Start by marking “The Price” as Want to Read:
The Price

The Price

Online fiction. Animated short story narrated by the author.

From SF Signal:

In 2006, filmmaker Christopher Salmon really, really wanted to create a 3D CG animated film of Neil Gaiman’s short story, “The Price”. So he created this proof-of-concept short animation to convince Neil to grant him the rights to the story.

Salmon posted his touching proof-of-concept short online.

h
audio/video, 20 pages
Published December 31st 2012 by Silver Fish Productions (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Price, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Price

Start your review of The Price
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
5 Stars!

Because Neil freaking Gaiman! Is there anything written by him that's bad?

This story centers a family with a predilection to taking in stray cats.
And then there is the black cat. Who has no other name than the Black Cat, and who turned up almost a month ago.

description
That cat, my wife had said when he first arrived, is a person.

This is a sad story that brought tears to my eyes. It turns out that the devil visits this family every now and then. When Cat is on the porch and can take him on,
أحمد
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tramps and vagabonds have marks they make on gateposts and trees and doors, letting others of their kind know a little about the people who live at the houses and farms they pass on their travels. I think cats must leave similar signs; how else to explain the cats who turn up at our door through the year, hungry and flea-ridden and abandoned?

We take them in. We get rid of the fleas and the ticks, feed them and take them to the vet. We pay for them to get their shots, and, indignity upon indignit
Isharaque Aornob
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very short story.. But the creepiest enough.
John Velo
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Omg! How does Neil Gaiman do it?! He makes gems out of words, even if it's just over 20 pages! Making wonderful, original stories is so natural to him!

I can imagine this as a perfect campfire story. It slightly reminded me of Ocean at the End of the Lane and that made me miss that world. Plus, this story involves cats (which I'm a huge fan of!).

This was a bit eerie and creepy at times but that's what I love the most about Gaiman's writing. Can't wait to read more from him.
Chichi
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
I didn't love this story because I love cats. *Liar Liar pants on fire!* Ok I did! But mostly love the fact that Gaiman took a Black Cat synonymous with evil and its cousins and made it a hero.
Really sweet story.
Courtney
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Read online at: http://www.bitchwick.com/amacker/bean...

I also viewed it at: http://vimeo.com/56573423#at=975

Both experiences of the story are highly enjoyable.
Eileen
Okay, very short story, but I loved it! Is it because I love cats or because I love Neil Gaiman? Maybe a little bit of both. But he does a great job creating a story in 2400 words that creates atmosphere and leaves you loving cats just a little bit more.
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!
Moataz Ibrahim
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
من إيقاع هادئ لمنزل ريفي لمواجهة مع الشيطان ذاته، هكذا تكون عوالم نييل جايمان.
يغريك ببداية هادئة وأسماء ووصف لقطط صغيرة، ثم يقحم تغيير بسيط تجعل الأحداث تتصاعد حتي تصل في النهاية إلي مواجهة الشيطان.
لطالما آمنت أن الشياطين تسكن القطط - أو علي الأقل، القطط هي تجسيد للشياطين وليست مجرد كائنات سنورية لطيفة المعشر - ، تلك المخلوقات السخيفة والمرعبة. لكن أن تقوم قطة بالتصدي للشيطان، فهذه حبكة لم أتوقعها.
كم بقي لها؟ لا أحد يعلم. ماذا حدث قبل مجيئها؟ ماذا سيحدث بعد رحيلها؟ ولماذا يأتي هذا الشيطان بالأسا
Gladys  and the distant hours ⭐
Ahhh... 😢😢
Mouthful Of Books
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, reviews
Eine wundervolle Kurzgeschichte für Katzenliebhaber. Es ist immer wieder faszinierend wie Gaiman aus einem scheinbar harmlosen Alltagsleben, eine schaurig schöne Wohlfühlgeschichte macht.
Anne
Jul 12, 2013 rated it liked it
I am new to Neil Gaiman, so naturally I 'googled' him. I came across one of his interviews where he mentioned one of his books called The Price, and so here I am.

The Price is about a black cat, aptly named the Black Cat, and it's being narrated by the author himself. And it has a role that is very unlike those of conventional black cats.

At first, reading this story felt like I was slowly sinking into its words. I couldn't really understand what the story was about (as you can see, there isn't an
Fayrouz
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very soft theme at the start: Giving you names and vivid descriptions then out of the blue, hits you with a tiny detail that keeps dragging you with each line, each sentence, each word, to god knows where and then BAAM! It's The Devil.
I've always had this feeling towards cats. So far from fear, not particularly hate either. It's just that in some way I viewed those grotesque creatures as a simulation of the Devil, a version that you get to see, ever so often. But a BLACK cat standing to a Dev
Laila Tarek
Mar 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Incomplete at parts. I mean, I wouldn't mind reading a whole novel as long as I understand what the hell is going on but this was just (??). Overall though, highly enjoyable.
Lauren
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As always, Gaiman has drawn me in and captivated me with his writing, creating vivid images, building suspense and tugging on those heartstrings.
Franci
Extremely glad I listened to this during daylight hours. Excellent dramatization!!!!!!
Maneth Thap
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful short story to listen to before going to bed.

I don’t know where the ideas that black cats are evil and black cats bring bad luck came from. Because after all, a cat is cat.
Amanda
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"I had never seen the Devil before, and, although I had written about him in the past, if pressed would have confessed that I had no belief in him … The figure coming up the driveway was not Milton’s Lucifer. It was the Devil. "

“The Price” is a short story authored by Neil Gaiman that was originally printed in Smoke and Mirrors. It is cast as a “true” story about a cat, the Devil, and a family. It is being animated by Christopher Salmon. You can watch the original proof-of-concept animatic short
Monda
Different. You always expect the black cat to be the evil but here is the surprise when the black cat is who fights the evil. Turning the misfortune into a hero is perfect. I would have liked the story more if it was longer and satisfied me.
Cmoore
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic little video/short story that I found and have enjoyed more than once... such an epic story of a black cat who for some unknown reason has decided to protect the authors house and family from a demon... This story only takes a few minutes of your time and should not be missed!
Aditya Mallya
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cracking short story.
M Liu
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
see guys? my obsession with cats are justified
Robert Cox
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fivahs
The best short story I have ever read.
Rando

• A Rose for Emily
  • A Haunted House
  • The Monkey's Paw
  • To Build a Fire
  • Frosty the Snowman (Frosty the Snowman)
  • The Man In The Moon
  • Frozen: Northern Lights: Let It Glow
  • The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck
  • The Sandman and the War of Dreams (The Guardians, #4)
  • It Wasn't My Fault
  • Goggles: The Bear Who Dreamed of Flying (Goggles: First Bear To Fly Book 1)