Start by marking “Undressing Mr. Darcy” as Want to Read:
Undressing Mr. Darcy

Undressing Mr. Darcy

Taking it off in the name of history…

Thirty-five-year-old American social media master Vanessa Roberts lives her thoroughly modern life with aplomb. So when her elderly Jane Austen–centric aunt needs her to take on the public relations for Julian Chancellor, a very private man from England who’s written a book called My Year as Mr. Darcy, Vanessa agrees. But she’s not “exc
Published December 3rd 2013 by Berkley (first published October 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Undressing Mr. Darcy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Undressing Mr. Darcy

Holly
Jun 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013
I was more annoyed with this book than anything. Several times I just wanted to stop reading but I kept going in the hopes that it would get better. It started off ok but the characters just drove me crazy. The only character that was decent was Chase. Vanessa was raised by her aunt who loves Jane Austen. Vanessa hates all things Austen--never read the books, didn't watch the movies, etc. But upon doing PR work for an Englishman who's acting like Mr. Darcy to promote his book, she falls for him ...more
meghann
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
I am raging so hard right now.

Gollum raging photo tumblr_m55p4wuZP51qf1aoao1_500.gif

I bought this book on a whim while waiting in line at the bookstore. This is almost always a mistake. Why do I do this? Because one of my favorite books of all time was purchased on a whim, and I keep chasing that high.

I glimpsed this book on goodreads after buying it, but was still optimistic despite the low reviews. And I enjoyed the first half of it. Sure, it had some cheesy moments, but it made me laugh. And I liked Vanessa and Julian. Then the story shifted
Elle
Dec 31, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've always hated chick lit/romance novels, but, hey, I'll give just about any book a shot.

Verdict: I still loathe chick lit/romance novels. Sorry, Ms. Doornebos! :[ I'm sure it's an all right book for fans of the genre. I was tempted to add a star for the sort of unique set-up and the trip around Bath/London, but when there are paragraphs like this in there:
She slipped off her leopard-print thong, twirled it around on her index finger, and flung it across the room, where it landed on Colin's h
Ashley Russell
Jan 01, 2014 rated it did not like it
Terrible. Absolutely terrible. By page 5, the author had used two hashtags. Seriously? This book is an insult to trashy romance novels.
Vânia Nunes
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it
With so many books about Jane Austen in my kindle, and since this year is the bicentenary of the author's death, I decided to read some of the books that bring her famous characters.

Vanessa Roberts - Unlike Me - HATES Jane Austen. But her aunt loves her, and asks her to use her expertise to help an author who is releasing a book about the most famous character of the British author, Mr Darcy.

Behold, Vanessa and Julian Chancellor, the author himself, have a good connection. But he was British and
 Gigi Ann
Jan 01, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Thirty-five-year-old American social media master Vanessa Roberts lives her thoroughly modern life with aplomb. So when her elderly Jane Austen eccentric aunt needs her to take on the public relations for Julian Chancellor, a very private man from England who’s written a book called My Year as Mr. Darcy, Vanessa agrees. But she’s not excessively diverted,” as Jane Austen would say.

Hardbound books, teacups, and quill pens fly in the face of her e-reader, coffee, and smartphone….

…Until she sees Ju
Chelsey Wolford
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was just the taste of Jane Austen I needed to bring in the New Year! I wouldn’t consider myself a rabid Janeite, much like Vanessa’s aunt in this story, but I do love reading a good Jane Austen retelling every once in a while. Of course this is a modern retelling with a few added twists, and what I enjoyed most was the walk through Jane’s life as our heroine, Vanessa Roberts, visits London! Vanessa’s Jane Austen-centric aunt has asked her to take on the public relations for Julian Chancello ...more
Megan
Jun 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shortly after I read and greatly enjoyed Ms. Doornebos' first book, I had the privilege of meeting her at the author signing at the JASNA AGM in Fort Worth in 2011. She was very lovely and generous with her time. So when I saw she had another book coming out, I preordered it. I think it's as wonderful as the first. The story is a contemporary but incorporates so much Austen and Janeite love into it, it is a treat for anyone who loves Austen novels and England. To add to this it is funny - the tr ...more
Emily S.
After thoroughly enjoying Definitely Not Mr. Darcy, I was excited for this book. Let's just say that it was a huge and very annoying disappointment.

