Start by marking “Nick and Tesla's High-Voltage Danger Lab: A Mystery with Electromagnets, Burglar Alarms, and Other Gadgets You Can Build Yourself” as Want to Read:

(Nick and Tesla #1)

Nick and Tesla are bright 11-year-old siblings with a knack for science, electronics, and getting into trouble. When their parents mysteriously vanish, they’re sent to live with their Uncle Newt, a brilliant inventor who engineers top-secret gadgets for a classified government agency. It’s not long before Nick and Tesla are embarking on adventures of their own—engineering ...more
Published November 5th 2013 by Quirk Books

Start your review of Nick and Tesla's High-Voltage Danger Lab: A Mystery with Electromagnets, Burglar Alarms, and Other Gadgets You Can Build Yourself
Beth Cato
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as part of the LibraryThing Early Reviewer's Program.

There's been a lot of buzz about this new Nick and Tesla series for middle grade readers, and the concept intrigued me since my son is eight and loves science.

The book appeals to both girls and boys and uses the old model of mystery novels ala Hardy Boys and Bobsey Twins, but with detailed how-to instructions on building all kinds of cool gadgets. The novel itself is a fast, enjoyable read, and wasn't nearly as predictabl
Joan
Dec 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: sci fi lovers, and as common core fiction
I don't think these were as good as the old mystery series about this grade level, the old Danny Dunn series: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7.... (now of course I need to go back and read Danny Dunn if I can find any in the library!) But the premise was similar: a boy about the same age as these twins uses science and the scientific method to work out mysteries. However, this will be a lovely series to hand to patrons who want Common Core fiction. Of course the twins names are a bit too cu ...more
Kayla
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lately, I've been making it a major priority in my reading goals to read more of my physical books. I have thousands of them, and they usually just sit around collecting dust because I mainly read from my Kindle. I found the Nick and Tesla series on m bookshelf, and decided to pick up the first book because I've been in the mood to read middle grade fiction recently. I thought it was a great start to what seems to be a promising series.

Nick and Tesla had everything that I love in a middle grade
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in a middle grade series especially for kids who like science and mysteries. The main characters, Nick and Tesla (11 year old twins) are sent to their Uncle Newt for the summer because their scientist parents were sent out of the country. To say they are unhappy is an understatement. It is summer vacation and they had many things they were looking forward to. Their Uncle Newt happens to be an eccentric mad scientist, who gives them free reign in his lab. When they build a ...more
Stefani Sloma
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fun and exciting. I think this would be perfect for a middle-school-aged library program: a book club/science night. Could do one or more of the experiments in the book and talk about the book itself.

The writing is a bit clunky in parts, but I thought it was a lot of fun overall and the characters are unique and interesting.
Eli Hornyak
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read this book for our stores blind date with a book for middle grade. I enjoyed it, and loved the experiments included in the book
Crysta
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I like science, enjoy mysteries, and love discovering good main characters. This book had all three, so I was pretty happy.

Nick and Tesla (11 year old twins) are sent to their Uncle Newt for the summer because their scientist parents went out of country suddenly to study soybean irrigation. Their Uncle Newt happens to be a pretty clueless mad scientist, and he gives them free reign in his lab. Then they lose something in the yard of a vicious dog-guarded mansion, find a mysterious girl on the t
Cheryl
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Nick and Tesla are brother and sister. Their parents have gone to Uzebkistan. They have sent Nick and Tesla to stay with their uncle for the summer. When they arrive they find their uncle covered in orange goo. He is a scientist. He tells Nick and Tesla that they are welcome to use his lab.

When Nick and Tesla go investigating the neighborhood, they find that they will have to get creative building gadgets to save themselves from mean dogs and bad guys. Think the movie Home Alone.

This book is a
Lonna Pierce
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was ok

Danger! Danger! The warnings against foolhardy use of the electric, explosive, pressurized, toxic, or sharp items listed in this book fill the first page, along with a disclaimer of liability from the author and publisher, of course. This ingenious mystery series about twin science geeks, Nick and Tesla, is interspersed with plans for experiments using homemade electromagnets and bottle rockets. With their parents supposedly on assignment in Uzbekistan, the twins are sent to live with their clue
Apr 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
The Good: This book is such a cool endeavor. The kids are smart, make awesome things and save the day. I loved how this book made science fun. I also loved the experiments and how they included instructions with pictures for readers to be able to try them out on their own. And there was a cliffhanger that definitely enticed me to get right into reading the next book.

