Start by marking “The World of Ice & Fire: The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thrones” as Want to Read:
The World of Ice & Fire: The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thrones

The World of Ice & Fire: The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thrones

(A Song of Ice and Fire)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  23,246 ratings  ·  1,845 reviews
If the past is prologue, then George R. R. Martin’s masterwork—the most inventive and entertaining fantasy saga of our time—warrants one hell of an introduction. At long last, it has arrived with The World of Ice and Fire.

This lavishly illustrated volume is a comprehensive history of the Seven Kingdoms, providing vividly constructed accounts of the epic battles, bitter ris
Published October 28th 2014 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about The World of Ice & Fire, please sign up.
Kit Kimberly "This history isn't really for the novel readers as pretty much all the info in it has already been written in the novels."

Well, I've read…more

Well, I've read the novels at least five times each, and I'm getting reams of information that I didn't already know from this history.

In fact, I wish academic history books were this well written; it has always irritated the crap out of me how BORING academics make history when it's so exciting, as Martin clearly shows.

Still, he needs to finish the damned books (see my other post, won't repeat).(less)
Dustin This is a sort of encyclopedia on the Song of Ice and Fire world, so you can read it whenever, but there are some minor spoilers. I would read it any…moreThis is a sort of encyclopedia on the Song of Ice and Fire world, so you can read it whenever, but there are some minor spoilers. I would read it any time after A Storm of Swords (book 3).(less)

·  23,246 ratings  ·  1,845 reviews

Maria
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐

This book was exceptional, magnificent, impactful. I never expected to have so much fun with a history book... this is the shit they should have taught us in school! I have never had the pleasure of reading a/>This
Jayson
(B+) 77% | Good
Notes: What energy there is in the latter two-thirds comes from illustrations, as narrative’s meted out rough and piecemeal.
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 5-star-reads
This book is exceptional: the art work is beautiful and the history, of a fantasy universe, is well defined. There is much new material from Westeros to be found in here. I’ve read A Song of Ice and Fire four times, yes four times, and have still found this book to be incredibly informative yet at the same time wonderful.

description

When I pre-ordered this, several months ago, the first thing that stuck me was that I was going to be reading the same material again: I presumed this book, would contain the myths and tales already mentioned in
Petrik
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ASOIAF fans
Intricate world-building on a global scale.

The World of Ice and Fire: The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thrones is a companion book to A Song of Ice and Fire series. Martin’s collaboration with Elio Miguel García Jr. and Linda Maria Antonsson resulted in a comprehensive history behind the land of Westeros and beyond. Although I spent two weeks reading this book, do not think that I didn’t enjoy reading it. The World of Ice and Fire is an imaginary history book, and the prose certainly felt like reading onescale.
The
Markus
A Team Rocket Read!
__________________________________________

"And so I set myself to work once more at my forge, to make new and notable matter around the masterworks of the long-dead maesters who came before me. What follows herein sprang from that desire: a history of deeds gallant and wicked, peoples familiar and strange, and lands near and far."

What can be better for a fantasy fanatic who is also a history student than to read a history book from one of his favourite fantasy universes?

The world of Ice and Fire is a wonderful place, and the amount of detRead!
Kaora
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
There is always more to know, more to lean. The world is vast and wondrous strange, and there are more things beneath the stars than even the archmaesters of the Citadel can dream.

White Walkers

This book is highly recommended for anyone who loves the Game of Thrones books.

We begin by learning about the First Men, the Giants and the Children of the Forest. The races that initially lived in what was Westeros, moving intoclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
White
Slumpy
May 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book is utter garbage. The writing is just awful and reads like something written by a verbose teenager. it's also completely useless as a reference guide since much of the "information" is purposefully incorrect since it is "written from the PoV of a Maester and what a maester would believe is correct".

What this really means: it's basically them writing in mistakes because the series is incomplete and the information within subject to change. This is why most reference material for fantas
mark monday
Nov 03, 2014 rated it liked it
this was a really fun and interesting look at all of the "history" and myths and legends behind A Song of Ice and Fire. it is written in the style of one of that series' maesters so it is amusingly pedantic in tone, slanted against magic, and often quite obsequious towards then-king Robert Baratheon. I loved that faux-author's voice; the actual authors did a great job in capturing the feeling of a professor condescendingly lecturing his students while developing and expanding on Westeros and the ...more
Mohammed Arabey
Apr 20, 2015 marked it as to-be-continued

A huge size tome -not many pages though- Yet it's very elegant..

