Start by marking “The Witch from the Sea (Daughters of England, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Witch from the Sea (Daughters of England, #3)

The Witch from the Sea

(Daughters of England #3)

A reluctant bride has just begun to love her volatile husband when she rescues a mysterious woman who will bring terrible danger to them all

Linnet Pennlyon, proud daughter of a sea captain, finds herself in a vicious trap: Pregnancy has forced her to marry the cunning Squire Colum Casvellyn. Once their baby is born, she devotes herself to their son. Yet, little by little,
Published February 19th 2013 by Open Road (first published January 1st 1975)

Start your review of The Witch from the Sea (Daughters of England, #3)
Naksed

DNF at 50%

Cliche, mediocre, and monotonous gothic with a tepid heroine and no hero (the main male protagonist is not even an anti-hero but a straight up villain). Found out after the fact that Philippa Carr is the pen name of Victoria Holt, so it did not surprise me how little I enjoyed the writing style. I was not invested at all and finally gave up at the halfway mark.

(view spoiler)
Sharon
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved every page of this book! I couldn't put it down! And, it was written by one of my all-time favorite authors!!!
Phil Syphe
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found "The Witch from the Sea" better than the first book in the series but not as good as the second one. The pace is fast in this novel, sometimes too much so, as suddenly a character I thought was, for example, aged four is now described as a 10-year-old. But this is preferable to a story that drags its feet.

I admire how the author manages to keep the narrative flow active despite a change of first-person narrator at about the halfway point. This sort of thing doesn't always work, owing to
Regan Walker
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 16th-century
Unusual Story of Treachery and Love

The third in the Daughters of England series, this one is set in the 16th century, beginning in 1588 with the defeat of the Spanish Armada. It’s the story of Linnet Pennlyon, daughter of a famous sea captain who is loyal to Queen Elizabeth. Linnet thinks she’ll marry a gentle dreamer, Fennimore Landor, who forms a trading partnership with her father. But once Colum Casvellyn, lord of Castle Paling, sees her, he makes plans to have her, drugging her to seduce he
Eileen
Monica Hills
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is really a 3.5. I enjoyed reading it and it kept me reading but I was frustrated with this book for several reasons. One it switched characters halfway through the book. It needed to do this but I was not expecting it and it upset me. Second The first main character made a horrible choice and I just wanted to yell at her. I don't want to say what it is and ruin the book but nowadays people are put in jail for what happened to her and she seemed to think it was ok. I have read many Victoria ...more
Lisa Greer
Carr has such an engaging writing style. I read a few of her works... more as Victoria Holt when I was younger, so I wanted to try some of these as well. It's set in the 16th century, and is a gothic mystery/romance. :)

Well, so far, the female protagonist has been drugged and raped by the mysterious Colum and is now in a quandry. Boy, these novels would never pass the feminist smell test these days! Yeesh.
Diane McCarrick
Aug 05, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
This is the second of a series. I didn't like the first one I read and I don't like this one either. It's very, very long and very, very tedious. I read half of it and that probably says far too much about me.
Adriana
Jan 16, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to read a book about a witch. This wasn't what I wanted. I didn't much care for the storyline, but I finished it, which gives it 2 stars.
Bettie
Aug 13, 2010 marked it as off-tbr-and-into-wpb  ·  review of another edition
Stacy
This book was slow for me until about midway into it. Then it just took off and I could not put it down. It is in two parts. Linnet/Tamsyn. Linnet is a young woman who gets raped and then she is forced to marry the rapist. She ends up falling in love with him. After marrying him, she finds out that he has a dark side and many dangerous secrets. While he appears to truly love Linnet, he makes it no secret that as long as she pleases him, there will be no other woman. While out walking on the beac ...more
Artemiz
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2013
Philippa Carr book The Witch from the Sea is an interesting book.
It’s the third book from the series Daughters of England. As with all series you expect some similar story lines, some similar occurrences, but the third book verifies that all her books could very easily be different.

In this third book, there are actually two main characters, two daughters of England. And as in the previous books, the story is very compelling and full of surprises.

Although there were times when the husband and be
Janet
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am re-reading these books in order (When I can find them in order. I do own quite a few of these, but not all.) I enjoyed them very much when I was younger, and although I still remember some of the story lines, it is fun to read them again. However, this wasn't one of my favorites because it is a stretch to me to see how she could be happy with this man. You do need to read even the ones like this though, because otherwise there are gaps in the long story line of Philippa Carr. All of the boo ...more
MaryKate
This DOE novel is a bit different from its predecessors because of its much darker, more Gothic feel. I'm sure the witch aspect of the story has nothing to do with that ;).

