Start by marking “Case File 13: Zombie Kid” as Want to Read:
Case File 13: Zombie Kid

Case File 13: Zombie Kid

(Case File 13 #1)

For readers who like thrills with their laughs, Case File 13 is a satisfying new series that blends irreverent humor, page-turning adventure, a mysterious narrator, and the kind of authentic characters that will leave young readers convinced this story is about their own best friends.

Case File 13: Zombie Kid follows three monster-obsessed friends who must solve fiendishly
Published September 24th 2013 by HarperCollins (first published December 26th 2012)

Start your review of Case File 13: Zombie Kid
Joshua Stevenson
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the book Nick, Carter, and Angelo were getting ready for Halloween. But Nick’s Aunt Lenore died. Nick never knew his Aunt but he still had to go to her funeral. Since he have to go to her funeral he will miss his Halloween When he arrived at his Aunt Lenore house Nick thought the house was a little strange looking and the furniture was little old. While Nick in the house he goes downstairs and see some voodoo ingredients. Then he figures out his Aunt was a voodoo queen. During the funeral a ...more
Frank Cole
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Absolutely loved it! My 11 year old, who reads well but would rather do something else, gobbled this book up in 2 days. The characters remind me of great boy character movies like Super 8 and Goonies and it had the perfect mix of creepy grossness that makes for a pleasant afternoon. Easily a 5 star book.
M.L. Forman
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun book for young or not so young readers. I laughed out loud in places.
Holly
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book with my seven and four-year-old after convincing them they'd like it. But the truth is, I wanted to read it. We TRIED to read one chapter a night, but it ended up being between three to five chapters. My seven-year-old would have preferred to stay up all night to have me keep reading. This book was not only funny, spooky, and exciting, it was also really clever. I've just got to share my favorite part:

"As Angelo continued to talk, Nick thought that he'd never realized how
Heather
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full review at http://littleredreads.blogspot.com/20...

I will be the first to admit that zombie stories are usually not my cup of tea but I love J. Scott Savage as a person and an author. So when his ARC came on tour in the mail, I picked it up curious...and began to read...and read...and read. Could not put the book down! The thing caught me completely off guard with its hilarious laugh out loud moments and brilliantly crafted characters-- the "three monsterteers."

It's close to Halloween and
Scott William Taylor
Case File 13: Zombie Kid is middle grade, in the same vein as Marion Jensen's Almost Super. In fact, I thought a lot about Marion's book as I read this one. The story centers around three friends who love monsters and how one slowly becomes one. We get a description of a zombie transformation from the perspective of the zombified person, and it's amusing to consider what that would actually entail.

It was a fast read/listen. It flowed smoothly and held just enough tension and fright to pique the
Brenan
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be frank, I hate zombies and think they're the worst idea ever invented. Despite my inherent dislike of zombies, this book was still really good. The plot wasn't exactly about zombies, it just involved them, and I still really enjoyed it ^.^
Austen Gerrian
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though I did not finish the book it was a great book. The Three main charectars are teenage kids and they love holloween.But there trick or treating dreams are crushed when one of them has to go down to luisianna for 2 days.
Heather
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 9 year old and I read this together and it was a riot. Each night she looked forward to reading more... and it was a great bribe for getting her room cleaned. ZOMBIE KID is funny, clever and suspenseful--perfect reading for the middle grade audience and their parents alike.
Mindy
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing! A wonderful job done by Jeff Savage. Funny, gross, cute, and extremely enjoyable. Full review Wednesday October 17. www.minreadsandreviews.blogspot.com, www.ldswbr.com
Erica Sonzogni
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Zombies, three humorous boy best friends, and a mystery to solve. This book has it all! Case File 13, Zombie Kid involves Angelo, Nick and Carter, best friends who love monsters and Halloween. This Halloween is different though; at the last minute, Nick’s great-aunt passes away and Nick must go with his parents to the funeral in Louisiana. When in Louisiana, Nick encounters an amulet on Halloween that is cursed and brings it home. Once at home, Nick notices many changes; he begins to reek of a ...more
Brodie
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
October;Case Files 13;Scott Savage

Zombie Kid take place in a small town in Colorado where three best friends Nick,Carter and Angelo are completely fascinated with monsters. Just before Halloween of their 6th year the three boys are preparing to go Trick or Treating. They call themselves the ''Three Monsterteers'' Their mission was to fill and ENTIRE shopping cart full of candy. Little did the boys know Nick was going to have to leave because his Aunt Lenore recently died.

