Start by marking “A Selection of Oscar Wilde's Short Stories” as Want to Read:
A Selection of Oscar Wilde's Short Stories

A Selection of Oscar Wilde's Short Stories

Oscar Wildes Fairy Tales continue to exert the same pull over the imagination and emotions as they did when he first read them to his children in the 1880s. Written with inspired poetic intensity and sudden flowerings of the matchless wit for which he is so well remembered, the stories combine the wisdom of parables with the impact of drama. I have loved them since I was a ...more
Audiobook
Published December 1st 2008 by HarperCollins Publishers Limited

To ask other readers questions about A Selection of Oscar Wilde's Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Selection of Oscar Wilde's Short Stories

Start your review of A Selection of Oscar Wilde's Short Stories
Paul E. Morph
This short collection of Oscar Wilde stories read by Stephen Fry (oh, wait: 'National Treasure Stephen Fry'... sorry) is superb. Don't misunderstand me; I freely admit that I could happily listen to Fry reading the dictionary, he's such a great reader... but the material here is just as good as the delivery.

Every story included here is beautifully written and very moving. Included here is the story 'The Selfish Giant', which has been a favourite of mine since early childhood. Until I came across
Paul Ataua
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I came across this audiobook version of Wilde's short stories, and was delighted to discover that each story was just about the length of the time of my bus journey to work. I had never read the stories before and presently surprised by how good they are. great narration by Stephen Fry.
Anne
Apr 29, 2015 rated it liked it

I was surprised to recognise two of these stories from one of my old children's story books: The Selfish Giant and The Happy Prince. I thought they were always a bit depressing and noticed that I still feel the same way about them now, along with the other stories in this audiobook.
They remind me a bit of The Little Matchstick Girl; also a beautiful story teaching some important morals, but SO depressing. "And then she just died. The End."

Oscar Wilde's stories are certainly
Hlyan Htet Oo
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wilde (1997) is one of my all-time favorite films in which Stephen Fry palyed Oscar Wilde. Having watched the movie several times, Fry became Oscar in my mind. So, listening to this audiobook made me feel like Oscar Wilde himself was reading his stories to me. I love that! And I also enjoyed the stories. They are lovely and wonderful. Each of these stories has Oscar's wit, genius and philosophy. They are not just for children but for all ages.
Larissa
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Then she gave one last burst of music. The white Moon heard it, and she forgot the dawn, and lingered on in the sky. The red rose heard it, and it trembled all over with ecstasy, and opened its petals to the cold morning air. Echo bore it to her purple cavern in the hills, and woke the sleeping shepherds from their dreams. It floated through the reeds of the river, and they carried its message to the sea.
-The Nightingale and the Rose

Ive been a fan of Stephen Fry for about fifteen years now, so I
David Morris
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A truly outstanding selection of stories. Every single one of them could be applied to modern life and society in some way. For example, the third could be interpreted as a look at martyrdom. The fourth story (about a firework) could be a commentary on self important celebrities who don't do real work. The sixth (and final) story could be a comment on 'style over substance'. I can also recommend getting the audio version, which is narrated by Stephen Fry.
Kelly
Feb 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed these Oscar Wilde children's stories. The reading by Stephen Fry was, of course, exceptional. The stories were interesting and clever, as you would expect from Wilde. What I didn't like was the rampant moralizing. Just because I story is for children doesn't mean it has to bludgeon the reader with a moral. How about art for enjoyment and inspiration, even for children?
August
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't help becoming misty eyed when ever I revisit: "The Nightingale and the Rose" and "The Happy Prince." This is a great book with Stephen Fry's notes. There is also an audio version of Fry reading these stories, which sounds pleasant, but I haven't listened to it beyond the preview.
Kimberly
Oscar Wilde performed by Stephen Fry was an absolute delight.
Peter
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every story is wonderful. A propos for teenagers! OK for smaller children.
Laurence
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Surprisingly plain set of folk stories, almost Disney in character given every bird, statue and firecracker is personified.
Nathalie
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oscar Wilde's stories for all ages' is een ideale verhalenbundel om Oscar Wilde te leren kennen. Het is een bundel van klassieke korte sprookjes en fantasievolle verhalen, gekozen en ingeleid door Stephen Fry.

De notities van Fry aan het begin van elk verhaal maken het ook interessant om verder te lezen omdat je dan meer op bepaalde dingen gaat letten. Ook het enthousiasme van Fry, een notoire Oscar Wilde - fan is enorm aanstekelijk. The Selfish Giant, The Nightingale and The Rose en The Devoted
Tom Schulte
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Following up after reading Last Chance to See, I enjoyed the Last Chance to See (TV series)and was entertained by easy-going and avuncular actor Stephen Fry. So, naturally I turned to this audiobook narrated by Fry to have more of that, as well as learn about these, Oscar Wildes Fairy Tales of talking non-humans (mostly, but not exclusively, animals) from the 1880s. I didn't know there were any! There are witty, imaginative, and entertaining morality tales.

