Start by marking “The Counterfeit Mistress (Fairbourne Quartet, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Counterfeit Mistress (Fairbourne Quartet, #3)

The Counterfeit Mistress (Fairbourne Quartet #3)

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  543 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
A refugee from the war in France, Marielle Lyon has established herself at the fringes of London society and welcomes the gossip that she is a s py. The more eyes watching her, the better protected she is -- and the better her chances are at saving her father's life. A warrior at heart, Gavin Norwood, Viscount Kendale, would still be in uniform if not for his older brother ...more
Published September 24th 2013 by Jove

To ask other readers questions about The Counterfeit Mistress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Counterfeit Mistress

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

4 solid stars for this new-to-me author!

Madeline Hunter is a name I see popping up all over the Historical Romance genre, and always in a favorable light. I hadn’t taken the time to really look into her books – “so many books, so little time” and all that rot – but when I was given this book for review, I really had no choice but to dive in. And oh, how very happy I am that I did!!

The Story:

With nothing in mind but saving her father's life, Marielle Lyon doesn't just welcome her reputation as a
Mary C. *Nulla in mundo pax sincera*
Originally posted on Buried Under Romance book blog

Marielle Lyon is a French émigré with secrets – secrets that make Gavin Norwood, Viscount Kendale, suspect her of being a spy for the French. Marielle has been playing a game of cat-and-mouse with her Gavin, whom she dubs Handsome Stupid Man, not knowing he might actually be the cat in their game.

Kendale is a man unlike many of his aristocratic peers. His years in the military instilled in him lasting independence and discipline, along with the
Keri
May 02, 2016 Keri rated it really liked it
I liked this one and it really worked for me. The book had a longer feel to it and Marielle and Kendell's romance was really able to flourish. The mystery of Marielle was well done and I am looking foward to the next book in the series.
Sonya Heaney
Originally posted HERE .

You know, I’m getting really annoyed with some historical romance readers! I made the decision a while ago not to read this series because there were quite a few negative reviews, and I really wish I had ignored them.

The historical romance genre at the moment is beyond bizarre. Disney fairy tales based on television shows like The Brady Bunch and House get raving five star reviews across the board, while richly-detailed historical books that actually capture the location
Janell Sutherland
Sep 23, 2013 Janell Sutherland rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
In the years following the French Revolution, French nobility escaped to London. Gavin Norwood, the Viscount Kendale, was in the English army fighting against the Revolution. His company got ambushed when they were betrayed by a woman, and now he dreams of revenge while mistrusting women everywhere. He spends his leisure time building a private army and following a French woman around town.

Marielle Lyon may or may not be a spy, but she certainly acts shifty, skulking around town and delivering p
Laura the Highland Hussy
Review posted on Got fiction?

I didn't care for this at all.

Marielle Lyon is a Frenchwoman who has moved to England and carries out many suspect activities. She has meetings in dark alleys with smugglers, she goes where she pleases without a chaperone, she uses her feminine wiles to get her way. All these actions are suspect to Viscount Kendale, Gavin* Norwood, a man who’s been watching her for a while and who absolutely believes she’s a French spy.

Marielle does have secrets, many of the
Beachreader
May 28, 2016 Beachreader rated it it was ok
At the halfway point of this story, I have finally identified one of the author's main problems with this entire series. The relationships between the male protagonists and the female objects of their lust are underdeveloped. Lust is the driving emotion for each of the men (so far--hoping for something better from Penthurst) and the relationships developed with the women seem false, especially in the case of Marielle and Kendale.

The suspense and mystery in this book are not at all captivating.
Joyfully Reviewed
Marielle Lyon has a few secrets to keep. However, she enjoys the fact that gossip speaks of her being a spy for France. Feeling as though the attention will keep her safe, she continues to push for her ultimate goal. Alban Norwood, Viscount Kendale, has made it his life’s mission to right some wrongs from the past. He doesn’t trust what appears to be the truth and ferrets out undercover spies to balance the past. Marielle soon comes on his radar and all signs point to her and her duplicity, yet ...more
Mnix
Jul 06, 2014 Mnix rated it really liked it
Starbubbles
Apr 03, 2016 Starbubbles rated it really liked it
This was pretty good and kept me engaged with the mystery for most of the story. I do think that Marielle's assessment of the Stupid Handsome Man is fairly spot on at times. I mean, she admits to never having worn a ball gown, and is supposedly a higher up aristocrat? please. But there was a lot of mystery wrapped in here, which was surprising. Hunter did a wonderful job slowly teasing out each aspect of the Marielle Lyon mystery.

