Start by marking “Blood Secret” as Want to Read:
Blood Secret

Blood Secret

From a master of suspense and author of the bestselling Beyond Fear, Blood Secret is a teasingly crafted, nail-biting thriller that's impossible to put down.

Nothing ever happens in Haven Bay, which is why Rennie Carter – a woman who has been on the run for most of her life – stayed there longer than she should.

However, that illusion of security is broken one night when Max
Published September 2nd 2013 by Random House Australia

To ask other readers questions about Blood Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Secret

Jenny
Blood Secret is about secrets, greed and the love between two people. Rennie Carter thought that Haven Bay a beauty seashore community would be a place for her to settle down finally. However, this was not the case. Rennie Carter boyfriend Max Tully went missing, and her life was turned upside down again. No one believes Rennie that Max is in danger, not cops or the small community of Haven Bay. Rennie had no one to help her, so she decided to look for Max on her own. The readers of Blood Secret ...more
MaryG2E
Blood Secret opens with a very graphic and palpably tense episode of road rage visited on 30-somethings Max and Rennie as they go to their friend Trish’s birthday party one Saturday night, in the peaceful hamlet of Haven Bay. An angry teenage boy driving a compact 4x4 harasses them, threatening violence. Later that evening Max is seen going out to his car in the carpark, but never returns. Thus Jaye Ford sets up the events of this gripping psychological thriller.

When Max fails to return home, Re
Brenda
On the night Rennie Carter and Max Tully drove along the beautiful shores of Lake Macquarie toward a friend’s 50th birthday party, the atmosphere in the car was a little tense. But when a teenage driver cut them off at a roundabout then tailgated them to the bottle shop and restaurant, tensions escalated alarmingly. The road rage incident was so over the top, if it hadn’t been so scary the attitude of the young driver would have been laughable. So when they finally stepped inside and joined thei ...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Jaye Ford follows the success of Beyond Fear and Scared Yet? with her third exciting psychological thriller, Blood Secret.

Rennie Carter never expected to stay long in the sleepy Australian coastal community of Haven Bay, but then she met Max Tully, and after a lifetime of running she dared to hope she finally found somewhere she could stay, somewhere she could be safe.
And then one night Max disappears without a trace and Rennie is terrified her past has finally caught up with her - but Rennie i
Phrynne
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book. The story is gripping and well written. I loved seeing a really strong female lead character who actually made genuine life saving decisions instead of blundering into silly situations in order to help the author write a story. It was enjoyable too that the book was set locally in an area which I know well! I will certainly read more by this author.
Jo-Ann Duff (Duffy The Writer)
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Blood Secret by Jaye Ford is a little bit like bolting down the Freeway at a 110k an hour only to realise you have been going the wrong way all along! You think you have the story sussed, and can see the destination, but you don’t.

Cleverly written, this book lays out the main characters, a couple called Rennie and Max who are in love but both have and hide secrets. Big secrets held by them both and their tightknit group of friends in little Haven Bay on the NSW coast.

Rennie is a hard woman, but
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
I found this a very engaging and satisfying thriller. I was hooked by the action in the first few pages – Ford creates tension by using a situation many of us are familiar with - road rage; we can place ourselves in this picture, the tension is real. What a great hook!

This novel is fast paced, action packed and nothing is as it appears on the surface. The characters are likable, earnest, hardworking and real – this is a community that appears perfect, secure and benign to those looking from out
Bronwyn Rykiert
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was good story about a girl with a secret past life that she thinks has come back to haunt her and her special man. It was not a really riveting book but it was enjoyable enough as Max's friends look for him after he goes missing.
Jasbr
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: krimi-thriller
Thriller, bei denen eine Person spurlos verschwindet, finde ich immer besonders spannend. Das ist auch der Hauptplot dieser Geschichte. Obwohl Rennie und ihr Freund Max eigentlich glücklich sind, ist er auf einmal verschwunden.