Stories read are:
THE YOUNG KING
Amir Nakar
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
These are very dark and sharp versions of children's stories.
They really aren't for children but rather written as social comment on the relations between the rich and the poor.

The language is both incrediably elegant and childish at the same time - which is really impressive. Also, the writing is rich with descriptions and similies.

The weaker parts are that the morals are pretty obvious and all elements of suspense or "reason to turn the page" are sort of missing, but maybe that's why they're
Sovotchka
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The rating for this book is a bit odd.

While I love "The Canterville Ghost" (that was my first encounter with Wilde ever), I'm not all that convinced by some of the other stories. This makes it three stars for the stories.

The paintings however were really beautiful and well-fitting, and illustrator Nicole Stewart seems to exhibit every ounce of glee in her paintings that Oscar had in his writing. This lead me to up the rating to 4 stars.

I was close to deducting the excess star again, though -
Charlotte
May 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adored this book. Reading Stephen's comments before each story made them, if possible, even more perfect. I was torn between devouring the stories in one lot, and reading one each day becaues of the immense emotional pull each one has. (As it was, I ended up reading one story a day for a few days and then just sitting down and reading the rest all in one happy, tearful lot).

The stories will haunt you. In a good way.
Kai Schreiber
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommended
I didn't like The Young King quite as much as I did the others, but the Selfish Giant and The Happy Prince alone so reliably manage to reduce me to a sobbing mess and offer delight at the same time, that it would seem shabby to award anything but five stars to this remarkable reading of a collection of wonderful prose.

And to those who complain in their review that these are "only" childrens' stories I say "Pooh".
Popup-ch
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, audiobook, fiction
This is a very short selection of some of Oscar Wilde's short stories. Frankly, I was a bit disappointed, as none of the stories exhibit the kind of witty wordplay and verbal virtuosity that he's commonly associated with.
The common theme is class struggle and social commentary, through anthropomorphic everyday objects.
pri
May 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
it doesn't really get much better than stephen fry reading Wilde's 'children's stories'. they're all here. the happy prince, the nightingale and the rose, the selfish giant... and fry reads them perfectly. having heard him read the selfish giant in Wilde, I thought it was fantastic that there was also an entire collection. the audio didn't disappoint.
Lisa H
I found these stories very interesting yet very sad. I love Wilde's style of writing but I am still undecided as to whether I would read these to my children. But that said I would read the original Grimm's to them and these stories aren't nearly as gory. Just incredibly tragic.
Jenn
May 11, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, audio
I think it would take a pretty sophisticated kid to suss out all of Wilde's satire in these short fables, but they're kind of wonderful in their wayfunny and sad, strange and a little magical, both in plot and in language. And Stephen Fry is a delight, of coursethe best reason to listen. ...more
Kate
If I'm honest, I think I love these stories because they're written so beautifully, and in a way I try to emulate when writing myself... Despairingly melancholy in places, but with the very most "good" of intentions. The man was a genius with a silver tongue - the best kind.
Gabriela
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oscar-wilde
So marvellous tales and so a marvellous voice.
Kattia Mora Rivera
Oscar Wilde! maravillosas historias.
Edelhart Kempeneers
Mar 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Nogal moraliserend. Wel goed geschreven (uiteraard).
Buddy
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
listening to Stephen Fry, that beautiful and fragile man, read these funny/sad stories about selfishness and generosity for children... bittersweet.
Claire Gilligan
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
They were good stories, but they didn't have quite the life I was expecting from Wilde. (Also, they were children's stories, but they weren't advertised as such.) Not bad, just not brilliant.
Fernando
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very good stories and a superb narrator
Liam Annis
Feb 12, 2012
Heikster
Mar 30, 2013

• Stephen Fry Presents A Selection of Anton Chekhov's Short Stories
  • The Tales of Max Carrados
  • Heroes: Mortals and Monsters, Quests and Adventures (Stephen Fry's Great Mythology, #2)
  • A Grown-Up Guide to Dinosaurs
  • Dishonesty is the Second-Best Policy: And Other Rules to Live By
  • John Safran vs The Occult
  • The Oblong Box
  • Late Roman Empire
  • Snow White & the Seven Angels (Queerky Tales, #1, Remastered)
  • Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth
  • The Girl in the Film
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet, and author of numerous short stories, and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being ...more