We meet Linnet Pennlyon when she's older and of marriageable age (of course) and we see her life change dramatically when she meets Colum Casvellyn (her future husband). We're also introduced to her daughter, Tamsyn, and hear a bit of her story as a young girl and woman as well. This book is full of twists and turns that I did
Tamsyn
May 28, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, novels
The only reason I finished this book is because it was the source of the 'y' in my name. My mom got "Tamsin" from The Return of the Native, and loved it, and the only worthwhile thing we got from this book was "Tamsyn". It's a very dark book, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It is very spellbinding, hard to put down. Mom told me she didn't like it very much. Oh well, we've all read a few books like this, haven't we?
Katrina
Becky
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part of a series of mother to daughter generations stories telling the history of England from Henry VIII to WW II. Fabulous to read them all in order. Each one is a gem; each is surprising and well written.

This one was eerie and as the title suggests, a little mysterious. Great sense of place in the castle on the rocky cliffs.
Cynthia
this book is not a happy ever after book. I usually find the hero has some redeeming quality but not in this story. I was upset with the heroine and her choices. But I did find myself looking for the next book at the library since would not buy the series. 2 stars.
Tammie Elliott
book three of the philippa carr series.
Shivanee Ramlochan
Darkly compelling in spells and starts, but not an overall success in maintaining my interest, this novel is a fair addition to any gothic lit. bookshelf.
Samantha Parker
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Ann
Rather weak. Not up to the first two in the series.
Jo Golding
found it a bit plodding by the end. may not be reading any more of these
Ellen Hamilton
I'm having a hard time deciding how many stars to rate this book. It is decidedly vulgar, and some of the main characters are such villainous creatures. However, the story was so well-written, and I kinda enjoyed the reading experience.

The story is like a cross between Wuthering Heights and some whodunit mystery. The main guy is a zillion times worse than Heathcliff, yet (view spoiler). Or maybe he is. 🤨 And the real culprit, well, (view spo
Rob
Mar 07, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
This book picks up with the 1600s story of Linnet and her mother going to meet a possible husband at his home. Staying st an inn, an arrogant landowner arrives and demands to gave their room. After an ugly scene, they keep the room and mame their way to the suitor. On the way back, the landowner pretends to save Linnet from road bandits, and takes he to his castle where he drugs and rapes her and she becomes pregnant. He persuades her to marry him to save her name.

So begins another tale around
MV
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philippa-carr
Another great one in the series and very Gothic. Takes some sad turns as do the others but in ways one may not expect. Hibbert (Carr) does a great job in sketching out engaging characters and making you care about what happens to them.

Notable because ... (major plot point revealed behind the spoiler cover)
(view spoiler)
PrettyFlamingo
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this when I was 18 and could remember nothing about it except the names of two of the characters, so I approached it as if it were a first time reading. What became clear to me is how our reading tastes change over the years.

I feel it is very a good example of gothic fiction with all the key elements in place: the haunted castle, the gloomy and suspicious atmosphere, the supernatural happenings, females in danger and under threat with, in this case, just a whisper of romance. I say
Susanne Doremus
A dark gothic suspense novel that is hard to put down. It has everything, spooky castles, stormy seas, shipwrecks, creepy mysterious ladies, a not-so-bright damsel in some super distress who has a very unhealthy relationship w the villain, etc... I was a little thrown by the switch of narrator 2/3 through the book and I thought the ending was a little rushed. This is a series so maybe the next book will address some issues that were glossed over? A fun read if you like this genre. There is adult ...more
Stacy
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if I can finish this series if I have to read about another rape is love pairing.
Michelle "Champ"
As the series progresses things get more dangerous. This one will have a story with twists and turns and an investigation of how a murder could happen right under everyone's noses. After the murder, this one lacks a bit for me which is probably why we don't hear much of Linett's daughter after this book. It is still a worthy read to see how Linett died.
Victoria Holt, J...: Final chapter: The Devil's Teeth 9 13 Sep 30, 2014 07:26AM

• Vestido de novia
  • Whispers
  • Myths and Mortals (Numina #2)
  • The French Gardener
  • La petite fille de Monsieur Linh
  • Dear and Glorious Physician
  • Dos crímenes
  • Fruta verde
  • Katherine
  • Siege and Sacrifice (Numina #3)
  • Mistress of Mellyn
  • Mistress of Rome (The Empress of Rome, #1)
  • The Other
  • The Last Passenger (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #0.3)
  • A Study in Death (Lady Darby Mystery #4)
  • The Road to Paradise Island
  • The Silver Witch
  • Priest of Bones (War for the Rose Throne, #1)
Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subject matter between her books; the best-known, apart from Plaidy, are Victoria Holt (56 million) and Philippa Carr (3 million). ...more

Daughters of England (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Miracle at St. Bruno's (Daughters of England, #1)
  • The Lion Triumphant (Daughters of England, #2)
  • Saraband for Two Sisters (Daughters of England, #4)
  • Lament for a Lost Lover (Daughters of England, #5)
  • The Love Child (Daughters of England #6)
  • The Song of the Siren (Daughters of England, #7)
  • Will You Love Me in September (Daughters of England, #8)
  • The Adulteress (Daughters of England, #9)
  • Knave of Hearts (Daughters of England, #10)
  • Voices in a Haunted Room (Daughters of England, #11)