Start by marking “The Price” as Want to Read:
The Price

The Price

Online fiction. Animated short story narrated by the author.

From SF Signal:

In 2006, filmmaker Christopher Salmon really, really wanted to create a 3D CG animated film of Neil Gaiman’s short story, “The Price”. So he created this proof-of-concept short animation to convince Neil to grant him the rights to the story.

Salmon posted his touching proof-of-concept short online.

h
audio/video, 20 pages
Published December 31st 2012 by Silver Fish Productions (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Price, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Price

Start your review of The Price
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
5 Stars!

Because Neil freaking Gaiman! Is there anything written by him that's bad?

This story centers a family with a predilection to taking in stray cats.
And then there is the black cat. Who has no other name than the Black Cat, and who turned up almost a month ago.

description
That cat, my wife had said when he first arrived, is a person.

This is a sad story that brought tears to my eyes. It turns out that the devil visits this family every now and then. When Cat is on the porch and can take him on,
أحمد
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tramps and vagabonds have marks they make on gateposts and trees and doors, letting others of their kind know a little about the people who live at the houses and farms they pass on their travels. I think cats must leave similar signs; how else to explain the cats who turn up at our door through the year, hungry and flea-ridden and abandoned?

We take them in. We get rid of the fleas and the ticks, feed them and take them to the vet. We pay for them to get their shots, and, indignity upon indignit
Isharaque Aornob
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very short story.. But the creepiest enough.
John Velo
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Omg! How does Neil Gaiman do it?! He makes gems out of words, even if it's just over 20 pages! Making wonderful, original stories is so natural to him!

I can imagine this as a perfect campfire story. It slightly reminded me of Ocean at the End of the Lane and that made me miss that world. Plus, this story involves cats (which I'm a huge fan of!).

This was a bit eerie and creepy at times but that's what I love the most about Gaiman's writing. Can't wait to read more from him.
Chichi
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
I didn't love this story because I love cats. *Liar Liar pants on fire!* Ok I did! But mostly love the fact that Gaiman took a Black Cat synonymous with evil and its cousins and made it a hero.
Really sweet story.
Courtney
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Read online at: http://www.bitchwick.com/amacker/bean...

I also viewed it at: http://vimeo.com/56573423#at=975

Both experiences of the story are highly enjoyable.
Stefan
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, 2021
This is one of my favorite Neil Gaiman short stories. I am certain I have read it at least 10 times, but this version of both audio and video gave it new depth and meaning. I am sure to return to this this story many more times in my life, including this version.

I highly recommend it to, well, everyone!
Eileen
Okay, very short story, but I loved it! Is it because I love cats or because I love Neil Gaiman? Maybe a little bit of both. But he does a great job creating a story in 2400 words that creates atmosphere and leaves you loving cats just a little bit more.
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!
Gladys  and the distant hours ⭐
Ahhh... 😢😢
Anne
Jul 12, 2013 rated it liked it
I am new to Neil Gaiman, so naturally I 'googled' him. I came across one of his interviews where he mentioned one of his books called The Price, and so here I am.

The Price is about a black cat, aptly named the Black Cat, and it's being narrated by the author himself. And it has a role that is very unlike those of conventional black cats.

At first, reading this story felt like I was slowly sinking into its words. I couldn't really understand what the story was about (as you can see, there isn't an
Fayrouz
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very soft theme at the start: Giving you names and vivid descriptions then out of the blue, hits you with a tiny detail that keeps dragging you with each line, each sentence, each word, to god knows where and then BAAM! It's The Devil.
I've always had this feeling towards cats. So far from fear, not particularly hate either. It's just that in some way I viewed those grotesque creatures as a simulation of the Devil, a version that you get to see, ever so often. But a BLACK cat standing to a Dev
Laila Tarek
Mar 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Incomplete at parts. I mean, I wouldn't mind reading a whole novel as long as I understand what the hell is going on but this was just (??). Overall though, highly enjoyable. ...more
Kaethe Douglas
Apr 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
That's really lovely, that is. It's my favorite Gaiman story, this year, at least.

***

I've had several black cats over the years. The first one ran away quite soon after my father brought it home for me. Sometime in adulthood I realized he was probably hit by a car one one of his jaunts, by when the topic came up in one of the innumerable conversations my mother said no, that he had just disappeared. That was Sneaky.

Spooky's mother was a Siamese, but none of the litter looked like her. It didn't
Manguins
Wendy
Nov 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a great story. I am a sucker for cat stories, and this had an amazing stray cat in it that tackled a demon every night to protect the family who had adopted him, earning him severe wounds over and over again, but also the love and thankfulness of his new family.
Dave
Dec 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Certainly a creative story, but Gaiman wants to have his devil at the exclusion of God.
This read will be quite creepy if you forget that you cannot have a devil without a Creator.
The ending was spectacular as the narrator admits his own selfishness in wondering how long his protector will live.
Lauren
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As always, Gaiman has drawn me in and captivated me with his writing, creating vivid images, building suspense and tugging on those heartstrings.
Franci
Extremely glad I listened to this during daylight hours. Excellent dramatization!!!!!!
Marcelina
Aug 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Campfire story, Quite creepy and a bit heartbreaking-> typocal Gaiman
About animals loyalty, love to people
Calenmarwen
Feb 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Short story, sad and thoughtful. Makes you wonder about the price someone else may pay for you, and the consequences of selfishness.
Amanda
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"I had never seen the Devil before, and, although I had written about him in the past, if pressed would have confessed that I had no belief in him … The figure coming up the driveway was not Milton’s Lucifer. It was the Devil. "

“The Price” is a short story authored by Neil Gaiman that was originally printed in Smoke and Mirrors. It is cast as a “true” story about a cat, the Devil, and a family. It is being animated by Christopher Salmon. You can watch the original proof-of-concept animatic short
Storm
Dec 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Collected in Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fiction and Illusions and M Is for Magic, this story haunted my nights for 2 weeks after reading it. This is a wonderful, dark and heartbreaking story that I'll remember for a long time. ...more
Monda
Different. You always expect the black cat to be the evil but here is the surprise when the black cat is who fights the evil. Turning the misfortune into a hero is perfect. I would have liked the story more if it was longer and satisfied me.
Cmoore
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic little video/short story that I found and have enjoyed more than once... such an epic story of a black cat who for some unknown reason has decided to protect the authors house and family from a demon... This story only takes a few minutes of your time and should not be missed!
M Liu
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
see guys? my obsession with cats are justified
Aditya Mallya
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cracking short story.
Robert Cox
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fivahs
The best short story I have ever read.
Maneth Thap
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful short story to listen to before going to bed.

I don’t know where the ideas that black cats are evil and black cats bring bad luck came from. Because after all, a cat is a cat.

• They're Made Out of Meat
  • A Rose for Emily
  • The Monkey's Paw
  • A Clean Well Lighted Place
  • The Cask of Amontillado
  • Frosty the Snowman (Frosty the Snowman)
  • The Man In The Moon