The Bad: The actual writing isn't all that great. The sentences were clunky. There was no flow to them at all, so that I had to go
Celeste
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received a copy for review from Quirk Books. My 9 year old, who read at a middle school level actually plucked this from my hands and read it first. He carried the book around for the day and bookmarked all the projects for us to do. At the end of the book I asked him what he thought of it and he said he really enjoyed the story, the characters and the projects. After prying the book away from him (as he likes to read books more than once) I was able to read it. I thought it was a fun book and ...more
Chessa
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, but I'll round up for cleverness. Cute middle grade mystery story that features a smart sister and brother team solving crime using science and gadgets. This was a great read aloud for my 10- and 6-year-old sons. Chapters are a good length and there are a few illustrations sprinkled throughout. Also included are plans for building your own gadgets that they use in the book! We haven't tried any yet, but they look fairly accessible.
Meredith
Sep 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle
Science! Wacky uncle! MacGyver twins! This was fun.

"But then again, if Trouble had to drive, wouldn't it drive a big, black SUV?"

"Tesla's expression darkened. It was one thing to tell her she was imagining things. But tell her she'd screwed up her circuitry? Watch out."

Pretty bad typo on p.107 - "borthers". But I like the look of the book overall - great design.
Zaid Ahmed
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: last-quarter
Nick and Tesla wanted to determine what was happening in the Old Ladrigan place. But there are 2 big dogs. So they try to disturb the dogs and go and discover things. What will happen? What will they discover?

Always think about your safety...
Trace
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Luke read this book in one day. He says that he'd give this book 100 stars if he could. Guess it was a winner! :)
Joe Santoro
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very good for the aspiring scientist... pretty much a cross between Scooby Doo and MacGuyver, with actual explanations of the science tricks that you can do at home.
Whitney Wingerd
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 11 year old rated this on my kindle lol
Grrlscientist
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
The premise that underpins Bob Pflugfelder’s and Steve Hockensmith’s children’s thriller, Nick and Tesla’s High-Voltage Danger Lab: A Novel with Electromagnets, Burglar Alarms, and Other Gadgets You Can Build Yourself [Quirk Books, 2013], is interesting: this mystery is a mechanism to get children excited by science by showing them how to build some of the gadgets featured in the book. As the story progresses, the children construct a number of inventions that readers can also build for themselv ...more
Maranda
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Nick and Tesla’s High-Voltage Danger Lab by “Science Bob” Pflugfelder is a middle grade read for 4th-6th graders.

Nick and Tesla are extremely smart 11-year-old twins who like inventing and find trouble fairly easily. When they are shipped off to spend the summer with their eccentric Uncle Newt–an inventor and goofball–they expect to be bored out of theirs minds but find they are anything but.

When Nick and Tesla lose their rocket and the pendant their paren
Janice
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-lit
Nick and Tesla have been sent to their Uncle Newt's for the summer while their parents are in Uzbekistan studying soy beans. They realize it is going to be anything but normal because Uncle Newt forgets to pick them up. When they get to his house via taxi, it's a house of a mad scientist, but he tells them his lab is their lab. So they go down to create a rocket after launching it, it flies over the fence of the local haunted house being renovated. It also took Tesla's necklace with it. When the ...more
Clayton Hildebrandt
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is about twins that have to live with their mad scientist uncle because their parents are 'harvesting beans in Uzbekistan', and so they try to get used to it. Later, they realize that on the corner of the neighborhood there is a house with a girl that seems to be stuck, and when they try to help, they realize that it is a little more complicated...
Earline
A fun Scooby-Doo inspired mystery with instructions on how to build gadgets mixed in. I liked the concept, but it needed more science, or more mystery, or more comedy.. something, instead of just a bit of each adding up to a mediocre story.
Nicole
Mar 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
2019 - Read aloud with W age 4.

The projects are kind of neat, but the story was a slog to get through for me. W seemed to like it ok, but it is a story about a kidnapping, which I don't think is really appropriate for his age. We won't be reading any more of this series.
Jami
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
My 8 and 10 year old gave this book 5 stars. They loved the mystery and the actual science experiments with directions. The idea that kids could be scientists was very inspiring to them.
Kristine
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Easy read. Cute. Similar to get Hawking and Nye books, but I preferred those.
Heather
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-but-unowned
Fun story and cool stuff to build but the writing wasn’t great
Ashley
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute book. Science, mystery, danger!
TC Young
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Dialog was a bit stilted but the story line was pretty good.
Mahlon
Cute story with fun projects!
Traci
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelving for T for in a couple of years.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Mr. Lemoncello's All-Star Breakout Game (Mr. Lemoncello's Library, #4)
  • Mr. Lemoncello's Library Olympics (Mr. Lemoncello's Library, #2)
  • The Bacteria Book: The Big World of Really Tiny Microbes
  • Class Action
  • Mr. Lemoncello's Great Library Race (Mr. Lemoncello's Library, #3)
  • The Sasquatch Escape (The Imaginary Veterinary, #1)
  • The Order of the Unicorn (The Imaginary Veterinary, #4)
  • The Rain Dragon Rescue (The Imaginary Veterinary, #3)
  • The Lonely Lake Monster (The Imaginary Veterinary, #2)
  • Danger Down The Nile (Treasure Hunters, #2)
  • Treasure Hunters (Treasure Hunters, #1)
  • The Island of Dr. Libris
  • Castle Hangnail
  • Physiology (Board Review Series)
  • The Swamp: The Everglades, Florida, and the Politics of Paradise
  • The 117-Story Treehouse: Dots, Plots & Daring Escapes!
  • At the Bottom of the World (Jack and the Geniuses, #1)
Science Bob is an award winning teacher and television personality with a mission to share the amazing world of science. Through his website, television appearances, and now a series of books coauthored with Steve Hockensmith, Bob shows that science is fun, accessible, and inspiring. Bob has shared his love for science as a regular on Jimmy Kimmel Live, Live With Kelly & Michael, and the Dr. Oz Sh ...more