Der Anfang des Buches hat mich richtig gefesselt, denn schon zu Beginn gibt es eine Begegnung, die den Puls in die Höhe treibt. Leider wird diese Spannung dann aber nicht mehr aufrecht gehalten. Für meinen Geschmack trat die Story dann etwas an der Stelle. Zwar erfährt der
Bree T
Rennie Carter has been in Haven Bay for five years, possibly the longest she’s ever stayed anywhere in her whole life. Previously it’s always been about running, keeping on the move, laying low. Don’t make friends, don’t settle in, don’t get close to people. You never know when you just might have to pack up and leave.

But that changed the day she drove into the small town on the beautiful Lake Macquarie in NSW. She got a job working in a cafe, she begin to make tentative roads towards friendship
Junipa
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this, her third novel, but not as much as number 2. Or maybe I'm just reading too many Jaye Ford books in a row.

The book started well but then seemed, at least to me, to take too long to get to the climax of the story.
Loz
IMPOSSIBLE TO PUT DOWN!
Sherry Mackay
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
DNF. This was just so darn boring! I read the first paragraph and I hated it and I should’ve stopped there. I didn’t give a damn about the characters and their secrets. Just too boring for words. And why the heck is the main character called rennie half the time and Renée the rest of it with no explanation at all. it makes no sense at all! It wasn’t till about page 180 that I was sure it was the same person. (Kidding kinda). And how about that bad guy? I guessed hundreds of pages back who it was ...more
Magdalena
I’ve never been a fan of thrillers. I just don’t have the stomach for blood, gore and gruesome scenes. Don’t let Jaye Ford’s scary titles fool you. Though there is certainly suspense and frightening scenes, Jaye Ford’s books are psychological, character-driven fiction.  Her work might be more akin to the ‘cosy mystery’ genre than to the thriller genre as there is very little that is gruesome in her books, and the scenes unfold organically in a way that is very natural and smooth. In Ford's lates ...more
John
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Jaye Ford has written a very clever and riveting psychological suspense thriller that keeps you enthralled and guessing almost to the very end.

Rennie Carter and Max Tully have been living together as partners in a small town on the shores of Lake Macquarie for the last 4 years. When they are dressing to go to a friend's 50th birthday party things get steamy and serious between them. With a tense atmosphere in the car, the tension increases when a teenage driver tailgates them in a fit of road ra
Simone
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Road rage incidents are always scary - however for Rennie Carter a seemingly 'run of the mill' incident on the way to a party on a Friday night takes on a menacing feel. Rennie has spent her whole life running and can't shake the belief that her past has, yet again, come back to haunt her. Then when her partner Max disappears just a couple of hours later, Rennie knows she can't run and hide this time - she has to stay and fight.

Surrounded by supportive friends in the small community, Rennie sets
Deborah
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read the post in my blog as well. http://www.debbish.com/books-literatu...

Blood Secret is the third crime novel* by Australian writer Jaye Ford. (Another new discovery whose books I will be seeking out!)

Rennie Carter is a survivor with a tragic past who's settled in the seemingly-calm and quiet Haven Bay. Although she's spent most of her life on-the-run, Rennie's now got a job she enjoys, discovered a love of painting, developed friendships and fallen in love with local, Max Tully. It seems she
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-books
I have discovered that Australian author Jaye Ford has a real knack for writing tense psychological thrillers and Blood Secret is no exception. The reader is kept guessing from the moment they open the book. The book is based around the character Rennie Carter, a woman living in a quiet area called Haven Bay. Very little happens in Haven Bay, but one day Rennie finds her life in disarray as her husband suddenly vanishes without a trace. Rennie is deeply concerned for Max’s whereabouts, believing ...more
Helen McKenna
Rennie Carter had spent her whole life running from a violent past when she arrived in the sleepy town of Haven Bay. Initially planning to stay a short while (as always), she was not prepared for the possibility of falling in love with local man Max. Life with him is so good that finally Rennie puts down some roots and allows herself to live a "normal" life for a while.

