Start by marking “Broken Ferns (Lei Crime, #4)” as Want to Read:
Broken Ferns (Lei Crime, #4)

Broken Ferns (Lei Crime #4)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  1,243 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
The island of Oahu is warm breezes, skyscrapers and green mountains—but a daring young thief is out to make a statement, and Special Agent Lei Texeira’s new career is already on the line.

Lei Texeira has made a difficult transition from detective on Maui to the FBI on Oahu—and her first big case as an agent draws national media attention. With her typical jump-first, look-
Kindle Edition, Lei Crime #4, 208 pages
Published January 31st 2013 by Toby Neal (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Broken Ferns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Ferns

Sharon Michael
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it
This is one of those when I wish there were half-stars available. It was a little more than 'liked it' but not a 4-star for me. I've been ambivalent about this series from the beginning, a bit too much 'damaged cop' and emotional/romantic angst for me for the most part, but wonderful background detail of the Hawaiian islands and people.

One of the big attractions of the series for me has been the main character's Rottweiler and the fact that she left the dog to join the FBI was definitely an issu
Amy
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's not often that I've found a book this deep into a series that is as good as all of the others, but this one is. Reconnecting with previous characters has been entertaining. Meeting new characters has been fun too. Who doesn't love a Robin Hood story? I think anyone who has had to work hard to make ends meet while seeing how others don't seem to have to try at all to get richer can sympathize with Consuelo. I think it would be interesting to see what happens with her in the future. Lei conti ...more
Toby Neal
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recently recognized as a Semifinalist in the Best Indie Books of 2013!
Megan
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
'Broken Ferns' by Toby Neal is the second of the Lei Texeira series that I’ve read, the first being ‘Torch Ginger’. Both of them were free on Amazon, and both of which I thoroughly enjoyed. I really took pleasure in the depth that the author has given to the main protagonist. Lei’s struggle with some dark life experiences is touched upon, but she also grows and evolves, becoming a better person – and a better detective – in the process. As a reader I am invested in her wellbeing, even if I don’t ...more
Quillracer
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This fourth book in the Lei Crime series is as strong as the previous entries.

However, it goes in a bit of a different direction than the earlier books. While all have been about Lei, the crime she was investigating was the primary focus of those books. This one is less about the crime and more about Lei as a person and newly-minted FBI agent.

In many ways, the Broken in the title could refer to Lei. She’s not the complete (if troubled) person she was in earlier books. She’s lost the man she love
Nancy Steinle gummel
Broken Ferns by Toby Neal is the second book by Toby Neal that I've read and I like the writing immensely. In this book Kei, who was introduced in the previous book, is now in the FBI after being recruited by her friend Marcella. Kei has bust finished all her privations and was greeted by ber new partner, Ken. They were given their first assignment. A light weight aircraft is stolen from its owner who owned a business on the island of Oahu. They left gratifying all over the place especially in t ...more
Marilou George
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Toby Neal continues her Lei Crime Series with a story that delves into the lives of the real working class people of Hawaii who are relied upon to present to the world a beautiful vista of the islands although they are treated badly by their employers and looked down upon in society. A story of wealth and poverty with a criminal that you will be drawn to and have great compassion for.

Lei, now a FBI Agent, is an amazing character as we have watched her deal with the darkness of her past and the u
Julesy
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I finished the last book BLACK JASMINE, I was so sad at the outcome. However, this book lifted my spirits again. I love Leilani Rosario Matsumoto Texeira. She so unlike any other character I've ever read. So strong, determined, caring, emotional. I love the way she handled dealing with an orphaned teenage girl and a little Chihuahua.

The writer has such a way with words in the beautiful islands of Hawaii. I feel every emotion with every trade wind and scent of hibiscus. I feel as though I a
Julianne
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author in exchange for a fair and honest review. I rated it 4 out of 5 stars.

Reviewed for For Whom The Books Toll
4, Warm

Shirley Dagle
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great series.

Beautiful beautiful Hawaii as a background for this 5th volume in the Lei Texeira crime series by native Hawaiian Toby Neal is still as spectacular as the 1st book.

Lei as a FBI agent who tends to not always follow the rules keeps you guessing as to what she might do next. The story is intriguing but predictable at the same time. There are still some pretty good twists and turns. Her relationship with Stevens is an ongoing problem for her to deal with as well everything else she h
Rowan
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What to say about the latest installment in the Lei Crime Series. How about Wow! I love these books! Ms. Neal has woven another tight, page turner that is almost impossible to put down. She writes so visually that you feel as if you are actually there in all the scenes. The main characters, Lei and Stevens are so well developed that I feel as if they are friends of mine.