I adored the relationship between Kendale and Marielle. I mean, I
Elaine
Sep 30, 2015 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Oh yes, I love this so much more than the last book. A lovely story that kept me reading until 7 am. I must be mad....and tired!
I loved the interaction between Marielle and Gavin.
Ilze
Jun 14, 2014 Ilze rated it really liked it
Shelves: madeline-hunter
4 stars for this one because of the really enjoyable love story and the main characters, as well as the amusing interaction between the hero Kendale and his friends Ambury and Southwaite, the heroes of the previous 2 books in this series, as Kendale gradually falls in love the Marielle, the heroine, and asks his friends for advice regarding women.

The 3 undercover subplots that the hero and heroine are involved in were less satisfying, mainly because only one of them (the release of the heroine's
SidneyKay
May 06, 2014 SidneyKay rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance-regency
Margaret
Sep 24, 2013 Margaret rated it really liked it
Pam
Oct 22, 2013 Pam rated it liked it

I enjoy this series and have looked forward to each new book as we follow the adventures of the Fairbourne Quartet. Although this is not my favorite, I am excited to read more in this series and of course from this author.

Marielle Lyon is French and is keeping secrets. Many think she is a spy and she is fine with that, as it keeps people from finding out what she is really doing, trying to save her father’s life.

Gavin Norwood, the Viscount Kendale was in the English army during the r
Elis Madison
This is another series (The Fairbourne Quartet) that I've enjoyed following. The various heroes meet (and match) up with heroines who may or may not be giving information to the upstart, Napoleon.

In the previous two installments we've become acquainted with Gavin Norwood, Viscount Kendale. He survived the tragic battle at Toulous, but scars include a deep distrust of women. Especially French women. Especially beautiful French women who do things that look fishy.

Marielle Lyons is well aware the H
Dottiebears
Nov 14, 2014 Dottiebears rated it liked it
I loved books 2 and 4 of this series. Book 1 was ok, book 3 not so much. This seemed to be the weakest book in the series. I liked the Marielle character when she made an appearance in the other books in the series, but couldn't really connect with her character in this book. I did like the H even though he was kind of a boorish oaf both in earlier books and for part of this book. Madeline Hunter is an author I usually really enjoy, but this book was a definite miss for me.
Christine
Feb 20, 2013 Christine rated it really liked it
I have mixed feelings about "The Counterfeit Mistress."

In this third installment of the "The Fairbourne Quartet" series, the story arc gets more complex. A lot of action and suspense happens, more plot threads and characters get introduced, and existing secondary characters get fleshed out. Whew! It's a very busy book!