Immature characters with absolutely no believable growth made me want to vomit. I only finished so that I could count it towards my Austen-inspired challenge. Really, it's an insult to Austen.
Cyndi
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
While I ardently admire and love Jane Austen’s books, I could never really call myself a Janeite. I’ve never been to an Austen conference and have no desire to dress up in Regency garb. That said, I really enjoyed Undressing Mr. Darcy and I imagine proper Janeites will positively adore it.
Kathleen Crowell
Jan 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
couldn't finish. got to around page 145. tedious, not romantic, annoying costumes and boring setting. Julian was a drip and Chase dressed as a pirate did nothing for me. sorry.
Maria
Feb 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ipad-mttbr, e-book
I'm open minded to read anything but this... this was shoddy, poorly written, unrealistic and the use of hash tags in both social and real life moments of the main character was annoying.

I'm a fan of reading an author's interpretation of Austen's characters so I hoped to have liked this but after a few pages in, in which I couldn't get past the hastags I thought maybe there's more. I've read other books that started bad/ slow and were redeemed...but I got the end and was very clearly wrong.

Kim
With much of today's media so dominated by all things electronic and instant, it's sometimes interesting to think of the ever-growing differences in technology between Austen's era and today.  A clash between these two worlds is the subject of Karen Doornebos's latest work, Undressing Mr. Darcy.  I'm no stranger to Doornebos, having read Definitely Not Mr. Darcy previously and was eager to see how she tackled this interesting subject.

From Goodreads:
Thirty-five-year-old American social media mas
Christina
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
From my review at Austenprose.com

With a title like "Undressing Mr. Darcy", author Karen Doornebos’ new release is sure to turn a few heads this holiday season. "Sex sells, even to smart, liberated women, and Mr. Darcy was the smart girl’s pinup boy." p.7 And like the novel’s master PR rep, who has turned tweeting into an #artform, Doornebos has carefully crafted another contemporary romance novel about an ambitious, highly energized, very modern woman who meets a charming Mr. Darcy re-enactor su
Lemongirl15
Nov 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: funny, first-reads
I received this book as part of the First Reads program, thanks to author Karen Doornebos for sending it to me! As a long-time Austen fan who re-reads parts of my favorite Austen books every year, and owns most of the movies on DVD, this book was right up my alley. I don't care for all the "Pride & Prejudice with Zombies" kind of books, but this one is more of a light romance, and it is fun (and doesn't involve any zombies, vampires, or any other supernatural additions! Hooray!).

I enjoyed t
Dee
Dec 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
For me, this book was nothing but tedious. If you are into chick lit, which I'm not, you might really enjoy it. If you are a Jane Austen fan, you might like it. The setting - in and around Jane Austen festivals in the U.S. and England - is good and unique. Unfortunately, the book was recommended to me as literary fiction. But involving Jane Austen does not make it literary fiction.

I found the main character, Vanessa, extremely tiring and entirely self-involved. It took interest in a man for her
Kat
Apr 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
I wish I had read the one star reviews on here before purchasing this book on a whim, because I agree with all of them. First of all, I am an Austen fan, and I also read (and typically enjoy) all kinds of books, including "trashy" romance novels. So it's not as if this wasn't my kind of book. It was just that this book was so terrible that I felt cheated out of the time I wasted reading it.

The writing was choppy, there was no real flow to the story. The beginning of the book was lukewarm, but i
Lia Marcoux
Apr 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
This was a shoddily constructed, hastily told non-story populated entirely by non-characters. Listing traits is not the same as building character (and changing your main character in the middle, entirely off-screen, doesn't help); lazily describing a sequence of events is not telling a story; and as always, sexual harassment is not romance. This is told so perfunctorily - you could lose any given 30 pages and replace them with one of Doornebos's poorly-considered single-sentence pieces of expos ...more
Lauren
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
The first half of this book wasn't awful. But then I realized the inconsistencies of all of the characters. Especially the main character, she had the morality of a tramp but the the emotional maturity of a pubescent teenager. In the first half of the book, she was portrayed as a cut-throat PR exec, and in the second half, she was a whiny, insecure mess. Jane Austen wouldn't have that kind of an effect on someone.