I don't want to give anything away, but I will admit to being angry with Lei for giving Keiki to Stevens when she left to join
Jeanette
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome, AWESOME!! That really doesn't sum it up, but it's the best I can do right now. :) I have really grown to love all of the characters, settings and storylines. This one was especially close to my heart because of where it took place - Oahu - my second home. Being able to truly picture the places, streets, and towns was incredible. I love the conflict Lei is having with her FBI job and am really happy about the way the book ended this time and where her and Stevens are in their "relationsh ...more
Bobby Hutchinson
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it

I'm a huge fan of this series. Broken Ferns is the fourth in the saga of Lei Texeira, now a Special Agent with the FBI.

I wasn't quite as enthusiastic about this fourth book as I have been of the previous three. The plot involving a teenage vigilante didn't appeal to me as much as Neal's previous ones. I enjoyed the romantic complications--Lei's longtime love interest, Stevens, is now married--to someone else, and I was intrigued with how the complication would play out.

Lei isn't always likeable,
Becky
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books, own-it
I had just finished Black Jasime Book 3 in the Lei Crime Series and knew I needed to find out what
the next chapter of Lei's life had in store.
Well i started Broken Ferns yesterday and finished it today.
Yes it that good! I cried more with this book than the previous three.
There were parts I was saying NO!!!!
But there are alot of changes that happen in this book.
Accepting things you can not change is a sure sign that someone who has been broken is on the way to being healed.
Some wonderful things
Jessica
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book immensely.

Lei has now been in the FBI for a short time. She is stationed on Oahu. She has sort of put her life on hold. She doesn't want her home to be nice, she hasn't gotten her dog, etc. A strange case draws her back to Maui, where her old boyfriend who has been recently married is living.

She is in mental pain because she thought he'd wait for her. That was unrealistic, but she's not very good at relationships. She has to work her heart past the hurt while solving the case
Cheryl (Collier)
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I had read only one other book in this series and wasn't sure I wanted to read another. I'm really glad I did. The main character Lei has grown up from whom I met before. I truly did not like her much before thinking her too self-centered to be in law enforcement. Even though there are reasons for her many issues I had a hard time believing in her abilities to perform her job or be a friend and lover. She has now gone through even more personal changes but now she is trying to cope with them and ...more
Neeka
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: toby-neal
I thought that the book was really well written... I am happy that "the family that fought so hard to be away from each other" is actually going to get back together...

I find that there are similarities between Lei and myself. It's hard to get over the trauma of certain events - and when you actually do fall in love - you try to sabotage it. I feel for her - I always have. And I can't wait to see the next chapter of her life. Also, very happy that she finally got her pet back. :)
Marie
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
This novel was more about Lai's personal relationships than a mystery. I'm now totally disenchanted with such a weak character. No way the FBI would put up with her for 10-minutes. She would have to be way more mature than she is and learn to follow orders. Hope Ms Neal gets back to writing mysteries because I enjoyed some of her earlier books. This book was weak and predictable with the exception of the ending which was hard to believe.
John Brissette
May 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I purchased this as an entertaining distraction. A fun crime thriller set in my "Hanai home" of Hawaii. It was that. But it also had interesting moments that make you think. Think about consumerism, what makes my "paradise" a paradise to me & what is it's value to others. Some poignant points hit home, especially for those of us who work in or within the scope of the tourism industry. A great beach or pool read that also makes you think. Nice job!
Suzanne DeVlieger
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Best yet

I love discovering new authors and Toby Neal is the best I have read in a long time. I have not yet been able to read the first and second books, but they are on the list next. I have so enjoyed Lei, I have been able to watch her grow in the third and fourth books and I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the next book, hoping to see her again and enjoy the growth of her character and life. Thank you Toby Neal.
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favs
I loved how the first book reached out and grabbed me, held my attention through the entire book, all three sequels have also been just as exciting, I love the characters and story line, I've bought each one the minute I received the email notification it was out! I've read each book within 2-3 days, its so hard to put it down, can't wait for book #5 now. Thanks Toby again, I really enjoy your writing! :)
kenneth  h.  robinson
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Adjusting to Life's Challenges

