Start by marking “A History of Zionism” as Want to Read:
A History of Zionism

A History of Zionism

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  171 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
s/t: From the French Revolution to the Establishment of the State of Israel
Discusses the European background, the prehistory of the movement, five decades of Zionist activities, and ends with the establishement of the state of Israel.
Published May 20th 2003 by Schocken (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about A History of Zionism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A History of Zionism

Haythem Bastawy
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book, it stands tall amongst the histories which impressed me most. For the first time, I managed to look at Zionism and the Zionist state through semi-neutral eyes. Full of details, written almost on an encyclopedic scale, it is bound to have some repititions as the author tell the story and retells concentrating on each aspect of it. I will keep this book in my library as a landmark in my journey of mental cultivation. I am still an ardent opponant to the Zionist state, not jus ...more
Mark Hoffman
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dry as a bone, but I dare you to find a more thorough overview of Zionism.
Namrirru
Jul 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, politics
A must read for anyone interested in Middle Eastern politics. It's slightly biased, some white-washing, but a discerning reader shouldn't have any trouble recognizing those spots.
Sidney Davis
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I understand Zionism very well now.
Harold Citron
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, jews, israel
A long and detailed walk through the development of political Zionism in its myriad forms, following the emergence of Herzl through the founding of the modern Jewish state of Israel. The book provides the reader with not just the marriage between the religious vision of Judaism with the emergent political landscape of emancipation that led to the idea of Jews becoming enablers of their own fate, but the deep wells of anti-Semitism that both created the need for a haven from the growing violence, ...more
Matthew
Nov 08, 2012 rated it liked it
It was a thorough analysis of the history of Zionism almost too thorough.
Alex Lee
Aug 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, 2016
I get why Zionism happened. As someone who is both 2nd and 3rd generation, this country is my home, although I have had a status of partial outsider for most of my time here. There is nowhere else to go, but because of how I look, most of the older generation (at least) will always see me as not quite belonging). So yeah, the desire for having a place of their own led Jews who were historically home-but-outsiders to want the same thing.

Yet disgustingly, anything you can imagine saying about Zion
John Devlin
Jul 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Excellent at covering the social and intellectual strains that developed Zionism. From Mendlesohn to Herzl, Weizmann, and Jabotinsky, Laqueur does a strong job of detailing the personalities and the infighting that enveloped so much of the Zionist Movement.

Two points stand out. Without Anti-semitism in the form of pogroms throughout early European history there is no wanderlust for a Jewish state and without the Holocaust Israel doesn't happen.
Internally, Israel's beginning is a lottery win. Onl
Alex Goldstein
Oct 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
Очень подробная книга о политической истории сионизма. К сожалению, в основном это именно политическая история - то есть, бесконечные описания фракций, съездов, расколов, крупных и мелких деятелей, писем и телеграмм, меморандумов и деклараций. Реальные события в Палестине и в диаспоре упоминаются вскользь, фоном. Как исторический труд, это наверное ценная книга, но для общего чтения она слишком однобока и слишком подробна.
Забавно, что практически все фамилии разнообразных деятелей, даже мелких,
Spencer Wilson
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great account of the Zionist movement from start to finish. When there are so many misconceptions, false zeitgeists, and general ignorance about what Zionism is today, this book is an exhaustively researched cure for the afore mentioned woes. No groundless, disturbingly Right Winged conspiracy theories dressed up as "left wing anti establishment truth seeking" here, just well researched historical fact.
Waqar Hassan
Jul 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: books
The German names, places and terms used in this book are certainty impossible for me, as it takes away any interest that rarely grow. If you like reading dictionaries or encyclopedias than this is the book for you and as for me I compare my experience reading this book to hard boring manual labour except your doing it with your mind. The book is highly opinionated and not at all neutral/factual as it should be.
Stephen Koffler
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Still very relevant and objective in understanding the roots of the conflict. To have a strong point of view. you really need to read this.
Adam Hummel
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Long read, exceptionally well-researched, big time commitment but happy I read it.
Orde
May 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: israel
never finished it. a thorough history of zionism but rather dry to read.
Arlian Sorkal
Mar 06, 2014
Shek
Jun 25, 2007
Iskandar Ahmad Abdalla
Oct 21, 2010
Khurram Qureshi
rated it did not like it
Jan 29, 2013
Nov 13, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Battle for Gotham: New York in the Shadow of Robert Moses and Jane Jacobs
  • Resurrecting Pompeii
  • American-Made: The Enduring Legacy of the WPA: When FDR Put the Nation to Work
  • American Passage: The History of Ellis Island
  • The White War: Life and Death on the Italian Front 1915-1919
  • Millionaire: The Philanderer, Gambler, and Duelist Who Invented Modern Finance
  • Rights of Man, Common Sense and Other Political Writings
  • The Story of the Scrolls: The Miraculous Discovery and True Significance of the Dead Sea Scrolls
  • The Gates of November
  • In the Valley of the Kings: Howard Carter and the Mystery of King Tutankhamun's Tomb
  • A History of Israel: From the Rise of Zionism to Our Time (Second Edition, Revised and Updated)
  • Grunts: Inside the American Infantry Combat Experience, World War II Through Iraq
  • The Publisher: Henry Luce and His American Century
  • The Templars: History & Myth
  • The Transfer Agreement: The Dramatic Story of the Secret Pact Between the Third Reich and Jewish Palestine
  • Crisis and Command: A History of Executive Power from George Washington to George W. Bush
  • Panama Fever: The Epic Story of One of the Greatest Human Achievements of All Time-the Building of the Panama Canal
  • 1967: Israel, the War, and the Year that Transformed the Middle East
Laqueur was born in Breslau, Lower Silesia, Prussia (modern Wrocław, Poland), into a Jewish family. In 1938, he left Germany for the British Mandate of Palestine. His parents, who were unable to leave, became victims of the Holocaust.

Laqueur lived in Israel from 1938 to 1953. After one year at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, he joined a Kibbutz and worked as an agricultural laborer from 1939 t
More about Walter Laqueur...