Besides, the lack of developed, like-able characters, this book could also have us
Sonja
May 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
I thought I would like this book. I did hang on until the end hoping that it woe turn around and I would like it. It didn't. It was very rambling and far too long of a time frame to keep me engaged. The sex scenes, although short, were far to descriptive for my comfort, and I don't believe I am prudish. They did practice safe sex, to an extent, but that leads me to think, "Do single people really carry condoms around just in case they get a chance to have sex?" I did learn a lot about Jane Auste ...more
Andrea
Apr 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book is horrible. I've never read anything by this author, and chances are that I won't again. It was a struggle trying to finish this one. It was simply boring. Though I'm not a Pride and Prejudice or a Jane Austen fan, I've read novels based on her work before and enjoyed them. The writing was ridiculously bad. The main character had zero personality and being inside her head made me feel like I was losing IQ points. How dense can one person be? And why was there so much description about ...more
Laurie
Nov 20, 2013 rated it liked it
A fun contemporary romp with and for Jane Austen fans. Just enough pop culture, social-media-PR-insider action, and steamy Darcy-driven romance to keep adult Anglophiles and hipsters alike entertained from cover to cover. Doornebos makes the most of Chicago, London, and Bath settings to appeal to armchair travelers too. This novel may bring many a subtle smile as readers familiar with Austen's work delight in the unfurling of a plot reminiscent of the revered author's own devices. Be warned, tho ...more
Danielle
I would give this 3.5 stars. One reason is because Vanessa seemed to go from hating Austen (because of an issue with her parents) and then overnight being a major Austen lover, it did not seem like it was a smooth change. And there were some sex scenes in it that did not add to the story at all, and to end with one was poor taste in my opinion. It is not a bad book but not one that I will read again and it makes me skeptical about reading any future books which is sad because I loved her "Defini ...more
Alix West
I wish I could give this book zero stars. Completely unreadable. The protagonist is a complete monster, and there is a total absence of any cohesive narrative. The only thing more implausible than the romance in this novel is the fact that someone agreed to publish this trash in the first place.

I couldn't even finish, but I reviewed the first eleven chapters at Cut Rate Austen.
Lisanne
Jan 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: austen
Most fanfiction is better written than this and has a somewhat more believable and not entirely cliche plot. Seriously. Also, it is not really necessary to emphasize what kind of underwear this book's 'heroine' prefers. We get it after one time. No need to put it on plastic Colin Firth-Darcy's head either (I'm not making this up).
Caroline
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
The title sounds a bit tacky but surely is fitting for the content of this Pride and Prejudice inspired read. I did enjoy it. There were a few very nice passages and you will likely want to book a trip to Bath and try to find back all the places that are mentioned in this book. I guess that not all men dressed Regency style can stand the test of time.
Valerie
Jan 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book, but....It didn't flow well, the writing was choppy, I never got invested in the character. I did finish the book to see how it played out. I do really like the cover. I do plan on reading her other book but not for awhile.
Sara Jo
Nov 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
The first half of the book was interesting, but just before the trip across the pond, it began to deteriorate very rapidly. It was so bloody boring after that and was just an eyesore. If you're a Jane Austen fan, do NOT read this book.
Amy
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
2 stars because I liked it until it got to the England part. After that, I couldn't stand the main character. She's in her mid 30's, but all of a sudden acts like an annoying 13 year old. I couldn't take it! I wanted to smack her.I'm getting annoyed just thinking about how lame she became. Ugh.
Ali
Feb 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
Where was the editor on this one? There were a few cute sections, but some completely random and cheesy parts that came way out of nowhere- especially towards the end. The continuity was all over the place and the characters were often caricatures.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 14, 2015 02:07PM

• All My Tomorrows
  • A Walk in the Meadows at Rosings Park
  • Mr. Darcy Forever (Austen Addicts #3)
  • Austensibly Ordinary
  • Compulsively Mr. Darcy
  • Mr Darcy’s Guide to Courtship: The Secrets of Seduction from Jane Austen’s Most Eligible Bachelor
  • Mr. Darcy’s Noble Connections
  • The Dashwood Sisters Tell All: A Modern-Day Novel of Jane Austen
  • The Future Mrs. Darcy (Given Good Principles, #2)
  • Perfect Fit: A Modern Tale of Pride And Prejudice
  • Christmas Cheer (Holidays With Jane #1)
  • Steampunk Darcy
  • Bewitched, Body and Soul: Miss Elizabeth Bennet
  • The Trials of the Honorable F. Darcy
  • Pemberley Ranch
  • Affinity and Affection
  • My BFF
Karen Doornebos is the author of UNDRESSING MR. DARCY published by Berkley, Penguin. Her first novel, DEFINITELY NOT MR. DARCY, has been published in three countries.

She lived and worked in London for a short time, but is now happy just being a lifelong member of the Jane Austen Society of North America and living in the Chicagoland area with her husband, two teenagers and various pets, including
“Maybe she needed more library time in her life. More hushed time among rows of books waiting to be accidently discovered, rather than deliberately seeking one title or another, clicking to order, and moving on. Serendipity.” 3 likes
“Everybody needs a little Mr. Darcy in their lives.” 2 likes