Start by marking “Perfect Ruin (The Internment Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Perfect Ruin (The Internment Chronicles, #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Perfect Ruin (The Internment Chronicles #1)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  8,322 Ratings  ·  1,380 Reviews
On the floating city of Internment,you can be anything you dream - a novelist or a singer, a florist or a factory worker... Your life is yours to embrace or to squander. There's only one rule: you don't approach THE EDGE. If you do, it's already over.

Morgan Stockhour knows getting too close to the edge of Internment, the floating city and her home, can lead to madness. Eve
Published October 1st 2013 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

Khanh (the meanie)

Don’t focus on the edge. Stay inside the tracks. Stay in this little place where awful things happen, but where beauty hides in beams of sunlight, in the green grass and the gentle lapping of the lake forming and destroying watery shapes. Ignore the men in uniforms that stand at length, sullying the image. They’ll be gone soon. Everything will go back to normal.
A beautifully written book that is superior to most YA dystopian novels I have read this year. The world building is intricate, the ma
Navessa
If I tried to explain this book to you, our conversation would probably go something like this:

Morgan lives in a city in the sky. Below this hunk of floating rock, earth. Her people stare down at us, copy our advancements, and wonder what it’s like down here. For some, this becomes a deadly fixation and they become either so enamored by the idea of us, or so desperate to escape their small world, that they hurl themselves over the edge. Her brother is one of these, they’re called jumpers.

Is one
Sydney
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Guys.. I finished it. Review to come. But seriously. Read it. ReaditreaditreaditREADIT

--------- Original Reaction ------

Another DeStefano series?

My reaction to the premise?

Release date?

UPDATE:

WHOA WHOA WHOA It's coming out THIS YEAR NOW!

Read all my reviews at www.rattlethestars.com
Beth
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fantasy
Guys.

Hey guys.

You wanna read this one.
Giselle
Aug 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, own
Perfect Ruin has a fantastic concept with the same easy flowing writing from DeStefano's Chemical Garden series. Constrained on this island the size of a fist, we're taken into the life of Morgan who's been starting to wonder what's over the edge. The one thing that is forbidden to all residents of this floating city. Oh did I forget to mention that part? Yes, the city is floating somewhere above earth. This lone city. With people. Living there!

Not only is this place the size of a cracker, but
Edward's Ghost Engine (also known as.......... Jinky Spring)
Review also here

On reading the synopsis of this book (and on hearing the supposed creation story of Internment) I was reminded of this song..

oh those childhood memories...

The first three quarters of this book are setting up the world and characters with most of it describing Morgan's daily life and descriptions of Internment. Normally I hate books that are supposed to be something out of the ordinary but instead go on about the daily lives of th
Whitney Atkinson

This book is my favorite simply because it is so beautiful. From the chapter titles to the inside flaps to the actual cover, it's a gorgeously designed book. I wish the story inside matched the appearance. But this is just your typical dystopian. The setting was interesting, being an island in the clouds, but the plot was completely typical of any dystopian-- corrupt, lying government, naive citizens, rebel institution, escape, etc.-- and with characters that weren't very memorable and
Lindsay Cummings
What a gorgeous book. I have been a fan of Lauren DeStefano since I first read Wither a few years back. Her writing is on another level. Every word, every sentence, seems flawlessly stitched together. Her characters practically soar off of the page. This story has a fabulous plot line. Super unique, just like the world of Internment, which floats in the clouds. It begins with Morgan, a girl who dreams of going to the edge: it is forbidden, yet it calls to her every day. Morgan just wants to be n ...more
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
I GOT A FREAKIN' ARC!!!
 photo 282859_10151870408082150_231554870_n_zps43689983.jpg

Um, yeah, it was that good I finished it in a day (kids bugging me and all!). EXCELLENT! Review to come!

I want to give a huge thank you to Simon and Schuster, who sent me an ARC of this book when I requested it. I am eternally grateful for having this opportunity as this is a book I have been really looking forward to reading. Receiving this book for free has in now way influenced my opinion or review.

Blurb from Goodreads:
On Internment, the floating island in the clouds
Lisa
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-my-collection
OMG!!! Another Lauren DeStefano series I LIKE THAT SHIT!!!!

