Start by marking “The Good Life (The Good Life #1)” as Want to Read:
The Good Life (The Good Life #1)

The Good Life

(The Good Life #1)

Twenty-two year old Roxie Golightly is a fun and carefree spirit...until she marries a wealthy man and her role as a trophy wife leaves her isolated in a condo with an ironing board and an obsessive desire to impress people.

When her marriage ends after seven years, Roxie's identity is buried under layers of furniture polish and piles of designer shoes. She doubts she can e
Published April 9th 2013 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published April 3rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Good Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Life

Start your review of The Good Life (The Good Life #1)
Angie - Angie's Dreamy Reads
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This Review was Posted at Angie's Dreamy Reads!!

5 SMASHING INEFFABLE STARS

**Definition of ineffable: Too great or extreme to be expressed or described in words**

"Your future is an unwritten script. Make it award-worthy."

Firstly let me say that reading The Good Life was exactly what I needed. It was an absolute breath of fresh air. It left me feeling invigorated and happy. This book fell into my lap at the perfect time. I had just come off of a couple rough reads, that I did not enjoy and was loo
Beth
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
5 HUGE, WONDERFUL, AMAZING, I-need-to-think-of-more-awesome-words, stars!!!

I was asked to beta read this book by a mutual friend of Jodie's and I'm so glad I did!!!!

************************ SPOILERS***********************

I will admit it, I was in a book slump. A big one, so I was a little worried that my current blah-ness toward books was going to dictate how I felt about this one, especially by a new author. I was hesitant, but I turned my Kindle on and dove right in and once I did, I couldn
Geri Reads
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Geri Reads by: Lady Heather
4.5 stars!

Once in a while, you find a little under-the-radar book or in this case, recommended by a GR friend, and read it and ended up loving it. This is one of those books.

Roxie Golightly had a bomb dropped into her lap when her husband of seven years asked her for a divorce. The fallout of her marriage led Roxie to reevaluate her life. With a help of a friend, she set out to complete the Good Life List.

This book is funny and I mean FUNNY. Roxie is a wonderful heroine. She's not perfect, far
Lady Heather
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: contemporary romance, second chances
LOVED this story, it was such a fun read!
LOVED the "Good Life List"!!
The writing, and characters were amazing!

Look forward to reading more wonderful stories form this author.
Brenna
Mar 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc

"She would make it happen. One day. New York City was her soul mate. She knew they would eventually meet and live happily ever after."

The Good Life is Roxie’s story. She has been married, living a pretty cushy life in New York City with her husband for the past seven years. All of a sudden, he drops a bomb on her and asks for a divorce. This causes Roxie to take a good hard look at her life and make some big decision about her future. She is in desperate need of a wake up call and h
Carrie
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
He dropped his pants and went in looking like Winnie the Pooh in his red polo shirt. And the worst part of it all - he farted! Loudly and intentionally, at his moment of climax (about 15 seconds in), he farted. He said later he thought it would be a good way to break the ice. Break the ice? Really? Your penis is in my vagina! -Roxie

"No man needs to see you pee, and no man or woman should have to light a flare to find their way around your hoo-hah." -Hope

"Do you think Holly Golightly went aroun
Melissa Brown
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-shelf
I have a new book boyfriend, and his name is Jake. I ADORED this book....couldn't put it down, read it in just a couple of days and was captivated by the story, the humor, the tension and the incredible love story that spilled through the pages.

I highly recommend this book. I laughed, cried, sighed, gasped, smiled REALLY BIG and truly loved it.

Consistent characters, a fun off-beat writing style, references to pop culture (the way to my heart), a swoony male lead, awesome flashbacks, and so much
Autumn Review
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-tours, favorites
When I first saw this book, I thought it looked like a fun story about a girl starting over. What I found was so much more. Yes, The Good Life has some funny and heart felt moments, but I truly loved watching Roxie go through her journey.

