Start by marking “Luke's Tale” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Luke's Tale

Carol McKibben

Luke's Tale

Luke, an intelligent, 89-pound yellow Labrador retriever, has an odd ability to understand human conversations and actions. When his owner’s girlfriend, Sara Colson, discovers she has breast cancer Luke is the sole secret keeper of her disease. Not knowing if she’ll survive, Sara leaves her boyfriend, Ashlundt Jaynes, to shield him from the pain. Luke, knowing how to give ...more
ebook
Published (first published December 24th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Luke's Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Luke's Tale

Start your review of Luke's Tale
John Jr.
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful book. If you love or have ever loved a dog or another person, this book is for you. It asks the question: If a dog can love us unconditionally, why can't we as human beings, love each other in the same way.

My wife Marti and I read it together and handed each other tissues, and then burst out laughing at the antics of beautiful Luke, who tells the story of the people he loves through his eyes. Even more incredible, he sees them even more clearly as he goes blind.

I highly recomme
Linda
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book, but found it difficult to read at times. Luke was such a great dog, and I found his way of telling a story very heartwarming and believable. When he started going blind, I cried. When he developed cancer, I cried. When it got near the end for him, I literally had to put the book down...several times. When it was really the end, I put the book down and went into the bathroom and cried so my husband wouldn't think I was crazy.I would love to contact the author so I can te ...more
Murielle Cyr
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
LUKE'S TALE is a touching, heart-wrenching story of unconditional love told in a dog's point of view. Luke is a loyal and exceptional golden retriever who is tune with, and at the mercy of his masters' emotional ups and downs. Ashlundt, a trained psychologist, protects himself from being hurt by burying his head in the sand. When his lover is diagnosed with cancer, he refuses to see her. When his dog becomes blind, he ignores it. He must learn to love without conditions in order for his marriage ...more
S.N. McKibben
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not able to not cry...and I loved it...so much. Really too emotional about the book to try and give a review that would help readers decide to read it--only that to be brave is to love a dog--and read this book.
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cried at the end of this story, being that it was a really really good story. I was surprised that the whole narration of the book was from Luke's POV and surprised that there was a lesson to be learned by the end. Yes, Luke is the dog but the way he told situations and events, you forget that he's a dog. Being a dog owner, myself, I sympathized with Luke's humans.

The author choose words and formed the sentences to give the reader a vivid picture as they read. Reading Luke's Tale was watching
Shira Esposito
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a charming read about a dog losing his eyesight and trying to keep a family together. I'm not a dog owner, but I fell in love with Luke. And I cried with him as he used all his determination to overcome the loss of vision to reunite his owners in troubled times.
Eric Rutle
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Touching tale about a wonderful dog who does his best to keep a family together during times of epic sadness. And this despite his failing eyesight, which eventually renders him blind, but also gives his life a whole new purpose. You don't have to be a dog-lover to appreciate the bittersweet emotions of this beautifully told story.
Michele
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the most beautiful books written from a dogs point of view. I just finished it am am actually crying. This is a lesson on unconditional love that I am not ever going to forget. I will also do a book review on my blog as well as recommend and review it on Amazon and Librarythings. This story has definitely moved me in ways no other has in a very long time.
Lotta Bangs
Luke's Tale by Carol McKibben

I was so looking forward to this book, but didn’t really enjoy it. It should carry a WARNING—if you have recently lost a beloved pet—DO NOT READ THIS or you’ll end up bawling your eyes out, as I did, and I’m a cat person.

Dog lovers, especially those who have owned Labradors will adore it. Everybody else will be bored by most of it especially in several tedious parts—the worst being the tests Luke goes through to become a hospital visiting dog.

His hospital visiting s
Roger Carrier
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like to stretch my literary horizons, and when something different comes along, I will often check it out. Carol McKibben is a masterful writer who portrays the emotional struggles of a young couple through the eyes of Luke, a yellow lab.

It takes skill to make a reader suspend believe and go with the flow. Within a page or two, I accepted the human qualities of Luke, and wanted to know where the story was going. I got right into the story and read 80 pages the first night.

