Start by marking “Razor's Edge (Star Wars: Empire and Rebellion, #1)” as Want to Read:
Razor's Edge (Star Wars: Empire and Rebellion, #1)

Razor's Edge

(Empire and Rebellion #1)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  2,063 Ratings  ·  295 Reviews
Times are desperate for the Rebel Alliance. Harassment by the Empire and a shortage of vital supplies are hindering completion of a new secret base on the ice planet Hoth. So when Mid Rim merchants offer much-needed materials for sale, Princess Leia Organa and Han Solo lead an Alliance delegation to negotiate a deal.

But when treachery forces the rebel ship to flee into ter
Published September 24th 2013 by Del Rey (first published September 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Razor's Edge, please sign up.
Joshua The second book Honor Among Thieves by James S.A. Corey came out earlier this year (March I think). The third book will be coming out next year around…moreThe second book Honor Among Thieves by James S.A. Corey came out earlier this year (March I think). The third book will be coming out next year around the same time. However its really just a trilogy in spirit and not true interconnected stories from what I understand having only read Razor's Edge. (less)

Alejandro
As exciting as a "Star Wars" story should be!

This is the first novel part of a "Star Wars" book event called "Empire and Rebellion".

The event will consist of three books, each one centered heavily on each of the "Big Three" of the original "Star Wars" saga, Princess Leia on this very novel, later Han Solo on a book expected for early 2014, and finally Luke Skywalker on a novel announced for 2015. However, due Disney's buying of Lucasfilms, this trilogy-like books got separated in the sense tha
Bob Milne
Jul 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: space-opera
Okay, so we all know that stories within the Star Wars expanded universe can be hit or miss. In fact, Timothy Zahn is about the only author I've found to be consistently entertaining, which is why I was excited to see some big name authors stepping in to explore the universe.

First up for the Empire and Rebellion saga is Martha Wells, with her Princess Leia focused novel, Razor's Edge. As a vehicle for exploring Leia's character, it works rather well. We really get to see her as a leader, as a po
Althea Ann
Nov 23, 2013 rated it liked it
I received this book through Goodreads' First Reads program! Thanks to Goodreads and the author!

This was the first Star Wars tie-in book I've read since the original Alan Dean Foster ones, Back In The Day. But I'd heard good things about Martha Wells and was curious to read something by her.

What most struck me about 'Razor's Edge' was how well Wells captured the Star Wars characters. You could definitely vividly 'see' and 'hear' Leia, Han, Luke, &c.; it was all very true to the films.

Howeve
Miriam
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good stuff! Now I feel like watching "Star Wars" again.
Katie
I've been meaning to read Martha Wells forever. This is so not where I would've expected to start with her, but WHY NOT?

I also never expected to get into Star Wars novels twenty years late for my generation, but, again, WHY NOT? Twenty years ago, I was all about Star Trek and read all of those books, and I guess that took over the sci fi portion of my brain. But I really liked The Force Awakens, so here we are!

And I enjoyed this. It's set between the first and second movie. It was maybe a little
Ashley
Razor’s Edge is the first in a loose trilogy of books commissioned in the Star Wars Expanded Universe* designed to let bigger name sci-fi authors play around with the characters in this world, and also to spotlight each of the ‘Big Three’ in their own novels. Each novel can stand on its own, but they all take place in the time between Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, after the destruction of the first Death Star. Razor’s Edge is Leia’s novel, and while I thought it did a nice job with high ...more
Alex Ristea
My first foray into the Star Wars Expanded Universe could have gone better.

This book wasn't terrible, but it wasn't anything special either. Honestly, I read it because I'm looking forward to the other two books in this series by James S.A. Corey and Kevin Hearne (though I've heard many good things about Martha Wells and have been meaning to read her original fiction, too).

First, the good things:

- Female author, female protagonist, female narrator. Fuck yes.

- The sound effects were off-putting a
Rebecca ♥ Warner, Kishan, Magnus ♥
Just realized that I never reviewed this book, and didn't even rate it! I wonder how I could have missed that. I remember finding it a rather pointless side adventure. I don't really care about Star Wars novels that aren't closely connected to the movies. But I decided to try this one because it is by Martha Wells. 2.5/5
Chris
I received a free ebook ARC copy of this book from NetGalley. Thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.

3 stars, but was almost 2.

I had some really mixed feelings about this book. At times, I enjoyed it. At other times, I just wanted it to be over.

