Start by marking “Walking in This World: The Practical Art of Creativity” as Want to Read:
Walking in This World: The Practical Art of Creativity

Walking in This World: The Practical Art of Creativity

In this long-awaited sequel to the international bestseller The Artist's Way, Julia Cameron presents the next step in her course of discovering and recovering the creative self. Walking In This World picks up where The Artist's Way left off to present readers with a second course--Part Two in an amazing journey toward discovering our human potential. Cameron shows readers ...more
Published September 29th 2003 by Tarcherperigee (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Walking in This World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walking in This World

Start your review of Walking in This World: The Practical Art of Creativity
Barbara Conelli
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Walking In This World is the book you want to start reading immediately after finishing The Artist's Way. While The Artist's Way helps you understand your fears, overcome them and start creating, Walking In This World will guide you through the hurdles of your creative process.

In this book, Julia's essays and tools are much deeper, much more philosophical, contemplative and also personal. She is not afraid to reveal her own weaknesses, or the weaknesses of her colleagues and students. She is
Caitlin
Sep 10, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: creativity
On first reading, I didn't get much out of this book. There is a certain amount of repetition of ideas from The Artist's Way but that didn't bother me - I was after something that would serve as a reminder of the principles of The Artist's Way without actually re-reading TAW yet again - what bothered me was the writing style which I felt needed some serious editing. There are some excruciating extended metaphors there. Really really painful.

But the content is good, and while there is repetition,
Mandi
Dec 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
The format of Walking in this World is probably her best combination of stories that get you motivated and then interjecting tasks to try out for yourself. The Artist's Way was the first and so, in a way, it is the best, but she leaves all the tasks for the end of the chapter. I enjoyed The Right to Write because she put the tasks within the chapter, as she does with Walking in this World, but Walking in this World also has some of the feel of The Artist's Way as well. All in all though, Walking ...more
Debra Leigh
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have used this Cameron book as a follow up to The Artist's Way. Walking in this World focuses on the business and practice aspects of being an artist, and aims to help creative people wed their worlds so that the creative/artist activities can connect to the more practical aspects of publishing, or showing your work, earning income with your talents, staying organized (an especially hard thing, I find, when involved in creative projects!).

I recommend this book whether or not you've read any
Valerie
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've finished the book, that is, I've reached the last page.however, as anyone who has read any of the Artists Way books, this isn't really finished.
What I've learnt from it for now is sufficient for this time in my life, for where I am in my creativity. In a year or some, more or less, I'll be back rereading it again and finding a different message.
I high
Y recommend Julia Cameron's work in all its guises but for newbies, start with the Artists Way.
Linda Martin
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all creative people *everyone*
I love Julia Cameron's "Artist's Way" series. This is the second book in the series.
Roslyn
Jul 10, 2014 rated it liked it
When I first read the Artist's Way a decade ago I thought it was the best thing ever for my writing career. I started this book five years ago and never finished it. I finished it today on a whim and now I can tell you why this book had nothing to offer me--these are great books for people who just want some pop-psychology mumbo jumbo. Lots of white-washing and easy answers to genuinely tough and interesting psychological questions.This book feels good, like your older, wiser friend telling you ...more
Fernando Suarezserna
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this book instead of reading for second time its prequel, "The Artist's Way".

I believe is was the right choice. It's a good refresh of the lessons the author offers in the prequel (one of the most important books I've read), plus she offers a few more tips.

I didn't rate this book with five stars because I'm not fond of Julia's advice on the artist being... a God's tool? The author sees every artist as a God's medium to continue creating. And I find that thought dangerous. I believe that
White
Aug 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
By drawing on the accomplishments of artists, Cameron addresses how to handle some of the more difficult aspects of our own humanness. How to handle anger, investing in yourself, finding a balance without guilt are just a few focuses of this book. While reading this piece I got many connections to Tom Crum's The Magic of Conflict. Cameron instructs us how to change our anger to fuel, how to make the highest potential of your passion, etc.

I love these books. In them are perspective, relief, and
Mary
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Second in Ms Cameron trilogy - the first book Artist'a Way I read a number of years ago with a group of artists and found it very helpful. Reading and working through this second book has once again made a big difference in my attitude and I am gently heading back to my visual art and children's writing.

Highly recommend for anyone who is stuck or facing a block to their creativity...read, do the exercises, think about what you have learned and go forward with your life.
Ruth Bonetti
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Julia Cameron's books have seen me through many desert patches. I've recommended them to friends who agree.
lyndel
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
another in the series to motivate and encourage creativity .... its not as amazing as the first one but certainly can keep you going once you start... walking , literally !
Bloomin’ChickJo
This is a wonderful book & audio book and now my favorite of Ms. Cameron's! No matter what your creative outlet is, this book will offer you guidance and useful suggestions!
Katrina Sark
May 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
p.8 – “We must be willing to get rid of the life we’ve planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” (Joseph Campbell)

p.10 – “A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something.” (Frank Capra)

p.11 – “What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing.” (Aristotle)

p.15 – When we avoid our creativity, we avoid ourselves.