I like mystery novels
Michelle
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ereader-freebie
This is a hard one for me. I readily give this book 4 stars and I really did love it. This really is a "self-help" book disguised as a book about a dog. When I discovered this, I was a bit put off and found myself a little annoyed. But the author does a wonderful job of expressing her message of unconditional love through the thoughts and actions of a dog. Luke's never ending loyalty and love for his owners (even when he was rejected and blamed) is so heartfelt you can't help but be touched by i ...more
JB
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as a gift from the author. If you have only one takeaway from this book, it should be the unconditional love you feel for someone else. There are lots of more takeaways, but this is the most important and in my opinion the whole reason behind the book. Luke, the dog, will guide you through finding out you have cancer to bringing your mate back from desolation and living again to providing you the happiness and understanding that you can love another person with the same unco ...more
Christoph Fischer
"Luke's Tale" by Carol McKibben is an emotional and bitter sweet love story. It tells us about a couple who both deal immaturely with her cancer and about their dog that holds the two of them together.
Told from the perspective of the dog this is a pull on your heart strings that will appeal hugely to animal lovers and pet owners and will have many in tears throughout.
Sometimes too much for my liking in terms of the sentiment it redeems itself easily through the great development of the lead cha
Gina Shupp
Luke's Tale was a wonderful book. To me it told the story of love and how people are so easy to give up and not face what is really the issues. This story of this yellow lab brought tears to me eyes. People who do not have dogs do not realize their unconditional love. I would love to read more books from this author
Xena LaRose
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly beautiful story of unconditional love, narrated by a sweet family dog who is losing his eyesight and trying to keep a family together.
Alyssa
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book about animal's unconditional love for us.
Brenda Rafferty
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly beautiful novel about a K-9 who fights to keep his family together through tragic times. Luke, the dog, narrates this story, even as he is rapidly losing his eyesight, making this all the more poignant.
deborah thompson
Just the best

Love love love this book - wish it could rewind reading for all!!! Made me smile and made me cry....
Pearl Bamford
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loves this book from beginning to end. This book is written from the perspective of a beloved dog. His tale of live and the way dogs are involved within our lives are highlighted. Never underestimate the power of having animals in your life.

Luke's love, devotion and unconditional love for his owners shines through and resonates with any animal lover.
Madeline Singh
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly touching story that may require a handkerchief or two. Unconditional love shines through in this story about a family dog who starts to lose his gift of eyesight, but still manages to serve as the glue to a loving relationship.
Simon Okill
Luke's Tale by Carol McKibben is a heart-rending story of a couple torn apart by cancer, a couple who love each other dearly. And amazingly they are drawn together by Luke, a Labrador with a very special talent, he can understand human speech and feelings. This book will need several boxes of tissues and boy it is so well written with pure love and understanding. What a stroke of genius to write from the dog's point of view?
Marvellous novel of heart breaking poignancy that is a must read and ve
Dawn
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dog lovers and/or anyone who likes an emotional love story.
Recommended to Dawn by: I saw it recommended on Amazon.
I loved this book! It reminded me of one of my favorites, "The Art of Racing In the Rain". This is a story about unconditional love and told from a dog's point of view. A story that was heartwarming and at times heartbreaking too. When reading this, make sure to keep a box of tissues close by. While reading this, I kept looking at our dog Lucia and wondering what she thinks about and how much she really knows about what goes on in our home.
Shlomo Cohen
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dogs really do provide us with this unconditional love that humans can learn so much from. This sweet story is about a family pet (member) who is losing his eyesight and trying to keep a family together is a crisis. One of the best books I've read in this subject matter.
Barbara Collins
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
got it for free from the author and absolutely love the book.. 5 stars.. Luke's tale is such a sad inspiring book.. must read
Mary Reed
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Laughed and cried through much of the book.
Julie
Apr 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• When I'm Gone
  • Off Season
  • Take One (Above the Line, #1)
  • Take Four (Above the Line, #4)
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • To the Moon and Back (The Baxter Family, #3)
  • Take Three (Above the Line, #3)
  • Brush of Wings (Angels Walking, #3)
  • Angels Walking (Angels Walking, #1)
  • Unlocked
  • Southern Fried Sushi (Southern Fried Sushi #1)
  • Elisha's Bones (Jack Hawthorne Adventure #1)
  • The Summer Guest
Carol McKibben was a magazine publisher for more than 20 years. She began a new career in freelance writing and editing in 2007. As well as editing other authors’ works to realize their dreams, she has completed Luke’s Tale and published a memoir, Riding Through It.

Carol currently writes from the heart of a dog's eyes. Often telling her stories to Laberdoodles, Basset Hounds and any stray that ha

News & Interviews

“If a dog can love us unconditionally, why can't we love each other in the same way?” 7 likes