I'll start with the cons:

1. Describe describe describe. This was heavy-handed. When every nut and bolt and widget is described down to the corners, the story loses momentum. Or never gains any. And
Amanda
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
So. Much. Fun. So much good old Star Wars fun! So refreshing for the Extended Universe, that has been bogged down by so many mediocre post-RotJ novels.

This novel (first in a trilogy) is set in between Star Wars and Empire. Being set in that 3 year time frame doesn't lend much leeway in how big the story can be and that's just fine by me. In fact, after decades of warlords, doomsday contraptions and resurrected Sith lords, this space pirate adventure is just what the EU needs.

Wells understands
Bailey Marissa
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully in-character book that finally addresses Leia's guilt over Alderaan.

Suggest at least 12 or older for some language, and a few sensual scenes (but thankfully they both act like the adults they are and stop the thoughts before it gets too inappropriate)
Wendy
Speculation continues to fly as news and rumours permeate the internet about the new Star Wars trilogy. Meanwhile, the books and comics have suspiciously returned to the past. The Star Wars expanded universe is vaaaaaaast, yet, surprisingly, very little of it has explored the ins and outs around the original trilogy.

Razor's Edge takes place shortly after A New Hope with the rebels in desperate need of a new secret base. Leaked information puts their attempt to set up on Hoth in peril, and we fi
Wealhtheow
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Shortly after A New Hope, Princess Leia and Han Solo are on their way to negotiate for resources from a smuggling cabal when Imperial warships abruptly appear and attack. The rebels just manage to escape, but they've lost several crew members and are shaken to realize that someone on board must have passed information along to the Empire. They don't even get a chance to deal with this before they come across a crew of Alderaanian pirates attacking a merchant vessel. Leia is horrified that any su ...more
Tony
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-wars
Pretty boring. I think there were too many characters that I just didn't care about and I couldn't really keep track of who was who. It would mention a character and I would have to stop and try to remember if that was a Rebel member or a pirate. I knew that pretty much all of the characters would have no long term significance so I wasn't invested in them.
Rena
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
That was a fun book. Not my favorite but it was fun.
Seregil of Rhiminee
Oct 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Risingshadow.

Martha Wells' Razor's Edge is the first book of the Empire and Rebellion series. Two more books (Honor Among Thieves by James S. A. Corey and a currently untitled book by Kevin Hearne) will be published in the near future. The protagonist of Razor's Edge is Princess Leia Organa.

Several Star Wars books have been published over the years, but most of them aren't connected to the original Star Wars setting or are only loosely connected to it. I've noticed that m
DiscoSpacePanther
Razor’s Edge by Martha Wells was one of the last Star Wars stories published as part of the old Expanded Universe (EU), which was recategorised as the “Legends” continuity following the Disney takeover of Lucasfilm.

The novel was intended to be the first of a trio of books set in the period between the Battle of Yavin (at the end of the original 1977 Star Wars movie) and the Battle of Hoth (from The Empire Strikes Back), with each book focusing on one of the main three human heroes of the origin
Milo (BOK)
The Review: http://thefoundingfields.com/2013/09/...

“An excellent read. Martha Wells gets the Star Wars franchise back on track – a lot of fun is to be had here with a great focus on Princess Leia, making Razor’s Edge a book that fans will love.” ~Bane of Kings, The Founding Fields

ALONG TIME AGO, IN A GALAXY FAR, FAR AWAY....

"Times are desperate for the Rebel Alliance. Harassment by the Empire and a shortage of vital supplies are hindering completion of a new secret base on the ice planet Hoth
Leni Iversen
Princess Leia was my childhood hero from I first saw A New Hope at the age of 5. She was pretty much the only badass woman I saw in a movie until I was somewhat older and became acquainted with Sarah Connor, and, even later, with Ripley. So there you have my background for this review. I am not an expert on Star Wars lore, and I have in fact read no other SW book so far. I'm just someone who watched the original trilogy countless times growing up, who wanted to be like Leia, had a crush on Han S ...more
Conan Tigard
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Razor's Edge is a fairly exciting tale that takes place in the world of Star Wars between episodes IV and V. The story revolves around Princess Leia and Han Solo as they end up in the hands of pirates. Luke Skywalker does appear in this book, but mainly as a supporting character. There is a wonderful image of moist of the main characters in this book and it is beautifully painted.

This story is about Princess Leia and the captain of an Alderaan ship that has turned to piracy after their planet wa
Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: David Green, Star Wars fans!
Recommended to Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah* by: Alejandro
Unlike living, breathing people, figureheads were made of stone and incapable of mistakes; Leia wasn't certain how long she could bear that weight. Failure at some point seemed inevitable, and she hated to fail.

