Start by marking “The Aviators: Eddie Rickenbacker, Jimmy Doolittle, Charles Lindbergh, and the Epic Age of Flight” as Want to Read:

Written by gifted storyteller Winston Groom (author of Forrest Gump), The Aviators tells the saga of three extraordinary aviators--Charles Lindbergh, Eddie Rickenbacker, and Jimmy Doolittle--and how they redefine heroism through their genius, daring, and uncommon courage.

This is the fascinating story of three extraordinary heroes who defined aviation during the great age
Published November 5th 2013 by National Geographic (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Aviators, please sign up.
James P. Klag Not just technical errors but easily corrected errors of historical fact. Too bad. A great idea miserably executed. I'm reading the audio version and…moreNot just technical errors but easily corrected errors of historical fact. Too bad. A great idea miserably executed. I'm reading the audio version and the narrator is pouring gasoline on the fire. He can't pronounce most foreign names and places.

(less)
Patrick Hamblin Groom also identified the Stuka as being one of the main bombers in the Battle of Britain. In actuality, the Heinkel 111 was the primary German…moreGroom also identified the Stuka as being one of the main bombers in the Battle of Britain. In actuality, the Heinkel 111 was the primary German bomber. (less)

Joseph Spuckler
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography, history
The Aviators: Eddie Rickenbacker, Jimmy Doolittle, Charles Lindbergh, and the Epic Age of Flight by Winston Groom is the intertwining stories of three of the greatest aviators in America and for that matter the world. Groom is an American novelist and non-fiction writer, best known for his book Forrest Gump, which was adapted into a film in 1994. He served in the Army from 1965 to 1969, including a tour in Vietnam. Groom devotes his time to writing history books about American wars.

This is anoth
happy
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
With this look at three of the giants of American interwar aviation, Winston Groom has once again written a very accessible history. Mr. Groom looks at the lives and accomplishments of Eddie Rickenbacker, Charles Lindbergh and Jimmy Doolittle. All three were military pilots, though Mr. Lindbergh never flew on active duty, all three overcame life difficulties in reaching their prominence in aviation.

In writing their story, Mr. Groom keeps their tales separate. This book is almost like three biogr
Bou
This book deals with the three aviation pioneers Charles Lindbergh, Eddie Rickenbacker and Jimmy Doolittle who are responsible for their achievements to the development of aviation history.

All three men have on thing in common: all contributed to the development of the American aviation. Rickenbacker became the top US flying ace in World War I, Doolittle became the top military test pilot in the 1920s and of course renowned by the Tokyo Raid and Lindbergh became the most famous man alive by flyi
Frank
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, history
As with the Generals, Groom portrays three pioneers of flight, Lindbergh, Rickenbacker and Doolittle.
All three men certainly in their younger years living on the edge in an area of flight where many lost their lives due to faulty equipment, weather, and poor flying techniques.
I was amazed by Rickenbacker's life, not only a WWI ace, but survives a brutal crash in Atlanta, then crashes in the South Pacific during WWII, and is adrift for as many weeks, with survivors battling the weather the sea
Steve
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military, non-fiction
I’m not sure quite how to characterize this entertaining and informative slice of (American) aviation history presented through the interlaced biographies of the three dominant (again, American) aviators in the era following the Wright Brothers: Charles Lindbergh, Eddie Rickenbacker, and Jimmy Doolittle. It’s an interesting approach, particularly since any number of books (including autobiographical works, including a Pulitzer Prize winner) focus on each of the three protagonists and a number o ...more
Adam
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
For whatever reason, 2013 saw renewed interest in Charles Lindbergh, to the point where reading about him--sometimes on his own, sometimes as part of a larger historical narrative--became downright nauseating. (As a simple man almost entirely focused on aviation, Lindbergh and his accomplishment become tiresome almost immediately.) Lynne's Olsen's Those Angry Days attempted to depict Lindbergh and Franlin Delano Roosevelt as lead opponents in the run-up to World War II, with Lindbergh the isol ...more
Anna
Actually 4.5
I really enjoy Groom's writing style. He has a way of making the past feel immediate and fresh. Unlike with many other authors, I never get lost in his battle scenes. These three men detailed in this book were all quite remarkable. I was particularly impressed by the author's balanced depiction of Lindbergh, I felt like I saw him as a much more complete person than emerged from Bryson's recent book One Summer: America, 1927. I know a lot more about aviation history and about both Wor
Steve
Jun 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-for-nls
I'm somewhat torn about this book. The subjects give Groom plenty of fodder for great, exciting storytelling and he makes the most of it. There's no denying the world-changing heroics of Rickenbacker, Doolittle and Lindbergh and the author smartly tells their stories alongside each other, with fun moments of overlap as their worlds collide. A biography of this length on any one of these men might have been fleshed out with minutiae that could have bogged down the flow and overwhelmed the reader ...more
Lisa
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The author is a great storyteller. I had heard of Doolittle and Rickenbacker but only vaguely so I really enjoyed reading about their lives. Amazing to think of how the three, including Charles Lindbergh, contributed to aviation. (I did not know that the two halls at the US Air Force Academy are named after Hap Arnold and Mitchell, also aviation military pioneers.)

