Start by marking “Midnight Clear (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #7)” as Want to Read:
Midnight Clear (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #7)

Midnight Clear

(Callahan Garrity Mystery #7)

In this heartwarming, suspenseful, and hilarious novel, Callahan Garrity and the outrageous band of "girls" in her Atlanta cleaning crew join together during the Christmas rush to prove that her trailer-trash brother didn't kill his even trashier estranged wife.

It's a few days before Christmas, and sometime sleuth/full-time cleaning lady Callahan Garrity has things under
Published November 19th 2013 by Harper Paperbacks (first published November 12th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Clear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Clear

Start your review of Midnight Clear (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #7)
Susan
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Number 7 in a wonderful series.... on to the next.
✨Susan✨
A light murder mystery surrounded by the custody of a child. Not really a Christmas book but it was timed around the Holiday Season. A Mother-in-Law takes on the responsibility of protecting her granddaughter from her Mother, who has less than any moral compass when it comes to the welfare of her child. When the Mother is found murdered everyone involved in the sweet child's life becomes a suspect.

Callahan Garity, her aunt, is a retired PD officer and private detective so understandably she is
Trisha
Jan 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
Maybe it was starting this one so late in the series (#7 and all...) but I just did not enjoy this one. It was nice that it took place in Georgia so I recognized a few of the location. But I didn't find the characters believable or likable and I found so many pieces of the mystery to be over the top silly. I wish I'd liked it more but I don't plan to read more of this series.
Reviews May Vary
I liked it. It was fine. I think we are supposed to excuse the annoying, busy body nature of the main character because of the generally happy ending... but I don't.
Nikki
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm almost certain I read this book in its first publication under the author's other name, Kathy Hogan Trocheck. So if you, like me, have a little trouble remembering titles after 10 or more years have gone by, check before buying. However, if you haven't read the Callahan Garrity series by Trocheck, which are now being republished in paperback as by Mary Kay Andrews, you are in for a treat and I highly recommend it. All the great humor and characters you love in Andrews' books, with a little ...more
Anne Trinkle
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE this author and I LOVE Hillary Huber's amazing ability to sound like all the characters!!! I've listened to almost every book in this series and I'm never disappointed. Warning- this book does have some bad language. No explicit sex scenes. Just so you will know what to expect. I normally am offended by bad language and this series doesn't usually have a lot of it. This book deals with a lowlife brother and the language is pretty much isolated to his rants. It serves to make Jules' ...more
Erin L
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Review of the audiobook.

This is the second last book in the series and it makes me quite sad that the series is ending. The characters are great, the plots change with each book - this one involves a custody battle along with past and present murders. While sometimes you get a good idea of WHO, you don't know why so it leaves you questioning what you believe.

This is just a good, strong series of mysteries.
Trisia
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was the best of the series!
Briansmom
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
This was an odd book in some ways, but strangely, it did work. For one thing, I've never read any of the mysteries in this series so I didn't really know anything about the main character, a PI who also owns a home cleaning service (and has a cast of rather colorful employees.) Callahan, said sleuth/cleaner, is a rather deep character who is not explained in the first chapter ad nauseum (sorry, Stephanie Plum, I love you, but you are shallow and way, way over-described in chapter one of every ...more
Marsha Valance
It's a few days before Christmas and Callahan thinks for once she has things under control. Her presents are all bought, her baking is almost done, and she's relaxing with a well-earned drink when her brother, Brian--missing for over 10 years--strolls through the door, whistling off-key carols and lugging his 2-year-old daughter, Maura, in his arms. Happy as she is to see her charming brother and her ever-more-charming niece, Callahan hasn't forgotten that Brian carries trouble wherever he ...more
Susan
Back in the 90s I read all the books in this series. Or I thought I did. I just learned that the author adopted the pen name- Mary Kay Andrews- under which she writes southern-themed books- and that there were 2 more Callahan Garrett mysteries I hadnt read written under her actual name Kathy Hogan Trocheck.. This one was great, it felt wonderful to get back to Callahan and the House Mouse crew, old friends from the 90s. This was a riveting book about hunting down the killer of Callahans brothers ...more
Kimberly Whitaker
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My favorite book in the series. Callahan's youngest brother shows up out of no where with a toddler daughter in tow. He's been missing 10 years. He left after the passing of their father and had not been heard from since. Along with his return home, his mom is over the moon to meet her first granddaughter. As he is fighting his wife for visitation of his daughter, he becomes embroiled in a murder investigation. And Callahan has to find the truth with the hope of relieving their mother of ...more
Amy-Karen
Nov 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, chick-lit
Oh what a relief!! After those two awful book club books, I needed something light and fun!! This is apparently part of a series of mysteries written by Kathy Hogan Trocheck - now pen named May Kay Andrews. The series is about Callahan Garity and her crew at Mouse House - they clean houses and she stumbles across mysteries and solves them. Callahan is a strong female protag - independent, sassy, strong and mouthy. Just fun to read.

