Start by marking “The Love Game (The Game, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Love Game (The Game, #1)

The Love Game

(The Game #1)

A New York Times and USA Today bestseller!

His challenge? Make her fall in love with him.
Her challenge? Play the player.
Until life changes the rules of the game.

Maddie Stevens hated Braden Carter on sight. Arrogant, egotistical, and the playboy of the University of California, Berkeley, he's everything her brother Pearce has taught her to despise. So why, when the girls cha
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 321 pages
Published March 27th 2013 by Emma Hart

To ask other readers questions about The Love Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Love Game

Farah *Professor Dean's Beauty*
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a Fun read!

4.5 stars!

Loved this book- was a quick fun read!

If you liked the movie 'How to loose a guy in 10 days' and 'Two Can play that Game' than this book is for you :D

Braden Carter is a 'ladies man', a wham bham thank you maam sorta guy... The ultimate Playboy. He is handsome, a charmer and he basically uses woman for sex.

Maddie Stevens hates men like him. Period.

When Maddies friends dare her to make him fall in love with her, easy peezy!

"Maddie Stevens. Your mission, should you choose to accept it.”
"
Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog
Four Stars

“Maddie Stevens. Your mission, should you choose to accept it.” She grins and puts her hand out. “Is to play the player at his own game. Do you accept?”
I inhale deeply, every bit of my mind screaming at me to say no and run. Play the player. “Accepted.”

So this book was brought to my attention yesterday and as soon as I read the description, I wanted to read it. I don’t know. This was exactly the type of book I was looking for: A little angst, a strong heroine and a player that neede
Amanda
 photo da3b031d345be1fa23a11bdd86be7717_zps5qkubftf.png
Items ticked off: 20

Why I still -YES, STILL! - hate New Adult, part. 4

She's not hot enough to bang though, so she won't be around for that long.

Because in New Adult, we separate the main female characters from other female characters by categorizing them as 'bangable'.

"If I'm gonna play this guy at his own game and make him fall in love with me, he's gonna respect me while he does it.”
“And that, honey, is why you are the perfect girl for the job.”

Because in New Adult, it is always the
• Lisa •
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 PLAY THE PLAYER STARS.

A game of love where both sides are being played ... Oh yes, I knew from the blurb that I would fall hook line and sinker for this story.

Here's the formula for this book ~ One insanely hot male, one gorgeous female, college, parties, crazy friends, misunderstandings, falling in love, dual POV, easy peasy writing style all combined together to make Lisa one happy reader.

Maddie and Braden are one CUTE couple, problem is they both have their own agenda and are so involved i
Akanksha❤ Søren♰
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Akanksha❤ Søren♰ by: ATran
"Did you, you know, blow his whistle?”
“Did you suck his lollipop?”
“Well, did he bite your burger?”
“What, on earth, is that?” Kay tries and fails to get the words out,
“It's, licking, um, y'know.” Megan shakes her head and laughs.
“Okay, so was there bean flicking?”
“Did he play with the bait while he went fishing?”

Cute book, lovely characters. I liked them all, looking forward for the next book in this series.
Only the whole 'how the planned/made' the bet was immature, appart from that the book had
Mo
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Technically, I should steer clear of NA books. I am 48. I have a son who will be 18 soon. But I cave in now and again and find a gem. And this was a gem of a book. I really enjoyed it.

Braden and Maddie are both 19, studying at the University of California, Berkeley. She is originally from Brooklyn.

Am I actually doing this? I was under the impression that college meant growing up, but I was wrong. I feel like I’m thirteen again and trying to trick my lifetime crush into admitting he’s crushing o
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5 Stars!

Well-Written--check
No cheesy dialogue--check
No annoying heroine or hero--check
Great supporting characters--check
No over-done storyline--check
Some steamy sex--check
Standalone, no cliffhanger, with a HEA--check

Ding, Ding, Ding.......we have a winner.

I really enjoyed The Love Game. It was like the movie How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. It was entertaining--I pretty much read it from beginning to end in one sitting.

Maddie and Braden are both in college. With the help of their friends, respe
Mariℓina
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it

I really liked it.. I'm sure Megan and Ashton are the next couple.. woohoo!
All the secondary characters were really fun to read about and i hope we get a story from Abbi' s POV.
The book was a fun read, very easy, with a good flow, not overdone or perplexed, not too emotionaly charged either -except on some issues that complications were really a necessity- and also carried a a vibe of familiarity.
Last but not least the quotes alone you can gather from the girl talks are hilarious.

Buddy Read with
♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥
3.5 Stars for me!

Braden is a heartbreaker, a player and the girls want to teach him a lesson!!! Maddie is the girl for the job!! Just don’t fall in love with him Maddie ♥

So, Maddie is challenged by the girls to play the player - make him fall in love, have sex and then meanly dump him……….Braden is challenged by the boys to make her fall in love with him so he can get the one thing he wants from her – sex!!