Those guys had "9 Lives" especially Rickenbacker. I mean, he was an ace in WW I. Then he was in a terrible crash in Atlanta and I don
Paul
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is examines the lives of Eddie Rickenbacker, Jimmy Doolittle, and Charles Lindbergh, and it demonstrates that these men – who all did heroic deeds and helped bring aviation from its infancy to not only military power but also innovated safety, navigation, and fuel efficiency advances that made commercial flight possible and safe. Each of them had flaws and controversies, but these imperfect men made great contributions, as well.

Notable in this book is the defense of Charles Lindbergh –
J.S.
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
We probably take it for granted now that we can fly across the country in a few hours or halfway around the world in the better part of a day. Travel by air is commonplace now, but it wasn't always so. In the early days of aviation, airplanes were for daredevils to entertain in barnstorming shows. Even after the First World War, few in America thought the airplane had much use, even in the military. But one who saw its great potential was Eddie Rickenbacker, America's most successful "flying ace ...more
Michael Gerald
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A great book on the three great pioneers of aviation, aside from the Wright brothers. One was a World War I fighter pilot who became an airline executive; one was a brilliant pilot and aeronautical engineer who set off a revolution by flying blind and just using the instruments in his plane; and another one who electrified the world with his non-stop solo flight across the Atlantic Ocean.

They had different backgrounds, but all had the same early pursuit: a love of flying when flying was a novelt
Dan Walter
Dec 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
A good read -- if you don't let the facts get in the way. It is too bad that an otherwise engaging and enjoyable read is ruined by mistatement of widely-known historical information. For example, Groom says that 700,000 men were killed during the battle of Verdun - when the figure is more like 300,000. Groom also states that Hitler "conquered Sweden," when in fact Sweden was a neutral country. Also, he writes that when Hitler signed the non-aggression pact with Stalin, communists around the worl ...more
Kirsten #EnoughIsEnough
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very well written history of three heroes of early avation: Jimmy Doolittle, Charles Lindbergh, and Eddie Rickenbacker. The writing was very accessible and showed me signs of these men I never knew about.

Because of Lindbergh's actions against Roosevelt, I had always disliked him. However, this book showed me so much more about him that I want to know more.

If you are interested in American or aviation history or if you just enoy biography, I recommend this!
C.H. Cobb
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It takes a very skilled writer to accomplish what Winston Groom has done in The Aviators. He weaves the tales of Rickenbacker, Doolittle, and Lindbergh into seamless whole.

It’s a great book, filled with fascinating stories of perhaps the three most fascinating characters in the history of aviation, outside of the Wright brothers themselves. Groom tracks all three characters in a fairly tight chronology, writing a virtual biography of each man. The most confusing feature of the book for me will p
Jerrod Carter
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great overview of the history of flight through three of the earliest pioneers after the Wright Brothers. I knew precious little about Mr. Lindbergh and absolutely nothing about Mr. Rickenbacker and Mr. Doolittle. Three absolutely amazing individuals with all their heroic and all their flawed attributes on parade in this book made it a very interesting read. Highly recommended.
Jb17112
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Don't miss this. Lives filled with action and heroic deeds. Not necessarily outstanding in their ideas and personal affairs but when it came to standing with their country they walked the walk.
Chip
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And you thought you knew them.

As a lover of history, war, and aviation to follow in depth, robust accounts of the full and expanded lives of these great Americans was a privilege . A must read ,real, for everyone...
Leah K
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, own
There was a lot of info in this book. More than I could retain. Interesting.
Andi Vaughn
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great history lesson about these men who I really knew nothing about.
Kate Breslin
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Winston Groom does a wonderful job portraying the personal and professional lives of these three amazing pilots who made aviation history almost 100 years ago. Each was a man of courage, honor, and sheer brilliance, and played a critical role in the advancement of the airplane, not only for use in war, but for commercial transportation. I listened to the audio version and thoroughly enjoyed!
Mike Reddy
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was absolutely fantastic. The author takes three rich lives and tells the stories without falling in love with boring details of his research. The lives are amazing but the storytelling is equally solid. Well done.
Yvonne
I saw a review of this book in the WSJ and added it to my list of books to check out at the library. I am glad I did, Groom has written a very readable look at three American aviation pioneers and their accomplishments. All three men did not have a father in the picture they came from poor backgrounds but did have a strong mother figure.