Leia asked, "Is that why you stick around? The thrill of destroying stuff with me?"
Han's sideways glance at her was hard to read. "One of the reasons."

Razor's Edge is the first book in a new series set in between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes back and focuses particularly on Leia and
Marly
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
Razor's Edge is a straightforward and self-contained adventure, and thank God for it.

(view spoiler)
Khurram
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was great to see Leia as the main character of a book. Han, Chewie and Luke are also in the book but are side and supporting characters more than anything. I wanted to give this book 3 and a half stars, but having Leia as the centre character sort of edged it up rather than down for me.

This is the first book in the Empire and Rebellion series. It is set 2 years after Star Wars: A New Hope. It starts out with Leia leading a rebel mission to buy materials to complete construction of a certain b
Iris
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book I've been searching for. Since I've gotten into Star Wars and all of the EU that entails I have looked and looked for one that shows Leia and Han working together; and this is it. It takes place between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back and gives you a grand adventure, showing us just how well these two work together and just how much they hate to admit it.

Leia is feisty and in command and Han is her valiant protector and they cooperate well enough when they're in the clear and even be
David Monroe
I don't read a lot of Star Wars EU books, but I'm aware of the recent criticism of them. That they have mostly abandoned character for plot and ever-increasing danger. If that is your crisism too, then Martha Wells' Razor's Edge subverts that. It's a character-driven, bottle story, with little impact to anyone but the characters directly impacted by its events.

Razor's Edge is the first in a Lucas stunt-cast trilogy. All three will be written by established Fantasy and SF authors (Wells, James S
Jerry
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In recent years, the Star Wars Expanded Universe has veered into inanity...but, Martha Wells brings back everything that made the franchise great in Razor's Edge. Set between Episodes IV and V, this features Han, Leia, Luke, Chewbacca and crew as we came to love them in the old-school films. Even if some of the recent EU books have frustrated you, you should definitely check this out. Let's hope that the franchise continues the trend...especially with the next celluloid installment due out later ...more
Scott wachter
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
it's almost like editorial remembered this franchise was supposed to be fun.

Martha Wells dials the timeline all the way back to a few weeks after the end of episode 4 as leia and hand tangle with pirates and imperial spies.
there's not much story-wise, and most of the new characters are just names on a page but it feels like a return to form for the franchise. The characters are in a younger, more raw, more badass state. Just a fun little adventure romp.
Donna
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This is my first Star Wars book....ever ... and I loved it. It was definitely entertaining and helped my 12 hour shift go fast and it made it more enjoyable. I did the audio and I loved that it had sound effects which surprised me because I usually find sound effects distracting. I loved how I could hear ships powering up, weapons, Chewy, R2D2, and more. I also enjoyed the tension between the princess and Hans Solo. I look forward to reading more of this/listening to more.
Justin
Solid, fun, but doesn't do much to move the needle. It's nice to touch back with the characters we love before they became SOMETHING ELSE. It's REALLY great to see all the interesting female characters in this one.

Sara J. (kefuwa)
Huhu. That was such a fun audiobook! Not sure whether I would've enjoyed it more/less if I had read it though. This makes me feel like picking up some Star Wars books again... I was really into the EU books in the 90's. Lel.
The Expanded Univ...: RAZOR'S EDGE - January 2014 Holocronies Book Club 5 38 Jan 19, 2014 06:02AM
Mile Hi Sith Academy: Razor's Edge by Martha Wells 2 10 Nov 22, 2013 07:38PM
  • Honor Among Thieves (Star Wars: Empire and Rebellion, #2)
  • Crucible
  • Scourge
  • The Last Jedi (Star Wars)
  • Riptide (Star Wars)
  • Maul: Lockdown
  • Mercy Kill (Star Wars: X-Wing, #10)
  • Winner Lose All (Star Wars)
  • Kenobi (Star Wars)
  • Siege (Star Wars: Clone Wars Gambit, #2)
  • Ascension (Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi, #8)
  • Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor (Star Wars)
Martha Wells has written many fantasy novels, including The Books of the Raksura series (beginning with The Cloud Roads), the Ile-Rien series (including The Death of the Necromancer) as well as YA fantasy novels, short stories, media tie-ins (for Star Wars and Stargate: Atlantis), and non-fiction. Her most recent fantasy novel is The Harbors of the Sun in 2017, the final novel in The Books of the ...more

Empire and Rebellion (2 books)
  • Honor Among Thieves (Star Wars: Empire and Rebellion, #2)
“Leia fixed her with the steely expression that was usually effective on everyone but Han Solo,” 0 likes