Start by marking “The Spook's Bestiary: The Guide to Creatures of the Dark (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles)” as Want to Read:

The Spook's Bestiary: The Guide to Creatures of the Dark

(The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles #supplement book to the series )

"My name is John Gregory. What follows is my Bestiary - my personal account of the denizens of the dark I've encountered, together with the lessons I have learned and the mistakes I have made. I have held nothing back, and my hope is that the spook who follows me will continue to keep this record of the practical ways in which we deal with the dark."

A companion title to th
Published December 23rd 2014 by Greenwillow Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Spook's Bestiary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spook's Bestiary

Start your review of The Spook's Bestiary: The Guide to Creatures of the Dark (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles)
Evgeny
Feb 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This fictional book was mentioned in practically all of the installments of the main series. Now you can read it. As the title says it is a Bestiality: notes on all the monsters the Spook and his colleagues had to face in their line of work. For them knowledge is the power, so the Spook and his apprentices keep this book updated. As such it is full of short stories about some of his dealings with different monsters; these were only briefly mentioned in the main plotline.

The only reason I read th
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Book defines the ghouls depicted in The Last Apprentice series. Do not read before the series, however, as the storylines detailed within the pages will not make sense to you without having read Tom and Alice's adventures. A must to say that you read the entire collection
Miranda Reads
Okay. Love the idea. But the paperback had grey pages. It was hard to read.

Review to come.

YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Snapchat @miranda.reads

Happy Reading!
Joseph Gagnon

To the Reader

This is both my chance to catch up, and learn some more about the world of the Spook stories before diving into the next Tom Ward book. I just finished "I Am Grimalkin" and it was alright. It could have been better. I do feel like this series has become a bit stretched, but I do love the world so that I only mind a little. There are still flashes of the brilliance that brought me into this series so ... I'll take what I can get.

I don't expect to have many notes for this kind of boo
Larissa
Jan 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This is John Gregory's guide to The Dark and all the creatures whom dwell within it. Some creatures you will have heard of, you may even have had your own dealings with the likes of boggarts, ghasts and witches. Other creatures you may be learning about for the first time such as boogles, Kabalos mages and skelts. Regardless of their notoriety and level of threat to the County all beings of the dark should he handled without fear, with knowledge and always using common sense.

Not everyone can be
Glenn
Jan 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointed with this book overall, loved the stories but not much else...
Sarah Spelbring
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Just as an FYI this book is not technically part of The Last Apprentice series, but a supplementary book. If you're familiar with Terry Pratchett's Discworld Series, this would be like one of the "map" books or Nanny Ogg's Cookbook.

Also important, I am a fan of the TV series, Supernatural.

With all that out of the way...this read a bit like John Winchester's journal. It's a compendium of all the creatures that are kept at bay by a Spook (Hunter/Sam and Dean?) in County. It includes examples of t
Júlia Fé
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for those who love the Spook's series and want to learn a bit more about the world in which the books take place!

There are descriptions of the creatures shown in the books and some others we didn't yet see. There are also some annotations by characters of the books and some really good stories to expand the main story, like how the spook managed to end up with an ogre in his own house! A very nice read.
James
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good catalog of ghastly ghouls with powerful images and lots of nods to various mythology. I received the book as a gift and, while not familiar with the series prior to it, if this is indicative of it, I'll probably give them a shot. Pulls heavily from various myths of old and new gods, folklore, etc. but is effective due to solid visuals.
Nick Rijnsaard
Wow, really fun to get back into the world of the Wardstone Chronicles. In this small book you finally see the book that Master Gregory wrote for his students. It is full of beauteful illustrations and fun short-stories.

Rating: 8/10
Holly
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Explanation of creatures

The Bestiary is referenced throughout the Last Apprentice series. This book provides an explanation of the various creatures that the Spooks during their adventures.
Scott Whitney
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice reminder of the series I loved while I was reading it.
Ishaal Ramroop
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this isn't a story rather a guide/index to the creatures mentioned in The Last Apprentice series, I did enjoy it quite a lot really
K.D. Bissonette
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like the series of books.
Chad Olson
Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Details and notes of the various creatures of the dark
Stefka
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I usually don't care much for "companion" books, but I got this to add to my collection and read it after book 13. I really enjoyed it and would love a even bigger version of it.
Ken
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Spook's Bestiary is John Gregory's guide to the dark. It is a must read for any spook apprentice and to my surprise an astonishingly good read.

If you are familiar with the Wardstone Chronicles, then surely you would be familiar with the Spook's Bestiary which was mentioned quite a few times within the series. Upon finishing it, I was blown away. The book gives so much details on the dark. From binding boggarts, witches, to introducing the old gods to so much more. This book is just full of
Mrs. Corriston Corriston
I loved this book, it’s the perfect guide to help understand the series more and why John Gregory acted so… I believe it’s best to give this book a rating of 4 ½. Not five because it’s nearly IMPOSSIBLE for me to get totally involved with a book (That doesn’t mean I didn’t have my head in the story all day). Be careful, this book is meant to be read AFTER you have read the ENTIRE series. It might confuse you if you haven’t.
The format of this book is your old fashioned guide of survival. It has
Eden
This is the bestiary mentioned throughout The Last Apprentice series. It contains information about many creatures of the dark and some ways to deal with them.

There were also some stories about the Spook and some of the creatures he had bound, or gotten rid of. I liked finding out how the Spook got the boggart as well.

