11 94 Sep 11, 2016 07:41PM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Castle Hangnail
  • The Story of Diva and Flea
  • Battle Bunny
  • Operation Bunny (Wings & Co, #1)
  • The Princess in Black (The Princess in Black, #1)
  • The Year of Billy Miller
  • The Cats of Tanglewood Forest (Newford, #18)
  • Ottoline and the Yellow Cat (Ottoline, #1)
  • The True Blue Scouts of Sugar Man Swamp
  • Twelve Kinds of Ice
  • Mouse Bird Snake Wolf
  • Unicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great
  • Lindbergh: The Tale of a Flying Mouse
  • Bowling Alley Bandit
  • Mr. and Mrs. Bunny—Detectives Extraordinaire! (The Bunny's #1)
  • Super Narwhal and Jelly Jolt (A Narwhal and Jelly Book #2)
  • Oliver and the Seawigs
“Spoons are excellent. Sort of like forks, only not as stabby.” 51 likes
“If the same object from two different times touches itself, one of two things will happen. Either the Universe will cease to exist. Or three remarkable dwarfs will dance through the streets with flowerpots on their heads.” 44 likes