Start by marking “Sex & Violence” as Want to Read:
Sex & Violence

Sex & Violence

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,676 Ratings  ·  347 Reviews
AT FIRST YOU DON'T SEE THE CONNECTION.

Sex has always come without consequences for seventeen-year-old Evan Carter. He has a strategy--knows the profile of The Girl Who Would Say Yes. In each new town, each new school, he can count on plenty of action before he and his father move again. Getting down is never a problem. Until he hooks up with the wrong girl and finds himsel
Published October 1st 2013 by Carolrhoda LAB (first published August 13th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Sex & Violence, please sign up.

Sarah They're essentially nonexistent. There's just a random sentence here and there, and that's in flashback or casual discussion with another person.…moreThey're essentially nonexistent. There's just a random sentence here and there, and that's in flashback or casual discussion with another person. Whatever you think this book is, I can tell by your question you're probably wrong. It's ok -- it isn't what I thought it would be either. By the title, I was actually expecting a lot more content of the title subjects, but there was hardly any. Just a couple of random incidents, and then an entire book about going to therapy, writing letters, getting over PTSD and making new friends. (less)
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow RowellThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakI Am the Messenger by Markus ZusakThe Sea of Tranquility by Katja MillayThe Adventures of Superhero Girl by Faith Erin Hicks
YALSA 2014 Best of the Best
8th out of 85 books — 28 voters
Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuireTangled by Emma ChaseDare You To by Katie McGarryLosing Hope by Colleen HooverPlatform 21 by T.R. Patrick
YA Male POV 2013
10th out of 32 books — 55 voters

More lists with this book...

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)
DNF @ 28%. This is my last day of vacations and I’m done trying to care. The first couple of chapters drew me in and I genuinely thought that Sex & Violence would win me because of the raw narrative and the original way sexual issues were handled (I did feel a little uncomfortable with the manner the MC « classed » women, though). However, it was without counting on the snorefest it became and I feel no connection whatsoever with any of these characters.

I’m out of Evan’s head, who, by the w
Wendy Darling
Fantastic narrative voice, and definitely an author to watch. I'd strongly recommend this book to mature YA readers who seek books that deal with serious subjects in a non-self-pitying way, especially those who appreciate moral ambiguity and realism in their stories.

International Giveaway for an autographed copy of Sex & Violence is here: http://www.themidnightgarden.net/2013...

Review copy provided by the publisher. Full text of the review is on the blog.
Jeanne
Jun 17, 2014 Jeanne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, ya, new-adult
One of the Best Books of the Year

Disclaimer: I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Trigger Warnings and Some Words about Sex in YA/NA fiction

This book addresses the aftermath of violence and sexual assault, as well as the devastating effects of PTSD. If the mentions of these topics are a potential issue for you I would caution you, but I wouldn’t discourage you from reading.

In fact, I feel this book should be on high school reading lists. It is one of the most ho
Keertana
Nov 08, 2013 Keertana rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5 Stars

I am, largely, speechless when it comes to Sex & Violence. Obviously, its title is an eye-catcher, not to mention its cover, but the majority of my inability to articulate coherent phrases stems from the fact that I - still - find it difficult to decipher my feelings for this novel. While I firmly believe that Mesrobian's debut is brilliant, touching upon "taboo" subjects with a prose that is both gripping and poignant, I cannot claim to have wholly loved it, heart and soul.
Rose
Initial reaction: Yeah, I'll have to think about this one. Evan's account and voice was very good, I definitely appreciated the story on many levels as to how it pulled me into the narrative and didn't let go. I did have a few issues with it, but overall, I really liked this first read from Carrie Mesrobian.

Full review:

Beautifully written and compelling novel in Carrie Mesrobian's "Sex & Violence" - I would personally put this among my favorites for its subject matter alongside Laurie Halse
Trish Doller
Feb 17, 2013 Trish Doller rated it it was amazing
Sex & Violence is an absolutely unrelenting look at life after physical and emotional trauma. It's dark and sometimes painful to watch, but it hurts even more to look away. Evan's story will sit with me for a very long time.