Nick and Tesla (6 books)
  • Nick and Tesla's Robot Army Rampage: A Mystery with Hoverbots, Bristle Bots, and Other Robots You Can Build Yourself
  • Nick and Tesla's Secret Agent Gadget Battle: A Mystery with Spy Cameras, Code Wheels, and Other Gadgets You Can Build Yourself
  • Nick and Tesla's Super-Cyborg Gadget Glove: A Mystery with a Blinking, Beeping, Voice-Recording Gadget Glove You Can Build Yourself
  • Nick and Tesla's Special Effects Spectacular: A Mystery with Animatronics, Alien Makeup, Camera Gear, and Other Movie Magic You Can Make Yourself! (Nick and Tesla, #5)
  • Nick and Tesla's Solar-Powered Showdown: A Mystery with Sun-Powered Gadgets You Can Build Yourself

Related Articles

For more than a decade, Neil deGrasse Tyson, the world-renowned astrophysicist and host of the popular radio and Emmy-nominated televi...
“Tesla cocked her head to the side.
"Hey," she said. "Do you hear something?"
Nick cocked his head just as his sister had, though he wondered why anyone bother doing that.
Does lifting one ear at an approximately thirty-degree angle really increase one's ability to detect faint noises? he thought. Because he was that sort of kid.”
1 likes
“Oh,” he said, stopping in the doorway. “I should probably warn you. Your beds might take a little getting used to.” “Why?” Tesla asked. “What’s wrong with them?” When Uncle Newt had shown them their room earlier, the beds had looked normal enough. Not that Nick and Tesla had paid much attention to them. They’d been distracted—and horrified—by the posters haphazardly stapled to the wall: Teletubbies, Elmo, Smurfs, Albert Einstein, and the periodic table. (Nick and Tesla had quickly agreed that the first three would “fall down” and “accidentally” “get ripped” at the first opportunity.) “There’s nothing wrong with your beds, and everything right!” Uncle Newt declared. “I’m telling you, kids. You haven’t slept till you’ve slept on compost!” “What?” Nick and Tesla said together. Even Uncle Newt couldn’t miss the disgust on their faces. “Maybe I’d better come up and explain,” he said. Uncle Newt pulled the comforter off Nick’s bed and revealed something that didn’t look like a bed at all. It was more like a lumpy black sleeping bag with tubes and wires poking out of one end. “Behold!” Uncle Newt said. “The biomass thermal conversion station!” Nick reluctantly gave it a test-sit. It felt like he was lowering himself onto a garbage bag stuffed with rotten old food. Because he was. “As you sleep,” Uncle Newt explained, “your body heat will help decompose food scraps pumped into the unit, which will in turn produce more heat that the convertor will turn into electricity. So, by the time you wake up in the morning, you’ll have enough power to—ta da!” Uncle Newt waved his hands at a coffeemaker sitting on the floor nearby. “Brew coffee?” Tesla said. Uncle Newt gave her a gleeful nod. “We don’t drink coffee,” said Nick. “Then you can have a hot cup of invigorating fresh-brewed water.” “Great,” Nick said. He experimented with a little bounce on his “bed.” He could feel slimy things squishing and squashing beneath his butt. “Comfy?” Uncle Newt asked. “Uhh … kind of,” Nick said. Uncle Newt beamed at his invention. “Patent pending,” he said. Uncle Newt was a gangly man with graying hair, but at that moment he looked like a five-year-old thinking about Christmas. Tesla gave the room a tentative sniff. “Shouldn’t the compost stink?” “Oh, no, no, no, no, no! Each biomass thermal conversion station is completely airtight!” Uncle Newt’s smile wavered just the teeniest bit. “In theory.” Nick opened his mouth to ask another question, but Uncle Newt didn’t seem to notice. “Well,” he said, slapping his hands together, “I guess you two should wash your teeth and brush your faces and all that. Good night!” 0 likes