p.17 – “The realization of the self is only possible if one is productive, if one can give birth to one’s own potentialities.” (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
Creativity is
Cherry Coley
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2018
Julia Cameron is a great source of information and bundled creativity. She offers practical solutions to getting unblocked creatively. This book follows some of the same steps and suggestions as "The Artist's Way." which is another of her books. Each chapter is encouraging and offers practical insight with a few funny quotes thrown in. I admit I laughed out loud when she mentioned finishing a "work" that you've been immersed in for some time such as writing a play or novel. She said, "find ways ...more
Hazellie
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way and I try to write Morning Pages as often as I can. I listened to this on audio while I was going out on walks, and it was wonderful to just walk and listen to all the inspiration from this book. I did not work on the course by week, I am in the middle of a lot of other books and projects that are keeping me busy and I knew that coming in, but just being able to listen to the book and be inspired by everything Julia Cameron shares, kept me going. I have ...more
Krista
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
I've read and practiced The Artist's Way several times, and was excited for this continuation. It's not a bad book, but for me wasn't nearly as helpful or insightful as The Artist's Way. There were a few new relevant topics, but the tasks were less fun and inspiring, the writing is often very repetitive, and the stories often feel contrived. There's still worthwhile material here, and I'm glad I read it.
Gail
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love Julie Cameron. After completing The Artist’s Way for the 6th time, I chose to continue with another in the trilogy. While there’s a lot of duplication, I still appreciated the book. It’s an interesting process--life transformation through acts of creativity. It does make me think differently about my interests & efforts.
Lindsay
Sep 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: creativity-art
Not as good as the artist way but if you wish to continue the weekly practice, it's a good read. Just know this one is not as 'light' as the first book but talks about all the negative feelings which might appear on the journey like depression, fear, self-loathing, criticism etc.
Sharon Griffin
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the third in a series of books on creativity and the artist. Though this is a wonderful author on this topic, my disappointment with this book lies in the repetition and unnecessary elaboration of the points made from the first two books.
C.J.
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Walk these paths any day. Cameron has. It's a good meander to follow, and then go out, and plough through with her fellowship in mind.
Mermaid Harmony
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Looooove
Roberta Fish
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review of past materials with some new ideas.
Susan woods
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All Julia’s books will move you forward !
Blant Simonetti
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
quite an interesting book
Barbara Roeckel
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great follow up and reminder of self care that works for me.
Bonnie Church
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help, art, creativity
Her prose is the literary equivalent of a lavender essential oil... she slows you down, gently awakens you muse and stikes the desire to create.
Heather Lowry Marshall
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, self-help
Although not as life-altering as The Artist's Way, it did help me in many ways. While there was repetition from TAW, there were also some good nuggets.
Emily
An excellent second step along the artist's way, continuing the journey that was begun in the first book, but adding new tips and practices that are vital to having a healthy creative life!
Danielle Brusco
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This was pretty much the first book with a just a few new metaphors, and the idea that you should add going for a walk to your arsenal of tolls of being creative. Meh.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The F*ck It Diet: Eating Should Be Easy
  • Writing as a Way of Healing: How Telling Our Stories Transforms Our Lives
  • Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within
  • The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious (Collected Works 9i)
  • Synchronicity: An Acausal Connecting Principle
  • The 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women
  • Anatomy of the Spirit: The Seven Stages of Power and Healing
  • Old Friend from Far Away: The Practice of Writing Memoir
  • If You Want to Write: A Book about Art, Independence and Spirit
  • Edward Hopper: The Art and the Artist
  • Dear Sweet Pea
  • Entering the Castle: An Inner Path to God and Your Soul
  • Galatians for You (God's Word for You)
  • Living Buddha, Living Christ
  • The Amateur Naturalist
  • Among Grizzlies: Living with Wild Bears in Alaska
  • The Impossible Climb: Alex Honnold, El Capitan, and the Climbing Life
  • Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life
Julia Cameron has been an active artist for more than thirty years, with fifteen books (including bestsellers The Artist's Way, Walking In This World and The Right to Write) and countless television, film, and theater scripts to her credit. Writing since the age of 18, Cameron has a long list of screenplay and teleplay credits to her name, including an episode of Miami Vice, and Elvis and the ...more
“FESTIVITY BREEDS CREATIVITY. RIGIDITY BREEDS DESPAIR” 9 likes
“Here’s what I like about God: Trees are crooked, mountains are lumpy, a lot of his creatures are funny-looking, and he made it all anyway. He didn’t let the aardvark convince him he had no business designing creatures. He didn’t make a puffer fish and get discouraged. No, the maker made things—and still does. European film directors often enjoy creative careers, during which their films mature from the manifestos of angry young men to the rueful wisdom of great works by creative masters. Is an afternoon siesta the secret? Is their vita just a little more dolce? We’ve taken espresso to our American hearts, but we haven’t quite taken to the “break” in our coffee breaks. Worried about playing the fool, we forget how to simply play. We try to make our creativity linear and goal oriented. We want our “work” to lead somewhere. We forget that diversions do more than merely divert us.” 7 likes