(I blurbed this book. That's what I said.)
Heather
Jul 09, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: october-2013

I first heard about Sex & Violence after noticing on Goodreads that a favorite author was reading it. Later, I featured it in a Waiting on Wednesday post and it turned out to be one of the most viewed Wow's I ever posted. Let's be honest: the title probably had a lot to do with it. Whether it intrigues you, shocks you or repulses you, I think it's safe to say that the title is an attention grabber.

But it's the synopsis of the book that really hooked me as a reader. First off male POV'S are A
Brie
THIS BOOK WAS ABSOLUTE SHIT.

So much shit.

Bull shit.
Horse shit.
Llama shit.
Bat shit.
BUMBLEBEE SHIT.

"A knockout blow of a debut. Powerful, funny, brutal, and true." - Gayle Forman

BRUTAL IS THE ONLY TRUE DESCRIPTION IN THAT REVIEW. It was brutal, brutally boring and gross. So much in fact that I wished Muhammad Ali would've came and KNOCKED ME THE FUCK OUT.

Utterly gripping." - Kirkus Reviews

AN UTTER FUCKING SNOREFEST. And when I wasn't snoring, I wanted to throat punch EVERY. FUCKING. CHARACTER.

"Mes
Jonetta
Sex has always come without consequence for seventeen-year-old Evan. It was easy for him, even. That is, until he hooks up the wrong girl and finds himself in the wrong place at very much the wrong time. After an assault that leaves Evan scarred inside and out, he and his father retreat to the family cabin in rural Minnesota—which, ironically, turns out to be the one place where Evan can't escape other people. Including himself. Yet it may also offer him his best shot at making sense of his life ...more
Jay
Aug 01, 2015 Jay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2013
SEX & VIOLENCE

At first you don’t see the connection...

And then you get the absolute living shit beaten out of you for fucking with the wrong girl! Well, that’s not entirely true, said girl had an arsehole ex that couldn’t accept that she was no longer his & he had an equally arseholey friend that would stick by him through ANYTHING! But still, you get the living crap beaten out of you and your whole life is irrevocably changed forever!

This causes a massive realisation for Evan, he comes
Sandra
Available in October 2013

This is the kind of book that gives the YA genre a good name, especially considering that it's told entirely from Evan's 17 yo POV, with a huge does of realism that is so often missing.

He's not really a likable character. His mother died, and he doesn't have a close relationship with his father. Like any 17 yo, he constantly has sex on the brain. With what should be classified as man-whore behavior, he will delete a girl's phone number from his phone as soon as the hook
Mari
Feb 21, 2016 Mari rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-english
(Lots of spoilers and incorrect English ahead.)
(Also, GR, don't edit my reviews without notifying me wtf??)

So, the back of the cover says,
"This is one hell of an impressive debut, filled with a persuasive undercurrent of fear, tension, and uncertainty you get from staring down into the deepest, darkest, coldest lake. Sex & Violence deserves shelf space alongside the classics of adolescent-themed fiction."
-- Andrew Smith, author of Winger and The Marbury Lens
and uh, no.

I mean, i don't kno
Aaron Hartzler
Aug 26, 2013 Aaron Hartzler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, fiction
The voice of the male protagonist in this book is the most riveting I’ve read in a long time. Carrie Mesrobian has crafted an ambitious first novel that weaves a young man's painfully authentic interior life with subjects and themes as diverse as lake ecology and feminism. The result is a gripping, tense portrait of one teen guy's struggle with his own emotional scars and demons. There isn't a single false note here. The language is spare, economical, and brutal. The result is a compulsively rea ...more
Stacy Fetters
Mar 26, 2016 Stacy Fetters rated it liked it
The main reason why I picked to read this was because of the title. The Exploited made a song with the same name and today I had an Exploited dance party at my house. Punk is still alive.
Starts off with Evan being a womanizing teen until an incident changes his life forever. He would hook up with any girl that would say yes. And soon after, he would forget all about her.
New school in North Carolina, he meets Collette and they start a secret relationship. Things goes from secret to brutal and i
Jenni Arndt
Nov 12, 2013 Jenni Arndt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: purchased-ebook
This book has solidified the thought in my mind that my bloggy friends know what I will like better than I do. This book came to me highly recommended by 3 very reliable sources in my life and I have to take a moment to thank Kara, Christina and Wendy for bringing this book to my attention because somehow this one went completely under my radar until they brought it up to me. Sex & Violence blew me away, I was so invested in Evan’s story and I found myself enraptured in the slow transformati ...more
Erica
Mar 13, 2013 Erica rated it it was amazing
Damn. This book is good.
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner

I was sitting here for 41 minutes, staring at the screen, trying to figure out what to say about this book. What to say to make people want to buy it and read it? Should I beg? Please, please, read it!

The story starts of with Evan being a know-it-all and a ladies man. He knows how to get a girl to sleep with him and one day it all goes terribly wrong when (view spoiler). After that Evan can't even shower be
Isamlq
Oct 29, 2013 Isamlq rated it really liked it
It’s more than coping, though the same makes up a big portion of this. Sure, half of this is about where he’s going but the other half is where he’s been; a lot of this is how the latter’s shaped (redirected?) the former, so that there are stretches of Evan figuring out who he was, where he is, and why; but there’s the unexpected given ‘new place’ and his past left long ways behind… only that’s not what happens, or not just what happens; because in the meantime, we’ve others’ pasts/presents/futu ...more
Jody
I was wavering between three and four stars but finally went with four, partially because I was so pleasantly surprised by this book. (Not that it was a pleasant story.) I bought this for my library largely because of the title - a book called Sex & Violence should fly off the shelves. But I didn't expect there to be so much substance, or for it to handle the topics so well.

Evan has always been kind of a player, zeroing in on girls he could get to sleep with him. Then, one day, he gets jumpe
RedRedtheycallmeRed
Apr 06, 2014 RedRedtheycallmeRed rated it liked it
I checked out this Kindle book from my local library, the provocative title captured my interest and the premise looked promising.

I wasn't as wowed as I thought I'd be, while it was good, it lacked the emotional punch I was expecting. The story dragged at times (especially during the Minnesota history lessons), I found my mind wandering.

I guess I was expecting more of an emotional journey from Evan. Instead, I read about a summer filled with him making new friends, smoking weed, drinking and hav
Asheley
Nov 08, 2013 Asheley rated it it was amazing
This review is one of the hardest I probably will write because what I really want to do, rather than write it and post it online, is just sit down with everyone and just TALK ABOUT IT. There is so much depth to this book, to this amazing main character, and to this fantastic secondary cast of characters that I feel like any review that I write (however long it is) just won't be enough nor do the book any justice.

Read my full Three-Things Review HERE at Into the Hall of Books.

The first thing y
Tara
Jun 09, 2013 Tara rated it really liked it
This is not the book to read if you are looking for something uplifting and happy. And I guess the title kinda gives that away.
To begin with, I didn't really feel anything for Evan. He was just a guy who liked having sex with girls and whose father moved him around to lots of new schools. But then he got the shit kicked out of him, and he changed. Throughout most of the book I just felt an overwhelming sadness for Evan. He was going through a traumatic time after what happened to him but also, i
Jen
Nov 10, 2013 Jen added it
Check out the full review, and an author interview on my blog, YA Romantics

I had decided to pass on Sex & Violence, because I'm overloaded with stuff to read. Also because the title put me off a little. It's an intimidating, in-your-face kind of title. Then I read the summary (I'm not completely superficial!) and thought that sounded pretty intense too. But Heather @ The Flyleaf Review was really enthusiastic about Sex & Violence, so I gave it a try.

I'm really glad I did. Yes, there is
Alanna Ault
Sep 19, 2013 Alanna Ault rated it it was amazing
Carrie, you have outdone yourself! I don't normally read regular fiction, but this one really caught my attention because of its unabashed telling of themes normally skirted around in YA. It was more than anything else, an imaginable story. Evan's voice was right on par with every teenage boy, and I loved him! What a cutie with his Elmo cupcakes and lake baths. The amount of swearing was also quite refreshing, his language was one I could relate to. The story has some pretty dark elements to it, ...more
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Originally posted at http://smexybooks.com/2013/10/review-...