Will the rules of the game change? How will it end?

“I know its game over – but not in the
 ♥  Barb ♥
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Love Game *4 Stars*

His challenge? Make her fall in love with him.
Her challenge? Play the player.
Until life changes the rules of the game

heart pics photo: Heart Heart.jpg

The story starts out at Berkeley College. Braden, 19, gorgeous, arrogant, well-known womanizer and Maddie, 18, sweet, innocent girl with a past. Maddie makes a bet with her friends that she can make Braden fall in love with her within 30 days and in the mean time, Braden makes the same bet with his friends. They call it "Hump and Dump" or otherwise known a
Catarina
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Say hello to Maddie and Braden.
She is a beautiful girl, with a troubled past and a very hard time trusting in other people, opening up just for her best friends.
Braden is the ultimate college playboy that uses girls as the same speed he changes his underwear and he share his best-friends with Maddie’s best-friends so he knows who she is and he’s attracted to her. Like apparently almost every other guy is campus.
One night Maddie’s friends decide to do a bet: Make Braden fall in love with her in
Debra
Feb 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Sweet story and a fairly quick read. Too bad there were so many cliché sentences towards the end; otherwise I would have probably given it a 4 star rating...

~ 3.5 STARS.
Gitte TotallyBookedBlog
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Jenny: While we both pondered what to read next, we felt we needed something a bit lighter, with a little angst but something quick and fun and this one certainly delivered didn’t it Gitte?

Gitte: Did it ever Jenny! I laughed myself silly and swooned like crazy. It was just what we needed. A light romantic read with a bit of angst thrown in.

Jenny: The game is simple: For the girls, they challenge Maddie to “play the player”. Braden is the man about campus, bedding anything in his wake and well, h
Jamie
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED IT!
A_Ryan
2.5 "meh" stars.

I don't know why I just couldn't get lost in this story. It sounded so awesome...reluctant, fake relationship set up (yay!), a cocky, hot studly- man on campus (yay!), a cynical heroine (woohoo!) and the promise of a fun read. I so desperately wanted to love this.

But I just couldn't feel the attraction between the two MCs. And I didn't understand their motivations or reasoning in relation to the bet. She was to sleep with a guy she apparently hated (and this was something her fri
Jacqueline's Reads
3 Stars

These might be sweatpants, but they happen to fit you really well, especially around that a$$... so if we stop, it won’t be for f&cking McDonalds

BIG Disappointing SIGH

I am sorry, but I JUST.DID.NOT.GET The Love Game and I don’t know why. It had everything I love in a read. Awesome cover? Check. Man-whore? Check . Steamy tension? Check. College setting? Check.

So why did I not enjoy this like so many reviewers?

I.DID.NOT.LIKE.THE.PLOT.

Yep, that pretty much seems it up. Let me rephrase
Vikki ~ *squee* lite ~
This one was ok. I found myself doing a lot of eye rolling. I couldn't understand why Bray agreed to the bet to begin with. He was a player - but an honest one. He might have "humped and dumped" - but he never lead any of the girls on. It just didn't make sense that he would purposely go out to make Maddy fall in love with him. I get the idea of trying to get her in bed, but doing something that purposely hurtful seemed out of character.

In wish Maddy and her brothers situation would have been e
Jess-i-ca ~Sometimes a Gif Witch~
review and rating removed....
Nicla
This is a re-read for me. Originally read this in 2013 but it is a great book to re-read when I want a quick, fun, sweet and light-hearted new adult romance.

HEA (view spoiler)
Cheating/OW/OM (view spoiler)
Push/pull (view spoiler)
Any couple separation (view spoiler)
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jennifer☠Pher☠ by: ATran
Ooooh! I liked it, I liked it, I liked it!! Such a great story! It was like watching a movie while reading. It's a story we have all seen before but this one had it's own little twists and turns and I smiled the whole time I was reading. Two can play this game and both can come out winners. Very well written and I loved all the secondary characters that we all know are going to get their own books! Yeah! The epilogue was only two weeks later but I think it's ok since there will be more books so ...more
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★
FROM THE AUTHOR 3/30/2013 & 4/4/2013:
In case you haven't seen it, the Epilogue and book 2 reveal is up on my blog!
“Yes. There are more books planned - and no, there isn't a sequel for Maddie and Braden. I feel the majority of their story has already played out, so their story will continue with them as secondary characters in Playing for Keeps.
Playing for Keeps is the second novel, a spin-off, and no, I won't announce the characters yet! It's current
Jen
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! It was entertaining and predictable, but that was not a bad thing. It reminded me of the movie How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. Oh and the cover is amazing!

