Start by marking “Someplace to be Flying (Newford, #5)” as Want to Read:
Someplace to be Flying (Newford, #5)

Someplace to be Flying (Newford #5)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  5,062 Ratings  ·  203 Reviews
'They're supposed to live on the edges of society - sort of a society unto themselves'

At the beginning of the world there were only the animal people: Raven, guardian of the pot that contains all of life's mystical forces; the unpredictable crow girls; Coyote the trickster who cannot resist an urge to stir the pot...and a vast assortment of others.

One wet August night, cab
Mass Market Paperback, 620 pages
Published 1999 by Pan Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Someplace to be Flying, please sign up.

Emelia "Dreams Underfoot" Karen. But each book is a stand alone.

Arielle Walker
Charles de Lint's books are always a perfect antidote to all the hatred and horror of the world - not because he shys away from it, no, but because his characters are so full of warmth and his worlds so infused with hope that for a little while everything seems possible again.

Suffice to say I will be reading even more of his stories than usual for the next while.

This one kind of deals with an apocalypse of sorts, or at least the ending of a world, but also reminds us that sometimes an end is not
Jason Wyatt
Jun 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: modern fantasy fans
Shelves: already-read
This was the first Charles de Lint novel that I had ever read, and it's an interesting place to start. I had honestly never even heard of the author before. Strange, considering that he's been writing this Newford series for nearly two decades...

and it's a travesty that none of my fantasy-reading friends apparently knew about him either, because he's an excellent writer.

Basically, de Lint started creating a world with a series of short stories published in random magazines and whatnot. It's larg
Jamieson
Feb 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is a myth that is as old as time. The world was created by Raven, the dark bird of mystery, as he stirred magic in an old black pot. The pot created more than the world: it created the Animal People, spirits as old as time itself. They are the First People and they roamed the land, able to change forms.

Out of the pot came the Blue Jay, the Wolf, and The Crow. There also came the Coyote, the Trickster. Always up to no good, he is the outcast of the First People. Most of his mischief is harm
Emelia
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Someplace to Be Flying is a tale of Lily, a photojournalist in search of the First People, who supposedly reside in The Tombs; The slums of Newford, a place filled with myths of The Kickaha Tribe and a place of lost dreams. Lily is brutally attacked one night while searching for "the animal people" and finds herself being rescued by knight in shining armor, or in this case in a beat up Chevrolet gypsy cab, Hank; An odd sort of man who has an odd past. Hank and Lilly soon find themselves getting ...more
Lila
Dec 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mythic-fiction
This wonderful, magical and thought provoking novel opens with a quote from the song "Wyoming Wind" from Kiya Heartwood:

“So I asked the raven as he passed by,/ I said ‘Tell me, raven, why’d you make the sky?’/ The moon and the stars, I threw them high,/ I needed someplace to be flying".

The story starts like a thriller. Cab driver Hank see a woman being assaulted in a dark side street and stops to help her. The woman, Lily, is a reporter who is doing research on the rumoured "Animal People". The
Alissa
Nov 10, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book could have been good. The premise, that "animal people" live around us in some fantasy world that intersects with the real world, was intriguing.

Ok, so there are about 200 characters (slight hyperbole), and de Lint gets so bogged down by trying to make them all interesting that he fails to make *any* of them interesting.

Then there's the plot: apparently some of the animal people want to reclaim some holy relic and take over the world. Um... I guess? The actual climax of the story is *
Elizabeth
Dec 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
in the middle of this mess, don't judge just yet!

Though I'd never read Charles de Lint before, I liked Someplace to Be Flying so much that I went out and bought three more of his books when I finished. De Lint's prose had some thin spots where the story stretched to transparency and I could see his hand moving the characters and action, but the tale was so entertaining that I barely cared. He created a very compelling world that I didn't want to end with the book.

Someplace to Be Flying combines
♥Xeni♥
I always feel so sad finishing one of these books. But at the same time I feel uplifted, and like magic really exists in my own world. It's an interesting mix.

Once more, this story is competely different from the other Newford books. In this one we get an interesting set of characters, characterized by their animal sides. These 'animal people' say that they were there long before us (the 'normal' people) and came from the beginning of time. It's not a new idea, but the way that de Lint integrat
Margaret
Lily, a photographer, is searching for the rumored animal people when she's attacked, and Hank, a cab-driver for criminals, stops to help her. But instead of helping he's attacked as well, and then two crow girls drop from the sky.

According to some Native American mythology, the world began when Raven stirred his pot, pulling out the earth, the sky, and the animal people. In Newford, the animal people still walk the earth. And some humans have animal people blood running through their veins.

Some
Melanti
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This is a re-read for me.

Oddly enough, for the longest time, I thought this was a book about a teenage boy, and figured I must not have liked it as much as his others since I didn't remember anything about it besides that. A year or two ago, I somehow realized that I'd gotten books confused (I do this all the time with de Lint for some reason), and that it wasn't entirely sure which one this one was.

So, I was really, really happy when I got started reading and realized that this was the one th
Endicott Mythic F...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Someplace To Be Flying - Who's Reading?/Discussion 7 20 Nov 03, 2015 04:10PM
  • The Wood Wife
  • One Lonely Night
  • Finder (Borderland, #6)
  • Welcome to Bordertown (Borderland, #8)
  • Fear
  • Ill Met in Lakhmar/The Fair in Emain Macha
  • Black Heart, Ivory Bones
  • Tam Lin
  • Elsewhere (Borderlands, #4)
  • Trustee from the Toolroom
  • Hannah's Garden
  • Thomas the Rhymer
  • The Paper Grail (Christian Trilogy, #2)
  • Tamsin
  • The Silent Strength of Stones (Chapel Hollow #2)
  • The Gift
  • The Wild Swans
Charles de Lint is the much beloved author of more than seventy adult, young adult, and children's books. Renowned as one of the trailblazers of the modern fantasy genre, he is the recipient of the World Fantasy, Aurora, Sunburst, and White Pine awards, among others. Modern Library's Top 100 Books of the 20th Century poll, conducted by Random House and voted on by readers, put eight of de Lint's b ...more
More about Charles de Lint...

Newford (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Dreams Underfoot (Newford, #1)
  • Memory and Dream (Newford, #2)
  • The Ivory and the Horn (Newford, #3)
  • Trader (Newford, #4)
  • Moonlight and Vines (Newford, #6)
  • Forests of the Heart (Newford, #7)
  • The Onion Girl (Newford, #8)
  • Tapping the Dream Tree (Newford, #9)
  • Spirits in the Wires (Newford, #10)
  • Widdershins (Newford, #11)
“Let me give you some advice: Try to approach things without preconceived ideas, without supposing you already know everything there is to know about them. Get that trick down and you'll be surprised at what's really all around you.” 42 likes
“But what the evil people do, that's their responsibility. The burden they have to carry. Sure, when we see 'em starting on causing some hurt, we've got to try and stop 'em, but mostly what the rest of us should be concerning ourselves with is doing right by others. Every time you do a good turn, you shine the light a little further into the dark. And the thing is, even when we're gone, that light's going to keep shining on, pushing the shadows back.” 40 likes