Start by marking “Sleeping Keys” as Want to Read:
Sleeping Keys

Sleeping Keys

In her first collection since the Costa-winning Tilt, Jean Sprackland looks back at endings and beginnings: the end of a life, or of a marriage; old homes lived in and left, new homes discovered. There are poems that speak of the paralysis and bewilderment of knowing something is over, and of the strangely significant, almost votive nature of the things that are left behin ...more
Published September 5th 2013 by Cape Poetry

To ask other readers questions about Sleeping Keys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleeping Keys

Julia
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. It is a deceptively easy read – I read it the first time virtually in one sitting. The language feels light and airy – but there is something compelling and haunting about these poems. The poems are often domestic in theme (which to be honest I am not always keen on) but Sprackland pulls it off with panache – bringing a sense of wistfulness (or loneliness) and other worldliness to subject matter that other poets would balk at – for example the biscuit tin and keys o ...more
allbooksnoheart
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful and clever collection of poetry. the language lingers on the tongue in echoes I really loved reading them all though particularly Moving the Piano and The New Order
Victoria Grigg
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The first poem got under my skin. She has a light touch, but the poems resonate.
Jennifer Brumby
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Borrowed from the library, renewed after three weeks. In other words the author creates lightly crafted, significant poems which are worth reading, re-reading and thinking about. Carefully chosen words from a wide vocabulary, and topics and perceptions which are relevant today.
Cat
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really rather lovely. I've neglected poetry for a few years now so I was worried that I wouldn't understand it so readily. I was wrong. Sprackland writes beautifully, elevating the everyday and even providing household clutter with a sense of elegance.
Sally
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I find poetry books hard to review like short stories collections. Some I liked, some I just read because they were the next one on the page and some I loved.

Out shopping in Bath I went to Waterstones and stumbled upon their sale section (could have bought lots more than I actually did) and thought not only did this book look good but it sounded good as well.

On the whole I thought this poetry book was brilliant (but then I haven't read much poetry) and definitely one I shall be returning to in t
Angel
Charlotte Newbury
May 08, 2018
Michael Sellars
Nov 15, 2016
Jean Sprackland is a poet and writer. She is the winner of the Costa Poetry Award in 2008, and the Portico Prize for Non-Fiction in 2012. Her books have also been shortlisted for the Forward Prize, the TS Eliot Prize and the Whitbread Award.

Jean is Reader in Poetry at Manchester Metropolitan University.

She is a trustee of the Poetry Archive, the world’s premier online collection of recordings of p