An in-Depth look into the World that created the Worldwide Phenomenon , A Song of Ice and Fire.

مجلد ضخم, أنيق يحوي التاريخ الرسمي الكامل للعالم الخيالي الذي خرج منه الظاهرة العالمية "أغنية الجليد والنار" الأسطورية الملحمية , مصحوبا بصور جذابة لذلك التاريخ وجغرافيا هذا العالم,عالم الجليد والنار

A huge size tome -not many pages though- Yet it's very elegant..

I loved how the Preface started ,and why this History book made, it's best way to get into the feeling that you're reading the History of an actual World..

بدأت لتوي قراءته جنبا إلي جنب مع بدايتي للجزء الثالث من الكتب ,الموسم الخامس من المسلسل .وأعجبني كيف بدأه المؤلف بأسلوب أن من كتب الكتاب هو أحد أشخاص هذا العالم, وسبب تقديمه لهذا المجلد الذي يحوي تاريخ العالم
ذكرني بتجربة جي كي رولينج في
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

I bought the US and UK editions
-I'm not rich, just a sickness or Book Collecting disorder that I'm infected with- one edition got advantages that's not at the other and versa vice ,but that's just the design of the cover...and the paper material, but otherwise both the same Elegant books..

I've just start reading it, along A Storm of Swords ,book Three, and "Game of Thrones" Season Five..

So, till a full review

Mohammed Arabey
20 April 2015
Ms. Smartarse
The World of Ice and Fire is hands down the prettiest book that I own. I can see myself taking it down occasionally, flipping through it lovingly, possibly even referencing it now and then. Heck, I'm even considering buying a fancy little coffee table, just so I could use it as a support for the book.

iron throne

When it comes to its (written) content however, I was a bit disappointed
Argona
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Argona by: Parham
This book is a great companion to the ASOIAF series and contains very interesting information. I got goose bumps reading this book. It’s like a treasure of rubies, emeralds and sapphires for fans of ASOIAF. So much valuable information…from The Pact between the Children of the Forest and First Men to The Pact of Ice and Fire between Houses Stark and Targaryen. You get to learn a lot about the origin of your favorite characters, their ancient houses and how these houses have been affected by famo ...more
Nicole
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Oh. My. God. I finished it.
This book has been on my shelf since the long night september 2017 and I’ve put it on hold before that too. Yet at last, I’m finally done and I only want to know more about the lands beyond Westeros and their people. It was very much worth it. Full review to come.
Jareed
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Too excited for this book especially now that an excerpt has been revealed accompanied by an astounding illustration which accurately represents Martin's vision of what's in it for fans of the Realm. =D

Aegon atop his dragon Balerion the Black Dread
Petra
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
My current state ( before publishing the book)

After:
Update:(Spoilers all over the place)
Done waiting, didn't get much sleep though until I finished reading.
First of all, I think we can all agree that we would rather read The Winds of Winter than this

But since there's nothing to be done about that, let all of us collectively (including me) stop hating on George and enjoy this great book.
The world in which the Song of Ice and Fire takes place is HUGE and very very old!!
My current state ( before publishing the book)

After:
Update:(Spoilers all over the place)
Done waiting, didn't get much sleep though until I finished reading.

As I said: HUGE!!!!

So publishing a companion book is inevitable because there is no way that our favorite author can cover all the history and geography involved in his books.
The book is written by a maester of the citadel, so naturally we don't get answers for everything, and sometimes the book even raises more questions than it answers (view spoiler)
However he did expand on many things, such as Asshai, Yi Ti, we even get insight into the history of the Free Cities.
And there were some timeline clarifications, and as a result some fan theories went up in flames (view spoiler), but it did fan the flames of another fan theory (view spoiler)
As for Westeros, we get a very detailed history, starting with the Dawn Age and ending with Robert's reign.
Plus the artwork is amazing, especially since it's how George envisions the world.
I mean the Iron Throne on the show is cool and all

BUT can it compete with this??????:

Plus there are illustrations of all the great castles of Westeros,

How cool is Dragonstone?!

of some of the great battles,

and of the faraway lands of Essos, my personal favorite: the mysterious Asshai

Oh and did I mention DRAGONS!!

The most important thing in this book might be the detailed listing of every Targaryen king.
So whether you decide to read it cover to cover, or chapter by chapter according to your level of interest, The World of Ice and Fire is a must read for every fan of the original series.

Bookwraiths
Mar 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews

Does George R.R. Martin’s epic fantasy masterpiece A Song of Ice and Fire even need an introduction?

