Start by marking “Without Reservations How A Family Root Beer Stand Grew Into A Global Hotel Company” as Want to Read:

Published December 2012 by Diversion Books

Be the first to ask a question about Without Reservations How A Family Root Beer Stand Grew Into A Global Hotel Company

Moriah Mason
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-improvement
This is both a good read for Marriot employees who want to learn more about their company culture and an informative read for those interested in the hospitality industry in general. That said, there are some issues.

I feel that the title is pretty misleading. It makes it seem like this book will be about the story of the Marriot family's rise into hoteliers from humble root beer beginnings, and while that story is interspersed through the book, it isn't what the book is about. The truth is, it i
Leslie
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Everyone knows I am very passionate about the company I work for so I was curious to read the reviews from the non-Marriott perspective. Mr. Marriott is truly the antithesis of a CEO like Steve Jobs - they both got the job done but in very different ways.

The funny thing is when I joined the company I thought they were just brainwashing us into thinking this "culture" was reality. I am now with the company eight years and I can tell you it truly is our reality. Likened to Accenture (one of our la
Min
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good life experience or self congratulatory wank? it is a very blurred line. Amazing feat nonetheless
Aziz Hakimov
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book in English which I have read in order to learn about Hotel industry. As I am not sure how should look like the book which every hotelier or hospitality man must read, but the feeling after accomplishing the book is smooth and winning.

The author does not give any practical advices, but he describes his philosophy and experience, and what I liked most he understands that times are different nowadays.

The philosophy what influenced me or I take away with me is the people first
Jim Cerone The Perfect Host DJ MC
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Really interesting to read Marriott's candid stories. There are lessons to be learned in what went well for the company and he's honest about when they lost their focus and tripped up.
Kerry
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was given a free copy of this book for an honest opinion. I have to say that I found this book both interesting and inspiring. Bill Marriott's own personal story is so clearly intertwined with that of the business empire that he helped to build. I was impressed by the corporate culture and strong foundations in looking after their own. The stories of staff or should I say 'associates' looking after each other, guests, ordinary people in need, and disaster victims epitomised the overall culture ...more
Matt
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
After reading this book and learning more about Marriott's "spirit to serve," it's no surprise at all that Marriott is consistently ranked as one of the best employers in the world. And having had the privilege of meeting Bill Marriott a few years ago, I know first-hand how much of a gentleman he is - and I know it's an honor for everyone that has had the opportunity of working for him. The most wonderful thing about this book is that, even more than a collection of memories from Mr. Marriott, i ...more
Summers
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very inspiring in a business sense! I had not known Marriott was behind so many businesses. I really liked all the quotes he used. For example, in the chapter, "Why the journey is the reward," "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." Mark Twain. I'm packing my bags!!

Mitt Romney's review, "...reveals the enduring secrets of his incomparable leadership--a must read for anyone aspiring to build an enterprise, to lead or to succeed."

Book is very well laid out and stays interes
Lori
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Full disclosure: I work for Marriott and read this book to learn more about the history of my company. I found it fascinating to learn about the evolution of the company from 1927 through 2012. Many outsiders may not enjoy it as much, but I personally learned a lot! It's well written and easy to understand. An update is definitely warranted soon to document the acquisition of Starwood.
Rachel
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: did-not-finish
It's probably a good book that I will get to someday. I am a big fan of Marriott and wanted to learn more about him.
Eduardo
Feb 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Thoughts on Interaction Design
  • Power and Influence
  • Control Your Day: A New Approach to Email Management Using Microsoft Outlook and Getting Things Done
  • The Essential Guide for Hiring & Getting Hired
  • Becoming a Manager: How New Managers Master the Challenges of Leadership
  • Managing With Power: Politics and Influence in Organizations
  • At Least You're in Tuscany: A Somewhat Disastrous Quest for the Sweet Life
  • 1066: What Fates Impose
  • Executive Toughness: The Mental-Training Program to Increase Your Leadership Performance
  • The Lean Entrepreneur: How Visionaries Create Products, Innovate with New Ventures, and Disrupt Markets
  • Us: A User's Guide
  • The Safari Companion: A Guide to Watching African Mammals; Including Hoofed Mammals, Carnivores, and Primates
  • Barefoot to Billionaire
  • Unfinished Business: On and Off the Court With the 1990-91 Boston Celtics
  • Open Business Models: How To Thrive In The New Innovation Landscape
  • Get Your House Right: Architectural Elements to Use & Avoid
  • New Venture Creation: Entrepreneurship for the 21st Century
  • Presentations in Action: 80 Memorable Presentation Lessons from the Masters
“Don’t listen to what they say. Go see. — Chinese proverb” 2 likes
“Listening is the single most important on–the–job skill that a good manager can cultivate. A leader who doesn’t listen well risks missing critical information, losing (or never winning) the confidence of staff and peers and forfeiting the opportunity to be a proactive, hands–on manager. Listening is also how you empower people to grow in their jobs and gain confidence as decision makers.” 1 likes