I really liked Maddie and Braden together, they brought out the best in each other. All of their friends were great and fun to watch. I can't wait to read their stories.

This is a book that I definitely recommend!!
Belle
I seriously think I am an epic sucker for books where a player gets played.. this kind of reminds me of "How to Lose A Guy in Ten Days"... and let's just say it is a winner!

Feel good, cutesy, utterly romantic book - give it 4.5
Rachel R. (My Book Empire)
“..when does pretending start becoming real?”

There are always those types of guys who are the so-called ‘players’. The ‘wham-bam-thank-you-ma’am’ guys? Yup. Braden Carter is exactly like that. Ugh how I hated him at first but loved him at the same time! He is arrogant but he is honest. He’s kind of a douche but he’s also sweet. He cares so much for Megan too, one of Maddie’s best friends. The only problem with him is that he likes girls so much that he sleeps with all of them. And boy that’s n
Michelle
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it

Oh, a story that just makes my heart feel good and causes my face hurt from smiling. Nothing too complicated, just two college kids falling into love with each other while trying to avoid it at all costs.

Maddie sees the worst in Brayden. He is slowly working his way through all the vagina's at UC Berkeley and she sees him only as a guy that is out to get his and leave a wake of broken girls behind. So with some liquid courage she agrees to the game. Play the Player. But what she doesn't realize
Katherine Kouklinou
5 PLAYING STARS !!!

“I'm not possessive over you, Maddie," he says into my ear. "I'm protective, and there's a difference. I'd never try to control you or tell you what you can and can't do, but I know every guy in this frat house wants to be me right now-especially Kyle. And you know why? It's because you're so fucking beautiful." My breath catches in my throat. "They'll all want you, but I have you, and there's not a chance I'm gonna risk one of them taking you from me, all right? So yes, Angel
Kelli C ~ Jack Sawyer's Heart
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
this was a good quick read. Maddie sets out to "play the player" on campus by geting him to fall in love, then drop him...on the other side Brayden wagers to get her into bed then drop her...all in just 4 weeks. neither one is supposed to fall in love! predictable, but good....lots of sexual tension, good friendly banter and of course a good dose of Romance.
Deanna❤Pink Lady❤️
This is a cute sweet story!! I give it 3.5 -4 stars.

Braden is your typical man whore frat guy-good looking and arrogant!!. He doesn't do love, he doesn't do dating!!! It's wham bam thank ya mam!!! Maddie is a freshman from NY that comes all the way to California to go to college to escape from her sorrow. Each of them, unbeknownst to each other, play a game, to see who can make the other fall in love, have sex and walk away in 4 weeks- The Love Game. She "plays the player" and he "humps and dump
Carey Heywood
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive an advance copy of this novel for my review. I LOVED The Love Game. I felt as a reader the main and supporting characters were all flushed out and engaging. The premise of this novel is "Playing the Player." You know, 'that guy' who burns through girls without a second glance. Set in California, Maddie is a long way from Brooklyn. She has her college girlfriends to keep her busy.

She meets Braden, their school's 'walking erection' and is instantly turned off. Braden

• April Showers (April, #1)
  • Love Me for Me (Safe Haven, #1)
  • Deeper We Fall (Fall and Rise, #1)
  • Falling for Hadie (With Me, #2)
  • Get Me (The Keatyn Chronicles, #6)
  • Waiting on Forever (Forever #2)
  • Broken at Love (Whitman University, #1)
  • Depths (Silver Strand, #2)
  • The Truths about Dating and Mating (Riordan College, #1)
  • After Math (Off the Subject, #1)
  • Unbroken (Beachwood Bay, #1)
  • Catching Liam (Good Girls Don't, #1)
  • Beside Your Heart (The Heart, #1)
  • The Upside of Letting Go
  • Falling into You (Falling into You, #1)
  • Blackbird (Sometimes Never, #1.5)
  • Documentary (Documentary, #1)
  • Plastic Hearts (Hearts, #1)
Emma Hart is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over twenty novels and has been translated into several different languages. She first put fingers to keys at the age of eighteen after her husband told her she read too much and should write her own.
Four years later, she's still figuring out what he meant when he said she 'read too much.'

She prides herself on writing smart smut

The Game (4 books)
  • Playing for Keeps (The Game, #2)
  • The Right Moves (The Game, #3)
  • Worth the Risk (The Game, #4)
“Fuck this. When life gets hard, ask Google. Google knows everything” 77 likes
“We all have to get our hope from somewhere, and if getting lost between the pages of a deep book gives me hope, then I'll keep on getting lost, all the while hoping that one day I'll have a real love I can get lost in. Because it will happen, to each of us. One day we'll get so lost in love that we won't be able to find our way back out.” 41 likes