Hell, no! If you aren’t a devoted lover of the book series, then, no doubt, you are a follower of Game of Throne on television. (And if you aren’t, what have you been doing the last decade and a half, huh?) So this guide to Martin’s Westeros will, most likely, be a book that you have been eagerly awaiting or, at least, one you've been a little interested in, and you’d probably like to know if i
Lyn
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This could be considered The Silmarillion of the Ice and Fire series and to some extent there are many similarities between Tolkien’s massively ambitious backstory and this. Both provide depth and further explanation and development of an impressive, awe inspiring world building by their creator. But whereas Tolkien’s work is more lyric and fable like in its approach, reveling in the mythic and legendary, Martin’s history is just that, a history of his creation of the civilizations and peoples of Westeros a ...more
leynes
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
EDIT: Strap in yo seatbelts because Fire and Blood is coming out this month, and ya gurl is fucking shooketh!

HOLY GUACAMOLE, THIS BOOK SNATCHED MY WIG!

I never thought it would take me over two months to read this illustrated encyclopedia on Westeros and the lands beyond the Sunset Kingdom but hot damn, this book is thorough. Just FYI: I'd only recommend it to people who are absolutely trash for the book series. This is nothing for the occasional reader, this is for hardcore fans who would/>
HOLY ...more
Esther
Oct 08, 2014 marked it as to-read
Man, there is a reason why George Martin is doing this. Leave him be, if you want the books to be good then stop harassing the poor man! He's got enough on his plate already, and us hating and commenting harsh stuff to him isn't gonna help. At least give some appreciation as to what he has done for us fans. Stop complaining and just wait.
PS: I pre-ordered this book. I'm looking forward to more of Westeros. Thank you very much, George Martin. =_=|||
Mike
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
description

To his most esteemed and gracious lord, Robert Tommen the first of his name, King of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men...

Thus begins a nifty in-universe history book about the World of Westeros (and beyond). But just who are the Andals, and Rhoynar, and First Men? Those of you who have paid attention while reading the Song of Ice and Fire books will know a bit about them. The First Men were the first humans to enter Westeros. Thousands of years later another wave of immigration brought the iron toting And
Natalie Monroe
George R.R. Martin is a freaking genius.

You get hints and glimpses of the world beyond Westeros and Slaver's Bay in the A Song of Ice & Fire series, but only after you've read this volume do you truly understand the staggering weight of it. There're are so many countries (Skagos, Butterfly Isles, Asshai), each with their own history and culture, it's a wonder George can remember it all.

George R.R. Martin is a freaking genius.

It also provides a comprehensive history of the lay of the land pre-Targaryen rule, ranging from the children of the forest to the battle between the Andals and the First Men to everyone who died when Aegon the Conqueror came. Notable Houses get their history listed out too, so we get a full blow-by-blow of the bloody Targaryen Civil War and the subsequent Blackfyre rebellions. (view spoiler)

If you're like me and praying to the old gods and the new for George to finish wrap up the series, this'll tide you over for now. A bit dry (it's technically a history textbook), but a must-read for ASOIAF fans.
S.E.
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Devoted (and I mean hardcore) fans of ASoIaF
Shelves: asoiaf
Having read all the excerpts that were released before the official publication of this book, I had been fervently anticipating this "encyclopedia" for months.

Before I dive into the review of this book, I would like to address some of the comments I saw on this page. Now, while I understand the frustration of fans who'd rather see Martin finish off the main series, I vehemently disagree that this book is nothing more than "garbage" "filler". (I had been a fan of this series since 199
Chris
4.5 stars. This was better than expected, even with the hype. At first I hesitated to buy it. I mean, why do I want to sink this kind of money into one of GRRM's distractions? All that does is encourage him to work on stuff that isn't The Winds of Winter. Right?

That, and I'm not even sure how much of this he wrote. He has endorsed it heavily, and I know that he's very protective of his material. So that kind of won me over, and I added it to my Christmas list. At least it isn't a sno
Geri Reads
Loved it. But I'll be holding off rating and reviewing until my hard copy arrives because this book, while great on audio, needs to be seen and grasp with your hands to fully appreciate it. Apart from that, this was a treasure. I'm so in love and obsessed with this world and this book fueled my love for it even more.

Informative and sprawling in its coverage...I wish I read the hardback version first before the audio. It would have been even more magical.
Ben
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First off, all these 1 star reviews before the book even came out (and even after) are just people upset with the fact that Martin has once again published something that is not Book 6.