Macarena Yannelli
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cualquiera que le gusten las distopias :)
3,75
Una muy buena distopia. Hacía bastante que no leía una y esta particularmente me encanto. La idea general del libro es muy interesante y Lauren Destefano no tiene pelos en la lengua para traer a colación temas tabu o conflictivos en la sociedad de hoy en día.
Se los recomiendo guys :)
Reseña completa en Gracias a los Libros
PD: El cover-change de esta saga es perfecto. Las portadas anteriores son bellas pero se veían muy infantiles :/
Bonnie

Morgan Stockhour is a resident of Interment, an island that has been separated from Earth and now floats above it in the sky. Internment possesses the ideal conditions of a Utopian society until the shocking murder of a young girl leaves everyone feeling unsafe.

‘You have all heard the warnings about the edge. We have been told its winds are a song that will hypnotize us, and by the time we awaken from the trance, it will be too late.’

The warnings to not peer over the edge, to look down on Eart
~Tina~
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read Lauren's debut novel, Wither, and while the idea behind that particular story-line didn't blend well with what I look for in an escape, I still enjoyed Lauren's strong and passionate writing skills and was anxious to read a new book by her. I'm happy to say that the Perfect Ruin was the perfect book to reintroduce myself with Lauren's work. I found it refreshingly unique, intriguing, suspenseful and even romantic. Simply put, I loved it.

High above the clouds is an oval floating city ca
Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri}
The Internment Chronicles is Lauren DeStefano's first venture outside the world of The Chemical Gardens series, which brought her to fame. While I expected Perfect Ruin to be less enjoyable than the Chemical Gardens (simply because it's hard to top), I'm still very disappointed by it. Perfect Ruin had an interesting premise but the execution was simply subpar.

Perfect Ruin takes place on a postage stamp sized utopia called the 'Internment'. The name itself does not exactly sound very promising, b
Louisa
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of well-written YA dystopian
"We have the free will to stay on this side of the train tracks. If we cross over to the other side, we get too close to the edge, and it mystifies us. We see how infinite the sky is and we lose our senses. Even the people we love most disappear from our thoughts in that moment."

Gorgeous writing + careful and well-developed world-building + fleshed-out characters = a win for the genre. This is certainly one of the best examples of how young adult dystopian/utopian can be done well. The romance
Gillian Berry

Rating: Blah and boring for 200 pages, and then the ending is amazing. HOW DO I RATE THAT? 1-2 star beginning, 3-4 star end. ANNOYING.

Originally posted at Writer of Wrongs

What an odd thing this book was. I was all set to give it two stars and a shrug. I was even flirting with a DNF at one point. But because I purchased it, and it happens to be the prettiest book in all the land, I persevered. The beginning of this book is unbelievably boring, despite the stellar world-building, occasionally gorg
Cesar
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

“You have all heard the warnings about the edge. We have been told its winds are a song that will hypnotize up, and by the time we awaken from that trance, it will be too late."

Holy crap. I had this book in my shelves for over 3 years. 3 Years! I bought the book shortly after I finished Lauren DeStefano's other series, the Chemical Garden series, and I was looking forward to reading it. I liked the Chemical Garden trilogy. It had its few bumps along the way, but it was a good series. So I
Anne
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Believe me, you will have lots of questions when you close the book. If you go into the story knowing this, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
I'm still thinking about the story days later, so I think it deserves at least 4 stars. And while it might not be for everyone, I enjoyed it.

The book focuses on Morgan and her journey, rather than on giving you answers about the world she lives in. The world building for the city of Internment felt complete, but the reason for Internment to exist is a t
Pam Victorio
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved DeStefano's first trilogy and I was ready to devour the second one. I don't know what I'll do until I have the second book in my hands.

The characters were many but I felt they were all fleshed out and had their own quirks that made them each interesting. If DeStefano is a master at anything it is characterizations and world building. I want to talk more about the world but I don't want to spoil you.