At the funeral Nick
Cornell Poder
This book by J. Scott Savage is about three young friends, Nick, Carter and Angelo, find themselves fighting off zombies and other scary creatures in this eerily funny story. As the boys plan there Halloween (Zombie costumes of course) Nick instead finds himself attending the funeral of his Great Aunt Lenore. While in his Aunt's rundown old house, Nick discovers what he thinks are his Aunt's voodoo supplies! Could she be a voodoo queen? One thing leads to another (Nick actually becomes a ...more
Christen R
Christen Rudenick
Zombie kid case file #13

Zombie kid was a good book. The author J. Scoot Savage wonderful job on this book. The lexile level is 720. The book is about a kid and he finds voodoo and he wears it and he starts turning into a zombie and he friends try to help him to reverse the spell that turned him into a zombie.

The theme is scary because his grandmother died and the jewel that he has around his next turned him into a zombie. He is trying to find a way to make the spell go away
Clarissa G. 5
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zombie kid ( Case File 13 # 1) is about three preteens boys, Nick, Angelo, and Carter. When Nick aunt dies he is forced to go to her funeral. He searches around and finds a strange amulet. Then something strange happens.

This book is a very adventurous, with strange twists. It has a very creative theme to it. It has some silly things that made me laugh out loud. I thought that some of background characters had more potential to make a more interesting story. Personally, I thought it was a good
Susan Allred
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg
Okay, I am NOT a horror/zombie sort of person. I was worried I'd wimp out five pages in and have to put it down.

But I found this book surprisingly entertaining. Apparently, I can do middle grade horror.

I LOVED the voice in this story. The boys sooo totally sounded like boys and I was laughing at their stupidity. The other characters were well written too. I was easily able to fall into that world and immerse myself into the story.

It'd totally recommend this book to others.
Tanvi
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
With lots of zombies and creepiness, this book is wonderful for people who like horror books, but I didn't like it. The characters weren't very interesting and didn't act very natural, the creepiness didn't make any sense and the "plot twists" weren't surprising at all. I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone except those who voodoo and zombie books.
Susan
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: susan-read
I really liked this book. I’m not much of a horror or scary book reader, but the boys’s humor broke the creepiness up enough to leave me laughing most of the time. And the characters really did act like 12-year-old boys. I was immersed in this book almost immediately. I’ll definitely read another one.
Merekara
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was SUCH an easy 5 stars! We both loved reading it and so many times I was torn between just wanting to keep reading and getting this one to sleep...GAH!
Can't wait to get our hands on the next one and our amazing library had kindly seen to making that happen... just a waiting game 'til it arrives now
Becks
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My wee man completely and utterly LOVED this!!! And what's more I really enjoyed reading it too - WINNING!!! I honestly just wanted to keep reading when it was time for lights out and food a few times haha.
Totally recommend for the smaller scare fans in your life ;)
The Brothers
Asher (11yo) read. "Really cool - makes me kinda want to be a zombie. But not for long."
Anne
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read to check out. It was quite funny and entertaining. I giggled as well as being a little creeped out or maybe grossed out would be the better word lol.
Isaac Peter
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
It was a great and interesting book,like when nick found out his aunt Lenore was a voodoo queen and nick was a zombie