To them I say... well lets just put it kindly, shut up!

Anyone who is a fan of Martin and the ASoIaF Series should know before hand that this does not progress the story of the actual novels and your beloved characters are not going to make appearances. Read this book for what it is and you
Celeste
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
So, I spent almost six months reading this book. That length of time would seem to indicate that I was trudging through it without finding any enjoyment. But that couldn’t be further from the truth. I had been told by a reliable source (Petrik) that this was a book to be savored in slow, small bites, so that’s what I did. I read ten or twenty pages a week, treating it more like a textbook than a work of fiction. That was exactly the right approach for me.
“It is said with truth that every building is/>
“It
Terence
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
The World of Ice and Fire is quite the interesting book that tells the history of Westeros as well as other parts of the world. Since the book is listed as on going history rather than a novel I'll list out what I think was the good and the bad.

The Good

- The first and foremost thing that is good about this book is the artwork. The artists did a truly phenomenal job.

bad.
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Some cool stuff in here, and it really gives an idea of the scope of GRRM's research and world-building. Not sure I want to tackle the Targaryen history right away. Give me a history of the Starks, damn it!
Shivam Chaturvedi
Let's face it, this is a history book. So essentially there are only two reasons you'd want to skim through these pages

- One, you are a freaking Song of Ice and Fire maniac, and are willing to gorge up any and everything that George RR Martin has to offer. Which in this case is the complete history of the land of Westeros, with some insights on Essos and Sothoryos as well. Or

- the surreal artwork. Littered across these 326 pages are some of the most beautiful Ice and Fire illustrations I have seen. N
Jason Koivu
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
I have a bookshelf for "historical fiction," but not one for "fictional history"...probably because, besides this, I've only ever read one other of its kind. That would be The Silmarillion. The World of Ice & Fire didn't seem quite as dry as the former, but this is still a history book and yeah, it is a bit dry. However, there was plenty to enjoy for GoT fans. If you're really into the series and want to know more of the backstory to the characters, races, lords, nations, etc, this will be right up your alle ...more
Alina
Wow! This was such a complex work, with magnificent illustrations and a history so complex that it could easily pass for reality. I'm really impressed and I was very glad to be able to return to ASoIaF's world :)

Is it just me or does this read like an Epistolary Novel? 1 11 Apr 30, 2018 03:31AM
Hey! I've seen that before! 12 99 Feb 21, 2016 06:54PM
high bar 4 57 Jan 24, 2016 09:27PM
Valar Morghulis--...: The World of Ice and Fire encyclopedia 19 104 Apr 27, 2015 08:18PM
A Song of Ice & F...: World of Ice & Fire- Discussion of pg 60-110 15 126 Feb 22, 2015 02:20PM
White Elephant Gift 6 42 Feb 06, 2015 06:36AM

• Inside HBO's Game of Thrones: Seasons 3 & 4
  • Inside HBO's Game of Thrones: Seasons 1 & 2 (Game of Thrones Book, Book about HBO Series)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel, Volume Three (A Song of Ice and Fire: The Graphic Novels, #3)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Hedge Knight II: Sworn Sword (The Tales of Dunk and Egg, #2)
  • Game of Thrones: A Pop-Up Guide to Westeros
  • A Feast of Ice and Fire: The Official Companion Cookbook
  • The Book of Swords
  • The Wheel of Time Companion
  • The Compleat Ankh-Morpork: City Guide
  • The World of the Witcher
  • Knife Sworn (Tower and Knife Trilogy, #2)
  • The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Chronicles IV: Cloaks & Daggers
  • God of Clocks (Deepgate Codex, #3)
  • The Encyclopedia of Fantasy
  • Other Worlds
  • Dragon Age: The World of Thedas Volume 1
George R.R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

A Song of Ice and Fire (7 books)
  • A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)
  • A Clash of Kings  (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2)
  • A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3)
  • A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4)
  • A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5)
  • The Winds of Winter (A Song of Ice and Fire, #6)
  • A Dream of Spring (A Song of Ice and Fire, #7)
“No man can say with certainty what the future may hold. But perhaps, in knowing what has already transpired, we can all do our part to avoid the mistakes of our forebears, to emulate their successes, and to create a world more harmonious for our children and their children, for generations to come.” 16 likes
“IT IS SAID with truth that every building is constructed stone by stone, and the same may be said of knowledge, extracted and compiled by many learned men, each of whom builds upon the works of those who preceded him. What one of them does not know is known to another, and little remains truly unknown if one seeks far enough.” 10 likes