Rickenbacker, was a WWI flying ace and he started commercial aviation in the US. He made and lost fortune in the great depression but came back to create anothe
Steve Smits
May 17, 2014 rated it liked it
The Aviators is the history of three of the pioneers of aviation in America: Eddie Rickenbacker, Jimmy Doolittle and Charles Lindbergh. It tells the story of the exploits of these men from WWI through WWII. Lindbergh's history is fairly well-known and his story is told well by Groom. Of particular interest is his loss of popularity for the positions he took prior to WWII -- his isolationist views and acceptance of the inevitability of German domination of Europe. Groom suggests that his anti-sem ...more
Brian
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Winston Groom delivers an excellent look into early aviation by tracking the lives of Eddie Rickenbacker, Jimmy Doolittle and Charles Lindbergh. Rickenbacker was the famed World War 1 ace that started out as a dirt track racer of automobiles and eventually ran several of the early airlines and survived many harrowing crashes and time at sea. He was one of the first to popularize and romanticize flight and made contributions in management, safety, and navigation over the course of his life. Jimmy ...more
Pam Walter
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
From a master storyteller comes the true biography of the three most prominent Americans of the early Aeronautical Age, Eddie Rickenbacker, James (Jimmy) Doolittle, and Charles Lindbergh. The story begins with a background on all three pilots, their families, social status, early interests, education. All three came from poor to middle class families with Lindbergh being the most affluent, and all three showed an early interest in flying.

Each chapter follows these three characters through their
Kevin
Jan 11, 2015 rated it liked it
This text describes three pilots through their ups and downs through the two world wars. (Errk, sorry for the pun.) Groom has enjoyed successes, most notably Forest Gump. As such, this feels like the book that did not get enough attention. i have a sense that this book was not really finished, but abandoned and not really given its editor's pencil enough.

He writes three separate stories broken into a blur of chapters and uses the current convention of being cavalier with chronology. So his intr
Chris
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, wwii, aviation
I love history books that are entertaining while still being informative.  The Aviators is one such book.  Each of the men featured in The Aviators made significant contributions to early aviation.  They all led extraordinary lives, served their country valiantly during wartime, and had more than their fair share of excitement.  This excellent account is a window into each of their remarkable lives.

In a few of the other reviews, I noticed that people commented negatively on the book's defense of
Ronald
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I had just read The Wright Brothers by McCullough and followed it up with The Aviators: by Groom. It was a very interesting listen as I ran. All three names were familiar to me. I had read extensively about Rickenbacker as a boy. Interweaving these three giants in the history of aviation was good. It is interesting that authors today who write about WWII era are beginning to give a different view of FDR. Not sure if they are all researching the same sources but the topic of his anti-semitism as ...more
Mark
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
For those who only think of Eddie Rickenbacker as a World War I flying ace, or Charles Lindbergh as the first man to cross the Atlantic in a plane, or Jimmy Doolittle as the leader of a World War II raid on Japan; this volume will enlighten you to the lives of these three remarkable individuals and their myriad accomplishments.

Wonderfully written by Winston Groom, this triple biography follows the lives of three of the most important men in the early days of aviation. From the wood and fabric "
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Is this good history? 3 14 Jul 19, 2015 01:21PM

• Hell's Angels: The True Story of the 303rd Bomb Group in World War II
  • Lords of the Sky: Fighter Pilots and Air Combat, from the Red Baron to the F-16
  • Clouds of Glory: The Life and Legend of Robert E. Lee
  • Forever Flying
  • War on the Waters: The Union and Confederate Navies, 1861-1865
  • Red Moon Rising: Sputnik and the Hidden Rivalries that Ignited the Space Age
  • A Fiery Peace in a Cold War: Bernard Schriever and the Ultimate Weapon
  • Medal of Honor: Profiles of America's Military Heroes from the Civil War to the Present
  • Birdmen: The Wright Brothers, Glenn Curtiss, and the Battle to Control the Skies
  • Tin Can Titans: The Heroic Men and Ships of World War II's Most Decorated Navy Destroyer Squadron
  • Warlord: A Life of Winston Churchill at War, 1874-1945
  • Predator: The Secret Origins of the Drone Revolution
  • Fighter Pilot: The Memoirs of Legendary Ace Robin Olds
  • China's Wings: War, Intrigue, Romance, and Adventure in the Middle Kingdom During the Golden Age of Flight
  • Red November: Inside the Secret U.S.-Soviet Submarine War
  • The Arsenal of Democracy: FDR, Ford Motor Company, and Their Epic Quest to Arm an America at War
  • I Could Never Be So Lucky Again
Winston Groom is an American novelist and non-fiction writer, best known for his book Forrest Gump, which was adapted into a film in 1994. Groom was born in Washington, D.C., but grew up in Mobile, Alabama where he attended University Military School (now known as UMS-Wright Preparatory School). He attended the University of Alabama, where he was a member of Delta Tau Delta and the Army ROTC, and ...more
“By 1929 a handful of farsighted flight pioneers had concluded that “aviation could not progress until planes could fly safely day or night in almost any kind of weather.” Foremost among these was Dr. Jimmy Doolittle, recently armed with a PhD in aeronautical engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. In” 1 likes
“Not that the title of top American ace wasn’t flattering. After all, Rickenbacker had shot down seven enemy planes in as many months. It was just that all of the former recipients of the honor had all been killed, and he could not help but ruminate over what he called “the unavoidable doom that had overtaken its previous holders.” Rickenbacker” 0 likes