Erica
Great story to read about kids turning into Zombies, all because of some jewelry.
Wayde F. Period 6
Case File 13: Zombie Kid, by J. Scott Savage. Nick and his two best friends are enthralled by monsters. Every Halloween they show off their awesome knowledge of monsters, and spend many hours designing their creative, gory costumes. They always trick-or-treat around the city but this year is different, Nick's aunt in Florida suddenly dies near Halloween. So Nick and his family go to stay at his aunt's house during the funeral. Nick finds a secret room that makes him believe his aunt is a voodoo ...more
Angela
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, audiobooks
Nick’s great-aunt has an ill-timed heart attack that forces him to accompany his parents to her funeral in New Orleans rather than trick-or-treat with his friends in the amazing zombie costumes he’d planned. He and his friends, Carter and Angelo, are monster enthusiasts, and Halloween is their favorite holiday, so Nick is beyond disappointed. This disappointment is assuaged when he discovers some mysterious bottles and books in his aunt’s house, and a forbidden trip outside leads him to a family ...more
Becca
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The days might be getting warmer, but for anyone who wants to savor the winter chill, here is the perfect book to keep you tucked up tight under the covers (with all the lights on, of course). J. Scott Savage’s Case File 13: Zombie Kid.

Our story begins with the worst kind of news: Nick is going to miss Halloween this year. That means the other two Monsterteers—Carter and Angelo, Nick’s monster-loving best friends—will have to carry on without him. Hopefully they’ll save him some candy (although,
Ms. Yingling
Case File 13: Zombie KidSavage, J. Scott. Case File 13: Zombie Kid

26 December 2012, HarperCollins

Nick is devastated when he and friends Carter and Angelo can't go trick or treating in their awesome zombie costumes because a great aunt that Nick has never heard of has died. Nick has to travel to his aunt's creepy old house near New Orleans instead, because his parents claim that his aunt had some "connection" to him. Nick suspects that his aunt might have been involved in some voodoo because of
Taffy
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
You hold in your hands a very dangerous record.

I have collected every side of the story and every piece of evidence on case number 13. Now, in this file, you will find all you need to follow the dark adventures of Nick, Carter, and Angelo, three boys who possess an unhealthy obsession with monsters, in a town so grisly, so horrific—

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You're telling it all wrong, dude. You make it sound like it's a scary story.

Ahem. Well, Nick, it is a scary story. In this volume alone, there are
Kami
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
- This was a really fun and humorous book! I thoroughly enjoyed it!

- Why are the hands only on the Ms and Ws in the chapter descriptions? I know this is really random, but I just happened to notice, and I was curious.

- I liked the chapter titles. They were funny. In response to a couple of them: After reading Chapter 8, I'm still a dog person. I read Chapter 9 right before bed (around 10:30 PM), and I was ok.

- Old man Dashner huh? Is that a coincidence or a bit a of a cameo? No wonder James
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Last Wild
  • Here, There Be Dragons (Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #1)
  • The Accidental Afterlife of Thomas Marsden
  • Lethal Pursuit (Barker & Llewelyn, #11)
  • The Dark Wild
  • Island of Silence (Unwanteds, #2)
  • The Unwanteds (Unwanteds, #1)
  • Borderline (The Arcadia Project, #1)
  • Over to You: Ten Stories of Flyers and Flying
  • Island of Fire  (Unwanteds, #3)
  • Phantom Pains (The Arcadia Project, #2)
  • 33 Revolutions
  • Whetū Toa and the Magician
  • Impostor Syndrome (The Arcadia Project, #3)
  • Zero G, (The Zero Chronicles #1)
  • A Lady in the Smoke: A Victorian Mystery
  • Tangerine
  • Klawde: Evil Alien Warlord Cat #1
J. Scott Savage is the author of the Farworld series, the Case File 13 series, and the Mysteries of Cove series. He grew up in Northern California and now lives in Utah with his wife and four children.

Scott has held too many jobs to count, including: a mall Santa, French chef, CEO of a dot com, plumber, radio station talk show host, and the guy who sits in the little photo developing booth. He has

Case File 13 (4 books)
  • Making the Team (Case File 13, #2)
  • Evil Twins (Case File 13, #3)
  • Curse of the Mummy's Uncle (Case File 13, #4)