There is so much about this book that I can relate to personally. I wouldn't say that I'm a lot like Roxie, but the decisions she makes, her coping mechanisms, and how she treats certain relationships were so familiar to me. Heck, even her high school best frie
Dee Montoya
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Reading The Good Life felt like coming back from an awesome vacation, left me happy, refreshed and hopeful. Roxy is living her dream life in New York city on a beautiful condo with a closet full of fabulous designer shoes, that is until one morning her husband of seven years asks her for a divorce all while she's in the bathroom trying to pee ( great timing, this guy). Roxy felt completely blind sided by this news, and the only way she knows how to deal with life when it gets hard is to run away ...more
Sandy
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story was pretty good but good gawd Roxie was annoying, whiny and made me want to slap her silly. However, she did end up acknowledging this and there were several hilarious, laugh-out-loud moments so after more consideration, giving it 4 stars.
Jamie Sager Hall
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was asked to beta read this book and I have to say I was blown away! Jodie's writing is fantastic. Fan*friggin*tastic!

The plot was great - very interesting and entertaining! I found myself laughing out loud quite a few times. I know some people didn't have the warm and fuzzies for Roxie, but I liked her. I really liked seeing her transition from the beginning of the book to the end of the book.

And Jake. Jodie, you had me at the Adam Levine comparison. Good lord!! Jake is hot and sweet...and ho
Kelly
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
You HAVE to read this book! It’s HILARIOUS!

Roxie’s getting divorced. Her husband announces it one morning as she’s peeing in front of him while he shaves. She’s surprised, to say the least! Without any chance of a reconciliation she heads back home to Michigan at a loss of what to do now. Her carefully planned life has not gone as it was supposed to. Little does she know she’s about to learn a whole lot about herself …

I don’t know where to start with this review and I warn you now – it could get
Lindsay
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 VERY LOVELY AND REFRESHING STARS!!! The Good Life was one of those books that I liked more and more the more I read. It was a very delightful break from the very intense reads I have been on lately. Even though it was quite a bit lighter than my last few reads, it evoked many emotions that had me hooked.

Roxie is a planner. Everything in her life must be planned out. But while she was planning everything out, her husband blinded sided her with his want for a divorce. This ruins all of her plan
Krissy
Cute even though it was really difficult to like Roxie at times.
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I read a HEAVY book earlier in the week and this book had been highly recommended to me. I figured, why not? Let me just tell you, I looooved this book. Such a fun, easy, slightly snarky read!

When a book opens with lines like,
"Break the Ice!? Really? Your penis is in my vagina??"
and
"...farts are never funny when your penis is in my vagina."
I know this book is for me

Roxie is...well...she's shallow. It's not entirely her fault, she's a product of her surroundings, but, such is life. She's a trop
Paula
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I stumbled across this book, bought it, and read it today. I love to find what I call, "book treasures" and this was definitely a treasure. I fell in love with Roxie right away. I could so relate to her and her inner thoughts had me laughing out loud. Jake was just perfect and I loved their relationship and the flashbacks. I would recommend this book to anyone. Loved it!
Tammy  Zautner
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
The first part of the book was a rough read for me. It had its moments where it would pick up and then slow back down, so I struggled. If I based my review off of that alone I would of rated 3 stars, BUT around 75% The Good Life picked up and gave me exactly what I was looking for when I began. I decided to rate 4 stars because I really loved Hope & Jake. I also loved the author’s vision with this story line.

"On the top line she had written The Good Wife. Then she crossed out the word Wife and w
Sleepless in Chicago
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Source: ARC provided by author for honest review

Love. Love. Love. For once a book that I could totally relate to! Not that I'm divorced or anything like that. I do wish I had a Jake living with me, but I've given up on trying to live in my Kindle. But as a twenty-nine year old who loves New Adult books, it's kind of hard to relate to characters who are in their late-teens/early twenties. So to read a book about someone who is almost thirty and doesn't really know where to go in life was very ref
Angela Mclaurin
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved every minute of this story! I am a huge fan of contemporary love stories with humor that keep me doubled over with laughter. Jodie Beau did not disappoint with this story. Her character development was outstanding and she made Roxie into a fallen woman that we can all love and relate to. Roxie's inner dialogue was phenomenal and I loved the transformation she made during the story as she moved from "The Good Wife" to finding "The Good Life."