Seventeen year old Evan Carter has never considered the consequences of having random sex. From the age of fifteen, Evan has used sex as a way to connect and combat the loneliness of having a father who’s never there and being forced to continuously move. He purposely selects girls who are “not normal.” Girls who will let you sleep with them on the first date. When Evan messes with the wrong girl, he finds himself the victim of violenc
Victoria
Jun 10, 2013 Victoria rated it really liked it
Shelves: wow-just-wow
WOW! WOW! WOW! I finished this two days ago, but I have not been able to write this until now. I was left raw. There were times in the book when I cried, I yelled, I laughed, I sympathized, I wanted to punch his father, I wanted to punch him, I...just wow! It has been a while since I was left feeling like this about a book. It was like a slap to the face, and I loved it!

I received Sex & Violence as an ARC via NetGalley via Carolrhoda LAB.
Dennis Osterhagen
Aug 18, 2015 Dennis Osterhagen rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

I really liked this book, but I wasn't entirely satisfied with the ending. It was a bit too open-ended, which left me a bit disappointed. It's a shame, really, as the book had so much potential and it had a lot going for it, but the last few chapter let me down a bit. The author could have added a couple more chapters to the book, to show what happened when the Baker returned, what happened between Evan and Jordan. I would have loved to read all about that, but alas.
Also, what happene
Amanda Cresse
How does one go on after a traumatic attack that has left deep scars? Both, physical & emotional scars that keep reopening... Sex and Violence takes the reader through a painful healing process. I know this is a story that many young adults can relate to and sympathize with. It has served as a reminder to me that we never know the battle that someone is facing within. And, is a very timely story about the damaging effects of bullying.

The story is told from the point of view of 17-year-old Ev
Kelly
May 10, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
I think this is going to piss a lot of readers off. But that's the point. Also, it is at times funny and then completely heartbreaking, and there is no shying away from either the sex nor the violence. And I'd never quite made the connection in this way until this book.

Longer review to come.
Katie
Jan 17, 2014 Katie rated it it was amazing
For a brief moment I dated a long-time friend named Evan (strange coincidence). Our friendship and relationship for that matter was mainly rooted in our individual dysfunctions. I lost that friend after that turn to a relationship, and while it is no surprise, I missed talking to him about music and having those deep philosophical conversations over beers that only make sense in your 20s. Some relationships are doomed to fail from the beginning because they begin out of the remnants of negativit ...more
  • Chasing Shadows
  • Charm & Strange
  • Black Helicopters
  • King of Marbury (The Marbury Lens #1.5)
  • Scowler
  • Dime
  • All American Boys
  • Cadillac Chronicles
  • Reality Boy
  • I'm With Stupid (Stupid Fast, #3)
  • Dr. Bird's Advice for Sad Poets
  • How It Went Down
  • Shadow on the Sun (Hell's Cross, #3)
  • Hostage Three
  • Uses for Boys
  • Kindness for Weakness
  • Meet Me at the River
  • Infandous
Hello!

PLEASE NOTE: I do all my bookish things on BookLikes now:

carriemesrobian.booklikes.com

This profile will remain but I won't be here frequently to answer messages or respond to notifications. My email's below if you'd like to contact me apart from here or BookLikes.

I teach teenagers about writing and books at The Loft Literary Center in Minneapolis.

Here is my main author site, where you can
More about Carrie Mesrobian...

“... I believe strongly in condoms. They avert babies and disease. They make you seem responsible, not slutty. They make the girl relax too, because you’re taking care of the risky part. Like you’re a professional. Roll it on, squeeze the tip, turn back to her, ready, set go. Like I’d just done a little disappearing act on myself and became something confident and wonderful. You can’t see through my latex disguise! You will love this so let’s get down! You don’t want to know how many times this worked in my favor.
God I feel like a fucking asshole sometimes. All the time, really.”
2 likes
“Though I’d never hit anyone before, the thought of smashing my father’s face sounded pretty satisfying.” 0 likes