Start by marking “Bad for You: Exposing the War on Fun” as Want to Read:
Bad for You: Exposing the War on Fun

Bad for You: Exposing the War on Fun

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  80 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
SHOULD U.S. COMICS BE BANNED?

“SATANIC” HARRY POTTER BOOKS BURNT

PLAYGROUNDS POSE THREAT TO CHILDREN

TEXT-MAD YOUTH LOSING WRITING ABILITIES

CHILD SUSPENDED FOR BRANDISHING CHICKEN

SOCIAL WEBSITES HARM CHILDREN’S BRAINS

STUDENT ARRESTED FOR “PASSING GAS” AT SCHOOL

These are all real headlines screaming about the terrible stuff that’s out there . . . stuff that’s supposed to be B
Published 2014 by Henry Holt and Co. BYR Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Bad for You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad for You

Scott
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book should be required reading. It is all true stories about stupid people having control doing oppressive, totalitarian, and unconstitutional things to children, sometimes with impunity, told in a manner that is both humorous and scary.
paula
This review is of an ARC.

A little sloppy. Dangling asterisks, spelling errors and consistent use of "it's" instead of "its" WILL make some readers crazy. Citing study results without conveying the name, date, or sponsoring institution (not even in the bibliography) chips at the book's credibility. BUT. The topics are interesting, the tone is engaging, and the book introduces important concepts (media panic, correlation does not imply causation, flaws of self-reported surveys, etc) and uses logi
Noah
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great read about the "War on Fun" and how children across the nation and the world have been restricted from doing many different things because they are supposedly dangerous or harmful to children. Although it is also a large opinion piece, it also presents a myriad of facts and is a great read. I definitely recommend it to anyone who is interested in this sort of thing.
Elizabeth Hobson
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a fun book. Really well researched stories of all kinds of bad things - comic books, video - and many other kinds of games, cell phones - anything that might present kids with opportunities to experience fun. Love this one. Will be book talking it for summer reading, for sure!
Mark
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very good book. Throws a lots of stats info at us after warning us not to let stats quoters confuse cause and effect with correlation. Quick read. Are we becoming a country that stifles creativity and restricts our youth too much?
Stewart Tame
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is, perhaps, a bit on the simplistic side, but then again, it's not really aimed at the almost-50 demographic. My library had this shelved with the YA titles, which sounds about right. It's only my lifelong interest in the subject matter that prompted me to check it out.

So this is a book about moral panics and fear of whatever it is the kids are into these days. Among the various topics covered are the so-called corrupting and/or harmful influences of comics, fantasy novels, videogames, Dun
Ken
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was drawn to Bad For You, released in 2014, because it appeared to be about the exact topic of my 2001 thesis: moral panics over youth culture and juvenile delinquency. In 100 pages of text, I reviewed how the press has portrayed comic books, rock 'n roll, Dungeons & Dragons, and video games as causal to the corruption of youth.

With the exception of rock 'n roll, Bad For You covers these topics in five broad categories of activities that children are discouraged or barred from enjoying: co
Alan
Sep 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Helicopter parents, nanny states, and their ubiquitous victims
Recommended to Alan by: That eye-catching cover and topical theme
Bad for You could be very good for you, but—seriously—don't let that put you off. Cleverly disguised as a graphic novel (the promiscuous mingling of drawings and text being, of course, one of the many things that self-appointed experts have claimed are bad for you), this slender volume actually contains a whole series of lively, well-researched and well-illustrated essays about "moral panics" through the ages—and why uncritically accepting fearmongers' claims is probably worse for you than any o ...more
Claudia
Loved this! Nothing makes kids (or anyone) more passionate than telling them they can't...can't read comic books, can't play D&D, can't skateboard, can't play on the playground...

Pyle does a terrific job of searching down and fleshing out sories of movemets designed to 'protect' kids, which are really about control, and (MY WORD), disrespect children.

He does an excellent job of seating each of his 'bad for you' campaigns in history...going back to the names and leaders, and quoting people in
Bill Habeeb
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I wish I had bought two copies. Why? Because I’m constantly wanting to show something I’ve just read to a friend… But when I do, I can’t get them to give
the book back.

"Bad for You" is a Bizzaro World look at truth presented in a way that feels like you aren’t reading to get smarter. Full of irony, surprising bits of history, and yes — all those things that we do that we’re told will destroy our minds and turn us into psychopaths, but somehow don’t. If you have kids, read it. It’ll save you from
Steven Jacke
May 23, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a look at all the times adults have criticised the fun things kids like to do, from comics and video games to social media to the printing press and even the written word.

This book is a blend of comic book and normal book, which helps because sine of the material is dry. (But warning: An e-ink reader is not a good option). It is thoroughly researched, and probably has plenty of examples you've never heard before (with footnotes, which I appreciate)

But I don't know if this book would chan
Tracey
Spotted this on the library shelf and it sounded interesting.
Complete with a lurid cover reminiscent of the classic 1950's EC Comics, this middle-grade book takes a look at all the stuff that is supposed to be bad for kids/teens (comic books, video games, skateboarding) and whether or not it really is. Surprisingly well researched, with many historical references, this engagingly illustrated and pleasantly snarky book would be a great resource for social studies teachers or anyone wanting to ch
705georgia
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 42
This is such an amazing book! Bad for You is an extremely interesting book that kids will love! Exposing the lies and silliness of "experts" and and disproving the theories of misguided parents, Bad for You explores everything you thought would hurt you- and more! With statistical evidences, anecdotes, and comics, Bad for You is truly awesome. One of the best books I've read all year!
Liz
Sep 09, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was overall okay. I felt like it contained a lot and could have been better organized. Otherwise there were a lot of great concepts that I think kids would be interested about and I liked the comic book formatting of it.
Edward Sullivan
An informative, entertaining look at the many things stupid adults have tried to keep kids from enjoying and experiencing.
Blaine Morrow
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great-ya-reads
Excellent summary of issues that seem to set adults against youth: comics, censorship, play, education, technology, and communication.
Michele Karmartsang
Amy
May 28, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Can I See Your I.D.?: True Stories of False Identities
  • Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: Donner Dinner Party (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #3)
  • Lovers' Lane: the Hall-Mills Mystery (A Treasury of XXth Century Murder)
  • Wild Ocean: Sharks, Whales, Rays, and Other Endangered Sea Creatures
  • Amelia Cole and the Unknown World
  • Frida  Diego: Art, Love, Life
  • Zombie Makers: True Stories of Nature's Undead
  • The Case of the Good Boy (Bad Machinery #2)
  • Prison Island: A Graphic Memoir
  • Sniffer Dogs: How Dogs (and Their Noses) Save the World
  • Master of Deceit: J. Edgar Hoover and America in the Age of Lies
  • How the World Was: A California Childhood
  • The Great American Dust Bowl
  • Primates: The Fearless Science of Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, and Biruté Galdikas
  • Saving the Ghost of the Mountain: An Expedition Among Snow Leopards in Mongolia (Scientists in the Field Series)
  • Words Onscreen: The Fate of Reading in a Digital World