It's not a main entry in the series, but I thought it was a great read. The bestiary is the book Tom reads from a lot and now fans have a chance to read it as well. I think that is
Christian
I continue to enjoy Delaney's work. The bestiary is a nice addition to the canon. It fleshes out the creatures from the series and provides some context to their behavior and history. It's also nice to get the additional voices of previous apprentices through the footnotes.

My one hope is that this indicates that the series will continue on. I wasn't sure following the conclusion of the last novel, but there are creatures in the bestiary that haven't been seen yet. (I'm not sure if they've been
Sean
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, horror
Another great book in the Spooks series by Joseph Delaney. This is an additional book and not part of the main story, it is a catalogue describing all the creatures that John Gregory and his apprentice Tom Ward have to face during their adventures fighting the Dark. There are some great little bits of back story and it's all illustrated by the awesome Julek Heller. My only criticism of this book is that it should have been printed on better quality paper and maybe in a larger format to maximise ...more
Nathan Miller
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nathan by: No one
The Spook's Bestiary is an ok book. It wasn't exactly what I thought it was going to be, but it was still was ok. It is a book describing the monsters throughout The Spook's Apprentince, known as The Last Apprentice in the United States. It had short stories every so often about one of the spook's encountering one of the beasts. The whole short story part of the book was the main reason I kept reading. I would only recommend this book to people who like books with more than one subject in them.
Nicole
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Spook's Beastiary is a nice companion book to The Last Apprentice series. It had nice definitions for all the creatures of the dark along with pictures. My favorite part was the quotes at the end of each chapter from The Spook, Tom, and various apprentices. I also enjoyed seeing the way beings from the dark were classified by someone besides Tom. The added chapter at the end about unknown beings from the dark was a nice bonus and while I would like to know what the dark beings were the myste ...more
Gustavo
This book is the journal (aka "bestiary") maintained by the Spook. Therefore, it is supposed to be written in the voice of the Spook (John Gregory), which reads different than the voice of Tom Ward.
Honestly, I was disappointed by the book overall, finding it hard to simply skip entire pages. It reads as dry as I imagine reading an encyclopedia would feel, and it didn't hold my interest for long, so I had to read it in many short sittings. This is so different to how I devoured through the serie
Cindy
Wonderful companion volume to the series The Last Apprentice - this is the only book left in the Spook's library after his house at Chippenden burns down. It's full to the brim with stories about the creatures and people of the Dark that the Spook has faced in his long career keeping the County safe from denizens of the Dark. Great illustrations throughout!
Luke Cummins
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it sooooo much. It wasn't exactly what I expected but that's not a bad thing! The pictures were amazing as well as the information it gives. I highly recommend this to any fan of the Spook's (The Last Apprentice) series or those who want to start it and are a bit confused. A really good read. I read it in a day!
Ryan McCarthy
Maybe I'm just tired of this series, but god damn am I glad I'm done reading this. Yet another unnecessary addition to an already protracted series that my completionist tendencies wouldn't let me skip. Delaney straight up lifted passages from his other books to make some of these encyclopedia entries. Lazy and uninspired. It's a shame, because I really did enjoy this series overall.
Roy
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really fun one! If you are trying to build a collection of the series you definitely need this book in the collection. I think Mr. Delaney must pretty well have the whole series figured out based upon some of the contents of this book.
Sam
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Delany. But, if you haven't read the whole series the book may contain some spoilers. It also can get a little long. However, all in all still another good addition to the series.
Fidencio Ramirez
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book because it is about one of the seven sons.The son goes on adventures killing bad spirits and creatures.The son talks and describes all the creatures had to fight against witches,demons,swamp people and so much other i cant remember what there name is.

• Il Capitolo Segreto (Unika, #3)
  • A Ilha dos Rebeldes (Ulysses Moore, #16)
  • Polskie Archiwum X
  • L'ultima porta (Unika, #2)
  • Piraci z Karaibów
  • The Demonologist
  • Notes on the Cuff and Other Stories
  • Days of the Turbins
  • The Crimson Island
  • Morphine
  • Waterfall (Teardrop, #2)
  • Path of Stars (Warriors: Dawn of the Clans, #6)
  • Warriors: Enter the Clans (Warriors Field Guide #5)
  • Tallstar's Revenge (Warriors Super Edition, #6)
  • Path of a Warrior (Warriors Novellas, #13-15)
  • Mercury: An Intimate Biography of Freddie Mercury
  • Earthbound (Earthbound, #1)
  • Pamięć krwi
Joseph Delaney is a full time writer living in Lancashire, in the heart of Boggart territory.
He is the author of Wardstone Chronicles, Starblade Chronicles, Arena 13 and Aberrations. He has a new book out in April 2020: Brother Wulf is a new spooks story featuring Tom and Alice, but introducing a new character, a young monk called Brother Wulf.

He first got the idea for the Spooks series when he m

The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Revenge of the Witch (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #1)
  • Curse of the Bane (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #2)
  • Night of the Soul Stealer (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #3)
  • Attack of the Fiend (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #4)
  • The Spook's Mistake (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #5)
  • The Spook's Sacrifice (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #6)
  • Rise of the Huntress (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #7)
  • Rage of the Fallen (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #8)
  • I Am Grimalkin (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #9)
  • The Spook's Blood (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #10)

News & Interviews