However, it seems that this growing intensity happens at the expense of the relationship between Gavin, Viscount Kendale and Marielle Lyon, whom he suspects is a French spy. Absol
Judith
Sep 17, 2013 Judith rated it really liked it
I can't to even begin to say how much I look forward to another book by this author. Such a great balance of fiction woven into the historical context of the time, bringing the Napoleonic era to life and teaching us so much about that culture while telling us sexy and romantic stories. What can get better than that for those of us who are lovers of history as well as romantic fiction? To put it simply, a beautiful lady is determined to find and save her father and she will use every one of her m ...more
Carleen
Jul 27, 2014 Carleen rated it really liked it
I have really enjoyed this series so far. I like that the ladies are the ones with the secrets and mysteries, and that they get to join the men in the action and adventure. The Counterfeit Mistress is the story of Marielle and Kendale, who each had bit parts in the first two stories. I was looking forward to learning about them, since they seemed like interesting characters and the story didn't disappoint.
Sara
Jun 01, 2014 Sara rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
Boring. I quit reading this one once I got to page 200 and realized I didn't care at ALL what happened to any of the characters. I was actually hoping something dramatic might put them out of their misery. Maybe it wouldn't have been so boring if I had read the previous books in this series, as it seems to be fairly well written, but the boringness was killing me!
Michelle
Jan 03, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
Marielle tried to leave France behind when she emigrated to England during the Terror but she left a big part of herself behind. Transporting and selling French art through London has brought her to the attention of Gavin Norwood who believes she is serving as a French spy. He has been following her from afar for a while but when she’s attacked on the streets Gavin knows he must act quick to rescue her. He’s intrigued by this fiercely independent woman and know he must get close to her to gain h ...more
Michelle Joyce Bond
Nov 04, 2014 Michelle Joyce Bond rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of meeting Ms. Hunter, and she recommended this book to me, sensing that I'd love her dark hero. Well, she was right on! I haven't read the other books in this series (yet!), but The Counterfeit Mistress stands alone as an elegant/sexy love story between a flawed hero and heroine who complete each other perfectly.
Lynda
Oct 16, 2014 Lynda rated it liked it
good story. The story of Marielle and Kendale. I liked that Lord Kendale never lost his arkward social ability. I liked that his two friends would talk about him while he was standing right next to them.
Nanette
Aug 16, 2015 Nanette rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, didnt-finish
Hunter knows how to write great characters. I enjoyed the relationship between Ambury, Kendalle and Southwaite as well as the one between Kendall and Marielle. But her basis of her plot was ridiculous. And her books are getting a bit too formulaic and perhaps that (and the stupid plot) is why I found myself skimming the 2nd half of the book . The 2 series are so similar. Castleford and penthurst, while different characters, have essentially the same role. They're even both dukes. The men are pee ...more
Daniellegn
Jun 03, 2014 Daniellegn rated it liked it
Both this and the prior book were a little hard to read. I'm not sure if there were too many plot details, or if it is because it doesn't flow as easily as other romance novels I've read. Most of the way through this book I thought I would be giving it a two, but the last quarter of the book picked up enough for me to rate it a low three. I liked marielle, she was a strong independent woman, though I felt her background should have been revealed earlier. I did not like Kendale much, he was very ...more
Tracy
Sep 30, 2013 Tracy rated it really liked it
I liked this book, I thought it was far better than Cassandra's book, but not nearly as good as Emma's.

Marielle was a mystery to me almost to the end of the book. I guess I understand why she didn't trust Gavin with all her secrets until the end. But I don't understand why she didn't trust Emma and Cassandra with any if her secrets.

Gavin was delicious - I adored him. I loved his interactions with Ambury and Southwaite. I was in stitches when he was asking Ambury his hypothetical questions abou
Jun 05, 2014 Laura rated it liked it
I like Madeline Hunter, but I found this book to move a little slowly. I like the story and the characters, but I feel like Madeline's books generally hold my attention better.
Mary
Mar 24, 2014 Mary rated it liked it
This book was uneven in the plot. It started in an intriguing way but had several slow spots that I had to force my way through. I never really felt like I knew the H/h.
June
Mar 28, 2016 June rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fairbourne and Hunter fans
A French refugee, Marielle claims to be the niece of a French aristocrat. Viscount Kendale thinks she is a spy. Sparks fly and plots twist. Maybe 3.5.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 27, 2015 12:16PM
  • Once a Rake (Drakes Rakes, #4)
  • Sins of a Ruthless Rogue (Sinners Trio, #2)
  • After the Scandal (The Reckless Brides, #4)
  • What a Gentleman Desires (Redgrave #3)
  • In Love with a Wicked Man
  • A Rake's Midnight Kiss (Sons of Sin, #2)
  • Her Ladyship's Companion (Spymasters, #0.5)
  • The Spy Wore Blue (Lord and Lady Spy, #1.5)
  • An Affair with Mr. Kennedy (The Gentlemen of Scotland Yard, #1)
  • When the Marquess Met His Match (An American Heiress in London, #1)
  • My Notorious Gentleman (The Inferno Club, #6)
  • How to Entice an Earl (Ugly Ducklings, #3)
  • The Scandalous Duke Takes a Bride (Dangerous Rogues, #3)
  • How to Entice an Enchantress (The Duchess Diaries, #3)
  • Lord of Darkness (Maiden Lane, #5)
  • The Pretender (Liar's Club, #1)
  • Vixen in Velvet (The Dressmakers, #3)
Madeline Hunter is a nationally bestselling author of historical romances who lives in Pennsylvania with her husband and two sons. Her books have won two RITA awards and seven nominations, and have had three starred reviews in Publishers Weekly. In a parallel existence to the one she enjoys as a novelist, Madeline has a Ph.D. in art history and teaches at an East Coast university.
More about Madeline Hunter...

Fairbourne Quartet (4 books)
  • The Surrender of Miss Fairbourne (Fairbourne Quartet, #1)
  • The Conquest of Lady Cassandra (Fairbourne Quartet, #2)
  • The Accidental Duchess (Fairbourne Quartet, #4)