Despite her contentment Rennie is always on her guard and her instincts smell trouble when she and Max are involved in a road ra
Dana Mitchell
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Diana Hockley
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it

This is the first time I have spent such a large amount on an e-book and I must say, the author delivered. Blood Secret starts dramatically and the pace keeps up. Well-crafted and written, the author has created a very likable – if flawed, and aren’t we all? – characters, in whom, the reader can easily invest concern.

The tension mounts Rennie tries to understand what has happened to cause Max to disappear in the middle of a party. The arrival of his 14 year old son is a surprised complication in
Lesley
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the 3rd book in my Jaye Ford reading binge. I started this book yesterday afternoon and thought I would read for a couple of hours and have an early night as I thought I was tired. Well I finished it at 2am this morning so I guess that means I couldn't put it down. I haven't read very many stand alone books lately as I have a tendency to migrate toward series but these books are terrific. What I really like is the strong female main characters . Yes, they find themselves in horrible situ ...more
Steve
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
2.5 stars. I really can't say why this book didn't do it for me without large spoilers, so I will attempt to use broad strokes. The main character seemed annoying and wooden, and when the villain of the piece was revealed, using his back story and current events left a bad taste in my mouth. The resolution was far too short, and speaking of short, there were 48 chapters, and most of them were only six pages in length, which made the book seem very broken up.
Lisa
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nothing ever happens in Haven Bay. This is why Rennie Carter has stayed longer than she should. But the book opens with Max, her lover disappearing. Could she be the reason Max has gone? Is it foul play or is Max just taking some time out? This book grabs you from the start and never lets go. I love this type of book, especially when the possibilities keep changing. I did not predict the eventual outcome, but have gone looking for the other titles written by this author. Wow!
Jenny
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm pleased to say that Ford's writing and plotting have improved out of sight since her debut, Beyond Fear. Despite the fact that savvy character, Rennie, completely ignored a possible suspect until it was almost too late, this is nevertheless a gripping read. It doesn't have the finesse and twists of Gone Girl, but I believe Ford will get there.
Fibaroobi
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Argh. I've now run out of Jaye Ford books! Really liked this, like the clever structure, intriguing main character. This is the first of her books which deals with an established couple and I thought it was very well done. Again almost impossible to put down- kept on thinking of when I could sneak away to read a few chapters! Will be eagerly awaiting her next book
Marie
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Disappointing. Three is generous, more of a 2.5. Interesting it was but definitely not the nail-biting suspense touted in various reviews. The road rage incident was promising and suspenseful but not the rest, including the climax with the, to me, obvious villain. I would read another by this author though.
Paula Clark
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I found the first part of the story a little slow, however it did establish the characters and their backgrounds well.
Relatively fast paced from there on, however I felt the perpetrator was somewhat expected and it didn't keep me on the edge of my seat as much as her previous books. A great read though :)
Simone Sinna
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it
This is her third book, set north of Sydney she sets up a tense stand off with a road rage guy and then the focus of the rage goes missing. Behind this is his girlfriend's (who we follow) history which unfolds as increasingly unattractive, but also some of the man’s past and where that might fit in. After the early tension it is mostly predictable but a good light read.
Deb Bodinnar
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have read all of Jaye's books now and would have to say I enjoyed this one the most. Twists and turns were great. Won't say too much coz I don't want to give away any secrets!! Get your copy and read it NOW!!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Dark Horse
  • No Place Like Home
  • House for all Seasons
  • In Safe Hands (Grace & Poole, #1)
  • The Kissing Season
  • Half Moon Bay
  • Bloodtree River
  • Hope's Road
  • Heartland
  • Burnt
  • Paper Chains
  • Nobody But Him (Boys of Summer, #1)
  • The Girl in the Yellow Vest
  • Darkening Skies (Dungirri #3)
Jaye was born in Sydney in 1963 and grew up on the Northern Beaches before studying Communications in Bathurst, NSW.

She was a journalist for twelve years, working in radio, print and television in both news and sport. In 1988, she became the first woman to host a live national sport show in Australia, fronting Sport Report on SBS. She also presented evening news on Prime TV in Newcastle.

She has a