"Your future is an unwritten script. Make it a
Jo
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
All Roxie dreamed about was living in New York, after seeing Breakfast at Tiffany when she was younger. When she marries her fiance (who's name happens to be Golightly) and they move to New York it seems her dreams have come true, but unfortunately 8 years later she's brought back to reality when her husband announces that he wants a divorce. Faced with an uncertain future and after a good talking to by her 2 best friends she goes back home to Michigan to live with her older brother in their chi ...more
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
5 stars just isn't enough... Amazing read! In my top 3 all time favorites!!!!

Wow wow wow. This book is a breath of fresh air!! It seems to be the going theme that I've read in oher reviews but there just isn't another way to describe this book. I was hooked from begining. I don't think I've EVER laughed so much reading. This book was so beyond good.

Roxie was such a relatable character. Her life got turnded up side down & she handled it with grace. She was funny & strong. I felt like I was growi
Sharon Storm
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
I only read about 30 percent of this book because that was all I could stand. The main character, Roxie, is annoying, self-absorbed and whiny. There were a few brief semi-entertaining sections, which is why I gave it two stars instead of one. Roxie's husband wants a divorce, so she moves back to her hometown in Michigan and is rooming with her brother and an old flame from her college days. She's decided to follow a "good life" list that a friend gave her, and after doing one thing on the list s ...more
Marsha
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Just finished 'The Good Life' I can honestly say, "I loved it". You will laugh out loud, feel sexy and young again. Maybe even at times find a little of yourself, remembering moments you shared with a best friend, but most of all feel warm.

Jake and Roxie's ongoing love affair as Roxie movies toward finding herself pulls you into their story, which makes for a great writer. Jodie Beau did an outstanding job.

This is one book you will not want to pass up or even share as a gift with your best frien
Rene
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was not expecting this. I was in a slump and a friend was in a slump. She was looking for something funny. I searched my Kindle and came across this and said "this one looks funny". Took my own recommendation and read it. OMG! Absolutely loved!!!
Gina Basham
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fun read. There were some very funny situations and dialog. A nice romance with an edge. Well written. Engaging characters. A starting over story that a lot of people can relate to. I would recommend this book.
Holly
Jul 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
This was a decent end-of-the-year book to read. Liked the idea of having a good life list ( maybe I should make one up for 2014). My favorite was Jake---what a sweetie:-)
Duda
Loved it!
Such a sweet story, a really fast read!
Shannon McCrimmon
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this one just as much as All Good Things.
Lisa
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars, the story was cute. Pretty predictable. If you want a cute, quick read. This is it. :-)
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
This review was originally posted to Jen in Bookland

After reading Jodie Beau's short in the Shiver anthology and loving it I went right out to pick up The Good Life. I finally had time to read it and it was a pretty good read. Roxie did start to get on my nerves by the end, but I still enjoyed the book.

Oh Roxie whatever shall we do with you? She is one of those ladies who wants everything to be perfect at all times. She is kind of a control freak planner and she gets so wrapped up in what other
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Perfect Block (Jessie Hunt #2)
  • Never Never: Part Three (Never Never, #3)
  • Never Never: Part Two (Never Never, #2)
  • Never Never (Never Never, #1)
  • Tapestry
  • Call Me Evil, Let Me Go: A Mother's Struggle to Save Her Children from a Brutal Religious Cult
  • Melt With You (A Totally '80s Romance, #1)
  • Christmas in the City
  • Happy Birthday to Me (Birthday Trilogy, #1)
  • Stars in His Eyes
  • Dogwood Alley
  • The Royal Nanny
  • Captivated by You (Crossfire, #4)
  • Somebody's Daughter
  • False Step
  • The Older the Man, the Smaller the Speedo
  • Sluta aldrig gå - Från gatan i Sao Paulo till Vindeln i Norrland
  • Entwined with You (Crossfire, #3)
I'm a wife, mom, waitress, book nerd, Chapstick addict, and a really bad driver who still believes in happy endings and can't walk in high heels. Writing is what I do when I'm avoiding other things...like cleaning.

I once had big dreams of being a Hollywood screenwriter.

But then I met a boy and got distracted.

Three years later we met another boy, this one even cuter.

The three of us are now livin

The Good Life (2 books)
  • Good Things Come (The Good Life #3)