It's a wonderful book!
Jodi Meadows
It's like the Hunger Games, but with otters.**

**I dunno. I haven't read it yet. But I want to help make one of Lauren's dreams come true.
Hannah
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I feel like this book is hard to give a synopsis of without going off on a huge tangent so I'll try to sum it up as best I can. Basically Perfect Ruin is sort of a dystopian set on a city called Internment which floats in the sky above Earth. The people of Internment have never been to earth and we don't know exactly why or how this floating city came to be, but the citizens have their own religion and beliefs about it. Some people try to jump off Internment to the Earth below but the winds alwa ...more
Erica
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: enjoyable
REVIEW

Lauren DeStefano is consistently a four-star author; even though she’s my favorite author, I have to rate her fairly. Where all her novels in The Chemical Garden Trilogy meandered, Perfect Ruin actually has a focused plot.

Writing

Lauren DeStefano is known for her beautiful prose. However, I feel Perfect Ruin isn’t as beautifully written as her Chemical Garden Trilogy, though beautifully written nonetheless.

Characters

Morgan is a bland protagonist, and her betrothed, Basil, is even blander.
Anushka
I read a YA fantasy after a gap of about a year, I guess and of course it had to be Lauren deStefano. Her Chemical Garden series left a such a deep mark on me that I will come back to read anything she writes in the future.

Perfect Ruin is a decent book and I don't consider my time being wasted, so that's a good thing. The writing is just as I expected, detailed descriptions and a narration full of splendour. All the characters, not just the lead, follow the same course and are superbly developed
Ben Babcock
Meehhhhhhhhhh?

I’m not sure what prompted me to grab a book so obviously in the dystopian YA camp. I guess it’s that bad habit of reading widely—I mean, it’s great in the sense that I discover books I love I might not have read otherwise. But it means I tend to read a lot of books that I find mediocre even when I know others are going to love them. It’s one thing to rip into a book that is legitimately terrible and another to lob half-hearted critiques at a book I don’t actually feel passion for,
Neil (or bleed)
Perfect Ruin had ruined me perfectly. Okay, not perfectly, but almost. The book was haunting and gripping at first and haunting and gripping at second. Hehe. Basically, Perfect Ruin is a great read.

The first time I've read the blurb that the story was taken place in a floating city, I am like, 'Okay! You got me!'. It isn't always that I encounter books that has a setting in a floating city so this was kind of interesting already. And If I am not mistaken, this is the first time I have read one.
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
Floating City in the Sky...

First off, the covers for this series are just gorgeous! But what I fell in love with the most, was the concept -a floating city in the sky where you can be anything you want to be as long as you follow one rule. Don't go close to the edge!

The world building was really unique and well thought out. I enjoyed learning about the city of Internment and the society that they live in. The main characters were also really likable and I even enjoyed the romance between Morga
Elaine

I was actually so ready to write this book off because I was just not connecting to any of it, but somehow, I don't know what or how exactly, at the 90+% mark, something just clicked and I will be giving the series another chance with the second book. I would still shelf this under one of those 'it's not you, it's me' cases for my rating because I think this is one of those books where it will work for some but not others, and it's not because of bad writing whatsoever. Quite the contra
hayden
Aug 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

my goal was to read this trilogy in a waking day, but i started too late. i did still end up reading it in a 24-hour period, so i'll consider my goal accomplished.
  • Tandem (Many-Worlds, #1)
  • Starglass (Starglass, #1)
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
  • Arclight (Arclight, #1)
  • Linked (Linked #1)
  • Blackout (Blackout, #1)
  • One (One Universe, #1)
  • Burn Bright (Night Creatures, #1)
  • Gated (Gated, #1)
  • The Uprising (The Forsaken, #2)
  • Entangled (Entangled, #1)
  • Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #1)
  • Unbreakable (The Legion, #1)
  • Inhuman (Fetch, #1)
  • Revelations (The Elysium Chronicles, #2)
  • Once We Were (The Hybrid Chronicles, #2)
  • Rush (The Game, #1)
  • Unbreathable

The Internment Chronicles (3 books)
  • Burning Kingdoms (The Internment Chronicles, #2)
  • Broken Crowns (The Internment Chronicles, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Queens of Geek
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Been Here All Along
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • Bad Boy
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • A Severed Wasp: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
“Every star has been set in the sky. We mistakenly think they were put there for us.” 59 likes
“So many of the things I've wanted are the things I've been taught to fear.” 48 likes