This book involves a lot of adjusting by the protagonist newly trained at FBI center in Virginia. She must adjust to doing things the way she is being counseled to do by her supervisor as well as doing the "right thing" as she investigates the crimes being committed by folks that have been injured and who feel justified in striking back against those they blame for causing their pain.
Anima
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
Lei grows a lot in this fourth book. She's an F.B.I. agent working a large robbery/vandalism case. Reality hits as she may not be cut out for the demands and protocols required of her. She has a few run ins with Stevens causing my hopes for a reunion to run high. I enjoy the police jargon, as the spouse of a deputy sheriff I find it fascinating. Always hoping for more steamy romance.
James Saunders
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Broken Ferns

I have read all four of the series and I have enjoyed them. The four Grand Ladies of Crime to me 1. Dorothy Sayers, 2. Georgette Heyer, 3. Agatha Christie, and 4. Martha Grimes all have different outlooks with their books and Toby Neal isn't there but she is very good. I have enjoyed this book and I RECOMMEND it. Please keep on writing.
Susan de Gracia
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Neal just keeps getting better and better!

This is the fourth book I've read in the series, and the one in which Lei becomes a real, living person to me, not just a character in a book. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this series, and have already got the next one lined up! In fact, I'm going to start reading it now!
Lisa Godina
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Toby Neal does it again with this continuation of the Lei detective series. Lei is now working for the FBI and has to capture the Smiley Bandit... a modern version of Robin Hood in Hawaii. Toby maintains Lei strong attitude while dealing with matters of the heart, reconnecting with family, and adjusting to a new work place and a judgemental supervisor.
Teresa
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
WOW! I loved this book so much more than any of the others and I didn't think that could happen. The storyline drew me in immediately and I had to pull myself away. I don't want Lei and Stevens' story to come to an end. Truly a must read!
BeckyMG
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the book as an easy read. Felt the author did an excellent job of exposing vulnerability and imperfections in some of the characters that I have come to know through other books in this series. Also appreciated the lovely descriptions of beautiful Hawaii.
Latisha
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! This has turned out to be a very good series. And of course it left me wanting more. Lei is turning out to be a very likable character. I find myself rooting for her to finally let herself love and to be loved without reservation. Can't wait to read the next one;)
Suzi Belanger
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
The suffering and anguish that Lei feels is palpable throughout this novel. She is still searching for herself, yet she has an increasingly frustrating time when she finds pieces of herself in the perpetrators of crimes. I am greatly looking forward to see where her next adventure takes her.
  • Maui Widow Waltz (Islands of Aloha Mystery, #1)
  • Murder on Moloka'i (Surfing Detective Mystery #1)
  • The Storm Killer
  • The Gemini Factor
  • A Dead Red Heart (A Dead Red, #2)
  • The Final Arrangement (Flower Shop Mystery Series, #1)
  • The October List - Free Preview (first 4 chapters)
  • Soundkeeper (Hall McCormick Thriller, #1)
  • The Bone Box (Waterman and Stark, #0.5)
  • Red, Green, or Murder (Posadas County Mystery, #7)
  • The Good Daughter (Vista Security, #1)
  • Gone... But Not Missed (Nathan Miccoli #1)
  • Wishing for Wonderful
  • Death By Bourbon (Josiah Reynolds Mystery, #4)
  • The Disappearance of Mavis Woodstock (The Val & Kit Mystery Series, #1)
  • The Ex Who Wouldn't Die (Charley's Ghost, #1)
  • The Advocate
  • Led by Lies: A Lily Blanchette Crime Novel (The Lies Series Book 1)
Toby Neal was raised on Kauai in Hawaii. She wrote and illustrated her first story at age 5. After initially majoring in journalism, she eventually settled on mental health as a career and loves her work, saying, “I’m endlessly fascinated with people’s stories.”

Toby credits her counseling background in adding depth to her characters–from the villains to Lei Texeira, the courageous and vulnerable h
More about Toby Neal...

Lei Crime (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Blood Orchids (Lei Crime, #1)
  • Torch Ginger (Lei Crime, #2)
  • Black Jasmine (Lei Crime, #3)
  • Twisted Vine (Lei Crime, #5)
  • Shattered Palms (Lei Crime, #6)
  • Dark Lava (Lei Crime, #7)
  • Fire Beach (Lei Crime, #8)
  • Rip Tides (Lei Crime, #9)
  • Bone Hook (Lei Crime, #10)
  • Red Rain (Lei Crime, #11)

“The house was done in a classic island style, and Lei couldn’t help but like the wide, deep roofline that sheltered a porch that ran the length and breadth of the house. The lanai was dotted with Adirondack chairs in” 3 likes