This story is about when her ner'er-do-well brother, Brian, dumps
Jill
Nov 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Until I was ready to write a review, I did not realize this book was part of a series. I thought it was just a Christmas read. That is not the case, though it does take place right before Christmas. It is a mystery, murder, blackmail, trying to solve a 10 year old murder, kidnapping, and more. Callahan, is a former police, PI, and helps run a house cleaning service. Her 'long lost' brother returns with a 3 year daughter that no one had ever known about. The story progresses from there and the ...more
Amara
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Didn't grip me. I did appreciate the treatment of the difficult issue of children and unfit mothers/parents. So tricky---for of course the child still loves the mom or dad. The mystery wasn't much, and I wasn't having much fun being with Callahan in this one. I need the humor to get me through and it was pretty sparse here.
Anne
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
I felt the last few chapters were very rushed. Just trying to finish the book. Our book club was looking for an "easy read" for December and this certainly fit the bill but I think we could have found something a bit better. Really like this author as Mary Kay Andrews but haven't enjoyed as much under this name with this character.
Janet
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun listen while doing work. Of course Callahan is into with the family for Christmas. There's a family surprise, a dead person or two and off it goes. The reading was great, I enjoy the reader except for the child's voice. She did it fine, I just did like hearing it. On to the next one and finish out the series (I think).
Sherri Robinson
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn't like it as much as the rest of the books in the series. Maybe because it was a family drama than House Mouse cozy. Sister and Baby just did walk on parts. The supporting characters of Baby, Sister, Neva Jean, Swanelle, added such a richness to the books. Edna's, my baby boy can do no wrong, got old.
Michelle Behr
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cute quick read. Funny lovable characters. Makes me want to go back to the beginning of the series and see how the characters started and how they've developed. Two plot twists near the end. One of them I had figured out, the other i didn't see coming. Overall a good fun read.
Hope
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reading
I didn't get to the see the cleaning staff in this one as much as in the others, but it was still a good book. I really like this series and I wish there were more of them.
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

Always a great story with lots of guessing. Keeps you on your toes with your nose in the book. Unsuspected ending.
Kimberly
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was the best one so far. I really love these characters and I truly felt for them through the entire story.
Lyddie
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Okay. Amusing, but frustrating. Ending too convenient.
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's my favorite in the series.
Judym
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Enjoyed this book. Unfortunately this is the last book in this series for me as I have read them all.
Jackie
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: southern, mystery
Not Michael Connelly, but a better mystery than I thought it would be. The brother was an interesting character. A surprise twist at the end.
Pat Beard
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lot darker than the earlier books.
Beth Nehme
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Its a decent book that turns out well - but I don't agree with a lot of the decisions made regarding the welfare of a child. I found that part of the plot distracting and it hampered my enjoyment.
Connie Marx
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
another good read. Never really sure wich way it will go till the very end.
Marseydoats
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't know how I got hooked on this series but Callahan Garrity is oddly compelling.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #26 - Midnight Clear 1 3 Apr 10, 2014 12:26PM

• Deep Dish
  • Christmas Bliss (Weezie and Bebe Mysteries, #4)
  • Blue Christmas (Weezie and Bebe Mysteries, #3)
  • Little Bitty Lies
  • Hissy Fit
  • Savannah Breeze (Weezie and Bebe Mysteries, #2)
  • Spring Fever
  • The Fixer Upper
  • Savannah Blues (Weezie and Bebe Mysteries, #1)
  • Save the Date
  • Hello, Summer
  • Beach Town
  • Ladies' Night
  • Summer Rental
  • The Weekenders
  • Sunset Beach
  • Change of Scene (Beach Town, #0.5)
  • The High Tide Club
aka Mary Kay Andrews

Kathy Hogan Trocheck is the author of critically acclaimed mysteries, including the Callahan Garrity mystery series. A former reporter for the Atlanta Journal Constitution, she is also the author of Little Bitty Lies and the Edgar®- and Macavity-nominated Savannah Blues, under the name Mary Kay Andrews.

Callahan Garrity Mystery (8 books)
  • Every Crooked Nanny (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #1)
  • To Live & Die in Dixie (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #2)
  • Homemade Sin (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #3)
  • Happy Never After (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #4)
  • Heart Trouble (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #5)
  • Strange Brew (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #6)
  • Irish Eyes (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #8)

News & Interviews

“You could put dollops of sour cream on top,” she” 0 likes
“Tots. Ore-Ida. Lay it out in your pan. Then you get you a pound and a half of hamburger meat. Fry that up real good, drain it on paper towels, put it back in the skillet. Mix the meat up with two cans of sloppy joe stuff, and pour that over the Tater Tots. Now you sprinkle two cups of grated cheese over the sauce. Top with two cups of crushed up Fritos. Bake it for thirty minutes and—” 0 likes